As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Uncharted 3: Drake's GOTY

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    mastrius wrote: »
    I could swear they've all been saying Fallon.

Really? Whoops, I really should've checked out that first.
    Is it all but confirmed that Elena is back? They did have Emily Rose back in the studio those months ago for...something.

If Uncharted 2 is anything to go by, don't expect anything for a while. From memory, she was only confirmed a month or two before release (maybe not even that long, I can't remember exactly).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I wonder how many 3D tv this will sell people on.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've just started playing Drake's Fortune (yeah yeah, lttp) and I'm enjoying it. So yay for more sequels. Still, I'm a little surprised to see another one so soon. People complain about Nintendo rehashing the same franchises and they've never churned out sequels at this pace. If Naughty Dog maintains the quality and turn around time, color me impressed.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Uncharted 2 was 2009.

2 years isn't that fast.

It's no COD or halo.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I've just started playing Drake's Fortune (yeah yeah, lttp) and I'm enjoying it. So yay for more sequels. Still, I'm a little surprised to see another one so soon. People complain about Nintendo rehashing the same franchises and they've never churned out sequels at this pace. If Naughty Dog maintains the quality and turn around time, color me impressed.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 2007
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 2009
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - 2011

I really don't see a problem with that. It's not like they're releasing a new game every year like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Uncharted 2 was 2009.

2 years isn't that fast.

It's no COD or halo, if you know what I'm saying.

2 Years is about the acceptable turnaround in the industry for a large-ish studio working on a AAA sequel. New IPs tend to take longer, but then, who does anything new anymore? ;-)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Platinum games!

And they don't do really well!

... :(

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Media blackout engage! Went into Uncharted 2 completely dark and it was incredible :) Going to play through the whole thing again when I get back from work, definitely. Might even give the multi a spin.

Hopefully I won't notice the dead-looking eyes so much this time.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 2007
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 2009
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - 2011

I really don't see a problem with that. It's not like they're releasing a new game every year like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed.

I never said there was a problem with it. I'm just used to 3-4 years between sequels. It's only a problem if the quality takes a dive.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    3-4 years between sequels? What is this, the 90s?

We've got nothing but nine month development cycles and yearly release schedules now.

Why, it's not a successful AAA franchise unless you've had six releases per platform in five years and you have redefined the term "consumer exhaustion".

Jeeze man, where have you been?

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    3-4 years between sequels? What is this, the 90s?

We've got nothing but nine month development cycles and yearly release schedules now.

Why, it's not a successful AAA franchise unless you've had six releases per platform in five years and you have redefined the term "consumer exhaustion".

Jeeze man, where have you been?

A cave, apparently. Until last year I've only ever owned Nintendo consoles. I've also never really jumped on the "popular" game bandwagon. I've never owned a Call of Duty, an annualized sports title, or a game that requires a plastic instrument. So yeah, 3-4 years between sequels was kind of what I was accustomed to.

RidleySaria on
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Naughty Dog strike me as one of the more motivated teams as well. Can cram a whole lot into those 2 years.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Lenore03 wrote: »
    Naughty Dog strike me as one of the more motivated teams as well. Can cram a whole lot into those 2 years.

Well they did release Crash 1, 2, 3 and Team Racing in 4 consecutive years, then Jak 1, 2, 3 and X all within 5 years. So Uncharted has seen them tone it down a bit and stick with a 2 year schedule, which gives them more room to polish them up (something that really hurt Insomniac when they were releasing a game each year).

But Ridley, you never owned or played a Mario Party game? Nintendo managed to get eight of them out in just eight and a half years (not even counting the GBA or DS ones).

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    But Ridley, you never owned or played a Mario Party game? Nintendo managed to get eight of them out in just eight and a half years (not even counting the GBA or DS ones).

I played the first one but didn't own it. Never gave the series much thought after that.... I'm not too fond of the minigame crap. Just as an example, Nintendo's big three: It was five years between Mario Sunshine and Galaxy, three years between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (It could be five between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword), three between Metroid Prime 2 and 3 (although only 2 between Prime 1 and 2).

When these were the games I looked forward to the most, you can understand why I didn't become accustomed to sequels every other year. Anyway, enough about this. I didn't intend to derail the topic.

RidleySaria on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The trailer that sets to play tonight has been confirmed to be over 2 minutes long. Looks like it just won't be a small teaser. Can't fucking wait.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited December 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Wonder what villain(s) will be in this title/what will be the supernatural hook. My guess will be something with an Arabic or Egyptian feel with maybe some connection to British colonial archeology.

Nathan will hunt for the dagger of time

Elena -- Elika is only two letters apart, too

Opium on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Opium wrote: »
    Wonder what villain(s) will be in this title/what will be the supernatural hook. My guess will be something with an Arabic or Egyptian feel with maybe some connection to British colonial archeology.

Nathan will hunt for the dagger of time

Elena -- Elika is only two letters apart, too

Dagger of Time = an excuse to go rescue:
    Harry Flynn from Lazaravic's betrayal in Shambhala at the end of Uncharted 2 so that he can maybe be redeemed as a hero or at the very least return as a recurring minor villain in insuing Uncharted games. He's hands down my favourite character next to Drake from the game.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited December 2010
    I also think Nate and the cellshaded prince have the same voice actor.

Opium on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Nolan North is basically in every game.

Sometimes more than once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Here's the VGA Trailer:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vga-10-uncharted-3/708329

Hopefully we can get a version without GT's bullshit watermarks all over it soon.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    that trailer was awesome

i will buy a PS3 just for this game

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Aww I was kinda hoping for some Uncharted theme music.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm buying 2 copies of this game. 1 to hold at night and 1 to play.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Here's hoping we get an E3 demonstration like the one we got last time next summer. Best 4 minute preview ever.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Nolan North is basically in every game.

Sometimes more than once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE

ITT: SmokeStacks makes a convincing argument for getting Mafia 2.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Here's the VGA Trailer:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vga-10-uncharted-3/708329

Hopefully we can get a version without GT's bullshit watermarks all over it soon.

The water mark is a small portion of the lower right corner, like any television channel water mark. It's not obscuring shit. Stop whining.

That trailer is beautiful.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'll be honest: I don't think I have ever enjoyed a desert setting in any videogame.

To me, deserts are the cheapest and laziest settings that developers can render: Just endless amounts of brown mixed in with haphazard wind effects.

Having loved Uncharted 2's wonderful color, I was disappointed to learn about this new setting.

But I also should not doubt Naughty Dog at all at this point, and that trailer was indeed hot (no pun intended). I just hope there are more settings besides the desert one.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'll be honest: I don't think I have ever enjoyed a desert setting in any videogame.

To me, deserts are the cheapest and laziest settings that developers can render: Just endless amounts of brown mixed in with haphazard wind effects.

Having loved Uncharted 2's wonderful color, I was disappointed to learn about this new setting.

But I also should not doubt Naughty Dog at all at this point, and that trailer was indeed hot (no pun intended). I just hope there are more settings besides the desert one.

I'm not too afraid. Only a portion of Uncharted 2 was in the Snowy area from the trailer.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    They've already hinted at the fact that there will be other locales beyond desert, such as an old French chateau, that will be visited, and that desert for them, the way they'll be doing it, will actually be difficult to render and create convincingly.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They showed little snippets of gameplay that appeared to have Drake chest-deep in water. Also, something was on fire. Also, jumping.

Reeeeally hoping for that PS3 for Christmas. If it only serves as an Uncharted saga delivery system, so be it.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Not to play the console card, but the PS3 has more than enough games and an affordable enough price that you have no reason NOT to own one at this point.

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Not to play the console card, but the PS3 has more than enough games and an affordable enough price that you have no reason NOT to own one at this point.

even if we have too much shit to buy after we play the shit we own?

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    The water mark is a small portion of the lower right corner, like any television channel water mark. It's not obscuring shit. Stop whining.

That trailer is beautiful.

Where was I whining? Christ, do you work for Gametrailers or something? Cause I fail to see why my dislike of crappy watermarks (not to mention their horrendous compression and absolute shit video player) should have such an effect on you.
    that trailer was awesome

i will buy a PS3 just for this game

Why buy it for just this game, you've got another 2 games to get through first. :P

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    The PS3 has a henious amount of incredible exclusives, as well as blu-ray. Uncharted series, MGS4, GT5, Twisted Metal next year, Killzone, Infamous, Demon's Souls, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, and there's probably more.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Final Fantasy Se-oh, nevermind. Nevermind.

Not yet.

• Options
    edited December 2010
    what got me to thinking i need one: Uncharted 3 now

Twisted Metal at E3

those 2 tipped me past just considering into definitely buying at some point

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, I know when I'll be taking at least a bit of my vacation time next year. I took a week off for Uncharted 2, and it was completely worth it. I may have to do the same (though probably only a few days this time rather than a whole week) for Uc3.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They've already hinted at the fact that there will be other locales beyond desert, such as an old French chateau, that will be visited, and that desert for them, the way they'll be doing it, will actually be difficult to render and create convincingly.

You can see bits of these other areas at the end of that trailer. You also get to see some really nice graphics.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    edit - so fucking slow...

-Loki- on
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Normally I don't get too excited for games before they're released, but I'll make an exception for uncharted. The first two games were so great, I'm curious on how they can improve on the second.

0blique on