As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [chat] word

MazzyxMazzyx Comedy GoldRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Etymology is the study of the history of words. It is what links our current language to past in a visceral way. It is comprised of things like word trees.

260px-The_story_of_a_word.jpg

And has explanations why many words sound the same but are completely different like the word "well."

First you have well which you pull water from and then the meaning of well such as good. These derived from two similar sounding yet separate words in Old English which in itself is a derived from mainland Europe.

Even the word Etymology itself has a history.
The word "etymology" (/ɛtɨˈmɒlədʒi/) derives from Greek ἐτυμολογία (etumologíā); from ἔτυμον (étumon), meaning "true sense", and -λογία (-logía), meaning "study"; from λόγος (lógos), meaning "speech, account, reason."[1] The Greek poet Pindar (born in approximately 522 BCE) employed creative etymologies to flatter his patrons. Plutarch employed etymologies insecurely based on fancied resemblances in sounds. Isidore of Seville's Etymologiae was an encyclopedic tracing of "first things" that remained uncritically in use in Europe until the sixteenth century. Etymologicum genuinum is a grammatical encyclopedia edited at Constantinople in the ninth century, one of several similar Byzantine works. The fourteenth-century Legenda Aurea begins each vita of a saint with a fanciful excursus in the form of an etymology.

It is an exploration into our collective past and a fascinating branch of history.

u7stthr17eud.png
Mazzyx on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Etymology?

insect_anatomy.jpg

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thats Entomology. :P

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Thats Entomology. :P

full218161191.jpg ?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    no feral, that is sentientology

Arch on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You purposefully set yourself up for that, didn't you, Feral?

LaOs on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »

tom-cruise-will-smith-9-29-08.jpg?

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Tox wrote: »

Dammit, you cruised right into his trap.

Feral on

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

Dammit, you cruised right into his trap.

As thought it were against his will...

Winky on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Haha, so many people asked my philosophy of science professor what time the final was at that he sent all of us a "let me google that for you" link.

Winky on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Haha, so many people asked my philosophy of science professor what time the final was at that he sent all of us a "let me google that for you" link.

:^: Great professor. I love lmgtfy.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac