Options

Generic Interactive Tabletop Simulator - Looking for coders!

• Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So here's my first attempt at a Witch Hunter for Mordheim.
    witchhunter.jpg
    Not very good, particularly next to that pretty Grey Knight, but I gave it a go, had a good time with it. Thoughts?

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm gonna rework the guardian when I get home from calss today. I might also try and do a falcon.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2007
    Just an FYI, today will be insanely busy at work, so a lot of the Ork work will have to wait until at least this afternoon, if not evening. I like the 'Ard Boyz and SkarBoyz recolors, but I'll be going through and reworking a lot of the original sprites with some clean-up as soon as I have a chance.

Great, great work so far, everyone. I am absolutely enamored by this project.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Warhammer Fantasy would be pretty tough to code, but Mordheim is skirmish style.

It is IMPERATIVE that Mordheim be included. To the MSPaint-cave!

Edit: I was thinking about the Fantasy issue in the shower just now. Is the program going to do movement and combat and whatnot for the player, or is it going to just put the sprites on the screen and let you move them around? If the latter, all you'd really need for Fantasy regiments would be a sort of "movement tray" you could line up the soldier in. Moving the tray around moves the sprites with it, and when you suffer casualties you can just take them off.

'Course, if the game is running everything then that's a moot point.

This program DOES NOT provide any rules. The rules are provided by the game booklets which you own and bring to the program.

This program is not a Warhammer simulator. It is a generic interactive tabletop simulator, if people use that to recreate Warhammer rules then that is their choice but it is not this programs goal.

... ahem...

Though, I do think you are on to something with the movement tray. Is there going to be a way, within the program, to "link" spirtes together into a unit? That would be pretty bad-ass, I think.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Callius wrote:
    Warhammer Fantasy would be pretty tough to code, but Mordheim is skirmish style.

It is IMPERATIVE that Mordheim be included. To the MSPaint-cave!

Edit: I was thinking about the Fantasy issue in the shower just now. Is the program going to do movement and combat and whatnot for the player, or is it going to just put the sprites on the screen and let you move them around? If the latter, all you'd really need for Fantasy regiments would be a sort of "movement tray" you could line up the soldier in. Moving the tray around moves the sprites with it, and when you suffer casualties you can just take them off.

'Course, if the game is running everything then that's a moot point.

This program DOES NOT provide any rules. The rules are provided by the game booklets which you own and bring to the program.

This program is not a Warhammer simulator. It is a generic interactive tabletop simulator, if people use that to recreate Warhammer rules then that is their choice but it is not this programs goal.

... ahem...

Though, I do think you are on to something with the movement tray. Is there going to be a way, within the program, to "link" spirtes together into a unit? That would be pretty bad-ass, I think.
    I'd think even for skirmish units you'd want to link them together, if only to save time clicking and dragging shit around the screen.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2007
    My understanding of the program was that you'll be able to "plug in" rule sets (most likely an .XML file) that will allow you to run games, such as 40k or (god I wish) GorkaMorka, then "plug in" sprite packs that you would use as your army.

My (limited and mostly assumed) understanding of it is as follows:

* XML file dictates game rules, including army names and links to Sprite Packs with appropriately named art files
    * ZIP/RAR art packs with all of the appropriately-named Sprites for an XML army list would be available through public creation, and would be dropped into the appropriate folder after install, allowing you to use the models with the XML Rules Packs
    * Support for ArmyBuilder-type programs where you can build your complete army, export an HTML/XML army list, which the program will convert into a valid army
    * Net Code to allow multi-player games to run on a turn-based system. You move all your dudes, you take your appropriate actions, you hit submit, the game does the dice rules and moves everything on your board and (if playing multiplayer) on your opponents'.

Now, again, this is just my base understanding of how the program would work, and my assumptions based on the conversations had so far. I'm sure I'm wrong about a lot of this stuff, though, and considering everything here is being done on a volunteer basis, expecting all of those features is certainly a tall order.

Thoughts?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That sounds very similar to the way the online Blood Bowl game works. You download the client and a rules set, plus all the sprites, then you import your team list and match up with people over the web.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I am really interested in what RiemannLives can do with regards to rule packs and such, but my first reaction is that it is unnecessary. There is no "rule set" included with a table, why should there be with a simulated table? All that is necessary is a chat room, die roller, and a scaled measuring device. Everything else can be worked out by the two players, just like in real life.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ElderCat wrote:
    I am really interested in what RiemannLives can do with regards to rule packs and such, but my first reaction is that it is unnecessary. There is no "rule set" included with a table, why should there be with a simulated table? All that is necessary is a chat room, die roller, and a scaled measuring device. Everything else can be worked out by the two players, just like in real life.

Yeah, totally. I see rule packs as more of a hinderance than a boon. Plus, it's a ton more coding that really isn't necessary. I don't think, at the very least.

We really just need a way to network, chat, roll dice (including scatter dice and the like... oh dear, that may prove a hard one), add sprites (terrain, models, etc.), maybe include some "to scale" templates (flamer, blast radius), and some mouse-over meta information.... maybe? I dunno.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay, here's a Lictor, complete with feeder tendrils..if you can see him.

lictor2.png

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You know, I'm actually thinking that these guys need bases especially since the base is considered the space the model takes up. If there's no base then some models will be pretty baddly nerfed beacuse of niftry looking poses.

Plus it would help to draw these guys if we had a blank base to draw them over, for sizing and all.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited January 2007
    You know, I'm actually thinking that these guys need bases especially since the base is considered the space the model takes up. If there's no base then some models will be pretty baddly nerfed beacuse of niftry looking poses.

Plus it would help to draw these guys if we had a blank base to draw them over, for sizing and all.

Yeah, I was thinking that too.

Not sure how well it would work though.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    voila. Bases.

base_black.pngbase_green.pngbase_tan.png

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well if the program measures distances from the center of the model instead of the edge of the base it would change some of the mechanics of the game. I think it would just be easier to add a black or dark green circle of the correct sizes around each model that gets on ein real life. The circle could be made to blend in a little but still act as part of the model for distance calculations, and wouldn't take away from the style.
    voila. Bases.
    Good now make me a 40mm and a 60mm base please. :)
    Also a Cavalry base :lol:

By the way, whoever is doing Orks is perfectly free to take any of the IG vehicles I draw up and loot them suitably to orky standards.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited January 2007
    carnifex1.png

Carnisexual anyone?

(look at my hooves)

OH. bases...

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    boy_frag_based.png

terminator_base.png

examples of models with bases.

Okay, now I really, really do gotta get back to work.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The bases do take something away from the awesomeness.

I dunno...

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay, I want to cover a few things.

Bases are unnecessary.
    The way ReimannLives is coding this, when you click on a unit, you will see an outline that will highlight the edges of that unit's base size. In the XML you will specify if that model has a round base (for 40k or related games) or a rectangular base (for stuff like WHFB or regimental arrangements).

Rules will not be programmed into the game. It's going to be a sandbox with dice, chat, a board, sprites, counters, and measurement tools. There's no way to even start programming this sort of thing in, because it gets incredibly complicated. It's far, far easier to let the players manage their own games and models.

I have no idea if/how unit/regiment unit on the whole will work. From what I've played, VASSAL40k works fine just moving single models at a time, and that's also the way actual 40k works. I know FB has these regiment bases or whatever, and I'm not sure if there can be a sort of 'linked movement' thing or not - that's something Reimann will have to answer.

This is an example of sample unit XML that Reimann has demonstrated will work:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <package id="tau" caption="Tau Empire">
    	<model id="fw" caption="Firewarrior - Pulse Rifle">
    		<base type="round" radius="1" />
    		<image>./images/fw_pr.png</image>
    		<description>hoody hoo</description>
    		<statLine>
    			<stat caption="WS">2</stat>
    			<stat caption="BS">3</stat>
    			<stat caption="S">3</stat>
    			<stat caption="T">3</stat>
    			<stat caption="W">1</stat>
    			<stat caption="I">2</stat>
    			<stat caption="A">1</stat>
    			<stat caption="Ld">7</stat>
    			<stat caption="Sv">4+</stat>
    		</statLine>
    	</model>
    	<model id="kroot" caption="Kroot Carnivore Squad">
    		<base type="round" radius="1" />
    		<image>./images/kr_01.png</image>
    		<description>hoody hoo</description>
    		<statLine>
    			<stat caption="WS">4</stat>
    			<stat caption="BS">3</stat>
    			<stat caption="S">4</stat>
    			<stat caption="T">3</stat>
    			<stat caption="W">1</stat>
    			<stat caption="I">3</stat>
    			<stat caption="A">1</stat>
    			<stat caption="Ld">7</stat>
    			<stat caption="Sv">-</stat>
    		</statLine>
    	</model>
    </package>

You can change these to whatever the hell you feel like. A stat could be "Likes Spaghetti", followed by the value "Y". The general idea behind what ReimannLives is aiming for this is so that nobody will be able to 'accidentally' overwrite another player's information - such as when two players submit 'space marines' with different sprites and/or stats. It's really all arcane mumbo-jumbo to me, but when he talks about it I have brief moments of clarity where this seems like an incredibly intelligent way of doing things.

I'm hoping he'll add to this later.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    boy_frag_based.png

terminator_base.png

examples of models with bases.

Okay, now I really, really do gotta get back to work.

I dunno.. they look kind of crappy with their bases.

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited January 2007

Bases are unnecessary. The way ReimannLives is coding this, when you click on a unit, you will see an outline that will highlight the edges of that unit's base size. In the XML you will specify if that model has a round base (for 40k or related games) or a rectangular base (for stuff like WHFB or regimental arrangements).

That is so kick ass awesome that I retract my opinion.

I still might use a base solely during drawing phase just so I can get scale right then erase it when it's done.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2007

Bases are unnecessary. The way ReimannLives is coding this, when you click on a unit, you will see an outline that will highlight the edges of that unit's base size. In the XML you will specify if that model has a round base (for 40k or related games) or a rectangular base (for stuff like WHFB or regimental arrangements).

I still might use a base solely during drawing phase just so I can get scale right then erase it when it's done.

Well, feel free to draw them however you like. I think having an actual base on each sprite cheapens them visually a bit, because the base outlines (I think) won't be displayed unless that model is selected. This way you end up with units that look like they're actually on the table.

Quick question re: space marines - It was mentioned earlier that normal plasma gun marines don't have the fancy backpack, only the cannon does. It this worth a retroactive edit to the sprites? It'd mean anyone who recolored them would probably have to do so as well.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Well, feel free to draw them however you like. I think having an actual base on each sprite cheapens them visually a bit, because the base outlines (I think) won't be displayed unless that model is selected. This way you end up with units that look like they're actually on the table.

Also you might want to add that if rules were implimented into the game engine the GW Lawyers would be here so fast that blackhawks would be required to fast rope the suits ontop of us.

Personally I am amazed we haven't heard anything from them yet.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    thanks for the update, Jam. Makes a lot more sense now.

Well, if anyone wants reference bases, I've tossed these together real quick. I know they're unnecessary, but if anyone wants them, here they are.

Cavalry

base_calv_black.pngbase_calv_tan.pngbase_calv_green.png

Large Models

base_lg_black.pngbase_lg_tan.pngbase_lg_green.png

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    thanks for the update, Jam. Makes a lot more sense now.

Well, if anyone wants reference bases, I've tossed these together real quick. I know they're unnecessary, but if anyone wants them, here they are.

Cavalry

base_calv_black.pngbase_calv_tan.pngbase_calv_green.png

Large Models

base_lg_black.pngbase_lg_tan.pngbase_lg_green.png

Thanks I'll definetly use them to resize the IG Heavy Weapons to make sure they are the correct size. The large base is the equivilant of a 60mm base correct?

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2007

Also you might want to add that if rules were implimented into the game engine the GW Lawyers would be here so fast that blackhawks would be required to fast rope the suits ontop of us.

Personally I am amazed we haven't heard anything from them yet.

A few things regarding that.

First, the project is not garnering any sort of finances. It is entirely volunteer work, and non-profit. That puts a dent in any sort of legality issue, as at that point it simply gets lumped under the same 'fan work' category as, say, warhammer 40k artwork. Were we selling it and generating a revenue off GW's intellectual property, then there would clearly be a problem.

The other thing is that the sprites will be uploaded and maintained by the playerbase, and not the application itself, meaning that the application is not actually responsible for any sort of infringement. There'll be no sprites or anything included with the actual program - it's just a set of tools. This frees it from additional liabilities. If we packaged stuff like warhammer sprites in with the game, then it might become an issue, you see?

It's fairly difficult to prevent a project like this based on what it might be used for - that'd be like refusing to let an individual have a car because they might run someone over with it.

Edit: This is something ReimannLives and I were discussing on AIM, if it helps you all come up with rudimentary base sizes to reference:
    Reimann: 30x30 seems a perfect size for troops (equivalent to 25mm bases)
    Reimann: in scale, that would mean units which usually stand on 40mm bases would have 48x48 PNGs
    Reimann: and units on 60mm bases (eg: dreads) would have 72x72 PNGs

I've not quite stuck to those numbers, myself, as I've found I can fit a terminator quite adequately inside a 30x30 pixel space, but for overall base sizes it may give you something to consider (as a terminator does not really fill the entirety of a 40mm base)

Ein on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Not to mention that I've never really seen an answer on the new termie bases vs. the old termie bases.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    trentsteel wrote:

lictor2.png

I didn't mean to pass over this, I just wanted to stem the base question off.

I like the sprites, but you should consider working on a different background color. The fact that it is so bright and that you are working on a model that also happens to be green makes it very hard to read.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    trentsteel wrote:

lictor2.png

I didn't mean to pass over this, I just wanted to stem the base question off.

I like the sprites, but you should consider working on a different background color. The fact that it is so bright and that you are working on a model that also happens to be green makes it very hard to read.

Hmm. Good idea. Give me a sec.

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Bleh....must sleep.

Okay here's what I have so far. I've got from left to right, top to bottom. (There are so many combinations of Tyranid biomorphs I really don't know how I'm going to do this. I might just have to pick the most popular/sensible ones ie. EC and FH.)

fieldofTyranid2.png

Genestealers:

Flesh Hooks
    Acid Maw
    Feeder Tendrils
    Nothing

Toxin Sacs
    Ext Carapace
    Implant Attack
    Scything Talons

Lictor

Carnifex with Scything Talons and Crushing Claws
    Carnifex with Two Twin-Linked Devourers and Enchanced Senses
    Carnifex with Two sets of Scything Talons

I'm won't be offended if you don't like them or have constructive criticism. Or, if you think you can draw better, please do; I'll just keep drawing these things unless someone outdoes me. I just want to make sure my favorite race is represtented.

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    The fexes look awesome. Very, very cool, man. I like that you've kept them just about the same size as a dreadnought.

I'm still noticing a decent amount of compression on those for some reason, despite the fact that you've made the PNG's. It's odd, because it prevents them from being selected from the canvas very cleanly.

Other than that, :^:

Ein on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey everyone. I'm just blown away by the response here! Anyway, I'm finishing up a project at work and there won't be anything further from me today and maybe tomorrow. But the rest of the week and this weekend should see some signifigant progress.

Just so you guys know, I am shooting for an iterative dev process here. Those of you who follow Dwarf Fortress know what I mean. There's going to be a bit of a delay for the first iteration while some groundwork is taken care of then new stuff every few days as features get done. There's a plan in place for a set of features that seem to comprise a good "alpha" release. Once we get to that point we'll take stock and figure out what to do next.

In terms of features, I want to follow the analogy of a tabletop experience. There is the table itself (the game environment) on which there are models (units), the dicebag (rolling dice, and this needs a neet UI as just seeing "you rolled: 4,5,6,3,2" is not a good long term solution), the toolbox (measuring tools, templates etc...), the model box (needs a better name) which is the UI for selecting models to place on the table and the chat window.

The first iteration is going to be just the table. You will be able to place units using a temporary "console" like command line (until the UI for the model box is done). This will let people move and rotate models to see what they look like in game and test their package XML.

Next iteration is the network protocol (this is the only C# work in the first release). This iteration won't have any obvious features as its all behind the scenes stuff.

Next is hooking the table up to the networking code and the connection UI. Networking will most likely follow a standard host + clients setup like most online games. When complete, this iteration will allow people to connect and place models the other players can see. However, package management will still be manual for a while (more on that later).

Next is the chat functionality. There will be basic commands available in addition to just chat for inline dice rolling or whatever.

Next is the dice bag.

Next is the basic toolbox UI and the measuring tool.

Next is the model box. This is going to be the most complext UI control in the first release so it might take a little longer than the previous couple iterations.

Also, I am a big fan of WHFB and D&D as well as 40k so I am definetly thinking about how those games would function. They may require features beyond the initial list but they will get in there eventually.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The fexes look awesome. Very, very cool, man. I like that you've kept them just about the same size as a dreadnought.

I'm still noticing a decent amount of compression on those for some reason, despite the fact that you've made the PNG's. It's odd, because it prevents them from being selected from the canvas very cleanly.

Yeah, I'll fix that by the time I'm done them all. Can I ask how you are showing your files on here? I should try using the same thing as you rather than Photobucket.

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    trentsteel wrote:

Yeah, I'll fix that by the time I'm done them all. Can I ask how you are showing your files on here? I should try using the same thing as you rather than Photobucket.

Trent, if you need hosting, let me know. I can host them for you on my server, just email them to me at rankenphile at gmail dot com.

I love the carnifexes, btw. Very, very vicious looking, and the weapons on them look great. My only concern with them is the tail - something just seems... odd. I don't know what it is. It sort of looks like it gets thinner at the curve and then widens again before the tip.

The lictor is perfect, imo. I love it.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Copy%20of%201.bmp

Updated shot.

As per Jam's suggestions I've:
    Increased the width of each Russ by one Pixel per side by simply moving the tread sections away from the hull and filling in. I've also shortened the back treads and it now looks much more normal.

Re-did the Kasrkin SGT based off the normal squad Sgt to keep some sort of pattern going. The original Kasrkin Sgt is still there just for laughs.

Shortened up the Psycher and added lightning to his hand.

Up next I'll work on a Chimera since there's a lot of variants that use that same hull. Is it OK with you guys if I represent the Hellhound as a pattern from Forgeworld? It is much more distinctive and more noticeable in drawings.

Do you guys want me to do different sponsoons too? I can just make a plasma gun to copy and paste over the bolter and a separate hull mounted bolter if you guys want.

Anyway I'll get to work in a little bit my order of BFG ships from GW just showed up.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BFG would make me cream myself. I imagine it'd be really quite simple to do as well. Make it so, please.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    2.bmp

Another update!

Added Ratlings and two variations of a Commissar.

The Ratlings aren't much more than big feet and a long ass rifle. As for the Commissars I had to make them grayish so that they would have some contrast to their edging. I only made a powerfist and a power sword carrying commissar however other weapons options can be made pretty quickly like I did with the Officers.

Comments?

Ok now I'm going to go play with my BFG ships.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    I dig the ratlings, but the commissar's hats look a little funny. I think they're too perfectly square; maybe round out the back a little bit and make the brim more pronounced in front?

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Still got lots of work to do on him, and haven't added any "paint" to the model yet, but this is sort of my test for the WarBoss, next to the Boyz for comparison.

mekboss_1.pngboyz_test1.png

Thoughts?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    BFG would make me cream myself. I imagine it'd be really quite simple to do as well. Make it so, please.

After work I'll start working on the Imperial fleet. I already sketched a couple ships out (from memory), and it definetly should be a bit easier than a guardsman or something.

I think I'll start with Imperial and then move to Chaos, as those two fleets are the most balanced from what I can remember.

Expect at least a cruiser and an escort ship sometime this evening.

Also, someone should start Necrons for 40k, as I suspect the entire army could be finished quickly, what with the relatively small number of units they have.

PS - timspork, those guard are hella sexy.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Still got lots of work to do on him, and haven't added any "paint" to the model yet, but this is sort of my test for the WarBoss, next to the Boyz for comparison.

mekboss_1.pngboyz_test1.png

Thoughts?
    I like the bulk of the Warboss, and the general shape of him, but he looks too bright and shiny for an Ork. Unless that's part of what you meant by lacking "paint," in which case I'll shut up now.

Mongrel Idiot on