As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• SrazekSrazek Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Archonex wrote: »
    So I checked out that mod posted above.

Turns out AD has 24 factions in it. And it models both Europe and a good portion of the middle east. Also, it does away with the top tier troop crap that tends to ruin the challenge of the MnB end-game.

Holy shit. Might actually need to try this.

I liked it, except I kept getting crashes and lockups(earliest it happened was attacking the robbers during the tutorial quest) so I moved on.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,131274.0.html

This is for you. Did this, and I haven't crashed once. Before, I would crash or lockup about every 5 battles. Now it works wonderfully.

Edit: Yes you're editing your boot.ini so back it up okay, the fix involves forcing your computer to allocate more ram+vram to a process. 32 bit only ever allocates 2gb to any one process, this mod, because it is so intensive, uses more - hence the crashing.

Srazek on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know why I can't seem to do good in this game.

I always get captured of get stuck on the wrong end of a siege. I hate hate hate hate the fact that as soon as you get knocked out the game forces you to lose the fucking battle.

I mean really theres 30 of you and only 4 of them left how the hell did I still get captured, I didn't realize that all my units are so shitty and I can never keep them long enough to train them.

One of the options in TweakMB is to allow battles to continue after you are knocked out. This feature is incorporated into a number of other mods, but if you want to put it in by itself and still play your saved game use TweakMB. It's really easy, the GUI they put on it is great.

bamjo on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Good lord. The size of the base mod for the AD mod is almost 430MB.

And that's just the required files. The music files for the game are another 400 MB.

Also, that memory fix is pretty much required to play PoP if you want to halve the number of crashes you're experiencing. It's incredibly inefficient. The more I look at other mods, and what they're doing (28 factions on one continent sized map, for instance.), the more I realize that.

Archonex on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, so much for that cRPG thing. The person running it just shut it down after being DDoS'd and not wanting to deal with it.

Wow, that's kind of disappointing. I'd really like for him to just release the code so that people could set up their own servers with their own databases and gain rates.

Actually, it looks like he's bringing the servers back up and moving his site to a new webhost.
    Waldo wrote: »
    Also, if I want to import my character to play in diplomacy, how would I do that?

Hit C to go to your character screen, click Statistics in the lower left corner, then click Export Character. That will create a txt file in your M&B install folder, somewhere in its own folder. I don't remember the name, something like CharacterExport. The file itself will be the character name. Just edit that with notepad, then go back to that screen in game and click Import Character, then bam.

Sir Carcass on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Added AD1257 to the OP.

SkutSkut on
  • UnreadableHulkUnreadableHulk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I often play archers and crossbowmen in multiplayer and I was wondering if anyone has some general advice or tips on lining up shots. I can gauge height and distance fairly well to make difficult shots but I'm having a hard time tracking moving targets.

Also, as far as I can tell there's no way to find friends within the game. No search for usernames and options to join the same server. It looks like the only way to get on a server with a friend would be to message over Steam chat and then just agree to get on the same server. Is this right?

UnreadableHulk on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also, as far as I can tell there's no way to find friends within the game. No search for usernames and options to join the same server. It looks like the only way to get on a server with a friend would be to message over Steam chat and then just agree to get on the same server. Is this right?

Yes.

As far as tracking targets, it's just something that will come with practice.

Sir Carcass on
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i did it. i think i made a huge mistake. The 3rd city that king ragnar refused me i kept for myself. because seriously, FUCK you RAGNAR. we're best buds and you wont let me keep anything? whats right about that? now i am leading a rebellion against the king. HOW do i win the darn thing?

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    To win a rebellion you have to eliminate a faction, I hope you made pals with all his vassal!

SkutSkut on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was wondering how the hell the Fierdsvain managed to enlarge themselves to 6 cities (starting 3 + 1 from each of Ravenstern, D'Shar, and Sarleon) and not lose a single keep over the course of my game so far.

stupidvikings.jpg

Yea, fuck that everyone else is doomed. It's a shame too as there's a few of their newly acquired keeps hanging around 100-120 defenders that would be simple enough for me to take, except I don't want to face the wrath of the neverending flow of vikings. Though, I'm probably going to have to fight them eventually in order to prevent them from conquering the world.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I often play archers and crossbowmen in multiplayer and I was wondering if anyone has some general advice or tips on lining up shots. I can gauge height and distance fairly well to make difficult shots but I'm having a hard time tracking moving targets.

Move to the side after you shoot to better watch the projectile. You can get a better idea if you are leading too much or too little, (or coming up too far or short).

As a general principal don't shoot at melee fights with your allies backs facing you. Its the fastest way on servers with team damage enabled to make people hate you. Dont shoot at melee fights at all until you're confident in your accuracy and spent a significant amount of time as an infantry player yourself so you can get a good understanding on the tempo and rythem of a fight.

Personally i find native archers x-bows overpowered in the right hands. But in the hands of a newbie they are extremely underpowered and can end up costing your team more than its helping.

The combat depth in this game is amazing though. Its really worthwhile to spend the time to learn all the nuances of melee combat. From basic things like blocking, retaliating, to more advanced things like fienting/chamber holding/footwork (exploiting a weapon range advantage/closing range with a shorter weapon), to extremely advanced things like positional strikes/aimed headshots/chamberblocking

Draygo on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    I was wondering how the hell the Fierdsvain managed to enlarge themselves to 6 cities (starting 3 + 1 from each of Ravenstern, D'Shar, and Sarleon) and not lose a single keep over the course of my game so far.

stupidvikings.jpg

Yea, fuck that everyone else is doomed. It's a shame too as there's a few of their newly acquired keeps hanging around 100-120 defenders that would be simple enough for me to take, except I don't want to face the wrath of the neverending flow of vikings. Though, I'm probably going to have to fight them eventually in order to prevent them from conquering the world.

When they came for the D'Shar, I said nothing.

fadingathedges on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For some reason my guys seem to absolutely wreck enemies while not dying very often. We, uh, killed about 6000 Vaegir troops while defending a city in Blood and Steel. I have the damage settings set to 3/4 for friendlies and I literally did nothing but throw darts at enemies the whole time; my dudes were just cutting everything down as soon as they got to the top. My troop types consist of hiring anything and everything in Vaegir territory and taverns except caravan guards.

MrDelish on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I keep trying that AD mod?

Yeah it crashes as soon as I move on the world map, something about a missing skybox.

Awesome stuff.

Anon the Felon on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

stupidvikings.jpg

When they came for the D'Shar, I said nothing.

Fuck the D'Shar (though, in this case it's Sarleon that's getting fucked)! They refuse to take over an Empire keep so that I can steal it away from them later (by playing the *siege keep, then a few days pass and keep unsieges, then come back a few days later and siege again, rinse repeat*) and outright prevent me from sieging their other undefended keep because they send roaming armies my way whenever I'm at their walls. In fact, it seems that only the Fierdsvain have any semblance of intelligent AI in this game, given the retarded actions of the other kingdoms.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Blood and Steel has a shield-bash move. (left CTRL) I did not know this until I hit it by accident and sent three enemies flying :D

Phoenix-D on
  • SrazekSrazek Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Yeah it crashes as soon as I move on the world map, something about a missing skybox.

Awesome stuff.

I can see you didn't read the.. well, anything. You didn't read anything.

Scroll down to the bottom of this thread

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,110470.0.html (you may recognize it, you've clicked on it before)

And you may find the words 'Hotfix' is big red letters, it's helpful and will fix your skybox.

If you're on a 32bit os you may also want to read this

Sorry if I sound like i'm being a dick or something but it's all right there in the 1257 forum, STICKIED.

Srazek on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Srazek wrote: »

Awesome stuff.

I can see you didn't read the.. well, anything. You didn't read anything.

Scroll down to the bottom of this thread

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,110470.0.html (you may recognize it, you've clicked on it before)

And you may find the words 'Hotfix' is big red letters, it's helpful and will fix your skybox.

If you're on a 32bit os you may also want to read this

Sorry if I sound like i'm being a dick or something but it's all right there in the 1257 forum, STICKIED.

Meh, I just got the mod off the repository. And you're right, I didn't read anything. I guess I just assumed that because it was a simple file repository, any glaring problems (like this one) would be recompiled and uploaded into the core file. At least, that's how I bug fix mod's I have done for games. If it's constantly happening, recompile and upload so there is zero confusion.

Meh, glaring issues like a missing god-damn skybox graphic? I don't give a shit if it's stickied on some trash forum (let's admit, 99% of the Taleworld mod forums are...well...bad), it should be in an updated core install. Because there is more then one way to get to downloading the Warband mods, and most of those can let you circumvent going to the mod specific subforum.

Edit: I don't think you're a dick at all, I just think it's bad mod management. Not your fault, but your attitude was a little...over the top, but no harm done.

Anon the Felon on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I FOUND IT!!!!

A book stolen from me by a group of Sea Raiders weeks ago. I was just preying on the supply of sea raiders that spend time on the Rhodok coast and happened to find it. I'm stoked, that thing was worth 4,000.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i've finally gotten to a point where in PoP everything does not kick me in the balls and laugh at my pain, my army is sitting at about 90 man strong and i have a 20 man d'shar bladesman backbone, so if i get to your lines, you are fucked

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    speaking of books: does the book merchant's inventory ever refresh? I sold a book because I couldn't find another way to get rid of it and needed to stop reading it until I levelled to get the most from it, and now I can't find it from the merchant I sold it to.

L|ama on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    speaking of books: does the book merchant's inventory ever refresh? I sold a book because I couldn't find another way to get rid of it and needed to stop reading it until I levelled to get the most from it, and now I can't find it from the merchant I sold it to.

Couldn't you have just picked a different book to read?

Elvenshae on
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Blood and Steel has a shield-bash move. (left CTRL) I did not know this until I hit it by accident and sent three enemies flying :D

This just blew my mind. I'm gonna try it with my barbarian right now.

Edit: Oh man that is awesome. It seems like some shields can't do it for some reason. I'm not going to carry a weapon anymore, I'll just shield bash and kick my way through everyone and let my minions pick up the pieces.

bamjo on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anyone have a handy upgrade tree for units in PoP? I want to get some Sarleon knights..but I only seem to be able to make infantry or archers.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Heir wrote: »
    Anyone have a handy upgrade tree for units in PoP? I want to get some Sarleon knights..but I only seem to be able to make infantry or archers.

Theres a PoP wiki that has some decent information on it.

You have to found the knightly orders in order to get the good knights.

Morkath on
  • South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You have to upgrade them from noble recruits, from a castle or town (I think they're in towns, anyways.) They changed it to that system for 3.0

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Will a computer that runs MB vanilla well work with MB:W?

Kadoken on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    South host wrote: »
    You have to upgrade them from noble recruits, from a castle or town (I think they're in towns, anyways.) They changed it to that system for 3.0

Interesting. I don't have to do that with Ravenstern troops.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alright I think I'm going to use my 32 hours of warband to restart one more time. Roll with the Nords and make a quick pit stop over in Rhodok to get me a crossbow army and hopefully I won't get captured after every battle. The Vaegirs are going to pay, the last game I was in I was at 3 seperate keep defenses (all got taken) they never gave me any more money or anything but they did bail me out.

I wish I didn't suck at this game but its so much fun. Let's hope this goes well!

I also noticed I had TweakMB so I feel silly for not noticing the battle continuation fix.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    edited December 2010
    Starting to get on my nerves in PoP how difficult starting your own kingdom is. Took a castle from the Empire after the D'Shar wouldn't cooperate. No problem. Of course, you can't take a keep and then hold it against the inevitable counterattack (from the D'Shar, naturally, who handily made peace with the Empire just after I capture the Keep so that they can solely concentrate on fucking me in the ass) since you're depleted of troops and they or any opportunistic faction will beeline for your keep as you're out gathering a new army. So, few days later I'm keepless and armyless once again.

And apparently the "I'd like to make peace with your faction, here's 30,000 gold" doesn't actually work, given that my faction rating is still hovering at -53 with them. So, so much for 30,000 gold. :?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Now Warband won't load with the continuation mod on, some runtime error.

I saw the second half of the other fix and forgot about it when I got around to fiddling with it again.

Durr

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Starting to get on my nerves in PoP how difficult starting your own kingdom is. Took a castle from the Empire after the D'Shar wouldn't cooperate. No problem. Of course, you can't take a keep and then hold it against the inevitable counterattack (from the D'Shar, naturally, who handily made peace with the Empire just after I capture the Keep so that they can solely concentrate on fucking me in the ass) since you're depleted of troops and they or any opportunistic faction will beeline for your keep as you're out gathering a new army. So, few days later I'm keepless and armyless once again.

And apparently the "I'd like to make peace with your faction, here's 30,000 gold" doesn't actually work, given that my faction rating is still hovering at -53 with them. So, so much for 30,000 gold. :?

Had the same problem. What worked for me was kiting one of the large independent armies towards my new castle. The Seer army would chase off the sieging lords and eventually I got lucky and they caught one Lord and destroyed the entire army.

Mr. Pokeylope on
    edited December 2010
    Heir wrote: »
    South host wrote: »

Interesting. I don't have to do that with Ravenstern troops.

Yes, you do; it's just that you can get the best Ravenstern unit (Rangers) without noble recruits. You can't turn Ravenstern peasants into Ravenstern Knights.

As an aside, fuck tournament rounds which are "2 Teams of 8" or similR bullshit. They always end up as me vs. the entire other team - except for the rare, blessed occasion when it is me vs. only 4 of the other team.

Elvenshae on
    edited December 2010
    You have to support your dudes. It was much better when you could give orders - or if you aren't playing in WB, you can.

fadingathedges on
    edited December 2010
    You have to support your dudes. It was much better when you could give orders - or if you aren't playing in WB, you can.

As they say, this isn't my first trip to the rodeo. And in POP, at least, you can give orders. The AI team doesn't, at all, but they always manage to clean up.

Elvenshae on
    edited December 2010
    In WB PoP, you can no longer give orders... and jouster equipment sets no longer have sidearms :( I once had a 1v1 where we both got unhorsed and had a poke match.

fadingathedges on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »

Couldn't you have just picked a different book to read?

Only had one in inventory.

L|ama on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In WB PoP, you can no longer give orders... and jouster equipment sets no longer have sidearms :( I once had a 1v1 where we both got unhorsed and had a poke match.

Yes, you can, I do it all the time

Scooter on
  • UnreadableHulkUnreadableHulk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Draygo wrote: »

Move to the side after you shoot to better watch the projectile. You can get a better idea if you are leading too much or too little, (or coming up too far or short).

As a general principal don't shoot at melee fights with your allies backs facing you. Its the fastest way on servers with team damage enabled to make people hate you. Dont shoot at melee fights at all until you're confident in your accuracy and spent a significant amount of time as an infantry player yourself so you can get a good understanding on the tempo and rythem of a fight.

Personally i find native archers x-bows overpowered in the right hands. But in the hands of a newbie they are extremely underpowered and can end up costing your team more than its helping.

The combat depth in this game is amazing though. Its really worthwhile to spend the time to learn all the nuances of melee combat. From basic things like blocking, retaliating, to more advanced things like fienting/chamber holding/footwork (exploiting a weapon range advantage/closing range with a shorter weapon), to extremely advanced things like positional strikes/aimed headshots/chamberblocking

Thanks for the advice! I will spend some more time in melee as I jumped in today and was slaughtered. All I really did in melee in the single player game was use two-handed axes to smash through NPC's, but it really is an entirely different dynamic in multiplayer.

UnreadableHulk on
    edited December 2010
    i've finally gotten to a point where in PoP everything does not kick me in the balls and laugh at my pain, my army is sitting at about 90 man strong and i have a 20 man d'shar bladesman backbone, so if i get to your lines, you are fucked

I thought the same thing until I fought a Noldor army. Holy shit. I have 118 hp and about the best armor you can buy, and I can usually take at least 20 arrows before feeling the hurt, but those Noldor rangers were taking me in out 3 or 4 hits. I finally just ordered my guys to go charge while I hid back at the inventory bag. I ended up just cheating like crazy and gave myself 400 Ravenstern Rangers, in addition to my 65 Hero and 65 Heroine adventurers, and I still was down to under 100 troops by the end of it. Scary. Though to be fair, this was a 400+ Noldor army lead by a Lord.

Though I did discover a fairly easy way to raise your Noldor relationship. If you can manage to beat them, take as many prisoners as possible, and use the warp cheat to take any routed groups if you want an even easier time. If you talk to the prisoners from your party screen, one of the dialog options is to let them go home. Each time you do that, you get +1 rep, and you can do it for every single prisoner you have. Next time another group of them show up, I'm going after them with a mace. I want Noldor troops.

The equipment you can loot after battling them is pretty awesome, too. I got a cracked Noldor bow that was better than the Masterwork one I had been using. Their stuff sells for a good bit, as well.

Sir Carcass on