As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

next day pill question! [update: everything worked out]

FoodFood Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
hey guys. so last night my girlfriend and I were having protected sex and we thought the condom might have slipped a little so just to be safe I picked up some emergency contraceptives this morning. she took them around 5:30 this afternoon and everything seemed okay. well, we ended up having sex again tonight (poor choice?) and as luck would have it the same thing happened! this was around 9:30. normally I'd be happy to go buy the pill again but I'm a broke college student and I won't have the money for a little while. I'm wondering if the pill she took earlier will still be effective for what happened tonight. she took the 2nd pill right after it happened just to be safe but I know this isn't how it's supposed to be done and I want to make sure we'll be okay. please answer soon, we're both a little panicked right now. thanks!

Food on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Did you ejaculate inside of her? Is she on the pill?
    Kids are more expensive than the morning after pill, I can assure you of this. Talk to the pharmacist, they can tell you without a doubt what is up.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    She's not on the pill. I didn't ejaculate inside her but the while I was pulling out the condom slipped off so that it's tip was still inside her. We can't say for sure that any of my ejaculation got inside her but we also can't say for sure that it didn't. I only have about $10.00 to my name right now so I can't afford pills.

If I have to borrow money I will but I'd rather not as I'll have no way of paying anybody back for a long time and on top of that our relationship is kind of a secret right now for reasons that I'd rather not get into. of course it's trivial compared to pregnancy and if I have to borrow money or make our relationship public I will but I'd like to explore other options while I can.

Food on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Broke college student? Go to the clinic, you can often get what you need free or relatively cheap from the school if you have some sort of coverage with them(sometimes without)

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I had a friend that had this same thing happen except the condom actually broke both times. The nurse said that the pill only works for the first day, not the second. The nurse said plan b was needed both times.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    that's a good idea, I'll go as soon as they open tomorrow! my school is incredibly tiny though and it's possible they won't have what I need so I'm still open to advice!

edit: okay. I'm going to talk to my nurse but it seems like I'm going to have to get my hands on a pill somehow. thanks guys, I'll let you know what happens.

Food on
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I know through most online pharmacies your gf could get 3 months of birth control for ridiculously cheap (i.e. $25-30) with an obgyn's 'scrip.

I think $10 a month is cheaper than buying pills when your condom slips and as long as she stays regular has an amazing success rate.

Spherick on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Drop down a size if it's slipping that often. It doesn't have to be a vice on your peeper, but it should be reasonably snug. If you're not using trojan, try them out - the general consensus (which I agree with from experience) in a couple recent condom threads is that they seem to downsize most of their sizes to pad the ego effect of magnums.

Check your local health department as well. Many areas have assisted family planning services. My fiancee didn't have to pay for her birth control at all for a long time.

Hevach on
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    be careful on the plan b pill. my wife took it and it can have some shitty after effect. mini periods and irregular bleeding for a couple days to week and can be pretty painful in cramps and such, consult the pharmacist.

NargorothRiP on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah I'd have her consider going on the pill in the future if you plan to be doing a lot of sexing. It makes mishaps like that less of an "OH SHIT" moment and more of an "hey we were being extra careful, high five we're still probably okay!"

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    No to mention if you're on a college campus, birth control is really, really cheap.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    No to mention if you're on a college campus, birth control is really, really cheap.

Unfortunately not as cheap as it used to be. It used to be that the big companies would sell BC to colleges really cheap in the hopes of developing brand loyalty among the female students, but the laws changed and they can't do that anymore. I think it had something to do with Medicare/Medicaid? Along the lines of you can't sell medications to anyone cheaper than you do to those programs?

But still check into it, I know some private groups tried to subsidize the difference at many colleges. It was ~$7 a month when I was in college to be on BC. Also planned parenthood fees are based on a sliding scale so if you make no money you don't have to pay anything and if you don't make very much you don't pay very much. Planned parenthood will also insert IUDs into nullips on the same sliding scale if your gf is interested in something longer term/non-hormonal.

EDIT: Also, it may be cheaper to get a prescription for a single pack of normal BC and keep it around the house in case this happens again. Her doctor should be able to prescribe one of the brands that works well as after the fact contraception and tell your gf exactly how to take it and that way it would already be in the house as it is more effective if taken immediately despite being popularly called the morning after pill.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    honestly while everyone thinks that if a small minutiae of sperm leaks out you will instantly get pregrnant, its not really the case.

Sure it does happen, but I would say thats the minority. Take it is a lesson on proper withdrawl. You really are supposed to keep one hand on the end when pulling out. Now if its slipping off mid action, then you need to size down

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    thanks for the advice guys. I went to the school health office to talk to someone and everything seems to be okay. there's a planned parenthood center nearby too so we'll visit that later.

the condoms have been slipping off as I'm pulling out when I'm no longer erect. i'm pretty inexperienced at this so it didn't occur to me to keep a hand down there to make sure it stays on. will do in the future.

thanks again, looks like everything is going to be fine.

Food on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That seems to be one thing that nobody ever mentions about condoms. After you ejaculate, make sure it stays on as you pull out, or things can get messy.

:winky:

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    also try and use a condom with spermacide. i noticed alot dont offer that but trojan ultra thins come in spermacide for that extra baby killen power.

NargorothRiP on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    ok, so she's pregnant. missed her period and 2 positive pregnancy tests. we are kind of freaking out! going to planned parenthood as soon as it opens monday. any advice for college kids who can't afford an abortion right out of our pockets?

Food on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Food wrote: »
    ok, so she's pregnant. missed her period and 2 positive pregnancy tests. we are kind of freaking out! going to planned parenthood as soon as it opens monday. any advice for college kids who can't afford an abortion right out of our pockets?

Planned parenthood does everything on a sliding scale. What they charge her will depend on what she makes no matter what services she chooses to access.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kistra wrote: »

Planned parenthood does everything on a sliding scale. What they charge her will depend on what she makes no matter what services she chooses to access.

This is no longer true everywhere. The PP here is now flat fee, as was the PP in my home town before I moved a few years back. They are reduced cost still, just not as reduced as they used to be. Also, not every PP does abortion services, they're still a good first stopping place. They almost all will have people that you can talk to about your options.

Breathe. Before you freak go to PP, get a professional pregnancy test. Talk to someone about your options. If you have to borrow money from friends, family, whoever for the procedure then do so if that is the solution you both want. Talk to your girlfriend. Let her talk to you. Try to think calmly about everything. I know it seems impossible, but just calm down and breathe.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Have a doctor give a pregnancy test before you assume she's definitely pregnant. I'm not a doctor so I don't know the specifics, but the home tests could be thrown off by something - I had an ex that was on the birth control shot and that would make most home tests show up positive even if she wasn't, for example.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Elin wrote: »
    Kistra wrote: »

This is no longer true everywhere. The PP here is now flat fee, as was the PP in my home town before I moved a few years back. They are reduced cost still, just not as reduced as they used to be. Also, not every PP does abortion services, they're still a good first stopping place. They almost all will have people that you can talk to about your options.

If his location is correct every PP in CT does offer abortions and does have the sliding scale.

Have a doctor give a pregnancy test before you assume she's definitely pregnant. I'm not a doctor so I don't know the specifics, but the home tests could be thrown off by something - I had an ex that was on the birth control shot and that would make most home tests show up positive even if she wasn't, for example.

Birth control, including Depo, does not contain hCG and would not cause a false positive. She was either taking something with hGC (unlikely but possible I guess), letting it sit too long or she misread the test.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Birth control, including Depo, does not contain hCG and would not cause a false positive. She was either taking something with hGC (unlikely but possible I guess), letting it sit too long or she misread the test.

I dunno, I was in the room with her when the doctor said the shot would throw off the home tests. I'm not going to pretend I would've understood the reasoning. Maybe the doctor just wanted to bill us for pregnancy tests.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I dunno, I was in the room with her when the doctor said the shot would throw off the home tests. I'm not going to pretend I would've understood the reasoning. Maybe the doctor just wanted to bill us for pregnancy tests.

False positives are not common and getting frequent false positives is incredibly rare. It actually can be a sign of certain illnesses or if they were only happening during a specific time could be because of a chemical pregnancy.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

False positives are not common and getting frequent false positives is incredibly rare. It actually can be a sign of certain illnesses or if they were only happening during a specific time could be because of a chemical pregnancy.

I wasn't clear, we weren't getting false positives all the time - the doctor told us that would happen when she started getting the shot. Anyway, it doesn't matter, the relationship was over like 5 years ago and we're kind of derailing the thread now.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That's... odd. My understanding of pregnancy tests suggests they are based on detecting a hormonal flare that occurs and becomes detectable more than a week (10-12 days) after conception. 6 days is within the barest of the bare minimums... but still.

And you mentioned she's been on plan B this cycle. That can certainly mess with the flow. Dunno about false positives, but its not outside the realm of reason.

I would suggest waiting for about 4 days, buying two kits (two gives you about the same accuracy as a doctors test) and checking again. Then get that shit confirmed with a blood test and conception date. Because the bio-math seems a bit off here.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

you should consider pulling out from here on out.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Very, very few tests can read that early. Chemical pregnancy is a possibility, but the thing about those tests is that they detect the presence of the hormone but can't tell you the level of it. You should really have a blood test done before you freak out.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Havok417Havok417 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well,I have to say,I'm of the opinion that no one should ever have an abortion.You could really screw up your girlfriend long term emotionally and psychologically,and if love has anything to do with it,you won't want that.

You may want to be thankful that she can get pregnant.My sister-in-law has had two miscarriages in the last few months and my own fiance and I have had months of unprotected sex since April with no pregnancy which can mean either she or I are infertile.

In my opinion,its time to step up.Find a job,your school can work around that,or vice-versa and take care of that girl and the baby that YOU put inside her.She deserves your love and respect in a moment like this.If she is willing to have an abortion,then I hope for the best for the two of you,but I can't imagine ever doing that to the woman I love.

Also,the way those pills work is they overload her system with progesterone to convince her bodily systems that it is already pregnant to prevent the pregnancy.It is entirely possible that it is nothing more than a chemical pregnancy.Get a blood test and hope for the best,whichever outcome you think that us.

Havok417 on
  • Options
    AdamBombAdamBomb regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, because it's much better to raise an unwanted child in an unprepared world.

AdamBomb on
    I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    AdamBomb wrote: »
    Yeah, because it's much better to raise an unwanted child in an unprepared world.

We don't need to start an ethical and moral fight here.It was just an opinion.Keep your unneeded quips to yourself please.

Havok417 on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd say unless the OP specifically asks for advice about whether or not to get an abortion, we should stay off that topic period. If he asks for advice on how to get an abortion, we should help him with that and not attempt to convince him otherwise, lest this become a D&D thread.

To stay on topic, OP I think planned parenthood might be your best bet. You can also google for abortion clinics in your area and get information from them. If you're planning on keeping the child, there are plenty of resources for that as well from planned parenthood.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Both of you shut up.

ceres on
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    She can take a pregnancy test a week after her first missed period. If its been a week and she's taken it twice then she's probably pregnant. If she showing any signs of morning sickness (nausea, fatigue, etc)?
    http://www.womenshealth.gov/faq/pregnancy-tests.cfm#d
    I'm sure you've already done it, but make an appointment with PP immediately, you might also want to make an appointment with her doctor if she has a specific one but its up to you two.
    Be honest with the doctor about your monetary situation, they can help you guys out

Also, dont let anyone tell you what to do "moral" wise. Ignore havok and ignore adambomb and everyone else. Nobody cares what they would do or what they think. If your girlfriend wants an abortion, get an abortion.

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also, when/if you go in to have the abortion done, GO WITH HER. There might be picketers (probably not at PP, but at an abortion clinic there is a big chance there are), people harassing her because she's "a murderer" (which is bullshit). Also, abortions can be very hard on the woman emotionally, even if she really does not want a child right now, so stand by her and be supportive.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Also, dont let anyone tell you what to do "moral" wise. Ignore havok and ignore adambomb and everyone else. Nobody cares what they would do or what they think. If your girlfriend wants an abortion, get an abortion.

I concur.But he did ask for advice.I was just giving mine.Didn't mean to start anything.

Havok417 on
  • Options
    AdamBombAdamBomb regular
    edited December 2010
    Havok417 wrote: »
    We don't need to start an ethical and moral fight here.It was just an opinion.

Yes.
    Havok417 wrote: »
    Keep your unneeded quips to yourself please.

Maybe.

AdamBomb on
  • Options
    AdamBombAdamBomb regular
    edited December 2010
    If your girlfriend wants an abortion, get an abortion.

That was actually going to be my point.

AdamBomb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Everyone stop talking about abortion unless the OP asks for abortion-related advice.

ceres on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Er.....I'm not trying to be a problem here,but he did ask.

Havok417 on
  • Options
    AdamBombAdamBomb regular
    edited December 2010
    He asked for advice in the absence of abortion, not relating to abortion.

AdamBomb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    AdamBomb wrote: »
    He asked for advice in the absence of abortion, not relating to abortion.

Which is what I gave,advice in the absence of abortion.I don't want ceres to ban me on my first real week of activity here....

Havok417 on