As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I will make your game for you

• BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Awesome idea for a thread. I'll check back for other suggestions than my own.

Here's mine.

A top-down zombie apocalypse RPG roguelike using either squares or hexes as a board. Only 1 character, created at the beginning, and randomly generated maps. Graphical interface, none of that @ stuff. You play until you die or become a zombie. Character creation and level up options should be relatively deep to encourage replay/different strategies.

Too complex?

http://roguesurvivor.blogspot.com/

A rogue-like zombie thing.

Made by one guy, so not of the highest quality, but still pretty good, and near enough what you want.

EDIT: Game can actually get quite deep, the guy is adding consequences for murder, follower trust etc.

Biosys on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A game where you are in a building when suddenly a sinkhole opens up underneath it and is starting to swallow the building bit by bit. The only way to escape is up to the roof,where you will be saved.
    Starts out in a small 2 story house, buildings get bigger and bigger with more and more obstacles. Last level is a huge 2 tower-skyscraper with dozens of objects/other people getting in your way.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Terribly Horrible day or why you should be afraid of mountains

The game starts with you summiting a mountain, then you fall down the entire thing, hitting various things like boulders, other hikers, bears, etc.

Either just score for obstacles hit, or make the goal to fall down the entire mountain, with movement options for different slopes.

Key point: Must get hit by park ranger truck at the bottom

schuss on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    schuss wrote: »
    The Terribly Horrible day or why you should be afraid of mountains

The game starts with you summiting a mountain, then you fall down the entire thing, hitting various things like boulders, other hikers, bears, etc.

Either just score for obstacles hit, or make the goal to fall down the entire mountain, with movement options for different slopes.

Key point: Must get hit by park ranger truck at the bottom

Sounds like Mountain Maniac which is admittedly awesome!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cool thread!

Pacman-alike where the more power pills you gobble the more insane the visuals get until you end up with layer upon layer of batshit effects a la Space Giraffe.

Come to think of it, that's not entirely dissimilar to Pacman CE / DX but I'm thinking seriously mental effects here.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    2D sidescroller.

You fly a helicopter. Medic. It's hard to control the helicopter. You have to balance it and let down a line. Paramedics load the afflicted onto the line. You have to turf them back to the hospital.

You should be able to go up to houses and skyscrapers (so large both vertical and horizontal spaces). Various obstacles (other air units, buildings, etc.) are around that you have to navigate around.

It's hard to control the helicopter. Especially when it's transporting a person. Like you have to hold W or the arrow "up" key just to keep it flying, but if you hold it down too much it keeps going up. You let it go though, the heli drops. It also moves left and right on its own. Stuff like that. Hard to keep still.

Depending on how graphically inclined you are, the whole thing can take place in the future with oval architectures and pretty stark colors, and the helicopter can be a VTOL type plane (think Crysis).
    crysis1_large.jpg

BlackDove on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Two words:

Space. Trail.

just like Oregon Trail. Shit it IS Oregon Trail, only you shoot moon critters for food instead of buffalo, and get space cholera instead of cholera. Basically just a tongue in cheek Oregon Trail in space.

JihadJesus on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A game that controls like a 2-d brawler, except that the enemies are pathetically weak. The goal isn't to kill them, but to combo them as long as possible, slamming them into spikes and other hazards for bonus points.

jothki on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hmmm.

Think Blaster Master where your a guy in a suit, fighting large mecha in a ruined city. You have a tiny plink laser and can run and jump around zelda/bm style. The customization happens in that you can hi-jack a mecha by hopping on it's head and hacking it before getting shot off by it's budies. Different mecha has different speeds, tools, hitpoints, and weapon layouts. You have 2 hits before your dead outside a mech. Each Boss unlocks a new small 'drone' mecha in the city.

10 'waves', each representing a different zone in the city. The final boss is a massive factory unit going made that keeps sending waves of mecha out after you. Each wave has a dumb AI wabsed on what type of mecha it was. First way is Box Pusher that push boxes until you show up and then they attack you. Next wave is Box Smasher who actively look for boxes (or you) to smash. Later stages have miliary bots that actively mix you. Each stage adds different mixes of the 10 different hijackable units.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    A game where you place all the little enemy guys, but control the bosses for each level. The 'good guy' has predictable behavior (jumping/shooting) and random power-ups (like Contra).

Oh, do this one!

After playing against some of the bosses of Super Meat Boy I thought it'd be interesting to be that boss, and have to cope against a literally endless wave of increasingly competent good guys that you desperately have to crush

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    I Would like a game which shows you a platformgame, but you dont controll the action. Its just a guy (lets call him jumpman) walking from left to right.

Below this screen there are 5 tiny screens showing bits of the level. Its your job to piece these levels to the right of the existing screen. Whenever you place a tile a new tile pops into that open space.

You can slide them up or down, allowing for more paths on one tile: and if you do this on the tile jumpman is walking on he jumps or ducks. Some tiles have enemies, pitfalls to avoid and items to collect.
    You must get a given amount of points to get the endtile, but when you amount more points, jumpman starts to get confident and walks faster. Hitting enemies will hurt your score, kill you or destroy one of the 5 tiny screens, making it harder to create a new path for him.

Games over when Jumpman runs or falls out of the screen.

New levels could have harder tiles, other graphics or even bossbattles!

Maybe mix it with my idea? Making it the goal to kill the jumpman?

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I want a side scrolling samurai game with the ability to slash in 3 areas, the head, the torso, and the lower body, and the ability to block. Also if it isn't too much gore for body parts slashed at.

Oh, and some badly translated battle cries like "Prepare to die!" or "You offended my honor!" or "Your mother is a hamster!" but badly written, like "Pwepear teh Dai!"

Kadoken on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Game mechanics are less worrisome than smoothly transitioning in 3D when you change sides.

Although the latest version of Flash supports the 3D rotation of 2D objects, so that's why I think it might still be reasonable.

I thought that more that you just kinda cut to the next side of the building as you slink around, and it has different textures with shading to show the position of the sun to differentiate the sides of the building. Actually no 3D should be required.

Yeah, I'd prefer to implement 3D transitions if possible. Would be a nice touch.

:^:

I tried playing around with the native 3D rotation functions.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Though there's probably a free library that handles the tangled web of trig and tears that I would otherwise need to wade through.

Anyhow I'm going to collect the submissions that I haven't listed yet and roll the dice, like, tomorrow.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited December 2010
    excellent thread idea, I just came up with one re: Pachter on Activision denying monetizing CoD multiplayer, which I read earlier on rockpapershotgun.

the idea is an RTS game where you play a game company CEO who in each level is given an increasingly beloved game franchise which you must run into the ground in an effort to appease your shareholder masters. Each franchise has an installed base of die-hard fans who will buy it no matter what, but that dwindles away as you cut features and rush development which in turn dwindles the return on investment in the game. So something like a loop where there are set times in which you sell the game and collect money from the gamers.

Meanwhile there's a loop running on an increasingly faster timer where shareholders take money from your stock. In the event that you don't have enough money for the shareholders it's game over.

gameplay features would include things like spending resources to extend the developer cycle long enough to include x feature, cutting the dev cycle short to make some profit at the expense of killing off even more of your install base, spending resources to purchase some of your company's stock from the shareholders (at a loss of course) to reduce their quarterly take, spending money on PR and advertising to reduce the number of fans you lose on each iteration, etc.

ideally there'd be very few things you can do to win fans over, also pretty much everything costs money, which would cause it to be a constantly losing battle.

The high score table would track how many franchise iterations it took before you ultimately rode the franchise's steaming corpse to the bone. Finally, the game ranks you in terms of real world gaming industry figures. For example, someone with a high score might be called Reggie Fils-Aime, but a person with a low score would be called Bobby Kotick.

Oh right, one more thing; Cheat codes:
    have a little text box and button combo where if you type in certain cheats you get various functions:
    iddqd = you will be ranked John Carmack, your development cycle never ends unless you end it yourself, also you take 3 to 5 year breaks to study things like the physics of light only to have your games completely devoid of any.
    DNF = you will be ranked John St John, the game starts out as normal but then your dev cycle begins very quickly to approach infinity, you are no longer allowed to end the cycle early, you last only as long as the publisher will continue to give you handouts, after the game ends another company buys the rights and releases it like 6 months later.
    lionhead = you will be ranked Peter Molyneux, PR bullshit hype machine is free, somehow people still buy your games.
    realtimeworlds = game over after first iteration. NO MATTER WHAT.
    etc

All due respect acidlacedpenguin, but I can't work with this.

If you can pare it down to 100 words and make it more an idea for a game, less a direct verbal invective against Activision and Bobby Kotick, then I'll add it to the list.

kedinik on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Here's a simple one. Puzzle game making fun of Half-Life 2: You're a bored Combine guard with a headcrab launcher and stuck in a puzzle game. You have to launch headcrabs at variable power and angle. You only get a certain number per level. The headcrabs, once they land, will then crawl around very briefly to try and find a host before they give up. There are also little random people around (perhaps a joke level could also have Combine or Gordon). If you can land a headcrab on a person, they'll do something that lets you get to the next target. The last part of the puzzle is then hitting a target with a crab. This game should be very tongue in cheek.

Example level: The goal is to get headcrabs into the window of a rebel base, which has the sign "Not A Rebel Outpost, We Sware" on the side. There is a random farm house building in the way of a clean shot into the window. Start with five headcrabs. You have to hit a ledge above a guard by the farm house. The head crab will crawl off the ledge and onto the person, who zombifies, and then tears down a wall with his zombie powah. The rest of the building falls down because you took out the wall. The farm house is now out of the way, so you can fire a headcrab into the window. Also hidden in the level are bonus point tokens. At the end of a level, you get a letter grade.

Mortal Sky on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I would like a game made that is a type of SHMUP. But there is only one enemy and it is a giant butt. All it does is poop on you the entire time. You can not defeat the butt nor can you escape the poop. While the butt is pooping on you the game posts constant updates to your facebook page about how much you are getting pooped on and seem to enjoy as you are still playing the game.
    If you quit the game it will still post updates to your facebook page about how you are a coward for quitting. It will also post sexually suggestive / inappropriate comments to your girlfriends(or SO) facebook page

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited December 2010
    Combine guard launching headcrabs onto people? Funny stuff, will add to the list.

e: LittleBoots, that's a hell of an idea. Would that I had any experience with Facebook apps.

kedinik on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Xagarath on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Didn't have to click the link, all I saw was crane and I knew it.

RoyceSraphim on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i'd like to see a game where you are a Panda who has to eat bamboo in a bamboo forest but it's also full of Ninjas using it for their training. You have to evade the Ninjas and eat as much bamboo as you can without dieing!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »

Please add this to the list, it was my second choice.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    i'd like to see a game where you are a Panda who has to eat bamboo in a bamboo forest but it's also full of Ninjas using it for their training. You have to evade the Ninjas and eat as much bamboo as you can without dieing!

Eat a bamboo tree that a ninja is jumping to for bonus points (he falls and dies, with a warner bros "realistion and running on air" animation :D)

Seguer on
    edited December 2010
    Oh, also I wanted to say that kedinik should make whichever game idea grabs him the most, rather than rolling on it. I would rather see a really good game because he was passionate about making it rather than a mediocre game because that's what the dice said and that what he had to do.

I don't even care whose game gets made, this thread's full of awesome ideas.

UncleSporky on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    When do you decide?

BlackDove on
    edited December 2010
    I'm going to keep it random in the interest of fairness Sporky, though I appreciate the notion.

I haven't set a time for selecting the idea but it will be at some point today.

kedinik on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    I'd like the following game:

You are a "Dream Monster" (kinda like Freddy Krueger) that feeds of people's nightmares. You invade their dreams and enter objects in the dreams to scare them. When you scare them, a "fright meter" increases. Once it is full,their dream turns into a full on nightmare and you can eat them to move to the next level.
    While you are in their dream state,you constantly lose health. You can only stop losing health by possessing items,but once an item was possessed it is destroyed and you can't seek refuge anymore. You gain a little health back when successfully scaring the dreamer.
    The whole game is about strategically moving from item to item without dying while also scaring the dreamer to fill the meter. The further you get into the game,the less items there are and dreamers will start running around more.
    This...is almost the game, Haunting: Starring Polterguy, to a T.

Check it out.

41sdMPWeQWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edit: Oh god, I am so late.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited December 2010
    By the way Klyka, you and a few other people have submitted 3+ ideas. I'm just gonna grab one of them and throw it into the lottery unless you explicitly tell me which one you prefer.

kedinik on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Here's a simple one. Puzzle game making fun of Half-Life 2: You're a bored Combine guard with a headcrab launcher and stuck in a puzzle game. You have to launch headcrabs at variable power and angle. You only get a certain number per level. The headcrabs, once they land, will then crawl around very briefly to try and find a host before they give up. There are also little random people around (perhaps a joke level could also have Combine or Gordon). If you can land a headcrab on a person, they'll do something that lets you get to the next target. The last part of the puzzle is then hitting a target with a crab. This game should be very tongue in cheek.

Example level: The goal is to get headcrabs into the window of a rebel base, which has the sign "Not A Rebel Outpost, We Sware" on the side. There is a random farm house building in the way of a clean shot into the window. Start with five headcrabs. You have to hit a ledge above a guard by the farm house. The head crab will crawl off the ledge and onto the person, who zombifies, and then tears down a wall with his zombie powah. The rest of the building falls down because you took out the wall. The farm house is now out of the way, so you can fire a headcrab into the window. Also hidden in the level are bonus point tokens. At the end of a level, you get a letter grade.

Maybe I've been going to Kongregate too often lately, but oh god please not more launcher puzzle games.

jothki on
    edited December 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »

Hmm.

I'm leaving this off the list, on account of ZackSchilling already created that game.

Klyka I'm putting you down for the Panda/Ninja game.

I'll roll the digital dice in a few minutes.

kedinik on
  • SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's been half an hour ked!

Chronoboost those dice.

Seguer on
    edited December 2010
    Calm down you rabble!

Random.org has spoken.

Row 24! Combine guard zombifying humans with a headcrab launcher.

kedinik on
  • MgsleeMgslee United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well apparently I saw this post too late :)
    For future submissions or just posting a random idea.

I'd love to see a sort of remake of Rescue: Embassy mission from the nes. Basically on a 2D plane trying to traverse streets where snipers / spot lights are looking for you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI6b06jlXyk

Add in fire escapes / ladder for some vertical movement and of course more levels or random content.

Another idea on the same theme is to make your character a spy and give them Prince of Persia movement capabilities. Goal is still to avoid spotlights and get as far as you can.

Mgslee on
    Hit me up for SSF4 games! (Xbox Live mgslee)
    edited December 2010
    Heh.

I love how that game starts out so stealth oriented, but then it ends with you sprinting room to room and murdering everyone.

kedinik on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mgslee wrote: »
    Well apparently I saw this post too late :)
    For future submissions or just posting a random idea.

I'd love to see a sort of remake of Rescue: Embassy mission from the nes. Basically on a 2D plane trying to traverse streets where snipers / spot lights are looking for you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI6b06jlXyk

Have you ever played the Splinter Cell games on the GBA?

They are pretty much Rescue: Embassy Mission but with a Splinter Cell theme. No joke.

slash000 on
  • VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've always wanted to do something like this to get some coding/game design practice in my free time, my problem is that I don't know flash, and I can't do any kind of art/graphics. Love doing the design and actual code of the games, hate hate hate trying to make any kind of art. Blegh.

If I come up with any good ideas, I'll post them. I had one last night, can't think of it now >.>

VicWhiten on
    camo_sig2.png
  • rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This might require a lower level language than flash, but I really like the shortest path algorithm employed in the open source game, liquid war.

So I guess there could be a game where you are a rogue nanobot swarm that wants to eat your way out of the testing facility while rubber covered scientists try to stop you

rRootagea on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    New idea:

Traffic Dancer -

You're in traffic, and the goal is to get through it as fast as possible. Have adjustable holes in traffic with like 4 lanes. Different size cars, bonus scores for not cutting people off and using your blinker.

schuss on
    edited December 2010
    VicWhiten wrote: »
    I've always wanted to do something like this to get some coding/game design practice in my free time, my problem is that I don't know flash, and I can't do any kind of art/graphics. Love doing the design and actual code of the games, hate hate hate trying to make any kind of art. Blegh.

If I come up with any good ideas, I'll post them. I had one last night, can't think of it now >.>

VicWhiten, you should totally grab Flash CS5, pick a super simple idea, and make that game. If you have trouble picking up AS3 just ask me for help.

Hell, I'll throw together a little "Getting Started" video tutorial.

kedinik on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is this still going on? It was a cool idea.

joshofalltrades on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i hope so

still sounds cool

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490