As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Modest Pile of [CHAT]

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Somebody tried cauliflower....

Was it you?

What I was referring to was the anime show Ouran High School Host club.

I can't think of any aspect of it that I could make an even slightly convincing argument that it is anything other than completely dreadful. Yet despite this, I found myself entertained watching it, and somehow that's almost less satisfying than if I'd hated it to the point where I wanted to throw my monitors out the window to avoid watching it, because at least that would make some kind of logical sense.

Pretty much

Host Club embodies almost every obnoxious bullshit anime romance trope, and yet I can't bring myself to say anything mean about it.

Fugitive on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I haven't watched/really enjoyed an anime in a long ass time. I don't know if its because I dont really stick to series with any commitment anymore, or if anime has just fallen completely out of favor with me.

Iruka on
    edited January 2011
    Just watch Gurren Lagann

Watch it again and again and again forever

Not with dubs tho, those are for baka gaijin

Fugitive on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's because anime stories are fucking dumber than shit.

Also, I think these last 6 months of isolation are finally driving me to madness. Dop:D

wakkawa on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I haven't picked up an anime series per se, but I've watched my fair share of movies.

This one may pique your interest.
    Karas Opening Fight

I promise, d-robe this one is worth your time. The animation is fantastic, and the swordplay after the credits is some of my favorite precious minutes on film. Ever.
    wakkawa wrote: »

And that.
    I can't vouch for the plot, I liked it, super dark and horrifying (especially in Revelations [it was a 2 part movie])

ninjai on
    edited January 2011
    Half of it is I think I got tired of anime symbolized expressions, sometimes you find amazing things like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHmBSfci0yE&feature=related

But Usually its just boring, and I can just laugh at clips and not commit. But yeah, plot. The amount and popularity of harem animes is atrocious.

Iruka on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ninjai, it looks kinda pretty, but it also shows a distinct inability of merging 2D and 3D animation. It looks like 2 different movies stitched together.

Ghibli usually does a good job of this though.

That was hilarious Ruka.

earthwormadam on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am so tired of Japan and our obsession with their dumb culture.

Yeah.

rts on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I agree with cake and there's fuck all any of you can do about it
    I also agree with this.
    Wakkawa wrote:

Mustang on
    edited January 2011
    EWA, true. That particular scene isn't the best example of 2d/3d, but honestly thats the only part in the whole movie when its like that. And its 100% fantastic.

Cake, the only reason I've fascinated by their culture is its fuse of traditional with ultramodern tech. The entire place is fucking cyberpunk.

Not in the sci fi sense, but in a literal sense.

ninjai on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I dunno Japan makes some of the best games so they deserve something for that.

Anime annoys me though- I really don't like all the long static shots that they use to conserve the budget. In a movie where the actor is /acting/ in a still shot like that I don't even notice them but... in a still frame of cartoon my attention just drifts.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited January 2011
    Still shots on actors still blink at least.

Iruka on
    edited January 2011
    Nappuchino wrote:
    I dunno Japan makes some of the best games so they deserve something for that.

I'm going to disagree with this, I could count on one hand the games from Japan that I have thought were worth playing again.

Mustang on
    edited January 2011
    I mean replayability doesnt always account for goodness

Iruka on
    edited January 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Anime annoys me though- I really don't like all the long static shots that they use to conserve the budget.

Truth. I was listening to Venture Bro's season 2 commentary where they talked about the different methods of production.

Film is 24 frames per second, in american animation the character moves every 2 frames, in anime they move every 3rd frame. that's 8 frames per second. Its annoying as fuck.

Like watching a mid 80's computer monitor... that can only display green pixels.

ninjai on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ninjai wrote: »
    I promise, d-robe this one is worth your time. The animation is fantastic, and the swordplay after the credits is some of my favorite precious minutes on film. Ever.

:lol: Haha. Well I watched it all and it felt like cotton candy and Red Bull were being shot into my eyes. Def an acquired taste. Then again, I do love cotton candy..

Iruka, that super-cheesy over the top dub makes it even better.

e: Everything on 3's? I donno, that seems kinda ridiculous.
    It's pretty common in 2d animation (of any origin) to do slower shots on 2's and do fast action on 1's. Even slow walk cycles in anime would look really odd on 3's, not to mention fast action.

e2: Also, I think it's been well established that the best animation is colin's bear animation.
    colin's bear animation.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited January 2011
    I'm thinking mostly of the Shin Megami Tensi games and 90% of the games worth getting for the DS

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

edited January 2011
    like disgaea ds, and advanced wars.... great strategy games :)

ninjai on
    edited January 2011
    The thing with Japanese games that annoys the living piss out of me is that they always hire Japanese voice actors to do American accents and they all sound like a bad 70's movie trailer narrator. Especially Namco, god those soul calibur games make me want to seal my ears up with concrete.

Mustang on
    edited January 2011
    colins bear animation is the pinnacle achievement of art school

I feel like if you like any of the nintendo games, plus katamari demacy, you cant say you hate japanese games. Japanese RPGs are something I have a love hate relationship, but katamari is joy and happiness.

Iruka on
    edited January 2011
    Mustang wrote: »
    The thing with Japanese games that annoys the living piss out of me is that they always hire Japanese voice actors to do American accents and they all sound like a bad 70's movie trailer narrator. Especially Namco, god those soul calibur games make me want to seal my ears up with concrete.

uh.... that happens in like, 3 games. Also that would be kind of considered "accurate" for those characters.

Nappuccino on

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I find the giraffe tribute a fitting compilation of everything Colin did right, plus a giraffe, to be more engaging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTyfqVOFTFc&NR=1

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited January 2011
    Its just a Japanese director with english voice actors, the english accent sounds fucking retarded in certain instanses that Japanese doesn't, but the director doesn't really care about that.

You get those cutesy little girl giggles in japanese? Cute in japanese, but in english, you sound like a slut. Same reason Anime is better in its original language.

ninjai on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The last game from Japan that I actually enjoyed was a Layton game, and that is only because of the distinctly french art style.

rts on
    edited January 2011
    Look just shut up and agree that japanese culture is strange, and only cool if you're trying to impress a hot japanese girl who is into you for some reason.

Mustang on
    edited January 2011
    I'm telling you, I went for 2 weeks, and the entire place is cyberpunk. And their bars/clubs are THE shit. I dare you not to go back after you've been once.

ninjai on
    edited January 2011
    Look just shut up and agree that japanese culture is strange, and only cool if you're trying to impress a hot japanese girl who is into you for some reason.

Jeeze, Mustang, what did MT ever do to you?

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited January 2011
    I would be utterly lost in Tokyo within 5 minutes. Honestly, the place scares the hell out of me.

Mustang on
    edited January 2011

Saying "I really like your strange culture of automated panty dispensers" probably isn't the best way to make hot japanese girl like you.

Nappuccino on

edited January 2011
    D-Robe wrote: »

Jeeze, Mustang, what did MT ever do to you?

He gave me a sandwich that was supposed to be peanut butter and jelly....but there was only peanut butter.
    From that moment on I swore a revenge that would be passed from generation to generation until someone got a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Mustang on
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like some anime still, I guess it's been forever since I've actively sought out a series to watch. I tend to like things that last only like one or two seasons, anything longer than like 26 episodes is too much for me and tends to drag on.

I was bored and hadn't watched anything in awhile so I found Darker than Black, it was pretty dece.

One thing that bothers me in anime is when theres a big difference in style between important characters and "normal" people. I prefer my characters to sort of fit in and have believable struggles and moral quandaries, even if they have extraordinary abilities or some shit.

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
    edited January 2011
    Those animations are ffffffffffuuuucked. Wow.

And Japs make great games, this cannot be denied. To me it's when they start gearing things for western audiences that things go poorly.

Kaaaatamarii

Also I just rewatched Castle of Cagliostro, I forgot how entertaining Lupin is.

earthwormadam on
    edited January 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Saying "I really like your strange culture of automated panty dispensers" probably isn't the best way to make hot japanese girl like you.

I'm not really sure if I want to know if that is a thing.....but the curiosity is going to eat me up.

Mustang on
    edited January 2011
    He gave me a sandwich that was supposed to be peanut butter and jelly....but there was only peanut butter.

Wow. I didn't think you'd have a real grievance, but that is perfectly understandable.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited January 2011
    Gonna channel my inner highschool-self

The animation quality in American cartoons?

Worse than the top 20% of anime.

Boom.

Fugitive on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    And Japs make great games, this cannot be denied. To me it's when they start gearing things for western audiences that things go poorly.

Also I just rewatched Castle of Cagliostro, I forgot how entertaining Lupin is.

Pssht, speak for yourself- Capcom's Cowbow Burger America Quest 20XX (Trucks Edition) is a great game.

Also Castle of Cagliostro is fantastic, though I have to say after seeing some of the Lupin TV series, this probably has more to do with Miyazaki directing than the source material by itself.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Gonna channel my inner highschool-self

The animation quality in American cartoons?

Worse than the top 20% of anime.

Boom.

Well America has monster trucks. And Robocop.

NibCrom on
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    While we're on the topic of Japanese games and stuff, here is an interesting interview with the creator of Mega Man about his thoughts on whats wrong with the Jap game industry.

Also imo, it's not a problem that the Japanese developers are trying to appeal to Western audiences, it's that they haven't found a middle-ground between what's comfortable with them and their own distinct style, without being "stuck in the past" and trying to mimic western developers. They just need to find what works for them, a good way of merging western game styles and interests with their own flair and attention to detail.

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Giraffe tribute literally had me crying. I think it may be that I'm a little tired and ever so slightly buzz'd.

Prospicience on
    edited January 2011
    I lol'd too.

@bacon: agreed

I haven't seen enough of the show, but I remember it being okay way back when they showed it on TV. The movie is just a cut above I suppose.

@Seigfried: I really wanted to try Vanquish because that looked like a Japanese game that appealed to me. It looked like a cool shooter with less ducking behind cover and more super jet boots.

earthwormadam on
This discussion has been closed.