As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Generic Interactive Tabletop Simulator - Looking for coders!

EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Critical Failures
This is a bit of a carry-over from the Warhammer 40k thread. Since it generally consumed the thread and prohibited discussion of 40k otherwise, I felt it'd be justified in its own thread.

The Generic Interactive Tabletop Simulator (GITS) may be renamed in future, but for now it is a fairly descriptive name that gets the point across. Thanks to Rankenphile for the name.

The overall aim of the project is a fairly open-ended sandbox environment for players to play tabletop games on. I'm sure most of you can figure out the kinds of things it might be used to simulate, but we won't go into any sort of explicit details on that. What I will say is that it is an entirely volunteer project, and this thread is an open invitation to participation.

The idea is simple - We're aiming to create a program environment where players can chat with one another, set up tables, and play whatever games with whatever rules they care to. To facilitate this, the application will come with a variety of tools - movement tools, measurement tools, dicing tools, all the stuff that your standard tabletop simulator might require. The interface is going to be a fairly visual one - players will be able to upload and play with their own two-dimensional sprites, viewed in a top-down angle, on the table. These uploaded sprites will then (hopefully) be added to an overall sorted 'pool' of sprites that the application can use, and can then be used at a later date by other players.

I will let RiemannLives, the coder, fill in the particular details of the application's worky bits, as it is all arcane knowledge to me.

Please do bear in mind that the actual application will take a while to get on it's feet, as at present we only have one man coding it. As much of a trooper as he is, he also holds down a work schedule, so it could take a fair while to get running. In the mean time, this could be a very good opportunity for some of you who are looking forward to playing to make sprite art.

So, onward to the art guidelines.

30x30 pixels is, in general, a perfect size for most infantry or troops in the game. The small size also makes it fairly conducive to individuals (like you) to make your own sprite art and have it incorporated into the game. It also makes editing previously-made sprite art fairly simple - all you need is MS Paint!

Larger units, such as leaders or particularly detailed troops, could manage being 48x48 pixels. This number, according to our coder, helps keep things in a general scale.

Even bigger single units are recommended to be between 60x60 to 72x72 pixels. I have personally tended towards the 60x60 pixel limit, as I think it ends up keeping a good sense of scale to the troops who are approximately 1/4th the size. Large demons or mechanical walkers are a good fit for this size.

Tanks can be even larger if necessary, as well as terrain features. I've personally done a tank at 60x90, and I imagine I'll do a larger one than that soon. There is no real limit on the image sizes, but it helps if sprites you plan on using together are drawn to approximately the same scale. For example, a foot soldier drawn by one player should strive to be approximately the same scale as a foot soldier drawn by another player - this cohesion in art style prevents a huge graphical boundary in tabletop terms.

The main function of this thread at present is to foster and encourage the creation of sprites for tabletop games. These games can be pretty much anything; for example, Warhammer 40k, FB, or BFG. You can make sprites for your tabletop D&D games as well.

Also, please note: If you use paint or another graphics application, please try not to save your work as .JPEG. The compression of that filetype tends to ruin sprite work. As I doubt we'll be getting any seriously huge images in this thread, I'm going to advise that you save and post your work as a .BMP filetype, as it suffers from none of the wonky colors or compression that other filetypes do. Try to make sure your background and the sprite you've drawn aren't too close in color, otherwise it may lead to some difficulty.

EDIT: G.I.T.S. has been added to the Warforge under Projects, as well as a handy F.A.Q.

EDIT 3/8/07 Hey guys.

I've talked to a few of you over the past few days and this project has come up in conversation, only it was mentioned posthumously, which bothers me.

This is still going to happen.

Riemann's been crazy-super-busy with his work, and as such, I've asked him to post up the requirements needed for additional people to help code.
Yeah, progress has been slow but the code is coming along. There have been two main issues thus far:
1) I work full time as a programmer. A lot of time time when I get home coding more is a little unnapealing.
2) I'm nearly through with a bunch of very boring but nescessary groundwork / utility classes. Once I get to the more interesting stuff I think the pace will pick up a bit.

I will be posting here in the near future with technical info. The short version is, if you have any understanding of Object Oriented Programming (C++, C#, Java etc... any OOP language OK. Previous experience with Flash is not required or even helpful.) and want to help out there is room for you! All of the code except networking will be in Actionscript 3.0 (networking in C#) but with a basic understanding on an OOP language AS3 is hell of easy to learn. Also, all the tools used for the actionscript portion are free (Flash Develop and ANT for building) and all the docs for AS3 are available on the web. I'll post links and instructions for setting up Flash Develop in the near future.

So to summarize: We are looking for people comfortable with C++, C#, Java, or Object Oriented Programming in general to help program this thing up in Actionscript 3.0. If you are interested, please post! The more help we can get , the faster this should come along.

Edit 4/1/07:

Please see the 3rd post for programming resources.

[size=+1]Edit: 4/10/07:

The project now has two new resources - the forum and a Programming Subversion on Assembla.com. [/size]

Ein on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    In regards to sprites for Warhammer 40k, a lot of the forumers and I seem to have come to a general consensus over the sprite art scale.

angles12.jpg

This is the scale of average Space Marine unites. Terminators, being larger and heavily armored, are along the top row (save for the far left).

Below that, Space Marines are also present, and they are generally to be considered the average-sized troop. Assault marines are a row below them on the left, with their large jetpacks, and unarmored Marine Scouts on the bottom right - they are smaller to try and represent their relative weakness.

You'll see I also made a variety of dreadnoughts to represent different weapons loadouts - I WOULD PREFER IF ANY DREADNOUGHTS MADE IN FUTURE WERE ROUGHLY HELD TO THIS SCALE. I realize dreads can be a variety of sizes, with the Chaos ones being rather spiky and tentacly, but it helps keep a coherent art style if you work at around that scale.

The rhino and whirlwind on the right are made to fit inside a 60x90 pixel area. I have a feeling a land raider may require much more than this - likely 90x90 all the way to the edges. Again, there is no hard pixel size limit, only a relative scale that I advise is held to.

These are Timspork's super-awesome imperial guard:

IG2.jpg

He sticks to the general sizes of the other units and accurately represents the individual weaponry at the same time. This is :^:

Here is an example of an ork -

angles13.jpg

Orks are larger or as large as your average Space Marine, so they should obviously be as bulky. The trick is not to go crazy and make them too big at the same time! A warboss, which is likely to be a much larger and heavily armored target, would probably be a 48x48 sprite.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Coding resources

The original plan for this project is to do a majority of the work in Actionscript 3. As luck would have it, the best tool for authoring Actionscript 3.0 also happens to be free. FlashDevelop is an app originally designed for Actionscript 2.0 development but it can be modded for 3.0. The initial setup is not trivial but once its working it is a very nice tool. I have included below the steps to set up FlashDevelop for AS3.

Thanks go to ReimannLives for this list

Setting up FlashDevelop for Actionscript 3.0
    1. Download and install the base program from here:
      http://www.flashdevelop.org/downloads/releases/FlashDevelop-2.0.2-Final.exe
    2. Download and install the Java 1.5 runtime from here:
      http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
    3. Download the Flex2 SDK(just the SDK itself, none of the other stuff on
      this page like the japanese language pack) from here:
      https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=flex . You need to
      register but it is free.
    4. In the FlashDevelop program settings edit ASCompletion.Flex2SDK.Path to
      match where you unzipped the Flex2 SDK
    5. Download the AS3 intrinsic classes from here:
      http://www.returnundefined.com/files/fdas3/AS3_intrinsic_classes.zip
    6. Add the location where you unzipped the AS3 intrinsic classses to your
      global classpath in FlashDevelop under Tools
    7. Remove all references to Macromedia from the global classpath.
    8. Download the AS3 top level classes here:
      http://www.flashdevelop.org/downloads/releases/as3_toplevel.zip . Unzip
      anywhere except in the folder where you unzipped the AS3 intrinsic classes.
    9. In the FlashDevelop program settings edit
      ASCompletion.Macromedia.Classpath to match where you unzipped the AS3 top
      level classes.
    10. In the FlashDevelop program settings change
      ASCompletion.MTASC.UseStdClasses to false
    11. Download the MXML completion file from here:
      http://flashdevelop.org/downloads/releases/Flex201_MXML_definition.zip and
      unzip to the Data directory inside of your FlashDevelop install location
      (eg: C:\Program Files\FlashDevelop\Data\ ).
    12. Download and install ANT from here: http://ant.apache.org/
    13. Download Keith Peters ANT based project templates from here:
      http://www.bit-101.com/flashdevelop/ProjectTemplates.zip and unzip into
      Data\ProjectTemplates\ inside your FlashDevelop install location (eg:
      C:\Program Files\FlashDevelop\Data\ProjectTemplates\ )
    14. For both of the project templates unzipped in the last step (Flex 2
      Project and AS3 Project), open up the build.properties file and edit the
      path of the Flex 2 SDK in the Tools section of the file to match where you
      unzipped the Flex 2 SDK in step #3.
    15. Open the file Toolbar.xml inside the Settings directory in your
      FlashDevelop install location. Add a button for the ANT based build process
      by adding the following XML: <button label="ANT Build" click="PluginCommand"
      image="54" tag="Run;SaveAll;ant" shortcut="CtrlF7" />
    16. Make sure the ANT_HOME environment variable is set to where you
      installed ANT. Also make sure your CLASSPATH environment variable is set
      properly for your Java installation.
    17. Download the AS3 versions of the tracing utilities from here:
      http://akajimmy.net/as3_trace.zip and unzip to
      \Library\org\flashdevelop\utils in your FlashDevelop install location (eg:
      C:\Program Files\FlashDevelop\Library\org\flashdevelop\utils).

References:
    1. High level overview of AS3:
      http://www.adobe.com/devnet/actionscript/articles/actionscript3_overview.html
    2. Language Syntax:
      http://livedocs.adobe.com/labs/as3preview/docs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm
    3. Language Reference: http://livedocs.adobe.com/labs/as3preview/langref/
    4. Flex 2: http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/201/
    5. Dev Articles: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/actionscript/
    6. Some libraries in AS3:
      http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/ActionScript_3:resources:apis:libraries

Ein on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well I guess I don't need to repost them then :)

I'm working on a Leman Russ at the moment. Jesus this is hard.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited January 2007

If you want a tip: What I did with the rhino was to go into Dawn of War, screenshot it from above, then use that screenshot as a reference.

Ein on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

If you want a tip: What I did with the rhino was to go into Dawn of War, screenshot it from above, then use that screenshot as a reference.

I'm just using a Leman Russ model as reference :)

I'm making it right now without the turret, sponsoons, or hull weapon. That way I can copy it over before making the variants.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is awesome guys. I'm really looking forward to your work. We've got the channel #bombfell on the irc server for ODAM guys, feel free to use it if you want to coordinate stuff.

I will follow this with great anticipation.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Okay, just got home where I can reference some models to actually get some sort of scale working. I'll get some basic orks up soon, then try to move on to a trakk and trukk once I get those done.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    tank.bmp

Jesus vehicles are hard.

Leman Russ without a turret yet.
    Jam I'm trying to highlight and shade but I suck with Photoshop so I'm using Paint. Needless to say it takes me a while. Does this look good?

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is awesome.
    I might take a stab at some chaos tomorrow :^:

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Just to point out, though, that DoW has a bit of an odd scale with some things.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    tank.bmp

Jesus vehicles are hard.

Leman Russ without a turret yet.
    Jam I'm trying to highlight and shade but I suck with Photoshop so I'm using Paint. Needless to say it takes me a while. Does this look good?

It looks good, but the lines aren't quite clear. I think highlighting it would help - like the shading around the edges on the rhino I did earlier - but I also think part of it has to do with the camo. It's cool, don't get me wrong, but I would personally just go for a straight-up green - it makes it easier for people to recolor later, as well.

Save that, though, because that looks cool.

Ein on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Thoughts?

boyz_test1.png

From left to right - Choppa/slugga, frag/slugga, krak grenade/slugga, choppa/big shoota, choppa/rokkit launcha.

I'm going to start work on the wartrakk now, just to get a feel for the vehicles.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Thoughts?

boyz_test1.png

From left to right - Choppa/slugga, frag/slugga, krak grenade/slugga, choppa/big shoota, choppa/rokkit launcha.

I'm going to start work on the wartrakk now, just to get a feel for the vehicles.

The colors on the skin don't seem to all be the same - some have a higher highlight on the arms than others. I like the rokkit launcher one, but it's a two-handed weapon, so you can't have the choppa as well - I'd probably try and draw him gripping it across the front of his torso. Same with the big shoota - it's not exactly legible. I can tell it's a gun, but without reading it I didn't figure it for a big shoota, and those are two-handed. Loving the frag nade - I think you could turn that into a good tankbusta with a mask.

Land Raider'd! Fits in at 100x100.

lr.bmp

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Land Raider'd!
    lr.bmp

You ware way too fast at this...

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Land Raider'd!
    lr.bmp

What am I missing? I'm thinking a predator, which is a simple mod on a Rhino, and maybe bikes, but wouldn't that be it?

Edit: It just occurred to me that this app in sandbox mode would be a cool way of writing up battle reports from when you played an actual tabletop game but had no camera handy.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I see what happened with the highlights - I used your older model without the highlight on accident on some of the newer ones. My Big Shoota model has an extra weapon in his off-hand, which led to the confusion on the two-handed weapons. I'll remedy that in a sec.

How's the WarTrakk look?

trakk.png

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I see what happened with the highlights - I used your older model without the highlight on accident on some of the newer ones. My Big Shoota model has an extra weapon in his off-hand, which led to the confusion on the two-handed weapons. I'll remedy that in a sec.

How's the WarTrakk look?

trakk.png

That is awesome. Scale is great, colors are great, details are great.

Ein on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Land Speeders and Razorbacks + Vindicator tanks (more Rhino mods). Unless you want to add some more independent characters like Techmarines, Captains, and a Librarian & Chaplain in different armor.

Also, I notice your Land Raider's lascannons are outlined in black rather than your typical charcoal. Makes them stand out oddly.

I would create an army to help out if I had a decent eye for drawing shapes, but alas I am terrible at such. I am however rather proficient at recoloring and could in all likelyhood create some SM chapters on request. I'll also try my hand at making some elite Ork units ('Ard Boyz, Skarboyz, Stormboyz, Flash Gitz and their shoota upgrades), once their main sprites' color issues get settled.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Cool. I'll move on to the Trukk then.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Land Raider'd!
    lr.bmp

What am I missing? I'm thinking a predator, which is a simple mod on a Rhino, and maybe bikes, but wouldn't that be it?

Edit: It just occurred to me that this app in sandbox mode would be a cool way of writing up battle reports from when you played an actual tabletop game but had no camera handy.

Do a drop pod and a Thunderhawk and you would be god.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Land Raider'd!
    lr.bmp

Do a drop pod and a Thunderhawk and you would be god.

Drop pod? Maybe.

Thunderhawk? Seriously? I couldn't picture a need for that. Maybe.

Utsanomiko: Yeah, I noticed what you meant about the charcoal thing. Fixed that up a bit and reuploaded. If you want to recolor SM stuff, that'd be cool - having Blood/Dark angels would be awesome. It's stuff you could photoshop a hue shift on pretty easy.

Rank: Make the trukk look like the plastic kit, not the DoW thing. The plastic kit's more recognizable.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, I've got a couple of the plastic kit ones from back when I played GorkaMorka. I'm basing it off of them. I'll probably do one with the Wrekker Ball attachment, too, just for grins.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The Forgeworld of Arcadia produces yet another war vehicle.

tank1.bmp

I know it looks skinny but The size is based of a comparison between one of my Rhino and my Leman Russ and using the shell from Jam's Rhino to get the size. A Russ is only marginally wider than a Rhino and the same length in track.

I saved a separate image of the turretless Russ so I can do a Demolisher pretty easily.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hope you guys get this up and running, I've always wanted to play Warhammer but Ive never had the funds to do so. This would be an awesome way to get into it.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    trukk_empty.png

Here's the Trukk without a driver, gunner or mounted weapon. I'll be adding them in next.

edit: tim, that looks really nice, but some of the lines seem just a little too dark. Perhaps toning them down a bit to a slightly lighter green/grey?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    trukk_empty.png

Here's the Trukk without a driver, gunner or mounted weapon. I'll be adding them in next.

edit: tim, that looks really nice, but some of the lines seem just a little too dark. Perhaps toning them down a bit to a slightly lighter green/grey?

I tried that but the Russ has so many lines that are necessary to know what the hell it is that if I make it lighter it just blends into itself.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Rank: That Trukk wins, and wins hard. You're good at this. I like the way you drew the highlights on it, too, but having them come from one side makes it look a bit different - not bad, mind you, I like it, but just different. Actually, if you look below, I threw it in the picture, and it looks better than what I've been drawing. :D

Tim: Cut those back treads down a bit. They might be that long, but I'd shift things up a few pixels to try and get rid of that elongated appearance. Other than that, it looks really good - You really went the distance with the details.

As far as landspeeders go, before I take this any farther: Is it too big?

ls.bmp

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    1.bmp

Full Update with all currently completed models.
    Added Demolisher and finished the Psycher.

For reference the guys with the gold and tan hats are senior officers and the guys with silver and helmets are junior officers. Both sets have all combinations of weapons.
    I also tried to make the Kasrkin Sgt more distinctive but it's hard.

The Psycher is supposed to look like the model, holding his staff thing in one hand while casting out his other hand.
    The dudes with the grey boxes on their backs found next to the Infantry Platoon and above the medic are Vox Casters and Master Vox Casters respectively.

Ok I'm going to bed now. I'll work on some more tomorrow. I look forward to trying to draw a Sentinel.
    Tim: Cut those back treads down a bit. They might be that long, but I'd shift things up a few pixels to try and get rid of that elongated appearance. Other than that, it looks really good - You really went the distance with the details.

You're right it does look better. I'll update it tomorrow.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hay guys i'm pony from SE++

Rank pointed me here. I've been running this sort of online board game thing called Dead Man's Road. Sort of a mix of the Zombies! board game and a "skirmish game" like Necromunda or Gorkamorka or Mordheim.

Thus far, it's been going really slowly, but we've had fun. I used RPG maker to make a basic map board, and then Kantankeris stepped in hugetimes to create rockin sprites for everything.

Rank pointed me here because this is exactly the sort of thing that would DMR work perfectly and while I have basically no coding knowledge or artistic ability, I whole heartedly support your work and hope to see it come to fruition.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    1.bmp

Full Update with all currently completed models.
    Added Demolisher and finished the Psycher.

For reference the guys with the gold and tan hats are senior officers and the guys with silver and helmets are junior officers. Both sets have all combinations of weapons.
    I also tried to make the Kasrkin Sgt more distinctive but it's hard.

The Psycher is supposed to look like the model, holding his staff thing in one hand while casting out his other hand.
    The dudes with the grey boxes on their backs found next to the Infantry Platoon and above the medic are Vox Casters and Master Vox Casters respectively.

Ok I'm going to bed now. I'll work on some more tomorrow. I look forward to trying to draw a Sentinel.

You're right it does look better. I'll update it tomorrow.

They don't have to be direct copies of the tabletop models, only representations. I think you might want to consider stuff like that with the psyker and the kas. sgt. (an easy way to convey 'psyker' is with lightning shooting out of the hands, too. :D) You may consider shortening up the bipod stands on the heavy weapons by just a bit, as right now they look a bit too big, though I may be wrong - just speaking from aesthetics. You can serve to bump those russes width's out a pixel on either side, too, on the track areas. This is all nitpicking, really, as you've done a tremendous job. That banner guy is still spectacular - easily the best sprite in this thread.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:

Rank pointed me here. I've been running this sort of online board game thing called Dead Man's Road. Sort of a mix of the Zombies! board game and a "skirmish game" like Necromunda or Gorkamorka or Mordheim.

Thus far, it's been going really slowly, but we've had fun. I used RPG maker to make a basic map board, and then Kantankeris stepped in hugetimes to create rockin sprites for everything.

Rank pointed me here because this is exactly the sort of thing that would DMR work perfectly and while I have basically no coding knowledge or artistic ability, I whole heartedly support your work and hope to see it come to fruition.

Awesome, that's the sort of thing this is aiming for. As for 'artistic ability' - they're really just 30x30 sprites. Make a few zombies and you're 3/4 done! They can look like trash, who cares?

Anyway, this project will likely take a while to get coded, as we have one guy working on the code in his free time, but the support's appreciated.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Jam

I put one of the speeders next to one of the Trukks, and your model is just slightly too long. Perhaps shorten it by around 4 or 5 pixels, and it should do the trick.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:

Awesome, that's the sort of thing this is aiming for. As for 'artistic ability' - they're really just 30x30 sprites. Make a few zombies and you're 3/4 done! They can look like trash, who cares?

Anyway, this project will likely take a while to get coded, as we have one guy working on the code in his free time, but the support's appreciated.

I'm going to pass this info on to Kantankeris, who made all the sprites for my DMR game and apparently enjoys spriting in general.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:
    Pony wrote:

I'm going to pass this info on to Kantankeris, who made all the sprites for my DMR game and apparently enjoys spriting in general.

Lol, I was just doing a search for him to send him a PM. He'd be fucking brilliant at this stuff, his work for DMR was great. Thanks for beating me to the punch, Pony.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm making progress on some Dark Angels, although I ran into a hitch when I realized that Adjust Hue/Saturation wasn't going to cut it: it distorts the consistency of the colors way too much and ends up with a whole mess of artifacts. I'm going back and just sticking to replacing colors with a palette selected by eye.

Also, you try recreating the Dark Angels emblem in 6x6. :P

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Utsanomiko wrote:

I know what you mean. It simply has to be emblematic, though you can get away with something fancier on the dread/vehicles.

Rank, I'm not going to lie, I'm looking forward to seeing how you render a Warboss.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Utsanomiko wrote:
    I'm making progress on some Dark Angels, although I ran into a hitch when I realized that Adjust Hue/Saturation wasn't going to cut it: it distorts the consistency of the colors way too much and ends up with a whole mess of artifacts. I'm going back and just sticking to replacing colors with a palette selected by eye.

Try using Image>Adjustments>Selective Color... option, it should give you more control.

Also, here's the Trukk with a driver and a gunner with a heavy bolta. I don't care for the gun, but I'm not sure what else to do. I might just nab the guns off of the Trakk.

trukk_bolta.png

edit: the warboss... yeah, that's gunna be a challenge. I don't have a model for it, but I've found a good number of websites with photos of them. None are from above, though, so it will be a lot of hit/miss. I will probably have to recruit your uber skills for some help on that one, when the time comes.

edit 2: here's the trukk with an updated Heavy Bolta.
    trukk_bolta2.png

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Utsanomiko, maybe this will help. Lots and lots of Selective Color adjustments to get a good red base.

marines_red.png

Just need to change the Ultramarine icon to a Blood Angel icon, and you should be good.

edit: wow, a bit over-saturated. Let me try to back it off...

edit 2: a little better...

marines_red2.png

edit 3: okay, that's it for me for the night. I'll do some more tomorrow, but I gotta get some sleep.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    edit 2: here's the trukk with an updated Heavy Bolta.

trukk_bolta2.png

The new HB's colors are a bit unusual, but I like the lines.

It's not the best reference, but this is from DoW's army painter:

warboss.jpg

Sorry, the UI covers some of it up.

Also, shortening the length of the landspeeder did the trick perfectly.

Also, Rank? :P You left the ultramarines thing on them. I'm assuming you were just demonstrating how to change the colors?

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    thanks, Jam.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png