As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Les [Chat]s des Maldoror

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    All I can think of is Herschel.

LaOs on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    ooh maybe Hiram

will does like to offer people cocktails

Nerdgasmic on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Well lets see. Dwarves in WoW don't really have an inferiority complex. They're too busy trying to discover their origins, re-unite with their dark iron brethern whilst constantly being thwarted by the horde, twilight sects of dark iron, and having to help the Gnomes, you know, get over losing their entire fucking home.

The Elves in WoW aren't really froo froo flitty flighty.

Dwarf lore in WoW is surprisingly good

Don't forget that they have finally also rejoined formally with the Wildhammers!

Arch on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    Oh look, a human.

Yeah humans tend to be hit or miss, but at least they've got a chance of being interested. Non-humans are automatically put in the box people think they belong in whether that makes for a good character or not.

Daxon on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    oh shit i should reserve a cool name for my goblin rogue even though i wont get cata for a while

hmmmmm

Bonapart

hmmmmmM!

Or like I said Gizmo. Though the wow player base would probably think thats more about masturbation.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The one dimensionality of fantasy races is a completely valid objection, daxon

nevertheless the phrase "I don't like them because they're not human" rubs me the wrong way

I picture you at the head of a council that declares war on aliens or enslaves sentient robots

Evil Multifarious on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not sure I get the Obama hate. I get the Obama frustration, but not the hate.

From where I see it, the current gist is that this is a terrible deal, which I would agree with, and the instinct is to say he should have pushed for more. Perhaps, but I have to wonder: How much more could he have gotten? My observation of the Republican party has been a party that has followed obstructionism so devotely they'd only vote for a blue policy if it was part of a veeeeeeeeeery slightly purplish-red package, which I think this bill is equivalent to.

So I ask from a position of ignorance: What else could he do?

Nothing really, hell republicans are talking about stalling this compromise because hes the devil to their base and anything he passes is bad for them.

Case in point. It's like they can't even stomach a Blue value of 10 to their Red of 255.

My omission of Green is a metaphor.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited December 2010
    Daxon i think you missed the joke

Arch on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I totally understand the left being furious with Obama. I'm pretty furious with Obama. But what can I do? Not vote and let someone even worse get in? Sometimes I feel like I should just leave this shit-ass country and call it a day. I don't like what hating this many people does to me.

Do you live in a swing district or close enough to a swing district that you can volunteer for a Democratic congressperson's campaign?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited December 2010
    preacher, napoleon wasn't actually all that short 8-)

Nerdgasmic on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    alright

time to hit up the gym, and then buckle down and mix my track

wish me luck errybody

MikeMan on
    edited December 2010
    I do like how one of the Goblin jokes is an its a wonderful life quote which most of their player base would never get.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Preach they are screwed if it goes through. The cost of this tax break could of payed for national healthcare for 10 years. Which would of done better.

Also Obama never had 60 votes in the Senate. Never. He had 59 at most and Liberman when he bowed down to him. Throw in the 6 months with Franken to get in. Then the loss of Ted Kennedy which lead to 58 votes. Seriously someone in the strategy session miscalculated or he really didn't care and passed stuff he wanted and was actually just double speaking to us on the campaign.

If you look at it between the Senate and him basically giving the Republicans his ball so they could just go home and not let anything happen is what the last two years have been. He has called for bipartisanship which doesn't work when the other sides to destroy you and salt the Earth. If he fought tooth and nail. Showed those who blocked stuff as being wrong for the country or at least attacked them you would probably have seen a better mid-term for him. Better poll numbers and he would still have the support of his base.

The guy basically has lost me. He isn't worth my air to scream about at this point. Either he is the worst negotiator ever or he just doesn't want to negotiate. He held the keys and the power and hell the public backing. He just seems to act like he had none of these.

i don't believe this. it was in the political interests of the republicans to block everything they could, but it was not clear from the beginning that this was the case, nor that they would have the party discipline to carry through with it. it turned out they did.

so then the question was whether obama would insist on pushing genuinely progressive legislation that would NOT pass the senate, or push compromise legislation that would. he went with the latter and i laud him for it.

because as much as compromise offends the liberal sensibilities of some on the left, executive inaction is bad for the party and bad for the nation. "We didn't do anything with our control of congress and the presidency with 60/59/58 seat majority because they blocked us" is not a winning argument.

liberals who can't suck it up and deal with reality - or somehow assume that their ideology is really popular in extremes and just somehow not actually reflected in elections and just needs to be doubled down on - are fundamentally why the democratic party is fucking useless. as horrible and hateful and crazy as the republicans are, you don't get substantial numbers of them bolting over even very fundamental disagreements. but ask a fucking liberal to compromise and it's choruses of fuck this country and fuck the president and imma vote green or move to france.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited December 2010
    i am going to be so original on my goblin rogue

surely no one else is making one and they will be the least populated goblin class

DOT DOT DOT

Arch on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Need a good name for a goblin warlock

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited December 2010
    and surely no one would be an engineer on their goblin rogue

surely not

i will be a unique snowflake

Arch on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Daxon's pro human racism is genuinely somewhat disturbing to me

That is.. that is special.

Racism against non-existent, non-human races is disturbing to you.

Y'know, mostly my hatred of all non-human races in fantasy games/novels/whatnot is that they tend to always been just one feature of humanity magnified by a billion.

This makes for incredibly shit and uninteresting characters.

Oh look, it's a dwarf with an inferiority complex. Guess what? He grew up in a mine and loves rocks. Yay. You are fucking original.

Oh look, it's an elf. He likes to prance about and generally be a completely one dimensional fairy. Yay.

Oh look, it's a werewolf. He struggles against his base and animalistic nature on a daily basis, while trying to fit in to normal human society.

one of these is not like the others

yeah, werewolves are nonfictional

Organichu on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    ooh maybe Hiram

ding ding

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited December 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Preach they are screwed if it goes through. The cost of this tax break could of payed for national healthcare for 10 years. Which would of done better.

Also Obama never had 60 votes in the Senate. Never. He had 59 at most and Liberman when he bowed down to him. Throw in the 6 months with Franken to get in. Then the loss of Ted Kennedy which lead to 58 votes. Seriously someone in the strategy session miscalculated or he really didn't care and passed stuff he wanted and was actually just double speaking to us on the campaign.

If you look at it between the Senate and him basically giving the Republicans his ball so they could just go home and not let anything happen is what the last two years have been. He has called for bipartisanship which doesn't work when the other sides to destroy you and salt the Earth. If he fought tooth and nail. Showed those who blocked stuff as being wrong for the country or at least attacked them you would probably have seen a better mid-term for him. Better poll numbers and he would still have the support of his base.

The guy basically has lost me. He isn't worth my air to scream about at this point. Either he is the worst negotiator ever or he just doesn't want to negotiate. He held the keys and the power and hell the public backing. He just seems to act like he had none of these.

i don't believe this. it was in the political interests of the republicans to block everything they could, but it was not clear from the beginning that this was the case, nor that they would have the party discipline to carry through with it. it turned out they did.

so then the question was whether obama would insist on pushing genuinely progressive legislation that would NOT pass the senate, or push compromise legislation that would. he went with the latter and i laud him for it.

because as much as compromise offends the liberal sensibilities of some on the left, executive inaction is bad for the party and bad for the nation. "We didn't do anything with our control of congress and the presidency with 60/59/58 seat majority because they blocked us" is not a winning argument.

liberals who can't suck it up and deal with reality - or somehow assume that their ideology is really popular in extremes and just somehow not actually reflected in elections and just needs to be doubled down on - are fundamentally why the democratic party is fucking useless. as horrible and hateful and crazy as the republicans are, you don't get substantial numbers of them bolting over even very fundamental disagreements. but ask a fucking liberal to compromise and it's choruses of fuck this country and fuck the president and imma vote green or move to france.

I'mma make love to you will.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Preacher I am going to be the prettiest princess.

I will service the king of the faeiries

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited December 2010
    organichu come clean

are you actually a [strike]dick[/strike]werewolf?

Arch on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I do like how one of the Goblin jokes is an its a wonderful life quote which most of their player base would never get.

Which one?

Winky on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Oh god, Olbermann just ripped Obama a bigger asshole than he EVER did W; he is losing it on him.

I really find the current cliff-jumping from the left pundits to be baffling

It's not the pundits alone. The dems in the house hate this plan, and the senate dems are threatening to filibuster Obama's own compromise plan. He done fucked up.

there is something to be said for passing an imperfect thing rather than forestalling action.

i mean, extension of the bush tax cuts sucks. i don't like it.

but at the end of the day, obama's going to be judged on something getting done, and not what bad things he forestalled. 52 seats in the senate is not enough to stuff the republicans and pass the democratic wish-list. hell, 60 votes wasn't enough to do that.

I'm with you on this one Will, from the other direction. I don't like the extension of unemployment benefits all that much but I would much rather have my government do something instead of sit around and self-fellatate like the bunch of chucklefucks they are
    gooey you honestly think extending tax cuts to the rich when they already pay disproportionately less taxes than A) the rich in every other first world nation, and B) the rich in this nation ever have in the past outside of the Gilded Age, will help our economy and country enough to offset the tremendous swelling of the deficit this will entail?

is that your honest position?

yes exactly

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited December 2010
    and surely no one would be an engineer on their goblin rogue

surely not

i will be a unique snowflake

That's what I'm do... Fuck!

Honestly on the Shadow Council server I saw more warriors and casters then rogues.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I still don't understand why Goblins weren't a neutral class that could roll Alliance or Horde.

There are all kinds of Goblins in the Alliance. Hell one of the leaders of SI7 is a Goblin.

Ludious on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't hate Obama. But to me it seems like he has not just turned his back on his base. Something you would never see the Republicans do. Hell look at the antiabortion shit that gets on the ballot here every year to pull out that base. But he also is going against popular opinion. Going against the numbers that these tax cuts have not helped but in the end have hurt and so on.

I know change is incremental. I fully understand we aren't going to become a utopia or hell even semi-sane over night. But some things seem like they should be obvious. Most of the population are willing to give up their tax breaks if it means the rich do as well.

But in general I would like for certain steps to at least try to be taken even if in the end they are blocked by the Republicans because it gives you ammunition for the elections. I see it is that the Democrats as a whole just don't understand how to play the game. Sure they don't have the votes to get cloture. Well you know what, make the Republicans who have called the filibuster actually filibuster. Make them sit there and speak until they can't anymore to block the vote. Not just call or threaten the action making the Democrats back down.

Obama I am disappointed for what seems like a deafness to the needs of the nation and the defeatism. I am furious he basically gives the Republicans what they want but doesn't go to his own party or bring them into the negotiations. I am angry at him not using his power to twist arms or to stand up for his promises. But really I don't hate him. But I am not happy.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited December 2010
    will that is a pretty good argument, but it doesnt change how I feel

I am glad that we got something done, but i feel we got a bum deal out of it

Arch on
    edited December 2010
    ooh maybe Hiram

ding ding

hahaha, no way

Nerdgasmic on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    is there anything that shouldn't be compromised on

So It Goes on
    edited December 2010
    Winky wrote: »

Which one?

"One word, Plastics."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2010
    All we had to do was reform the filibuster so that you have to actually hold the floor hostage if you want to play that game. Read a phone book, talk about star wars... Whatever. But visibly be the party of time wasting assholes that you truly are.

And force that vote through without the 60 votes using the nuclear option.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Trouble is you don't get much of a compromise when you don't put up a fight in the first place

or even the illusion of a fight

nexuscrawler on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, Second LIfe has opened a new level of passive aggressive behavior. "Do you want a better looking av?"

I just got called internet ugly in a supremely condescending way.

Silas Brown on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh look, a human.

Yeah humans tend to be hit or miss, but at least they've got a chance of being interested. Non-humans are automatically put in the box people think they belong in whether that makes for a good character or not.
    Human characters, in my experience, don't have any more depth than characters of other origins in the hands of most players. As I said earlier, I roll human pretty often. The running gag in my FFXI group was we were Elorian, Elven heir to the throne of Luna; Whiskers, the mad taru-taru with an unquenchable thirst for magical power; and Dale, from accounting.

Bama on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Don't feel bad Arch. I'm a Gnome Rogue Engineer Miner

Ludious on
    edited December 2010
    I don't hate Obama. But to me it seems like he has not just turned his back on his base. Something you would never see the Republicans do. Hell look at the antiabortion shit that gets on the ballot here every year to pull out that base. But he also is going against popular opinion. Going against the numbers that these tax cuts have not helped but in the end have hurt and so on.

I know change is incremental. I fully understand we aren't going to become a utopia or hell even semi-sane over night. But some things seem like they should be obvious. Most of the population are willing to give up their tax breaks if it means the rich do as well.

But in general I would like for certain steps to at least try to be taken even if in the end they are blocked by the Republicans because it gives you ammunition for the elections. I see it is that the Democrats as a whole just don't understand how to play the game. Sure they don't have the votes to get cloture. Well you know what, make the Republicans who have called the filibuster actually filibuster. Make them sit there and speak until they can't anymore to block the vote. Not just call or threaten the action making the Democrats back down.

Obama I am disappointed for what seems like a deafness to the needs of the nation and the defeatism. I am furious he basically gives the Republicans what they want but doesn't go to his own party or bring them into the negotiations. I am angry at him not using his power to twist arms or to stand up for his promises. But really I don't hate him. But I am not happy.

See this is where reality bites you in the ass, you are right but for the wrong party.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    is there anything that shouldn't be compromised on

Whiskey

Senjutsu on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh look, a human.

Human characters, in my experience, don't have any more depth than characters of other origins in the hands of most players. As I said earlier, I roll human pretty often. The running gag in my FFXI group was we were Elorian, Elven heir to the throne of Luna; Whiskers, the mad taru-taru with an unquenchable thirst for magical power; and Dale, from accounting.

:lol:

Silas Brown on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not sure I get the Obama hate. I get the Obama frustration, but not the hate.

From where I see it, the current gist is that this is a terrible deal, which I would agree with, and the instinct is to say he should have pushed for more. Perhaps, but I have to wonder: How much more could he have gotten? My observation of the Republican party has been a party that has followed obstructionism so devotely they'd only vote for a blue policy if it was part of a veeeeeeeeeery slightly purplish-red package, which I think this bill is equivalent to.

So I ask from a position of ignorance: What else could he do?

From what I've been gathering people are basically upset that he didn't put up a big fight in the public eye.

Like, most people who are bitching seem to agree it probably is the best he'd be able to get out of the republicans but they're frustrated Obama didn't make a show out of it. Presumably because they wanted more light shed on the fact that the rebublicans were more than willing to scew over the middle class to ensure the rich kept their tax cuts.

HappylilElf on
    edited December 2010
    Trouble is you don't get much of a compromise when you don't put up a fight in the first place

or even the illusion of a fight

yeah but

on the other hand why get into a screaming match with someone who thinks you are poison?

Arch on
This discussion has been closed.