As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    farbekrieg wrote:
    dear god PoP is kicking my ass, sure you level up like a madman but.... but... the first 2 tiers of mercs can be 1 hit, but past militia everyone has a biiiiillion hitpoints (more or less)

I want to say im doing something wrong.... am i doing something wrong? Im up to lvl 18. Without a dedicated surgeon (7+ skill) im losing 25-30% of my mans per battle (up from 1-2% from regular mb warband at the same point)

I did some training, then hit up tourneys to get 60 pts head body and legs and a decent tier 4 horse

Does it get any better as your weapon skill goes up, or do you have to find some crazy weapon drops (i have some silvered masterworks but they arent a significant help against lords/kings/other big baddies) so long as they are mounted double digits in damage is raaaare... seriously 3 2 7 4 2 5 2 11

Im really thinking of recreating as an int based surgeon to hover around the outskirts of the 50 man + battles... or cheating up some 10s for skills

Also, Keep in mind to use the damage that works well on well armored foes. I think it's morningstars but I can't remember offhand. It helps alot from what I remember.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I played a good bit of Floris this weekend. It's pretty good. I really like some of the menu additions, like seeing the troop trees. Not a fan of the graphical improvements, though. They look nice, but not amazing, and they slow down loading times. There's a 2 or 3 second delay every time you exit a town while it loads the world map textures, and it gets kind of annoying. Not a deal breaker, but I'd play without it given the choice. I like the sword animations, though.

Though it's possible a lot of this stuff was already present and I just never noticed.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    farbekrieg wrote:
    dear god PoP is kicking my ass, sure you level up like a madman but.... but... the first 2 tiers of mercs can be 1 hit, but past militia everyone has a biiiiillion hitpoints (more or less)

I want to say im doing something wrong.... am i doing something wrong? Im up to lvl 18. Without a dedicated surgeon (7+ skill) im losing 25-30% of my mans per battle (up from 1-2% from regular mb warband at the same point)

I did some training, then hit up tourneys to get 60 pts head body and legs and a decent tier 4 horse

Does it get any better as your weapon skill goes up, or do you have to find some crazy weapon drops (i have some silvered masterworks but they arent a significant help against lords/kings/other big baddies) so long as they are mounted double digits in damage is raaaare... seriously 3 2 7 4 2 5 2 11

Im really thinking of recreating as an int based surgeon to hover around the outskirts of the 50 man + battles... or cheating up some 10s for skills

My best advice - farm forest bandits around Marleon. The rogue knights that lead each group rarely drop Runed Bastard Swords and Composite Nolder Bows, the best sword and bow aside from the Qualis gem ones.

Also, these rarely spawn in town stores. Keep a lot of money on hand (20k~) on hand for when you spot one. Even if its a damaged version, which is actually a great deal, you only lose 1 damage on a ~50 damage weapon and get it for like half the price.

Oh, and definitely recruit 3 companions to make into skill monkeys. Maxing out int, a single companion can cover 3 skills without compromising combat ability too much. You really want 30 strength and ten Power Strike and Draw and decent ranks in supporting combat skills, so you shouldn't be maxing int yourself (I'd keep it at 15/18 for 5/6 Persuasion and extra skill points).

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Ugh, this game. I go from periods of being completely burnt out to being addicted again. Definitely in the latter now. Can't wait to get home to continue my conquest. Maybe I'll actually finish a game this time (yeah, right).

• Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Damnit. I've started getting the whole WB crashes when I try to go to a Tavern, or battle, or town, or whatever bug all the sudden, after putting 43+ hours into it with nary an issue.
    Also, I tried using the TweakWB thing on F&S, and now I can't enter Taverns at all. It puts me outside the map, like in the roof, and after a few seconds gives me the note from when you try to sneak into a town and succeed, then punts me out to the town menu again. Everything else works perfect that I adjusted, just the option that enables the tavern dudes to buy captives seems to have borked it.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Does anyone know how the AI goes about adding garrisons to its holdings? I've been cutting a bloody swath through the Sultanate's castles after tossing what feels like at least half their lords into my prisons. I haven't been requesting them as a reward since castles make crap for money and I'd rather they be available to make other lords happy, but this means that there are a lot of unguarded castles while we're at war with just about everybody. The constant chasing away of Sarranid lords with puny armies attempting to reclaim these castles would be suited for a yakity-sax sound track.

Related to holdings, are some kings just greedy asses? I've noticed King Harlaus awarding a lot of castles to himself despite being nowhere near any of the battles. This can't be helping the percent of disgruntled nobles.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    If you captured the castle and request it, you should be able to put garrisons in it until it is assigned to a lord. Just recruit a shitton of peasants from the villages and throw them in there as fodder. This is Native though, a lot of mods change the way this works (Blood and Steel, for instance, just drops a pretty decent garrison into a castle after a few days).

And if you can't do that and have to wait for the king to assign a fief before a garrison presents itself, just slow your conquest a bit so you're not just taking fiefs and leaving them undefended and, by extension, yourself spread too thin. Hell, you can use it as bait to capture the rest of the enemy lords.

• Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    Pretty sure you can garrison them even without requesting them but you run the risk of losing those troops if the castle gets given to someone who isn't you.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    That's why you load it with level 1 recruits. If you can put enough of them in there, it gives the enemy pause and if you do end up in a siege, they're great for clogging ladders while your higher tier archers whittle down the enemy and your higher ranked warriors get ready to mop up what's left.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    good old mount and blade sieges, clog the only entrance with cannon fodder so your awesome ranged units can rain hell into the meatwall

edit: so i've started up my PoP campaign again, in towns do they automatically repair damage over time? Or is there something i need to do to tell them to fix up the damn broken shit?

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Oh that's awesome. Found this on the M&B forums.

Don't like your wife wearing that stupid hat? Want her to wear some armor? Or just be naked? Do this:

Open conversation.txt
    Find the following lines (some of the numbers may be different):
    dlga_spouse_talk:spouse_household_possessions 69631 468 0 Let_us_take_inventory_of_our_household_possessions 723 1 2041 1 360287970189640508 NO_VOICEOVER
    dlga_spouse_household_possessions:spouse_pretalk 4095 723 0 Anyway,_that_is_the_content_of_our_larder. 724 0 NO_VOICEOVER

In between them, add:
    dlga_spouse_talk:spouse_inventory_wife xxxxx xxx x Let_me_see_your_equipment 0 1 2051 0 NO_VOICEOVER
    where the x's match the numbers of the line above it.

Your wife will now have a conversation topic to open her inventory.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    good old mount and blade sieges, clog the only entrance with cannon fodder so your awesome ranged units can rain hell into the meatwall

edit: so i've started up my PoP campaign again, in towns do they automatically repair damage over time? Or is there something i need to do to tell them to fix up the damn broken shit?

If you have built the craftsmen upgrades, they'll fix the other upgrades automatically. But if you haven't, you have to manually tell them to repair.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Oh man, reading this dev diary for the upcoming version of Floris is giving me a boner.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,165656.0.html

Now if it would just come out.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    heh, so apparently i've been playing a very very early build of PoP, and never knew, updating now and restarting wooooo

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    heh, so apparently i've been playing a very very early build of PoP, and never knew, updating now and restarting wooooo

That's one thing I've noticed about mods, they're pretty universally terrible about downloads. Why is it so hard to have a single thread for downloads, that is updated with new releases and patches?

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    what are some of the cooler pop achievements?

so far the best one is a free pt of engineering for upgrading 30 things (master builder) in cities/castles/towns

i also got death bringer (kill 50 in a battle)
    rogue queen - declare yourself queen

current reknown is 3590 and 190 honor 3278 kills 1353 wounded.... (374 days in)

my google fu is weak took me a second to get the list
    1. Kill 50+ enemies in one battle +20 Renown
    2. Kill or wound 5000 enemies +1 Trainer
    3. Kill or wound 10000 enemies +2 Trainer
    4. Won 250 battles +1 Tactics
    5. Won 500 battles +2 Tactics
    6. Defeat 7 invading armies +1 Intelligence
    7. Defeat 15 invading armies +2 Intelligence
    8. Defeat a Mystmountain army +1 Agility
    9. Defeat a Snake Cult army +1 Ironflesh
    10. Defeat a Jatu army +1 Riding
    11. Defeat a Heretic army +1 Strength
    12. Won 25 tournaments +100 Renown
    13. Won 50 tournaments +1 Weapon Master
    14. Gain 5000 renown +1 Charisma
    15. Gain 7500 renown +2 Charisma
    16. Gain 500 honor +1 Charisma
    17. Become a rogue king +1 Leadership
    18. Persuade 30 lords to join you +1 Persuasion
    19. Complete 30 improvements +1 Engineering
    20. Complete 30 quests +20 Renown

so another 5 or so battles and i get the +1 trainer and probably the +1 charisma

this is such a great idea that should be in vanilla...

how do you get 500 honor? im honorable as shit and not even close

• Options
    seiging castles is so not fun and pretty much 3/4 of the game

• Options
    No way, siegeing is awesome. For PoP especially, if you want to cheese it, put all your archers at the top of your stack and load up on arrows. Have your troops hold and shoot until you're out of ammo, then retreat. Keep doing this until their numbers are way down, then do a normal assault.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    farbekrieg wrote:
    im up to day 600 of my current campaign and seiging castles is so not fun and pretty much 3/4 of the game for me now as i control 3/4s of the map

hmm well that is inaccurate let me rephrase that...

basically 4 towns and their surrounding castles remain, 1 or 2 minor armies with no heros

im dragging around 100 falcon knights and 200 pendor grey archers (with battle size set to 500) and im ordering an attack on a town or castle (700 for castles about) and 1600 for towns and then doing as you say, firing arrows and going to do chores for 5 minutes then ordering companions, cavalry and archers to charge then it takes 15-20 minutes for them to clean out.

so basically yes it is becoming a chore, and i know they want epicness of taking a town but it is not as much fun nearly as battle in the open field, or even tournaments....

however conquering the empire is making me a very THIS IS SPARTA vibe... sadly no towns called sparta

stupid stuff done in my first pop playthrough

creating a silver archers order in a town, then giving the town to one of my vassals later, and then wondering, hey where did my silver mists go....

opening up al-aziz mines without knowing how the vendor there works and never actually getting any weapons from them

thinking i could mix and match companions... when people dont get along, they really dont get along

unique items, ive heard about them but i didnt really run across any... or maybe im not familiar enough with the objects

getting sidetracked hunting noldor for gear before realizing one of my winning conditions is positive faction with the noldors.... (i sold them into slavery rather than free them)

im curious one of my winning conditions is no heros on map, does the massive 3k noldor army lead by some really long elven sounding name count for that? im thinking even with 10 lords following me as marshall with armies of 600 if 6600 regular elite troops could take 3k noldor....

edit html failure

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    So I tried out native expansion. I left the city, was immediately chased down by a group of 13 mounted crossbowman deserters and they immediately took all my stuff. I try again. Immediately caught by a mercenary group.

How exactly are you supposed to even start playing this mod?

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    ZombieSheepZombieSheep Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote:
    So I tried out native expansion. I left the city, was immediately chased down by a group of 13 mounted crossbowman deserters and they immediately took all my stuff. I try again. Immediately caught by a mercenary group.

How exactly are you supposed to even start playing this mod?

I'm not at all good at this game, but the only way I have done it was wait till one of the lords/patrols to fight them (you might have to wait a good while sadly) and jump in to help to leech exp. After you got semi decent upgraded the troops, look for mountain bandits and fight those instead. park your troops on a hill and use yourself to distract them while your archers murder their forces. Avoid the merc warbands, they are all mid tier units and will murder the shit out of your starting army.

• Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    alternately just inherit your character from a previous mod into the game with a character converter, what with the start of the game being so very very shitty

• Options
    Yeah, I pretty much import my character every time now. It makes the crappy early game go by quicker, but you won't be super overpowered for the late game.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Still going my Vanilla Empress run (without getting married) and man. Last night I declared war on a faction that wasn't at war with anybody else and was also decently sized (the Swadians) because they were between the lands I had taken (chiefly the Rhodoks and Vaegirs, since they declared war on me immediately after starting my faction).

I took 3 huge towns and at least 5 or 6 castles and then realized it was 2 in the AM. Jeez.

I don't have very many vassals, but it seems impossible to keep people happy. I'm constantly turning Lords down and taking a hit with their relations just to keep my vassals low. Still, every time I bestow a new fief everybody gets fucking pissed except the person I gave it to. I can't hold feasts because I want to be the sole ruler of Calradia. What the hell can I do to make people happy, short of pulling their buns out of the oven when they get into fights they can't win?

• Options
    You could use TweakMB to make it so your other vassals don't get mad when you give out fiefs.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    You could use TweakMB to make it so your other vassals don't get mad when you give out fiefs.

Just pretend that this is Lim'd.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Part of me wants to say I beat the game without modding it but it's pretty super unrealistic how pissed off they get, even though they just got a fief themselves. I wish there was a mod that kept vassals from getting mad about not getting fiefs for a period of time after getting a fief, and nullifying relations hits when they get a fief immediately after they get pissed. It makes sense for vassals to get mad if you're obviously holding out on them, but it's a ridiculous balancing game giving all the properties to people who are mad at you.

• Options
    It's still modding, but you can also use TweakMB to tone down the relationship hit. It's a range. I think you can also tweak it to make them gain more relationship when given a fief.

I agree that the hit is ridiculous, and I have no problem "fixing" it.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

This, morale decay, arena betting / arena win amounts, and enemy lord escape rates are things I don't even really consider to be modding anymore. :D They're bugfixes.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    High roller tournies with 100k dinar max bets is how I roll.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote:

This, morale decay, arena betting / arena win amounts, and enemy lord escape rates are things I don't even really consider to be modding anymore. :D They're bugfixes.

Yep, pretty much.

TweakMB is awesome.

• Options
    anyone familiar with victory conditions on pendor? I have the snake cult at fading as well as the mountain man, everything else is obliterated

i turned on cheats and every day or so a small 30-40 man group of these two will pop up but no matter if i kill them or not it does not change their status, is it just a number i have to hit? or do i have to go through and purge my garrisons of snake cultists and and bear berserkers and such?

i really want to start up a new game with 3.41 instead of 3.4 but the completion thing is getting to me

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Ugh, this game. I go from periods of being completely burnt out to being addicted again. Definitely in the latter now. Can't wait to get home to continue my conquest. Maybe I'll actually finish a game this time (yeah, right).

Hah, this is me as well. I have owned this game since last Thanksgiving (gifted by an awesome PAer) and have put over 350 hours into it. My latest excursion was to install the Blood and Steel mod, which looked pretty sweet... it is a lot of fun to be sure, but it seems that cannons pretty much break the game. Any game I start, as soon as I get cannoneers, I am able to siege and capture enemy towns despite them having many times my number, as the explosion damage just wrecks enemies crowded together up on the walls. I started with the Sarinids and basically rampaged right over the top of them, without them ever being able to put up a fight. Since towns and castles garrison themselves after a short time, I don't even have to stop long to make sure my stuff doesn't get recaptured.

So is Floris the current flavor of the month? I might look into that once my current excursion into Champions Online dies out. :)

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, I get burnt out as well. My latest play-through saw me being the most successful I had ever been. When I became Marshall I was excited, I would finally perform a proper steam roll on the opposition. To my dismay, I found that when I am Marshall no one adds troops to garrisons for captured castles/towns they help take.

Which is utter horse shit. It killed my most recent play-though. I don't have the stamina to pick it up again.

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    Floris is good, but I'd probably wait on version 2.5, which should be out maybe kinda soonish.

• Options
    Because I am apparently the most gigantic idiot ever, I decided it would be a great idea to try to play native expanded with only female troops. Which you can only get by hiring in a tavern or rescuing villagers from bandits.

I am

So dumb.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    SLyM wrote:
    Because I am apparently the most gigantic idiot ever, I decided it would be a great idea to try to play native expanded with only female troops. Which you can only get by hiring in a tavern or rescuing villagers from bandits.

I am

So dumb.

Haha there is one other way you can add to your female army, if you are playing a less than perfectly honorable sort...

Attack enemy peasant groups and tell your troops to only use blunt weapons. Take the female peasants captive and, with a high persuasion skill, convince captives to join you.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Ah yes, the "caveman with a club" woman-recruiting method

A classic

• Options
    Ah yes, the "caveman with a club" woman-recruiting method

A classic

This is a quality post.

• Options
    Say what you will about cavemen, they knew how to get chicks.

Speaking of which, I didn't know you could recruit them from a tavern? Unless you simply mean the NPC companions.

One thing I like about Blood and Steel was that there were actually female troops in the game which could be recruited through non-caveman means. What I didn't like is that they tend to be outfitted in neon colors.