As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

midyear reports for college?

cooljammer00cooljammer00 HeySmall Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm doing the whole "applying for college thing" and I was wondering. How do I find out if a college requires a mid-year report? I'm not even 100% sure what a midyear report is.

Also, on the subject of filling out a FAFSA....Since tax forms arent due till later this year, what are my parents supposed to do to fill out the forms?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
cooljammer00 on

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If a college requires a mid-year report, they'll usually ask. IIRC it's a report they get from your high school during your senior year to make sure that you didn't get into a good college and then start blowing off classes.

Regarding the FAFSA, your parents need to do their taxes ASAP so that you can send it in and get started on your financial aid stuff. Obviously this can be a problem if your parents have not received all the paperwork that they need, but once they have it's their responsibility to get those numbers done.

supabeast on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    supabeast wrote:
    If a college requires a mid-year report, they'll usually ask. IIRC it's a report they get from your high school during your senior year to make sure that you didn't get into a good college and then start blowing off classes.

Regarding the FAFSA, your parents need to do their taxes ASAP so that you can send it in and get started on your financial aid stuff. Obviously this can be a problem if your parents have not received all the paperwork that they need, but once they have it's their responsibility to get those numbers done.

so is there a deadline for the FAFSA in the near future?

and I'm not so sure about colleges asking for shit. They all seem to be a "do it yourself, or fuck you" school, which is really pissing me off.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MunroMunro Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A mid-year report is something that's usually only filled out by students that apply early to school. It consists of the grades you got at the end of the first semester of your senior year. If you're applying after that point, don't sweat it, they already have that information from your transcript.

Now, the FAFSA, then, is due on March 1st as far as I know, but you should really jump on that and get it out of the way as soon as possible. It can be a hassle to try and do it at the last minute because you'll be sitting on your hands hoping that you get your PIN number in time, .etc, .etc... go talk to your counselor at your high school and she should be able to give you more info. I'd recommend maybe taking a short lunch tomorrow and seeing whether or not your school has a handout or anything on it.

Munro on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You should be able to fill your fafsa out now. W2 forms and college financial aid forms are all due in your mailbox by Jan 31. Considering that is tomorrow they've probably already got them and you're ready to fill it out.

Shogun on
  • Options
    littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shogun wrote:
    You should be able to fill your fafsa out now. W2 forms and college financial aid forms are all due in your mailbox by Jan 31. Considering that is tomorrow they've probably already got them and you're ready to fill it out.

The FAFSA is due in March. And you have to use your parents' 2006 tax forms (received in 2007). They don't have to be filed, they just have to be completed. Make sure you do this, and don't check "My parents plan to file", because that just slows down the whole process and makes them put your application on the bottom of the pile.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shogun wrote:

The FAFSA is due in March. And you have to use your parents' 2006 tax forms (received in 2007). They don't have to be filed, they just have to be completed. Make sure you do this, and don't check "My parents plan to file", because that just slows down the whole process and makes them put your application on the bottom of the pile.

For Federal Aid for the 2007-2008 school year it is due June 30, 2008, but for State Aid the due date is usually a lot earlier, for most states it's March, but it can be earlier or later (April 15 is the earliest, I believe). If you're worried about it, you need to contact your school's financial aid office. Though really it's best for you to get it sent in as early as possible.

Invisible on