As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] The Chataclysm Has Come

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    RabidNerd wrote: »
    815165 wrote: »
    I have a MMO itch and was maybe thinking about WOW. Is there really anything else to the game other than take a quest kill 10 rats and get reward? I know there are like raids and things but what about on the pvp side and do you get to do any of those things before getting to the max level?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I have played WoW a tiny bit when it was in EU beta...
    You can level up by fighting in battlegrounds (pitched PVP battles).

What makes WoW so popular compared to all other games? I have played SWG, LOTRO, EVE and many others and they all turn in to a big monotone grind in some way which makes me quit.

It's a better, more polished, more fun product in pretty much every area worthy of measure. Also, it helps that it runs on a lot of older PCs.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    These are the moments, when you wish you could AOE your own faction ...

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Someone on Coilfang already has realm first 525 herbalism.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Female Worgen named Gnawty. I chuckled.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Inside 20 minutes someone on Forstmourne had 525 Cooking, inside an hour realm first mining and herbing were dinged.

Arrath on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is anyone else having huge lag issues? And is there anything to be done about it?

Rend on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arrath wrote: »
    Inside 20 minutes someone on Forstmourne had 525 Cooking, inside an hour realm first mining and herbing were dinged.

All the gathering ones are done but I feel blizzard was very stupid for leaving the realm first crap in

Brainleech on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have a MMO itch and was maybe thinking about WOW. Is there really anything else to the game other than take a quest kill 10 rats and get reward? I know there are like raids and things but what about on the pvp side and do you get to do any of those things before getting to the max level?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I have played WoW a tiny bit when it was in EU beta...
    You can level up by fighting in battlegrounds (pitched PVP battles).

What makes WoW so popular compared to all other games? I have played SWG, LOTRO, EVE and many others and they all turn in to a big monotone grind in some way which makes me quit.

The general polish on everything. Seriously. A lot of MMO's get away with a lot of crap because theyre MMO's. WoW at least pretends its a complete game, and there arent times where youre "too high level" to do anything (because the developers havent bothered to make content for you), and theres so much content you can run 2 completely different characters in one faction to max level and still not actually see everything there is to see.

There are a lot of "kill 5 of these guys then come back" quests, but these days its pretty rare to end up at a point where youre killing the "same" monsters in a really similar zone over and over. I mean, if you think about it, yeah, the 5 monsters youre killing in Zone X are pretty similar to the 5 monsters you just killed in Zone Y, but different models and skins actually do a fairly good job of hiding it.

Plus now there are a ton of instances (dungeons) to run, and the leveling has been "streamlined" so its really a lot less grindy than it used to be. Theyve done a good job if making sure you have stuff to be doing at all times so you dont end up standing in the same spot waiting for monsters to spawn and endlessly killing them for a couple hours just to level up.

All of the above, plus the ridiculous customisability of the interface really makes it a AAA game. It really is a best in class game at this point. When i quit last, back in 2006, theres no way i would have said that, and to be honest, with the subscriber levels and fanbase, blizzard probably could have sat back and really done nothing for the past 4 years. But i came back a month ago and im literally amazed at how much work theyve done in the intervening years.

The only thing i think sucks at this point is the fact that they never put anything like the Dishonor system into the game. Dishonor was supposed to be disincentive to being max level and camping new players or low level characters in the early "contested" (open PvP) zones. After getting corpse camped for 45 minutes last night in one of the recently revamped zones (1000 Needles) i was really wishing that theyd sorted that out while i was gone...

Theres a free 10 day trial so i mean, if you hate it, youre not out anything. Unfortunately, you missed the sale 2 weeks ago where you can get everything up to the most recent expansion for 20 bucks (save around 60 dollars). Thats the downside to WoW being so popular, the software itself its still actually really expensive, compared to other MMO's, and it rarely goes on sale.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »

All the gathering ones are done but I feel blizzard was very stupid for leaving the realm first crap in
    Why? It's something for some people to try to achieve in the game and it doesn't really affect anyone else.

815165 on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Why? Honestly, no ones going to quit over not getting it, and it makes the 500 or so people who do get them really happy. Plus its a fun challenge for everyone that was shooting for it.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Why? It's something for some people to try to achieve in the game and it doesn't really affect anyone else.

I really don't want it get into why i feel the way I feel about it If you want a achievement why not do some of the other ones the realm first titles and such in Wrath were pretty much a reward for a certain guild on Windrunner

Brainleech on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    they're feats of strength that mean nothing.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Angry wrote: »
    they're feats of strength that mean nothing.

They are still dumb

Brainleech on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Someone had cooking in 12 minutes on the realm I was playing on. Mining after about an hour.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    "Gentlemen.. we are dealing with someone here.. who has absolutely no life."
    ".. How do you kill that which has no life?"

I was too tired to wait till midnight. Now I'm up at 2am PST. I want a hard copy so that I can reinstall without a huge freakin download. Walmart?

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    "Gentlemen.. we are dealing with someone here.. who has absolutely no life."
    ".. How do you kill that which has no life?"

I was too tired to wait till midnight. Now I'm up at 2am PST. I want a hard copy so that I can reinstall without a huge freakin download. Walmart?

Well you can also get tips on how to steal a car while you are there just in case you need that skill

Brainleech on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SO I just seen the Whaleshark finally..Wow simply massive

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    XynnXynn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I had prepped for cooking, but it took me 12 minutes to log in and it had been finished by the time I did it. A guildmate of mine was at 524 herbalism when an alliance guy beat him to an herb. The alliance guy ended up being the one to get the Realm First. I feel really bad for my guildmate.

Xynn on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does anyone know what dictates a rare archaeology find? Is it on the actual act of digging or what?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Does anyone know what dictates a rare archaeology find? Is it on the actual act of digging or what?

I was told I had to dig the item up for it to count

Brainleech on
  • Options
    ChronocideChronocide Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I just started a Gobbo named Grobbo. Kedan was pretty cool, nice and quick and full of character. Def one of the best starting areas I've played.

Chronocide on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    oh god it's 2:40am and I've been playing since 12:30 or so. Made a Goblin Hunter, up to level 8 so far. The Goblin starting areas are absolutely ridiculous and a blast so play so far. So very very different than when I tried to start out WoW with a Ork when the game launched. It's actually fun so far which is a refreshing change of pace.

time for bed

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Giant Conch.

What horrible game design.

noobert on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

It was within about the same on my server. It was while I was still in org so I would actually say within 10 minutes. Then went skinning, fishing, herbing in that order. I got two blue hides and a 294 BOE blue gun on my travels tonite.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    noobert wrote: »
    Giant Conch.

What horrible game design.

The next quest is worse by far... the zone on the whole has annoyed me whenever I have to pick up an item on the ground. I had to take a break and take my other 80 to hyjal

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So the Cata install disc only had version 4.0.0.etc on it.

Gonna break my monthly bandwidth cap getting the rest of the GB of this.

Henroid on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Someone on Coilfang already has realm first 525 herbalism.

Doomhammers seen Mining, Fishing, Herbing, and Skinning as far as I saw.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    AgapiosAgapios Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    First ten minutes on Stonemaul and a dude dings up 525 cooking.

Agapios on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well ... that was sorta expected. I hear from German servers that there are some 85's running around ... now that is kinda sick, even if we already are over 13 hours in ...

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Levellers gonna level.

I hope my copy actually gets here today. C'mon, Parcelforce.

815165 on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Holy Crap, I refresh and we've gotten 5 pages.... yikes.

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Levellers gonna level.

I hope my copy actually gets here today. C'mon, Parcelforce.

I just don't understand why the rush ...

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My WalMart is dumb. It looks like they bought a case or something, and sold it in 5 minutes. They may have had more that they hadn't put out, but try finding a helpful WalMart employee at 6 in the morning. So I went home, and bought a digital copy, which is probably what I should have done in the first place.

Then, yikes! crowds! I flew about Hyjal for a few minutes, found six pieces of obsidium ore, put it on the AH for 50G per piece and called it a day.

jackal on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wow. So I log in this morning and check hyjal and vashj'ir with a /who.

Hyjal? 49+people bunch of 81s etc.

Vashj'ir? 1 Person.

Guess who's going to start questing in vashj'ir tonight?

Oghulk on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Well ... that was sorta expected. I hear from German servers that there are some 85's running around ... now that is kinda sick, even if we already are over 13 hours in ...

Yes, my server has several 85s already. The rest of the realm firsts will probably fall wll within 24h from launch.

Grobian on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Grobian wrote: »
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Yes, my server has several 85s already. The rest of the realm firsts will probably fall wll within 24h from launch.

And I guess these 85s will be the first to complain about not enough content or something like that ...

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, you have 85s already? Our GL is currently in the lead (on alliance, at least), and he's nearly 83.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's Europe, so like TheBigEasy said, they have had over 13 hours now.

Grobian on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Guess who's going to start questing in vashj'ir tonight?

Word of warning, a bunch of people trying to get to Vashj'ir on my server ended up underwater and stunned in ferelas, drowning.

So, yeah.

Arrath on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Derp, actually realized it was just a zone thing and that there are a ton of people out there. Just in like Kelp'thar Forest or somethin.

Oghulk on
This discussion has been closed.