As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] Pipe Cleaners, Reimagined

• kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That was a good game Kaorti, even if I did get my face stomped in. I handled the Legion fairly poorly, and you did get better rolls this game, but overall I think I prefer the Skorne to the Legion, they're tougher and they still hit hard, plus they look about as cool.

Now I just need to decide what Warlock I want to go for with Skorne. I'm favoring Dominar Rasheth, though I am considering Tyrant Xerxis.

Personally, I really like Rasheth. But looking at Battle College, Xerxis could get your damage output to ludicrous levels. Five dice with charging weapon masters on feat turn. I don't have his stats, but it looks like he might have a hard time getting his troops into melee, especially against if your opponent wants to stay at range.

kaorti on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, Rasheth has some nice abilities, and he fits my playstyle with casters better, since I'm not too keen on putting them in harms way, he has extra defense against ranged, and he can cast a spell that pushes damage done to himself onto an enemy if he hits them with it.

Here's a lore question, is Vinter dead in the current timeline? It says Epic Makeda usurped him in a bloody cue, so in the most current timeline is he dead/deposed?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nope, just runnin' around in the desert. The coup was bloody because he killed a bunch of motherfuckers and then just disappeared to do...something. Others can probably elaborate in more detail, my knowledge of hordes fluff is pretty shoddy.

jackisreal on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    jackisreal wrote: »
    Nope, just runnin' around in the desert. The coup was bloody because he killed a bunch of motherfuckers and then just disappeared to do...something. Others can probably elaborate in more detail, my knowledge of hordes fluff is pretty shoddy.

Haha, I was hoping he wasn't dead, that dude is seriously badass. Normally when you describe a bloody coup, it's bloody because of how you killed the guy and all of his loyal people, but with Vinter it's pretty much the other way around.

I'm hoping he comes back as a Warlock or something. Maybe leader of another faction :)

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    He has no magical talent, actually. He's just that bad ass.

SJ on
    edited December 2010
    SJ wrote: »
    He has no magical talent, actually. He's just that bad ass.

So badass that they aren't allowed to make a unit of him.

If they did it would just be unfair to anyone who had to fight him.

Maybe he'll become a warlock that isn't really a warlock, like he leads warbeasts into battle through sheer force of will, like a proper beastmaster, no magic involved. :P

Just DO WHAT I SAY! And all of his effects are just him rallying people with shows of how awesome he is, like flexing his muscles, or ripping people in half.

Edit: I know what he's going to do. He's going to go across the Western Ocean, conquer the Orgoth single handedly, and then lead them in an invasion to reconquer Immoren again.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Stats actually exist for Vinter, in No Quarter #7, and they're still up on the webpage. He's a scary, scary man; which I think I mentioned in the OP :P

Even though I'm a swan player, I can appreciate Vinter's badassitude.

Nechriah on
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If we don't find out who Vinter's bastard is in the next two Warmachine books, I am drafting everyone in this thread to kidnap Doug Seacat so help me Swan

jackisreal on
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    jackisreal wrote: »
    If we don't find out who Vinter's bastard is in the next two Warmachine books, I am drafting everyone in this thread to kidnap Doug Seacat so help me Swan

It's totally Stryker.

Carnarvon on
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Damn, that Thyra model is hot. No pun even intended. If her actual model looks anything like that, I'm totally getting it.

tzeentchling on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Vinter was why I went Skorne when I looked at Hordes stuff on release.

Vinter is the manliest motherfucker on Caen and if he's dead i'ma rage harshly. He can't be dead cause he'll live on through sheer spite, at least to get his vengeance on Magnus for ratting him out.

EDIT: Riding high on my victory tonight over the Butcher. I haven't beaten Khador in forever. I felt bad that I had to be adamant about some of the rules, but it was all good in the end.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The runes on her swords apparently read "Carnage."

General Nemo on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I bet that means she has Armor Piercing.

admanb on
    edited December 2010
    And it's not even a star action.

SJ on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If the flavor text says "pierces the thickest hide and armor" it'll be POW+STR 9

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited December 2010
    If the flavor text says "pierces the thickest hide and armor" it'll be POW+STR 9

I'd take 2x P+S 9 Armor Piercing hits, though as long we're speculating, maybe they'll be P+S 11 Decapitation weapons?

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited December 2010
    No, just POW+STR 9 with no special rules

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited December 2010
    As far as I'm concerned, all I want is "Elite Cadre [Daughters of the Flame] - Friendly Daughters of the Flame units gain Pathfinder."

Decapitation is a pretty neat ability, but I think it'd be rather hard to do it with those [relatively] dinky swords.

Carnarvon on
    edited December 2010
    I am very thankful that the Menoth players around here haven't figured out how awesome Daughters are

SJ on
    edited December 2010
    No, just POW+STR 9 with no special rules

Seriously, all of my hate.
    I am very thankful that the Menoth players around here haven't figured out how awesome Daughters are

Anatomical Precision for the awesome....^^

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My guess is a pair P+S 11 swords with Blessed.

General Nemo on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah but she'll have two of them so it'll be alright

SJ on
    edited December 2010
    It was a joke about the Wolves of Orboros flavor text

Actually, flavor text in general

Hell, people on the PP boards were assuming the Spriggan had a POW+STR 14 Armor Piercing lance based off what they were reading in the flavor text, if assuming those kind of stats doesn't scream DUMB AS ALL HELL to you I don't know what will

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Well the PP Board posters scream dumb as hell to me

SJ on
    edited December 2010
    Well the PP Board posters scream dumb as hell to me

General Nemo on
    edited December 2010
    It was a joke about the Wolves of Orboros flavor text

Actually, flavor text in general

Hell, people on the PP boards were assuming the Spriggan had a POW+STR 14 Armor Piercing lance based off what they were reading in the flavor text, if assuming those kind of stats doesn't scream DUMB AS ALL HELL to you I don't know what will

That was my entire joke.

admanb on
    edited December 2010
    Gators spoiler!

Fury 7
    Mat 5
    Rat 6
    Def 14
    Arm 16
    Magic gun, range 10, ROF 2?, pow 10 = makes a node out of destroyed model

Bite pow 11
    Staff pow 11 magic, reach, Life trader

Spells:
    Parasite
    Occulation
    Carinvore
    Hex Blast
    Signature Spell: range 8, cost 2, pow 12 - Boxed models are seduced (full advance and an attack).

Feat- If a friendly kills something Calaban gets a fury point(can go over max) and can cast a spell(paying cost) which he is allowed to boost.

Gnarly.

Carnarvon on
    edited December 2010
    vooooooodooooooo gatorman

SJ on
    edited December 2010
    Craaaaazy voodoo!

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited December 2010
    A Hordes spellslinger that... actually looks like he works? Woaaaaaaah.

admanb on
    edited December 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    A Hordes spellslinger that... actually looks like he works? Woaaaaaaah.

The node gun is pretty neat, but still requires you to be within 10 inches of something that could potentially kill you. That is, unless you can destroy your own models; but that seems like a bad deal when you're paying almost 2pts per model on your base infantry. RoF 2 is pretty nice, especially considering his meh RAT. His spell list and feat are pretty fucking amazing, though.

edit: I never understood how Carnivore works, does the model/unit affected heal 1d3 boxes, or does the caster?

Carnarvon on
    edited December 2010
    10" of the target isn't that bad, since you can still be upwards of 18" from what you actually want to target. It would be a lot better if gators had some cheap infantry, I agree.

Carnivore: "this model" is always the caster, even when it breaks the game. Such as pre-errata Explosivo.

admanb on
    edited December 2010
    That is a pretty funny threat range, though. Node Gun 10" away, arc his signature spell 8" from there, then walk him another 6" to smack something 24" away from Cally.

I'm now imagining myself getting my shit ruined by my own unit of KE.

Carnarvon on
    edited December 2010
    Just got out of a final, and I need to do somthing to dull the pain. I'm in the VASSAL lobby, send me a message there for a game.

Edit: Guys, I need to know if I am the jackass. I had a rules disagreement over VASSAL, and the other guy suddnly quit.

It revolved around LOS and measuring range. The way I've been playing it, the order goes like this:
    1) Determine if line of sight exists. If there is no line of sight, the attack is not legal, choose another target
    2) If line of sight exists, measure range from any point at the edge of a model's base to the target, regardless of intervening models.

The rules on prime pg. 56 seem to separate those two steps, so that you don't have to measure range along the same line that determined LOS

On the other hand, maybe he just didn't want to deal with a 4 focus Stormclad walking up next to an 8 health feora.

kaorti on
  • riven5riven5 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, I am really digging Minions so far. It's a shame the Farrow and Gators have such limited model selection with which to make lists, but that will be remedied in time. Seriously though, there are four warlocks so far and of the three that have been spoiled I freaking love em all. Same can be said for most of the beasts and units.

riven5 on
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kaorti wrote: »
    Just got out of a final, and I need to do somthing to dull the pain. I'm in the VASSAL lobby, send me a message there for a game.

Edit: Guys, I need to know if I am the jackass. I had a rules disagreement over VASSAL, and the other guy suddnly quit.

It revolved around LOS and measuring range. The way I've been playing it, the order goes like this:
    1) Determine if line of sight exists. If there is no line of sight, the attack is not legal, choose another target
    2) If line of sight exists, measure range from any point at the edge of a model's base to the target, regardless of intervening models.

The rules on prime pg. 56 seem to separate those two steps, so that you don't have to measure range along the same line that determined LOS

On the other hand, maybe he just didn't want to deal with a 4 focus Stormclad walking up next to an 8 health feora.

My interpretation was
    a) Declare attack. ie X is shooting at Y, A is charging B
    b) Determine if line of sight exists. If not, attack is wasted/model must run.
    c) Determine if range is appropriate. If not, attack is wasted/model must run.

I don't think you can say "I'm going to do this" and then if you find out they can't be seen you get to take it back. However, I do believe you can check LOS before declaring your attack, so if you do that first there shouldn't be an issue.

tzeentchling on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, the problem was that I had LOS, but that I needed to measure range through one of my units to actually get in range.

If you don't have LOS it is an illegal move to target the model, and you can't make a ranged attack without targeting the model. I guess the question is: if you are about to make an illegal move, can you stop and make a different one? Or does your activation just end?

Edit: so I guess the order should be

1) Determine LOS
    2) Declare attack
    3) Determine Range

Since you're not allowed to make the attack without establishing line of sight.

kaorti on
    edited December 2010
    You determine LOS after the declaration, and I'm pretty sure you can check LOS to anything whenever you feel like it so long as you don't measure anything.

General Nemo on
  • JonahtkeJonahtke Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Black Friday warstore army got here today. I have a rediculous amount of work ahead of me. I just thought my gun mage officer was "buckely" and now I have seen the black 13th. I have tried magnetizing one of the heavy jack kits and would like to note that I got the defender gun and its respective shoulder done. However doing the heads, fists, and cyclone guns is going to be beyond my limited skill with a dremel and even more limited patience. Go Go Super Glue!

Jonahtke on
    edited December 2010
    I never understood why people bother to magnetize the heads on the kits.

General Nemo on