As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Am I crazy or do I get way more troop experience when I send troops than when I lead the fight myself?

I see higher casualties but more level ups. It seems like the simulation more evenly spreads the engagement so the elite/hero units don't hog all the action and the lower end troops are more likely to make contact.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    So it seems like only the designated Surgeon's medical skill may be applied to a party? That could get a bit rough. A huge part of how I got through PoP was stacking surgery on both the companion npc medic and the player character to not loose high level units left and right.

Does it actually apply? I've got someone in my party with a Medicine skill of 60 and I'm not noticing any difference.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    It's a little weird that Smithing XP only recovers when you're actually using the wait option. Riding around for 3 months? Nope still 10/100

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    So many little things I didn't know.

Apparently while on a horse, you can double tap W to start at full gallop, and you can double tap S to slow down quickly.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    So it seems like only the designated Surgeon's medical skill may be applied to a party? That could get a bit rough. A huge part of how I got through PoP was stacking surgery on both the companion npc medic and the player character to not loose high level units left and right.

Does it actually apply? I've got someone in my party with a Medicine skill of 60 and I'm not noticing any difference.

In the grand scheme of things, a skill of 60 is pretty low. You can see the effect of it by clicking the information icon for the skill on your surgeon's character screen.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I started my Kingdom today. The hardest part was finding a castle to take over that was poorly defended, and separated from the rest of that kingdom enough that I wouldn't get hit with retaliation right away. When retaliation did come, it was a huge army, but I gave them 6k for peace and now we're all good?

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Ok I have figured out siege weapons. When you first set up siege camp there are little squares around your camp. Click those. It will let you build your engines there

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I started my Kingdom today. The hardest part was finding a castle to take over that was poorly defended, and separated from the rest of that kingdom enough that I wouldn't get hit with retaliation right away. When retaliation did come, it was a huge army, but I gave them 6k for peace and now we're all good?

Oh wait, you actually can start your own kingdom? I thought that wasn't implemented yet.

BRB, sending in the clowns.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    Ok I have figured out siege weapons. When you first set up siege camp there are little squares around your camp. Click those. It will let you build your engines there

Ah, that's why there were only X's, they weren't built. I guess the default building time is for the ladders.

• Options
    Yeah that seems legit.

Is there a lot of black mold in the dungeon or does the radon mostly keep it under control?

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    It's a little weird that Smithing XP only recovers when you're actually using the wait option. Riding around for 3 months? Nope still 10/100

I think it would have been better if they just made smithing take time.
    Having things like recruit, trade, etc, happen in frozen time is fine, because the actual opportunity cost (and actual cost) is already baked in, but with smithing, if you want to limit it (and i can see why they would, it is a good money maker), it would have been better to make a more sensible option than just have player fiddle their thimbs waiting, then do like a half a dozen to a dozen smelting/refining actions, and then back to fiddling your thumbs.

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I restarted yesterday because I felt like it was a little too cheesy to ride around looters peppering enemies with arrows.

So now I'm Northern Empire and I have a band of 35 imperial soldiers. 15 of them are tier 5 and I'm slowly going broke. I can't earn enough money to pay them. I think I have to fire some of them, so I can earn enough by killing looters and bandits again.

Fiskebent on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Tournaments are the light.

Except those weird eastern kingdoms tournaments where they stick you with a spear. Those take much longer and seem to require a clockwise approach instead of counterclockwise. Bonus tip: You can pick up javelins or other melee weapons off the arena floor. So going full Roberto with your spear and then swapping out for a sword and shield is an option.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »

Having things like recruit, trade, etc, happen in frozen time is fine, because the actual opportunity cost (and actual cost) is already baked in, but with smithing, if you want to limit it (and i can see why they would, it is a good money maker), it would have been better to make a more sensible option than just have player fiddle their thimbs waiting, then do like a half a dozen to a dozen smelting/refining actions, and then back to fiddling your thumbs.

Honestly, presuming they want it to be static, just have smithing recover by earning XP elsewhere because it seems the goal of the stamina is just to stop you turbo econing in one town for three weeks.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Honestly, presuming they want it to be static, just have smithing recover by earning XP elsewhere because it seems the goal of the stamina is just to stop you turbo econing in one town for three weeks.
    Considering how poor xp gains can be, i don't think that would work, or atleast would be any better necessarily.
    Making smithing itself take time, possible allowing you to assign your companions to do other stuff, raise morale by giving troops a paid holiday, etc, would make the whole thing lot more immersive, while still doing the exact same thing that forced wait does.
    Or just make it recover over time, no matter what you are doing, but slower when on the move.
    It's not like the current method is even that effective at curbing someone from power levelling smithing, i'm at 66 smithing at day 150, and i have not been that focused on it, just taking couple days every now and then to smelt and refine stuff (also have 2 companions with 25+ smithing and 3 others nearing 25).

edit-
    I fucking despise the bandit hideouts.
    They are like every bad thing about this game in a single inconvenient package.
    Not only am i forced to go with only 8 soldiers, i can't even pick who i bring, meaning i have half archers half melee with javelins, then the archers won't use their bows, probably left them with their horses, but the melee infantry utterly refuses to use shields to cover from arrows, and then turn their backs to most of the enemy archers so everyone can surround one enemy, half of them dying in the process.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Oh wait, you actually can start your own kingdom? I thought that wasn't implemented yet.

BRB, sending in the clowns.

Yup, I decided to do that instead of joining someone else's. So far it's a lot of fun, I have no enemies yet, but no allies either. I own Ov Castle, and two communities nearby. Right now I'm just going around and recruiting, doing some minor training and stocking my garrison.

One thing I learned is that if your castle's loyalty drops below 50, you can no longer build projects. In this case my governor's culture was different from that of the settlement's, so a change got me back over 50 and now we're toiling away.

• Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    edit-
    Not only am i forced to go with only 8 soldiers, i can't even pick who i bring, meaning i have half archers half melee with javelins, then the archers won't use their bows, probably left them with their horses, but the melee infantry utterly refuses to use shields to cover from arrows, and then turn their backs to most of the enemy archers so everyone can surround one enemy, half of them dying in the process.

Hideouts raids have a few non-obvious things that make them a lot easier, which are: if you kill bandits around the hideout the bandits will leave and the numbers in the hideout will reduce (to the point were you can go straight to the duel) and by default archers are set to hold fire, so you should tell them to fire at will with F4 whenever you are in range.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I wish your could set your default line formation. There are so many awkward button presses required if you want to form up in any sort of way ("F1, 2, F1, F2, F1, 3, F3... and we're already fighting, never mind. Everyone F3."). It doesn't matter for fighting 20-30 looters, but I see the pitched battles just being a mass of writhing flesh.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @President Rex

If you raise your ... tactics? ... skill high enough You can get a perk that allows you to plan out your placement before battle.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    eEK! wrote: »
    edit-

Hideouts raids have a few non-obvious things that make them a lot easier, which are: if you kill bandits around the hideout the bandits will leave and the numbers in the hideout will reduce (to the point were you can go straight to the duel) and by default archers are set to hold fire, so you should tell them to fire at will with F4 whenever you are in range.

Another thing to note is that the people you'll take with you into the raid are based on their order/position in your party list. So if you want to bring that rank 4 guy with a shield instead of a fresh recruit, drag him to the top under your companions.

Edit: I should mention this doesn't always perfectly work. It's a big unreliable.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    I wish your could set your default line formation. There are so many awkward button presses required if you want to form up in any sort of way ("F1, 2, F1, F2, F1, 3, F3... and we're already fighting, never mind. Everyone F3."). It doesn't matter for fighting 20-30 looters, but I see the pitched battles just being a mass of writhing flesh.

There's a perk somewhere on the leadership (or maybe tactics) chain that supposedly lets you set up default formations ahead of time. They should bring that much further down the chain than it currently is or make this a default feature. On warband single player my standard tactic was to throw out a line of infantry, archer behind, and have them hold in place while I told the cavalry to follow me, rode behind a hill or something and hit them in the flank once the lines engaged. But just setting that up here takes a million button presses, like you're saying, then they're on you, and you just say "fuck it, charge and I'll handle this personally." Which really cuts down the tactics element.

Would be great to just say "I always want the infantry in a shield wall, with archers behind and all my cav in a group on the left." And maybe give folks with higher leadership/tactics the ability to deploy first on the battle field? "Yes, I'll be on the top of that hill, thanks." So much potential here, but it was probably released a little early.

• Options
    That you can't set a default formation is in itself pretty stupid.
    Fine, make it take time for the soldiers to get into formation, fine, but i should not need to hand place people before every encounter until i hit tactics 75 (or was it 100? i think 75).
    eEK! wrote: »
    by default archers are set to hold fire, so you should tell them to fire at will with F4 whenever you are in range.
    This is one of those things that really should be in tutorial.
    Any idea what button to press to make people use their shields?

• Options
    Massena wrote: »
    On warband single player my standard tactic was to throw out a line of infantry, archer behind, and have them hold in place while I told the cavalry to follow me, rode behind a hill or something and hit them in the flank once the lines engaged. But just setting that up here takes a million button presses

This should should be pretty fluid; you don't need to 1-F1-F1 to hold position, just select the group and point/click where you want them. 1-click, 2-click, 3-F1-F2 == Infantry there, archers there, cavalry on me!

You can also adjust the formation by dragging while the button is down, but it's weird because then it changes your formation origin from the line center to an endpoint.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Can you rename companions in this?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
      I think I'm going to put Bannerlord down for a while until it gets some more time in the oven.

I'm not entirely sure what TaleWorlds' design goals are for this game, because they seem to be at odds with each other. The ultra-high prices for equipment, the low monetary gain for everything that isn't an outright exploit, the excruciatingly slow skill gain (especially for companions), the Smithing stamina system, and the constant stops to stock up on food supplies to keep your morale high all point toward an intent to keep campaigns really long.

However, if you actually engage in the game this way, by the time you start hitting the point where you want to begin doing your own kingdom management, the map is almost entirely conquered by a single faction. I'm currently around 110 days into a campaign, the Khuzaits and Southern Empire have conquered most of the map, and I've been doing laps around Calradia for 60 of those days trying to find all of the 10 lords I need to finish the first quest and really start doing kingdom stuff, only to discover that a couple of those lords have had their factions wiped out and are gone from the game.

ZvOMJnu.png
      - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    • Options
      It's an early access title, which generally translates to "buggy mess that probably will never get finished".
      That said, it is not the worst early access title i have bought, by any means, though while i knew i was buying an unfinished product, it is unfinished in ways that are rather surprising at times.

Like only 2 crossbows existing, only one can be bought, and it is one of, if not the most expensive things in any given shop.

• Options
      edited April 2020
      Apparently the patch that just went live helps address some of the faction snowballing and the issue of lords picking strange targets quite literally on the other side of the map to assault instead of attacking stuff close to home or defending what they've got. That's cool, but doesn't fix my now-pointless campaign that I've wasted 20 hours in.

It's an early access title, which generally translates to "buggy mess that probably will never get finished".
      That said, it is not the worst early access title i have bought, by any means, though while i knew i was buying an unfinished product, it is unfinished in ways that are rather surprising at times.

Like only 2 crossbows existing, only one can be bought, and it is one of, if not the most expensive things in any given shop.

I have had experience with TaleWorlds' brand of Early Access (I paid like $10 for the original Mount & Blade's early access back in 2005, when the game was nothing but a menu-only Salt Mine where you could only recruit nobody villagers to fight River Pirates), so I kind of knew what I was getting in to with this.

I didn't quite expect the game to be in this state after so many years of internal development though.

korodullin on
      ZvOMJnu.png
    • Options
      edited April 2020
      Elvenshae wrote: »
      @President Rex

If you raise your ... tactics? ... skill high enough You can get a perk that allows you to plan out your placement before battle.

Which I don't believe is currently working. :rotate:

Edit: And to add my agreement, I'm not mad or regretting my purchase, but I am a little surprised at just how rough a state the game is currently in. I think it's stuff that can be fixed relatively easily, though. I'm thinking they spent the beta period getting the combat dialed in and now plan to work on the single player only features.

Sir Carcass on
    • Options
      Also Forest Bandits are stone-cold killers. I took a mixed melee/archer force of about 50 Vlandians against half a dozen Forest Bandits and lost TWENTY people. I was at the point where I was straight-up recruiting Forest Bandits I captured.

ZvOMJnu.png
    • Options
      @President Rex

Everybody surprised, please raise your hands.
      Anyone?

• Options
      SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
      Honestly ever since I discovered that I can let the AI sergeants take control of my troops I hardly ever worry about positioning in battle any more since it does a good enough job on it's own. Archers will stay behind melee if the enemy gets too close, melee will fan out and attempt to isolate and surround other units out of position, etc.

If you want the AI to take control and cede command to your Sergeants, just select any single soldier group and hit F6.

• Options
      @President Rex

Edit: And to add my agreement, I'm not mad or regretting my purchase, but I am a little surprised at just how rough a state the game is currently in. I think it's stuff that can be fixed relatively easily, though. I'm thinking they spent the beta period getting the combat dialed in and now plan to work on the single player only features.

I definitely don't regret my purchase either, and I'm completely confident that TaleWorlds will eventually get Bannerlord to the state it needs to be in. Some of the QOL and presentation improvements are worth the price of admission alone, though I am a little iffy on a few of the core combat changes.

I wonder if the heavy focus on multiplayer testing came at the detriment of the campaign.

ZvOMJnu.png
    • Options
      korodullin wrote: »
      Also Forest Bandits are stone-cold killers. I took a mixed melee/archer force of about 50 Vlandians against half a dozen Forest Bandits and lost TWENTY people. I was at the point where I was straight-up recruiting Forest Bandits I captured.

There's a huge difference between bandits with low accuracy throwing weapons and bandits with very high accuracy archery. Forest bandits are really good at shooting my horse even if I'm going at a good speed. And unlike steppe bandits where only some have bows, all the forest bandits will have bows.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    • Options
      AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
      edited April 2020
      If you are looking for Lords (or any specific person really) a good piece of advice, hit N and search for em. The game will tell you where they are.

edit- Other bits of advice,

Do missions for people! They pay, often well. Killing poachers? Easy 3k at least for all of 2 mins of work. You'll be swimming in denars. This also increases your rep with people allowing you to recruit higher tiered soldiers straight away.

Get some pack animals. They're pretty cheap and allow you to carry way more shit.

Sign on with a Lord. At least as a Merc for a time. Its a good way to build renown and loot fancy gear.

The V and B keys allow you customize your character or banner respectively whenever you want.

Axen on
      A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    • Options
      Axen wrote: »
      If you are looking for Lords (or any specific person really) a good piece of advice, hit N and search for em. The game will tell you where they are.

Yeah, I use that extensively. The problem isn't in finding where they are, it's getting to them before they move away or get captured. The Encyclopedia takes a few days to update their location and lords tend to roam a very long way away from their home turf for [reasons].

ZvOMJnu.png
    • Options
      AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
      korodullin wrote: »
      Axen wrote: »

Yeah, I use that extensively. The problem isn't in finding where they are, it's getting to them before they move away or get captured. The Encyclopedia takes a few days to update their location and lords tend to roam a very long way away from their home turf for [reasons].

It updates every time you visit a city. If it says they are in X village or X castle, just visit the nearby city. Check the encyclopedia and move on.

Trust me, you can very quickly find all the Lords this way.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    • Options
      edited April 2020
      I'm not even sure which lords i am meant to visit, faction leaders?
      I'd do more quests, but i hardly even find any except ones that ask me to smuggle stuff or fence goods, neither are things i want to do as they seem to automaticly give me criminal rating.
      If there is a way to do them without getting caught, i don't know what it is.
      And lot of quests seem to be bugged to a point where they can break your save, though most of that may have been fixed.

Did a quest Bad Company or somesuch, where i had to go find some new employers for mercenaries (who kept stealing from package train constantly), kinda feel bad for the noble i managed to hand them to, and wishing i could have just, i dunno, taken them into the desert and then executed the lot.

6/10 on the nobles talked to, almost at aday 200, level 13, smithing 70, riding and melee 60+, and i finally bought the crossbow and maxed smithing focus.
      I have gotten scouting to 20 and charm to 9 (raising those two is stupid hard, especially charm).
      Currently moving from infantry legionaries to cataphracts, only problem i have is that finding the special troops that can be turned to cataphracts are stupid rare.

Wondering if i should have companions form their own parties, what do new parties do for me anyway? I don't have a fief, or a kingdom, does having multiple parties have any benefit when you have no terrotiry to defend from bandits and/or armies?

edit-
      Has some further updates to avoid snowballing conquest.
      Defections from loosing faction to winning one less likely, rulers more selective in attacking distant settlements, sieging makes people in faction you are sieging dislike you, etc...

Nyysjan on
    • Options
      GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
      I didn't actively look for any of the lords. Just from stumbling over them during my normal activities I have found all of them by day ~300.
      As you need to be clan Tier 3 to get the most of that quest anyway trying to rush it isn't worth it.

causality.png
    • Options
      I'd do more quests, but i hardly even find any except ones that ask me to smuggle stuff or fence goods, neither are things i want to do as they seem to automaticly give me criminal rating.
      And lot of quests seem to be bugged to a point where they can break your save, though most of that may have been fixed.

Did a quest Bad Company or somesuch, where i had to go find some new employers for mercenaries (who kept stealing from package train constantly), kinda feel bad for the noble i managed to hand them to, and wishing i could have just, i dunno, taken them into the desert and then executed the lot.

6/10 on the nobles talked to, almost at aday 200, level 13, smithing 70, riding and melee 60+, and i finally bought the crossbow and maxed smithing focus.
      I have gotten scouting to 20 and charm to 9 (raising those two is stupid hard, especially charm).
      Currently moving from infantry legionaries to cataphracts, only problem i have is that finding the special troops that can be turned to cataphracts are stupid rare.

Wondering if i should have companions form their own parties, what do new parties do for me anyway? I don't have a fief, or a kingdom, does having multiple parties have any benefit when you have no terrotiry to defend from bandits and/or armies?

I think parties are basically lords armies but of your clan. From what I've seen, they roam around recruiting new troops and attacking bandits. It's a decent way to have more troops training up at a time and have your companion raise things like tactics and stewardship, but outside of that I don't know of a really good reason to have them without lands to patrol. I don't think you can have them follow you to have a larger force since you can't create armies without having a kingdom. I didn't see a way to give them any kind of direction or goal.

• Options

edit-
      Has some further updates to avoid snowballing conquest.
      Defections from loosing faction to winning one less likely, rulers more selective in attacking distant settlements, sieging makes people in faction you are sieging dislike you, etc...

My gut instinct is that the Roguery skill will give you a chance to avoid being caught during criminal quests. Or at least it should.

Steam Profile