As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disgaea is pretty rad.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    just fyi, magna carta and steambot both have nothing whatsoever to do with those other games, or our company itself.

steambot's pretty neat though. worth the $10 clearance price from TRU i got it for.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I <3 Houk.

PS: World of Disgaea has been on preorder since... forever. Via Amazon, of course.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Disgaea always got on my nerves because you had to use your healer types to kill things in order to get any EXP for them, and it just seemed...... Dumb as hell.

I never really gave it a chance because of that.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My mistake, I thought I was looking up games by Nippon Ichi when I was really looking up games connected to Atlus.

Jebrahl: It wasn't that hard to give your Healer attack spells. I had Laharl create the girl Healer (because the guys were useless) and then had the girl create each of the three basic Skull Mages. After I was able to create more advanced Skulls, I had her create them too and from then on she'd always have a complete set of attack magic at all times.

I actually really liked the magic system and the way spells you used more often would become more powerful just like the other skills and, in fact, cover more surface area as well.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Yeah, most people will go with the weapon proficiencies or just go with swords for everybody because swords end up getting the best skills.

The warrior I have does almost no damage with his sword. He also takes like three hits to die. :?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Jebral wrote:
    Disgaea always got on my nerves because you had to use your healer types to kill things in order to get any EXP for them, and it just seemed...... Dumb as hell.

I never really gave it a chance because of that.
    yeah that was a huge pain in the ass for me too. thankfully they fixed that in the sequel.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Yeah, most people will go with the weapon proficiencies or just go with swords for everybody because swords end up getting the best skills.

The warrior I have does almost no damage with his sword. He also takes like three hits to die. :?
    All your characters take like three hits to die in the beginning when you first create them, and Mages are always pretty frail.

That first fight with Midboss kicked my ass because I was expecting a cakewalk.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

All your characters take like three hits to die in the beginning when you first create them, and Mages are always pretty frail.

Yeah, but my warrior is around level 13.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Then he probably needs better armor?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Played around a bit, he's better.

Still does shit damage, though. Maybe I just don't have any good swords.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    This is a game where it doesn't pay to horde items, weapons, armor, and money. Sell anything you don't need so new items get released in the store.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Played around a bit, he's better.

Still does shit damage, though. Maybe I just don't have any good swords.

Try doing a few runs through the Item World, making sure to take out all the residents. After a few runs, just combine them together and move them to your armor/weapon of choice. It doesn't matter if you have shitty equipment to start with, they only provide the base stats.

Masonite on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    WHY wrote:
    Why did I feel the urge to complete the title with "Those monsters from Laharl are really bad".

Done and done. :P

Also this game is horrible to me because I have this compulsion to keep everyone at least somewhat leveled equally.

Why do you hurt me Disgaea? I just wanna play you. :cry:

[spoiler:d0c498e8d0]Also Enta and Flonne are Win.[/spoiler:d0c498e8d0]

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So how does Disgaea 2 rate compared to the first?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Better in almost every way.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mordrack wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Better in almost every way.
    The first one has a bit better story.

the second one has better game play tweaks, and i (personally) think it has better special attack animations

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Oh my gosh..

[spoiler:84fdd0bf9d]I just met the Prism Rangers.

They began the transformation sequence, and Etna just shot them.[/spoiler:84fdd0bf9d]
    This is the best game ever.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Disgaea 1 is definitely funnier, more interesting characters (and better music). But Disgaea 2 improves in every imaginable gameplay aspect, including the awesome hi-res sprites. And it's still pretty funny, if i do say so myself.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    tulkastulkas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Houk wrote:
    Disgaea 1 is definitely funnier, more interesting characters (and better music). But Disgaea 2 improves in every imaginable gameplay aspect, including the awesome hi-res sprites. And it's still pretty funny, if i do say so myself.
    Surprise surprise.

I agree with you entirely.

tulkas on
    tulkas
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you've played the first one, there's really no need to play the second one. The gameplay, despite being somewhat better in 2, is still obviously similar, and the basic story/humour is superior in 1.
    I'd look for something different, gameplay wise, if you still had an urge for that style of game. Not that 2 is bad, it's just not something you'll have missed out on if you never play it.

However, if you're into the whole 'grinding the same level until you reach level 6740' then 2 is what you'll want.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've actually owned two copies of this game. One I bought near release and only played an hour maybe. I lent that one to a friend who claimed to have given it back, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Then, a friend that owed me decided to give me a copy of this game as payment instead of what he owed me because he said it was his favorite game ever, and I should really play it. I pretty much ignored the thing until now.

I started this game up again because of this thread. I'm loving it so far. I keep feeling like I'm exploiting the system because I move my people out for a huge combo, attack with one, then cancel the rest and move them somewhere else. Once I figured that out, I started really loving the battle system. (I just finished episode 1)

When should I start jumping into the item world? I did after a few fights, but didn't get too far (I realized I couldn't just come out)

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The Tsunami Bomb song in Disgaea 1 was kind of random. Also, in my copy, it was pretty glitchy.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I keep feeling like I'm exploiting the system because I move my people out for a huge combo, attack with one, then cancel the rest and move them somewhere else.

I call it the "El Cheapo Team Attack". I think everyone figured that out and scratched their head a little.

After about 30 hours I felt a little lost, like I wasn't making any progress. I found myself having to grind a lot to keep my power level up for the main scenarios, but the rewards for that seemed to be diminishing. I thought back to my days playing D&D Miniatures, and how in DDM it's generally better to anchor your warband around one or two super-powerful pieces rather than spreading the power out. So I started doing some targeted grinding with the intention of building up my main warrior. He's getting stupid powerful. I don't know if this is really a good strategy in Disgaea, but it sure is fun completely owning the enemies with this one guy.

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Grislo wrote:
    If you've played the first one, there's really no need to play the second one.

Bullshit

It's worth it to play the second one just to hear the "Napoleon Bonerhard" line

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Since the story is only a fraction of the game, I think the best idea is to play Disgaea 1 for the story, then play Disgaea 2 for the story and postgame. Skip the Disgaea 1 postgame entirely. (not because it's bad, but because if you're a mortal human being with one lifetime to live you really only have time for one Disgaea postgame before you die.)
    I keep feeling like I'm exploiting the system because I move my people out for a huge combo, attack with one, then cancel the rest and move them somewhere else.

You're playing a bunch of demons. Exploiting the system is acceptable and often necessary.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So: I kinda hate anime but I like strategy RPGs. Between 1, 2 and La Pucelle, what should I pick up?

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    RedShell wrote:
    So: I kinda hate anime but I like strategy RPGs. Between 1, 2 and La Pucelle, what should I pick up?
    definitely not 2, as it has a number of anime-ish tropes that you probably wont like. the first one has anime-ish art, but the story and characters arent as bad in that respect.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    In Disgaea 1, how many non-generic characters can you control?

I think there are actually too many in Disgaea 2, at least for someone like me, since I hate ditching a main character. I didn't have much trouble getting myself to get rid of Hanako after I released she could pretty much only buff, but that still leaves only four slots for me to play with, two of which pretty much have to be a healer (I would assume that Flonne can serve as a healer in 1, which would free up a spot in that game) and mage, and the other two I've filled up with a meleer and a thief. Any suggestions on how to make myself give up another character so I can level up a monster or something, and which character would be best to drop?

jothki on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    jothki wrote:
    In Disgaea 1, how many non-generic characters can you control?

I think there are actually too many in Disgaea 2, at least for someone like me, since I hate ditching a main character. I didn't have much trouble getting myself to get rid of Hanako after I released she could pretty much only buff, but that still leaves only four slots for me to play with, two of which pretty much have to be a healer (I would assume that Flonne can serve as a healer in 1, which would free up a spot in that game) and mage, and the other two I've filled up with a meleer and a thief. Any suggestions on how to make myself give up another character so I can level up a monster or something, and which character would be best to drop?

There are 11 non-generic characters in Disgaea 1, counting Maderas and Hoggmeiser (who are basically stupid filler characters).

And you don't need to "drop" anybody. Just... don't use them. You can always come back to them later.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    tulkas wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    Surprise surprise.

I agree with you entirely.
    My own opinion.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    After about 30 hours I felt a little lost, like I wasn't making any progress. I found myself having to grind a lot to keep my power level up for the main scenarios, but the rewards for that seemed to be diminishing. I thought back to my days playing D&D Miniatures, and how in DDM it's generally better to anchor your warband around one or two super-powerful pieces rather than spreading the power out. So I started doing some targeted grinding with the intention of building up my main warrior. He's getting stupid powerful. I don't know if this is really a good strategy in Disgaea, but it sure is fun completely owning the enemies with this one guy.

I can never do this.

Ever.

Seeing all those people with such low levels drives me mad. Makes me level them up.

Luckily I discovered a prime, risk free leveling spot recently. :)

I'll dive time into the Item World for each characters weapon after this. <.<

Pata on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It's almost always more efficient to level your characters one at a time than try to level them all simultaneously.

Feral on

• Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've been playing this game like crazy for the last week or so after not having touched it for a couple of years. When I picked it back up I had just started my second cycle, topping out around level 80 without any items over level 20.

Now I've got lvl 500 divine majin (~1500 stored lvls) with ~200 sword mastery carrying a level 60 rare Cosmic Sword w/ 1900 Armsmaster and 300 Statistician. I also have a lvl 800 thief following him around stealing stuff. Right now they're about half-way done climbing through a legendary Cosmic Sword on their way to a Yoshitsuna.

All my other characters top out at lvl 150. o_O

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i put about 50 hours into disgaea 1 and then 100 hours into disgaea 2. i got to the point where the only stuff left was insane postgame shenanigans, and i didnt really feel like dumping another 200+ hours into the game power leveling dudes so i quit. totally awesome games though.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Ah_Pook wrote:
    i put about 50 hours into disgaea 1 and then 100 hours into disgaea 2. i got to the point where the only stuff left was insane postgame shenanigans, and i didnt really feel like dumping another 200+ hours into the game power leveling dudes so i quit. totally awesome games though.
    that's the major reason i love this series. if you want to put 40 hours in to get through the main story, unlock the standard units, see the meat of everything, you can, without missing much. If you want to put another 200 hours in to launch into the level stratosphere, unlocking all content, hitting level 9999, you can do that too, and have a pretty good reward for it. The game pretty much rewards all levels of achievement personalities, which i think is totally awesome.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I totally want to make a Thief that dosn't suck for anything but stealing.

Sadly, the only way I can think of this working is by stealing a lot of stats.

Pata on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh God everyone has Sheri's avatar know.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Oh God everyone has Sheri's avatar know.

Thats what I was thinking when I came in this thread. It scared me a bit.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I totally want to make a Thief that dosn't suck for anything but stealing.

Sadly, the only way I can think of this working is by stealing a lot of stats.
    A much faster way is to start with a class that can gain levels very fast (a majin is best for this) and just grind up a few hundred levels and transmigrate over and over again. Eventually you'll have enough stored levels to transmigrate a thief that can stand toe-to-toe with some pretty tough competition.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Can someone explain the stored levels thing?

is it a visable stat? Or is it some hidden bonus.

Pata on