As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DORFS. DORFS EVERYWHERE. Dwarf Fortress.

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i stopped paying attention to the time and I just found it is 8:30 am

that means I've just discovered that I've been playing for 8 hours straight without noticing

fuck you metzger

fuck you in your ear, sir!

Raneados on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    oh rane, you know just how to talk to a girl :3

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    wow, rane

how many dwarf years ran by in eight hours?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    my computer is pretty slow

so

2?

Raneados on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    willickers

I can usually burn through year 1 in an hour or two I think

dwarf content: one game I sent a dude out to wrestle with an elephant and when he went to punch it in the face the elephant lept out of the way and off a cliff

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    my computer is pretty slow! almost a decade old now

plus I run pandora in the background and that eats up a lot of speed

had my first two deaths in my fortress tonight. part of my fortress collapsed (I assume I had something set to be channeled out and the miners cut away the supports)

it smashed into the floor, then THAT floor gave way and smashed into the one below it

and this continued for 5 floors, injuring the miner and a grower that happened to be walking under it. They also smashed right into my jewelry shop but the jeweler was out at the time

I was like DANG that is some cartoon bullshit

then right after that It happened again, injuring another peasant that I'd just handed a pick to and so I deselected that little project for a while and scolded my fortress

it was my first foray into the healthcare system, and it was pretty awesome. I got to make soap and splints and a traction bench and I can only shudder to think of the poor dwarf under the knife of my Novice Everything Surgeon

some hunter kept trying to use my soap, which is apparently a bug vov, but i militarized him and that shut his ass up

MINER - 2 completely shattered and broken legs (he actually didn't go unconscious, he DRUG HIMSELF AROUND TO COMPLETE MINING JOBS, THE FUCKING ANIMAL. I was like "that'll do, man, goddamn go to the fucking hospital"
    2 broken arms
    red spleen
    several cracked ribs
    cracked floating ribs
    red liver
    broken feet
    just generally fucked up

GROWER - 2 broken hands, and lots of yellow and red stuff all over, passed out like a VAGINA at the end of his fall

PEASANT - 2 broken legs, 1 broken hand, red liver, red lung (I think), lost an eye I think as well, and more

unfortunately, after a hard-fought battle, the shitty doctor lost both the miner and the grower

as members of the original 7 and 2 of his best friends, they have been given lavish accommodations for the afterlife and their rooms have been boarded up

there will be a short service in the dining hall

aka

PARTY AT THE TABLE

Raneados on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    dammit rane why you gotta do this

why you gotta make me re install

E: oh hey I can't cause the nets is too slow HA

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    they start out as parties

but then the sadness feedback loops as the dwarves see and react to eachother getting more and more depresseed and then everything burns

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That's why I never designate dining halls. My dwarfs never get to have parties, they just bottle everything up and weep into their expertly made beds every night.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I like undesignating party areas if the parties are getting in the way of productivity

ALL PARTIES ARE CANCELED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
    work hours have been extended from 50 to 80

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just watched my roommate play this for quite awhile. One dwarf took over a workshop room and drew pictures of quarries and skeletons for hours. He was a milker, and I'm pretty sure he was sad that there was nothing to milk.

We have no idea what we're doing. He's trying really hard to build a moat, but almost got his legendary miner killed. She dug a stairway so fast that she escaped the onrushing water. Legendary!

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    okay I have a shitty military getting set up because GOBLINS OH NOOOOO

I have a squad of 5 and a squad of 2, under different captains
    I have the 5 set to hold wooden training swords and a shield and are decked out in iron armor
    the 2 are assigned crossbows, no shield or buckler, leather armor, and bone bolts set to be used for combat and training

now the squad of 5 is set to train every month with 4 minimum for training, and they do, they go to their assigned training barracks and do whatever, demonstrations, etc

HOWEVER, One of them never goes. he's still got the civvy look to him and is doing civilian tasks, I thought under his thing it says unassigned orders or whatever, but I seriously can't figure out why he's not obeying the squad orders to go train

the 2 are assigned 2 archery targets, and are set to train on them. The targets are set up corrects, but they also never do it, they're still both civvies

I swear I've looked through the wiki and gone through their steps a hundred times, disbanded the squads, put them back, still the same problem

now my questions
    1) How do I get that one squadmember from the 5 to actually participate
    2) how do I get the 2 marksdwarves to train on the targets
    3) the 4 guys out of 5 that are actually training don't seem to be gaining any skills, none of them are very good, so are they just shittily teaching each other? How do I get them to train faster, maybe spar?

Raneados on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For the marksdwarfs, have you given them ammo to use (m-f)?

Though in general marksdwarfs seem a bit hit and miss. I've got truck loads of bolts/targets assigned to them and they still love to bash each other with their crossbows.

101 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    yeah they're assigned bone bolts for both combat and training

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    woo okay i think i got it set up

I THINK I had the civilian alert messing with things

they seem to be training well now

unfortunately because I was so focused on this and solving it, I forgot to keep an eye on my fortress as a whole and my dwarfs ran out of alcohol

cue 30 dwarfs drinking from the stream

hilarious!

get back inside you little shits

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    wow there is a ghost haunting my fortress.

Look dude it's not my fault you went over a 10 level waterfall get over yourself

jeez

101 on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My bunker complex is full of wailing baby ghosts, I do not know how to bury things and apparantly chucking corpses into the volcano dosn't cut it

Hobnail on
  • Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know about this game.

I get that it's hard, but having to study to play a game is major negative points.

I hate the way the current medical system works (regardless of bugs), I think it could certainly be consolidated into nurses, surgeons and medical chief.

I haven't tried out the military aspect yet (still reading), but it seems tedious even without the bugs.

All in all though it seems fun, and an excellent break from Minecraft.

Newtron on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Newtron wrote: »
    I don't know about this game.

I get that it's hard, but having to study to play a game is major negative points.

I hate the way the current medical system works (regardless of bugs), I think it could certainly be consolidated into nurses, surgeons and medical chief.

I haven't tried out the military aspect yet (still reading), but it seems tedious even without the bugs.

All in all though it seems fun, and an excellent break from Minecraft.

I never did the least bit of studying. Just dozens upon dozens of miserable flaming screaming slipping in fear-vomit deaths.

Hobnail on
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know why my cook is getting a strange mood. I also don't know why he's asking for turtle shells.

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO CRAFT WITH TURTLE SHELLS? YOU ARE A GOD DAMN COOK.

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    StarGuardedStarGuarded Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i need to play the new version. is adventurer mode actually fun now?

StarGuarded on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just watched my roommate play this for quite awhile. One dwarf took over a workshop room and drew pictures of quarries and skeletons for hours. He was a milker, and I'm pretty sure he was sad that there was nothing to milk.

We have no idea what we're doing. He's trying really hard to build a moat, but almost got his legendary miner killed. She dug a stairway so fast that she escaped the onrushing water. Legendary!

You've got a strange mood on your hands - the milker wants to build something he's seen in a dream, but doesn't have the materials (in this case it looks like he wants bones and stone - probably a certain type of stone, or maybe stone blocks rather than just lumps).

If he can't make his masterpiece, he will go bonkers. If you're lucky, he'll just get depressed and forget to eat. If you're unlucky, he'll rage and try to kill everyone.

Either find the materials he needs quickly, or lock the door to the workshop.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    you could decapitate wolves with their own vomit in adventure mode already

how is that not fun

L|ama on
  • Options
    TurnpikeLadTurnpikeLad Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nirya wrote: »
    I don't know why my cook is getting a strange mood. I also don't know why he's asking for turtle shells.

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO CRAFT WITH TURTLE SHELLS? YOU ARE A GOD DAMN COOK.

My cook made a donkey leather tunic with a picture of his most recent masterwork meal on it, next to gods and kings

TurnpikeLad on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So some goblins decided to show up and wreck my fortress. Somehow, my novice wrestler was able to kill 2 of them before they left, although they had already killed 20 of my dwarves.

Days went by as the surviving 8 dwarves slowly slid into a never-ending cycle of death and destruction. My legendary crafter, who somehow survived the attack, went apeshit and destroyed the entire dining hall that I had built. All hope was lost.

And then the goblins returned.

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    goblins can't penetrate walls or channels, so in the future you may want to wall off your entrances and make them only accessible through lever-linked drawbridges that unfold over a channel

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    goblins can't penetrate walls or channels, so in the future you may want to wall off your entrances and make them only accessible through lever-linked drawbridges that unfold over a channel

It was like my second time ever playing, and I really wasn't expecting a goblin attack in my second summer. That seemed almost cruel.

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    this game is cruel if you don't know the little tricks

and even then

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Nirya wrote: »
    That seemed almost cruel.

pfffffhahahaha

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Cruel is when your legendary wrestler gets posessed and demands adamantine strands, then ends up going apeshit in the hospital, ripping apart the invalids

Hobnail on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd hardly call that cruel.

It's more making room for more useful dorfs.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Does stonesense actually work now
    no?
    it visualizes a save of your fortress, it does not work while actually playing

Rane

Rane, stop lying.

Stonesense is a live display of what's going on in DF.

Mayday on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Stonesense updates every .2 seconds. So basically realtime.

My roommate can't get it to display dwarfs though. Anyone had that problem?

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

You've got a strange mood on your hands - the milker wants to build something he's seen in a dream, but doesn't have the materials (in this case it looks like he wants bones and stone - probably a certain type of stone, or maybe stone blocks rather than just lumps).

If he can't make his masterpiece, he will go bonkers. If you're lucky, he'll just get depressed and forget to eat. If you're unlucky, he'll rage and try to kill everyone.

Either find the materials he needs quickly, or lock the door to the workshop.

Oops, we'll get right on that.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So the military is still a pain in the ass.

My marksdwarfs, while occasionally training at the targets, refuse to take arrows into battle and try to batter their opponents.

My melee troops, rather then wait at their station point for the enemy, would go out one by one to grab equipment from dead dwarfs or go to a previous station point.

101 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Mayday wrote: »
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Does stonesense actually work now
    no?
    it visualizes a save of your fortress, it does not work while actually playing

Rane

Rane, stop lying.

Stonesense is a live display of what's going on in DF.

I did not know this

can you access the commands via stonesense or do you have to switch back to DF every time you want to do something

Raneados on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    finally

having two monitors for one game

truly, we are living in the future

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    101 wrote: »

My marksdwarfs, while occasionally training at the targets, refuse to take arrows into battle and try to batter their opponents.

My melee troops, rather then wait at their station point for the enemy, would go out one by one to grab equipment from dead dwarfs or go to a previous station point.

you need to cancel your station points

and make sure your ammunition is useable in combat (looks like it's only been allowed for use in training)

AND, if you press "o", you can tell dorfs to ignore dead dwarf stuff

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    ranecomix!

Dwarf fortress related

(ze big)
    2d0m5hl.png

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    101 wrote: »

you need to cancel your station points

and make sure your ammunition is useable in combat (looks like it's only been allowed for use in training)

AND, if you press "o", you can tell dorfs to ignore dead dwarf stuff

I did the first two. My dwarfs decided eating goblin spears would be more fun

Did not know of the third. that's useful

101 on