Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[WoW] The Chataclysm Has Come

16162636466

Posts

  • Work SafeWork Safe Registered User
    edited December 2010
    Do you pay sales tax when you buy the digital version of WoW Cata?

    Work Safe on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The heroics are definitely hard but saying 2 mistakes leads to a wipe is a little strong. I've definitely dropped the ball a couple times in a fight and still won. Heck, some of the heroic bosses are plain easy (2nd and last boss of blackrock caverns for example), some are pretty dang tough though (beauty of the same instance). The difficulty seems really inconsistent, actually, now that I think about it.

    I definitely messed up a couple times in the beauty fight (let my CC drop) but we still won, admittedly with the tank dead.

    I disagree, I'd even be willing to say 1 mistake will wipe you a lot of the times.

    The 2nd boss in BRC pretty much is a luck based encounter and hoping your 4th and 5th person can manage to get into the beam fast enough.

    We'll have to agree to disagree because I don't think we've had a fight where we haven't made a couple of mistakes yet and still won. I mean, we accidentally let Steelbender hit 15 stacks in a pretty big mistake and still won (woo achievement though!).

    I don't see what a 4th or 5th person has to do with the 2nd boss of BRC though. You just have your three guys step out of the beam, wait for the debuff to fall off, and then step back into the beam. Easy-peasy.

    Assuming they don't get feared.

    bowen on
    Ladies.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It depends on the fight. Lots of heroic bosses have room for error, but there's some that don't. Somebody doesn't handle their add on the last boss of grim batol, or doesn't handle vapors well on ripsnarl are the two that I've run recently that come to mind.

    I think the difficulty is maybe a little too much in a couple specific situations, but in large part it'll smooth out as people get gear and are able to bruteforce fights to a greater extent.

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    do you lack faith, brother?
    or do you believe?
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The heroics are definitely hard but saying 2 mistakes leads to a wipe is a little strong. I've definitely dropped the ball a couple times in a fight and still won. Heck, some of the heroic bosses are plain easy (2nd and last boss of blackrock caverns for example), some are pretty dang tough though (beauty of the same instance). The difficulty seems really inconsistent, actually, now that I think about it.

    I definitely messed up a couple times in the beauty fight (let my CC drop) but we still won, admittedly with the tank dead.

    I disagree, I'd even be willing to say 1 mistake will wipe you a lot of the times.

    The 2nd boss in BRC pretty much is a luck based encounter and hoping your 4th and 5th person can manage to get into the beam fast enough.

    We'll have to agree to disagree because I don't think we've had a fight where we haven't made a couple of mistakes yet and still won. I mean, we accidentally let Steelbender hit 15 stacks in a pretty big mistake and still won (woo achievement though!).

    I don't see what a 4th or 5th person has to do with the 2nd boss of BRC though. You just have your three guys step out of the beam, wait for the debuff to fall off, and then step back into the beam. Easy-peasy.

    Assuming they don't get feared.

    There's no assuming, you kick the fear.

    Inquisitor on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Work Safe wrote: »
    Do you pay sales tax when you buy the digital version of WoW Cata?

    Probably not, as long as Blizzard doesn't have a physical presence(what qualifies, I'm not sure) in your state.

    Surprisingly, there is some sort of Blizzard office in Austin. I guess it's tech support or servers?

    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nissl wrote: »
    I'll be interested to see whether Blizzard decides to stick to their guns on heroic difficulty. D&R (yeah I know) has never ever been wall to wall with nerf requests like it is currently.

    To be honest I am kind of surprised at the tuning of both heroics and normal raids given how much blizzard capitulated on difficulty around the time of Ulduar. I though the permanent design for customer retention was that PUGs should be able to roll heroic modes for easy daily advancement in 15-30 minutes and get ~1/3 of normal mode raid bosses, with guilding encouraged for those who wanted to PVP competitively or get down end bosses.

    Here's what they will do, I almost guarentee it. They won't do shit at first, with the exception of a few special cases here and there. They'll probably give it at least a good month or two, and then start adjusting en-mass. I don't think they will outright nerf heroics, but they will probably adjust specific encounters based on whatever they are seeing (i.e. 75% of groups always wipe on fight X, to spell Y, maybe spell Y is too strong).

    They almost assuredly won't "back down" and just start nerfing heroics willy-nilly, though I suspect any actual nerfs will be seen as such. But in general, I suspect 90% of the whining right now is based on the fact that A) PUGs suck ass, always, B) Gear sucks right now, and C) No one really knows the fights, it has only been about a week and a half. Possibly also D) people are still being Wrath-style morons, though that feeds into A) a lot ;)

    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • NisslNissl Registered User
    edited December 2010
    I think the difficulty is maybe a little too much in a couple specific situations, but in large part it'll smooth out as people get gear and are able to bruteforce fights to a greater extent.

    This is probably true, but for the next couple of weeks the gear level will stay constant and the average skill level will go down as less intense people hit 85. I'm not too upset I decided to reroll.
    Septus wrote:
    Surprisingly, there is some sort of Blizzard office in Austin. I guess it's tech support or servers?

    I know they used to have a GM pool there.

    Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Work SafeWork Safe Registered User
    edited December 2010
    Looked it up and I think they do charge tax in NY, where I live.

    Work Safe on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I had this awesome experience in normal throne of the tides earlier on my shaman. For some reason after we killed the second boss, I brain farted and ran to the elevator rather than taking the teleporter. As I'm waiting for the elevator, I see that the tank has pulled and subsequently died. Which I feel a little badly about but not too badly because, how hard is it to make sure the healer (me) is there, right?

    As I'm riding down the elevator, he runs in, pulls, and dies again because I'm not there.

    it was pretty funny

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    do you lack faith, brother?
    or do you believe?
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Septus wrote: »
    Work Safe wrote: »
    Do you pay sales tax when you buy the digital version of WoW Cata?

    Probably not, as long as Blizzard doesn't have a physical presence(what qualifies, I'm not sure) in your state.

    Surprisingly, there is some sort of Blizzard office in Austin. I guess it's tech support or servers?

    I think they have regional customer / tech support offices around the country to take calls, yeah.

    Henroid on
    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, Lord Walden is a much more fun fight when it's just one dps and the tank

    Javen on
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Haven't played WoW since February of 2009, and then only for a 10 day trial. Before that, hadn't played in another year and a half or so.

    My buddy texts me three hours ago and asks me what's up in WoW; I say "I have no idea." He tells me Rius is running around on Sargeras and maybe I should look into that? D:

    That was a fun chat with Blizzard, lol. Some Chinese fellow got access to my account and was running around for six hours. I feel violated!

    How would someone have gotten access to my account? My old WoW account wasn't linked to my current Battle.Net account and I can't even begin to remember what my password was back in 02/09. It wasn't very complicated, I can say that much; could they have brute forced it? My buddy mentioned the Gawker fiasco and while I did have a Gawker account the password I had on there could not possibly have matched my super old WoW password.

    Rius on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Austin is also one of Blizzard's data centers. It's in the same data center warehouse as Dell's, I've been in there a couple of times. I don't know that there are any game servers there, but they definitely have server presence there.

    The bad thing is that I get to pay sales tax on my sub because of it. Thanks Blizzard!

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You guys, I just found the dumbest quest in all of WoW's history. It's in Hinterlands, Alliance-side. At the elf lodge a wildhammer dwarf tells you about some spiders who have captured dwarves alive and keep them in cocoons for later eating. So she embarks you on a quest... to kill the people in the cocoons, who are still alive and struggling. And why?

    So that the spiders will starve.

    Henroid on
    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Every time I log into my Druid I am immediately disconnected from the server, anyone heard of this shit happening before?

    At any rate, decided to make a DK to grind leather for him. I forgot how terrible the writing at the end of their starting zone is.

    "APOCALYPSE!" Come on now Arthas, you're not a DBZ character.

    E: Checked and it seems to be a relatively common problem with the Howling Fjord waterfall. That's what I get for trying to explore that shitty zone I guess.

    Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • jackaljackal Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    You guys, I just found the dumbest quest in all of WoW's history. It's in Hinterlands, Alliance-side. At the elf lodge a wildhammer dwarf tells you about some spiders who have captured dwarves alive and keep them in cocoons for later eating. So she embarks you on a quest... to kill the people in the cocoons, who are still alive and struggling. And why?

    So that the spiders will starve.

    If it was a goblin instead of a dwarf that would be a great quest.

    jackal on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ok - moved the Heroic Dungeon Cheat Sheet over to my guild site (lets me keep track of how many folks download it more easily) ...

    http://www.relicsofcorbantis.com

    no need to register or anything - just click the link and it'll bring you to the PDF. Any comments or thoughts are appreciated.

    OK apparently I had a brainfart and forgot to include Blackrock Caverns. A new version is now available that includes BRC Heroic. Sorry for any confusion.

    On Beauty: you can (and should) CC as many of the dogs as you can. They're beasts, so lots of CC works.

    captaink on
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Shen wrote: »
    Every time I log into my Druid I am immediately disconnected from the server, anyone heard of this shit happening before?

    E: Checked and it seems to be a relatively common problem with the Howling Fjord waterfall. That's what I get for trying to explore that shitty zone I guess.

    Yes. If I recall clearing out my cache/WTF folder helped sometimes but it wasn't a reliable solution. Most times I had to get a GM to move the character. Storm Peaks was a death trap for me because of that. If I lost connection in that zone for any reason I wasn't playing that character again for the evening.

    Turned out the problem was with my onboard video. It couldn't handle some of the graphic settings(bloom + other stuff that no longer has an option for manually turning it off). I had to manually edit my config.wtf file to turn that stuff off for awhile. Turned that crap off....problem solved.

    Poketpixie on
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hate: Guild rep cap is stuck on my main. Got the we'll look into it line as a reply with the GM completely ignoring my other question relating to frozen guild xp cap on Tuesday.

    Happy: Healing is fun again. It's taking a while to get used to it but getting there.

    Not so happy: Heroic ToT Giblin packs. Need to work on a reliable strat for those. They are the only trash so far that will kill a tank inside 3 seconds and there are so bloody many of them.

    danx on
  • CuntyCunty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I always used auctioneer in 3.x, how does auctionator compare?

    Cunty on
    gameintownk.png
  • NisslNissl Registered User
    edited December 2010
    Cunty wrote:
    I always used auctioneer in 3.x, how does auctionator compare?

    I haven't gotten deeply into the features, so maybe there is more overlap than I appreciate, but they struck me as both achieving completely different goals very well.

    If you're going to play the auction house for profit regularly, you want to get auctioneer, which will scan and flag things selling below normal market price. There are a million bells and whistles regarding different searches for oddly priced items, different level items, different mat categories, etc. You may want to add something like marketwatch as well, or crafting addons (lil sparky's, enchantrix, etc.) that identify transmutes you can do for profit.

    If you just want to buy and sell stuff at a reasonable price really really quickly without having to search every item or scroll through lists like in the default UI, or wait for a scan like auctioneer, use auctionator. It does a quick search for any item you post, auto-discounts it according to your settings, autosets bid prices based on your buyout, sorts everything by price per item regardless of stack size so you can compare, and autoposts piles of singles easily. Godsend compared to the default UI, with that and Postal I do my AHing in maybe 1/4 of the time before I reinstalled the mods. I would have gone insane playing the glyph undercut game without it.

    Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Jesus jumped-up Christ, Art of War is goddamn bananas.

    It gets just fucking silly in Northrend. Double damage, and ensured crit against undead? Yes please.

    Fakeedit: Against demons in BC, too.

    Arrath on
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Making for Oregon is suicide, as DOS games have shown.
  • CuntyCunty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I appreciate the feedback. So in a nutshell seems that auctioneer is (mostly) good for buying, and auctionator is (mostly) good for selling, is there any easy way to use them side by side? Do they conflict?

    Cunty on
    gameintownk.png
  • Fig-DFig-D Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    danx wrote: »
    Hate: Guild rep cap is stuck on my main. Got the we'll look into it line as a reply with the GM completely ignoring my other question relating to frozen guild xp cap on Tuesday.

    Happy: Healing is fun again. It's taking a while to get used to it but getting there.

    Not so happy: Heroic ToT Giblin packs. Need to work on a reliable strat for those. They are the only trash so far that will kill a tank inside 3 seconds and there are so bloody many of them.

    Have a priest MC one, the others will insta kill it, CC and MC another. They have a nasty front firing AoE that you can turn back on them. You lose rep if the MC target is killed by other mobs but do you really care? I don't.

    Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Decomposey wrote: »
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    You can do her again, but you don't get the nightmare event again.

    I didn't realise that you didn't get valour points for her if you failed the nightmare, but as has been mentioned previously on this board, Chaos Orbs are only about an 85% drop rate. You just happened to meet a coincidence in failing the nightmare didnt get one to drop.

    Oh, shit - we were under the impression that if you failed the nightmare, the encounter was just done. We went back to the boat and didn't see her. Bugged, maybe?

    Wait, really? No. My first run we died to fire walls on the Ogres nightmare, except the mage who manages to blow him up, which started the Goblins nightmare, which kills the mage. When we port back to the forge after the corpse run, it's clear for a moment then OH GOD SPIDERS! From there the nightmares continued as normal. Even dead we never lost the nightmare buff.

    I think your problem was you ran to the boat, not the forge.

    Ported, even.

    Did it again today and almost got through it - ran out of time while killing the wolves on the docks.

    Salvation122 on
    sig.png
  • NisslNissl Registered User
    edited December 2010
    Cunty wrote:
    So in a nutshell seems that auctioneer is (mostly) good for buying, and auctionator is (mostly) good for selling, is there any easy way to use them side by side? Do they conflict?

    I didn't want to try and see if they conflict, I used one or the other at different points in 3.0. I see some posts out there from people using both.

    While it's true that auctionator adds more to the selling side than the buying side, I really want to emphasize that it comes down to the point that if the player economy is a major thing you enjoy in the game, if you spend an hour every night in the AH trying to make money, you must use auctioneer. If the AH is an obstacle you want to navigate as fast as possible at the end of the night without losing $$, or you're making your money in a crafting profession prone to undercutting wars... use auctionator.

    I got bored of the AH game, and money grows on trees if you have a gathering profession these days, so I'm using auctionator at the moment.

    Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So uh, is there an easy way to get your ghost up to Nefarian's Throne Room at the top of blackrock mountain? Outside of the new instance?

    I died up there. Am I screwed?

    Corp.Shephard on
  • Fig-DFig-D Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yep.

    Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    danx wrote: »
    Hate: Guild rep cap is stuck on my main. Got the we'll look into it line as a reply with the GM completely ignoring my other question relating to frozen guild xp cap on Tuesday.

    Happy: Healing is fun again. It's taking a while to get used to it but getting there.

    Not so happy: Heroic ToT Giblin packs. Need to work on a reliable strat for those. They are the only trash so far that will kill a tank inside 3 seconds and there are so bloody many of them.

    Have a priest MC one, the others will insta kill it, CC and MC another. They have a nasty front firing AoE that you can turn back on them. You lose rep if the MC target is killed by other mobs but do you really care? I don't.

    The really brutal part about these is that on the pull, they all throw their stupid poison spear things at the same time.

    Our solution was to offer a pet up as a sacrifice, then pile on stuns/cc/etc. They go down quickly and the damage doesn't seem that tough to heal through as long as all 6-7 aren't hitting the same target at the same time.

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    do you lack faith, brother?
    or do you believe?
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    You guys, I just found the dumbest quest in all of WoW's history. It's in Hinterlands, Alliance-side. At the elf lodge a wildhammer dwarf tells you about some spiders who have captured dwarves alive and keep them in cocoons for later eating. So she embarks you on a quest... to kill the people in the cocoons, who are still alive and struggling. And why?

    So that the spiders will starve.

    If it was a goblin instead of a dwarf that would be a great quest.

    Maybe that's what it was written for and they used it elsewhere on accident.

    Henroid on
    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Nurse, Veteran, Army Mom, Ficus, Space Dad, Survivor Contestant God Bless This Mess Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    what servers do penny arcadians typically play on?

    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • XehalusXehalus lofi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think a portion of them play Horde on Ravenholdt. (RP-PvP)

    FOR THE ALLIANCE!!!

    Till I get bored and switch from Human to Undead because it makes more sense when you're a Shadow Priest.

    Xehalus on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So you know that supposedly leaked document that said Blizzard's next MMO is called "Titan."

    Looks like it was true: A head blizzard guy said that it is indeed the working name of their next MMO.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jos4UWnDM88

    Undead Scottsman on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    what servers do penny arcadians typically play on?

    Well <Beasts of Unusual Size> is horde on Ravenholdt (RP/PVP), and we have a guild thread here, just look for it it's usually on page 1 or 2 of this forum. And I believe SE++ still has guild, though I have no idea what it is or what server its on.

    EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • XehalusXehalus lofi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was expecting WoW: Path of the Titans as an expansion, where they decided to save the Path of the Titans feature they removed from Cataclysm and make it a complete expansion with raids attached to the system.

    Xehalus on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    <Shambler's Milk> on Cho'Gall and I believe there's also <Clawshrimp and Co> but I'm not sure where they play. EU side we've got <Obsidian Spur> on Saurfang I believe?

    Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • NisslNissl Registered User
    edited December 2010
    US Horde Beasts of Unusual Size - Ravenholdt (RP-PVP)
    US Horde Obsidian Spur - Sargeras (PVP)
    US Horde Shambler's Milk - Cho'gall (PVP) - SE ++ guild

    US Alliance Clawshrimp and Co - Draenor (PVE)
    US Alliance (remnants of PAA) - Dark Iron (PVP)

    EU: Obsidian Spur, Saurfang

    All guilds have posts somewhere in the first 2 pages of the forum you can check out.

    maybe this can go in the OP of the next thread?

    Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, following the leveling route, I went to Thousand Needles via Mudsprocket quest-flight-path (which takes you to New Thelsamar), and that was quite a goddamn surprise to land into.

    Henroid on
    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I know this may sound silly, but if I don't get the expansion until next year I can still play the revamped zones now, right? I just can't play as a goblin or worgen and I can't go to the 80-85 zones?

    Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Exactly, no Archaeology either.

    Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: ArthilCwcuLUM.jpg
This discussion has been closed.