As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    I've been getting into Warband over the past week, and despite having bounced off after feeling overwhelmed a few times before, it's finally starting to click! I've tried a few different mods, like Prophecy of apendor and the Floris mod compilation, and I think I overall like the latter one more.

Which mods are y'all's favorites for Warband? I'm kind of interested in conversions into other IPs such as LotR or GoT, would anyone recommend those?

There's a really good LotR mod called The Last Days of the Third Age. There's also a pretty good aSoIaF mod, A World of Ice and Fire. They should both be on the Steam Workshop.

Strong second on The Last Days, fantastic mod

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I've been getting into Warband over the past week, and despite having bounced off after feeling overwhelmed a few times before, it's finally starting to click! I've tried a few different mods, like Prophecy of apendor and the Floris mod compilation, and I think I overall like the latter one more.

Which mods are y'all's favorites for Warband? I'm kind of interested in conversions into other IPs such as LotR or GoT, would anyone recommend those?

PoP is one of the best mods for Warband but it is considerably harder than original flavor Warband. I don't recommend it for someone still learning the game. Floris is more of a building on the vanilla foundation.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wow, reuinifying the empire is a bad choice. I've taken a castle twice now, only to have an army of 700 show up to take it back within seconds. Have I chosen the wrong path, or do all nations show up with 7x the number of dudes you can the moment you make even the smallest move?

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Wow, reuinifying the empire is a bad choice. I've taken a castle twice now, only to have an army of 700 show up to take it back within seconds. Have I chosen the wrong path, or do all nations show up with 7x the number of dudes you can the moment you make even the smallest move?

Those big armies are usually made up of several bands. A lord in a faction can put out a call to arms, and people join them until they decide to head out and fuck shit up. You can join them, or form your own army and hope others join you.

JtgVX0H.png
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Playing a smith/trade character and currently my javelins sell for 75000 per set.

it costs maybe 600-800 for the materials to make (some wood and wrought iron so I dont even need high grade steel!, so im making huge profits. I visit a town, buy every single weapon, melt it down and make a crap load of javelins and sell some back. Leaving entire cities with no weapons but 2-3 sets of javelins.

Gonna buy as much of Calradia as I can. if anyone attacks me i'll buy them off and their lands too. Its hilarious how much money im raking in

New plan - I can take on 200 or so with my 100 and only lose a handful, so I'm using that ability to basically kidnap every lord and prevent them from raising an army to stop me.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

It happens to every feif you'll own, even if you're a vassal of another ruler. I had a Sturgian castle that I captured, and I had to defend it against at least two 600+ man sieges per week. It was constant and unending and also really tiresome.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    korodullin wrote: »

It happens to every feif you'll own, even if you're a vassal of another ruler. I had a Sturgian castle that I captured, and I had to defend it against at least two 600+ man sieges per week. It was constant and unending and also really tiresome.

I just leave my castle be, only occasionally visiting to select projects to improve it, drop off prisoners, and sometimes add to the garrison. But if it gets attacked, I trust to it's defenses (ie, I'm lazy)

JtgVX0H.png
    I have taken a castle and two cities. At 160 units strong, pretty much nobody can put together an army that has even a chance of stopping me. At this point, I'm just trying to beat the mega empires to the remaining parts of the smaller ones. Maybe it's time to calve off some of my clan members with armies of their own to speed things up?

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Finally managed to stick with a character and get some stuff going.

Still haven't formed a kingdom, but I managed to take a castle as an independent clan for, basically, 900 denar and almost no lingering resentment.

- Got a crimestat from a shady quest.
    - Tried to sneak into a town and failed, causing the Khuzait to declare war on me and the 40ish people in my employ.
    - Picked the southern most castle (closest to Azeri territory, furthest from the Khuzait front with their proper wars)
    - Fought off a few mercs, released their leaders, which seemed to result in a pretty decent net gain in rep with that faction. They never bothered me again, not sure if that's because we just never happened to cross paths or because of the rep.
    - Decided to stock up on archers and come back later.
    - Did that. (And bought myself a fancy 5-figure Noble Bow)
    - Took the castle in a hasty siege right before 240 Khuzait-proper troops came crashing down on our camp. (Didn't have any towers built, thought I was fucked, but I guess ladders are really all you need vs tier 1 walls?)
    - Requested an audience with the commander of the immediate counter-siege (now 600 strong), asked to end the war, the auto calc thing offered 900 denar, and I came out of that conversation with +3 rep on that lord (Social perk), and 0 with Khuzait kingdom.

I'm sure the original owner probably doesn't like me, but he's not the king, so the Khuzait have no (apparent) official interest in getting it back, so fuck 'im.

Two things I'm not sure on:

Do I even need to defend it since I'm not a Kingdom and no one has any default negative opinions about me?

And why only 900? The beef was pretty old by that point, and I'd slaughtered at least a dozen Steppe bandit camps to endearing myself to the notable townies, but that army had me dead to rights and I was prepared to pay 20x that as I'm pretty sure the daily tax revenue was more than 900.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I feel like many of us can relate to this:

https://youtu.be/GRDpQczBlJw

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Reading the recent patch notes:
    Our storyline brother now wears cheaper armour so players are less likely to strip him for his gear.

... Dammit, why did I never think of doing that?

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I wasn't aware that you even could, since your inventory resets after the tutorial.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    I'm not sure on:

Do I even need to defend it since I'm not a Kingdom and no one has any default negative opinions about me?
    Well, the Aserai, my own people, wasted no time in answering that. The Sultan- whose lands I tirelessly cleared of bandits, whose starving cities I fed after the sieges broke, whose industries I invested in and supplied, and whose villagers knew me as a friend- suddenly decided to seize my workshops, declare me an enemy of the state, and lead an army to try to conquer the land I had dared to call my own.

Apparently they just wanted to wet their beak, because after I killed or captured 1200 troops they were pretty happy to accept 2000 denar to fuck off.

Took care to turn loose all the lords belonging to the clan who owns the two neighboring Aserai settlements. Gonna go found myself a kingdom next and see if I can entice them away, because executing everyone loyal to the Sultan will be my next quest.

Beta bug: I timed out on a Family Fued quest and now I can't get the son out of my party. He usually makes it 50-75% through a hideout raid, so it could be worse, but you can't upgrade his gear so that will never improve.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Beta bug: I timed out on a Family Fued quest and now I can't get the son out of my party. He usually makes it 50-75% through a hideout raid, so it could be worse, but you can't upgrade his gear so that will never improve.

I swear, I see that quest mentioned in every set of patch notes.

So I finally maxed out smithing. The skill itself can go higher (but not by much), but I meant that I finally unlocked all the goddamned parts. I spent over 2 million denars buying wood and occasionally random high tier weapons to unlock shit and improve my skills, and I gotta say the entire process is bullshit and way too grindy. But since I'm finished, I went ahead and made some weapons for each of my party members. I replaced my own axe with a weaker but much cooler long seax, and for two companions I gave them twinned maces and as such will only post one.

Also, my names show that I am both a gigantic child and also a huge fuckin nerd
    B240EAAD149B50B654E8BF2E09109BA40DF9906F
    96AE227B0871255E34B128C3CC4414B69A3DE266
    5B215A1990C5C692DBEBDB55978F02EBAAED8BC3
    F91B3E33F8ACB7969CC2B1485F7A14E98796254D
    41398DB96D7D663AAC5112D5C748B79A1B152669
    A4516F6C6BE434A2B311AD1139A1FEDBADCE465F
    F7A65EC26E922B36E64FCEC2B78526BCC6D6E317
    66ED4D28C9F15125B4623BCCE0CD44F820D12CF6

JtgVX0H.png

I swear, I see that quest mentioned in every set of patch notes.

There's another quirk where I couldn't trigger the conversation with the agreived party if I manually entered the town and spoke to him. It only worked if I used to "talk to" shortcut from the world map.

Are they completely different entry points for the purposes of triggering events? Was it because the son is my 6 or 7th companion in party order and so just didn't get spawned the first way?

A third weirder thing? Tune in to the next exciting episode of quest patch notes...

So through a series of shenanigans, the Aserai (who I am a member of) were warring with the various Empire factions and got the West and the South down to one city each (the North Empire got annihilated earlier by the Vlandians and Battanians) and I went with an army to siege South Empire's final city. Our army broke apart before the siege finished and the enemy's army that wasn't in the city did the same for some reason. So I sat outside and single-handedly fought off and captured every fucking lord they had. The groups would oscillate around me trying to get back inside the city until like 10 of them would jump me at once with only about 95 troops combined. I'd spank em, then wait for the next bunch. Eventually a damn Khuzait army showed up and took the city, and I helped because why not. I earned about half a million from beating all these assholes up and then ransoming them off, so that was nice.

6D03792CFC762A32BE8555CDA9EB06B8CBA18846

JtgVX0H.png
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    The current cludgy patch for lords getting merked by bandits after being decimated in a previous battle appears to be to give them a handful of high level troops and then up to a few dozen recruit level troops. Fine for getting around 95% of bandits, but they make for seriously delicious player fodder. This isn't helped by the fact that they seem to massively overestimate their chances in battle.

I had a similar situation where the Southern Empire was totally routed in some early battles. At this point though, my liege lord seems much happier ravaging villages than actually taking castles and cities. So I killed time waiting for a siege by mopping up stack after stack of shitty Imperial recruits. Not quite to the extreme extent as the screenshot above mind! Still, can't complain about the 50-odd thousand denars I made from it...

edit: Just noticed the flag you're rocking there Darmak! \m/

Campy on
    Pretty sure I'm done with this for a while. I have a big ol' army, highly-trained, and sufficient towns conquered to afford it. But taking anything new - and then keeping it - has become roughly impossible. All of my cities are constantly under attack, and empires keep declaring war just when I think I might have a handle on dealing with another empire. So then I have to hike all the way back to where the other empire is, pay them off so they won't snap everything up behind me, and then go back to the real front. Plus, paying for peace doesn't seem to last for much longer than a few days, so it's just flushing money away.

Gonna need some sort of better way of holding stuff or doing diplomacy, or empire AI or something.

Pretty sure I'm done with this for a while. I have a big ol' army, highly-trained, and sufficient towns conquered to afford it. But taking anything new - and then keeping it - has become roughly impossible. All of my cities are constantly under attack, and empires keep declaring war just when I think I might have a handle on dealing with another empire. So then I have to hike all the way back to where the other empire is, pay them off so they won't snap everything up behind me, and then go back to the real front. Plus, paying for peace doesn't seem to last for much longer than a few days, so it's just flushing money away.

Gonna need some sort of better way of holding stuff or doing diplomacy, or empire AI or something.

basically the same place im in, I can take on any one empire. But other ones keep declaring war on me, so I am just ping-ponging over my empire paying guys off and not having time to actually do anything.
    I'd like some time to manage my holdings, recruit my army properly and bribe some other clans to join me too to pad out my numbers.

Its annoying we can only bribe the heads of clans/mercanaries to join us. because tracking them down is a nightmare.
    Why can't we have the ability to only recruit a son (tempt him with the ownership of his own lands) or just one party of mercs at a time instead of the whole group/clan.

So one of my settlements was under attack by some Battanian assholes. No big deal, I think, I'll go spank these guys and get back to hoarding grain and cheese. I roll up with my 177 troops to find it's an army of 499 dickheads under one banner. I figure fuck it, yolo and besides I'm richer than god so who cares if I get defeated, I can always make a comeback.

I beat the shit out of them with only 27 losses and about 35 wounded, while they had nearly total losses split between dead and wounded. The battle AI in this game is pretty awful, because I just placed my archers on a slight incline, my infantry right below them out of their immediate line of fire, then placed my cavalry off to the side and back some. Had the infantry hold the line, let the archers rain doom, then after about 30 seconds of fighting I sent in my cavalry and let my infantry charge and go nuts. About 30 seconds after that I had my archers join in the melee since it looked like the enemy was getting reinforcements. That's it, that's all I did besides wade into the battle myself, and we murdered those fools.

I did find out that making my custom spear extra long is excellent against horseman and for pokin infantry from far away, but the seax is waaaaaaaaaaaay better when I'm in the middle of a big melee. I didn't think to check to see how many fools I shanked, but it was a lot. Also used up all my jareeds, and every single one got a kill.
    e85zdb689yst.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
    GaryO wrote: »

basically the same place im in, I can take on any one empire. But other ones keep declaring war on me, so I am just ping-ponging over my empire paying guys off and not having time to actually do anything.
    I'd like some time to manage my holdings, recruit my army properly and bribe some other clans to join me too to pad out my numbers.

Its annoying we can only bribe the heads of clans/mercanaries to join us. because tracking them down is a nightmare.
    Why can't we have the ability to only recruit a son (tempt him with the ownership of his own lands) or just one party of mercs at a time instead of the whole group/clan.
    I'm curious if you can marry the sons/daughters out of their clan? Haven't been able to do so yet.

It would also be nice if you could convert your hostages, but you can't even talk to them, which seems like something they should definitely get around to adding. That was a thing in WB, right?

I really like that the loyalty persuasion challenge successes can carry over to subsequent conversations if you fail. I did finally manage to woo the Aserai clan who owned Husn and Razih, only to realize that they don't bring their lands with them. The poor guy then quit 24 hours later, realizing I had no lands to offer, but the Aserai had already given the towns to some two man clan that couldn't even govern them.

And subsequently lost them to the Southern Empire...

Who subsequently are in the process of losing them to me!

Not sure if I should re-recruit the original owners and make it right, because they're clearly too naive the be trusted :)

In other news, the ability to barter towns is getting closer. With 7 SOC and 5 focus, I'm at 177/210, perk is at 225. Only 48 points to go, but this war may have fucked my trade route a bit. Daunustica (held by the SE) is at the center of my route (Tiyal -> Quyaz via the Aserai and Khuzait towns), and has almost 10,000 prosperity; which seems to mean it absolutely devours resources. Thinking I should just leave it be since it's perfect for dumping any excess resources that didn't sell at a good enough profit on either end of the route, and that last 15 points over cap is gonna suuuuuuck.

(Can't wait to finally get it and discover it's not yet implemented!)

Filing under: Things the game UI doesn't seem to expect you to do

I executed 13 SE lords at once and it took like 10 minutes for the rep loss messages to stop coming. Made an alternate save branch and my skull throne is up to 24 SE skulls and eradicated 4 clan banners.

But before you judge me, who is the real monster here? The lords who order wave after wave of their own men to die, then cheat death every time and expect mercy? Me for simply balancing that equation? Or the other lords who just sold me four SE lords for 1 denar each, knowing full well what I had done with the last 20?

I'm curious what happens when I reduce a clan down to children, and if killing all the adults will leave the whole of the southern empire under the control of toddlers.

Ok I got lucky and had 2 different armies come at me led by clan lords with big families.

Actually managed to bribe both clan leaders to join me, and bring their cities too.

Both clan leaders first task as part of my empire was to massacre their former comrades in their own army who didn't join me.

Also because I have ludicrous amounts of influence I chose the option to support them (in the kingdom screen there is an option to give some of your influence to another clan) and within a day of joining me both clans had 100 opinion of me.

Feel like I pulled off 2 Red Weddings

edited May 2020
    Ok, purging the nobility of one kingdom seems like it will require purging all of Calradia. I got the SE down to three nobles, with the ruler in prison, but couldn't catch them faster than someone(??) manages to persuade clans from other empires to join up for a chance at all the suddenly available fiefs. With teleporting I was able to get them down to one bugged noble who didn't appear to have any skills, or exist, and then the wiki just listed a dead man as the ruler instead of that person. So either it's not possible to murder a kingdom out of exostence, or I got unlucky and chose with with a bugged noble. Perhaps one of those orphaned lordlings would appear and take the throne in a few years, but I'm reverting back to before I set out on this long bloody path to nowhere.

:/

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Ok, purging the nobility of one kingdom seems like it will require purging all of Calradia. I got the SE down to three nobles, with the ruler in prison, but couldn't catch them faster than someone(??) manages to persuade clans from other empires to join up for a chance at all the suddenly available fiefs. With teleporting I was able to get them down to one bugged noble who didn't appear to have any skills, or exist, and then the wiki just listed a dead man as the ruler instead of that person. So either it's not possible to murder a kingdom out of exostence, or I got unlucky and chose with with a bugged noble. Perhaps one of those orphaned lordlings would appear and take the throne in a few years, but I'm reverting back to before I set out on this long bloody path to nowhere.

I'm thinking the feature to execute prisoners is kind of like Richard Garriott telling the story of how players completely ruined the first, carefully balanced iteration of the UO ecosystem (herbivores would eat plants and go to areas where they were plentiful, carnivores would follow and hang around the herbivores, players just killed everything and completely wiped out all life in Britannia). While designing Bannerlord, I think they thought "players want the option to execute specific prisoners who are causing them trouble and that they really hate, instead of having to constantly capture and then have them escape", and they thought of some systems to support that, but what they didn't think of is players literally trying to execute every person in the game. Which in hindsight was shortsighted, but I can see how they got to where they did. I'm just wondering if it's a feature they can make work. Something like CK2 has enough people to support that (and systems in place to naturally help prevent it), but I don't know if Bannerlord does. Having -100 relation with the world doesn't really mean much once you get rolling.

One possible solution that might be neat is once you get to a certain relationship point, have the rest of Calradia see you as some sort of Sauron-like figure and put aside their differences to band together to battle this greater threat.

• FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

I'm thinking the feature to execute prisoners is kind of like Richard Garriott telling the story of how players completely ruined the first, carefully balanced iteration of the UO ecosystem (herbivores would eat plants and go to areas where they were plentiful, carnivores would follow and hang around the herbivores, players just killed everything and completely wiped out all life in Britannia). While designing Bannerlord, I think they thought "players want the option to execute specific prisoners who are causing them trouble and that they really hate, instead of having to constantly capture and then have them escape", and they thought of some systems to support that, but what they didn't think of is players literally trying to execute every person in the game. Which in hindsight was shortsighted, but I can see how they got to where they did. I'm just wondering if it's a feature they can make work. Something like CK2 has enough people to support that (and systems in place to naturally help prevent it), but I don't know if Bannerlord does. Having -100 relation with the world doesn't really mean much once you get rolling.

One possible solution that might be neat is once you get to a certain relationship point, have the rest of Calradia see you as some sort of Sauron-like figure and put aside their differences to band together to battle this greater threat.

Yeah, I killed over 45 people. It took about 3 (and a clan wipe) to hit -100 with anyone inclined to care, but there were plenty of clans who never gave a shit. The worst thing I got in terms of universal repercussions was a -2 (!) Deceitful trait. Not sure how what I was doing was deceitful. Maybe the first 13, but the next 30 should have known what they were getting into when they declined to bend the knee.

On one hand, it was odd that I was so damn charming that I could still persuade the -100 people to join me (however briefly... but I'm the deceitful one?). On the other hand I'd say it was still more difficult than it ought to have been, because it should be pretty obvious what's going to happen when you decline an offer of peace from the person with an ear necklace of your peers whose army outnumbers your band of recruits 3:1 with elite soldiers.

Where's my "Join me, or spare your troops by falling on your sword right here." option?

(Or their "You are a mad dog, Siban, and any who follow you will be put down!" counter)

ArbitraryDescriptor on

Yeah, I killed over 45 people. It took about 3 (and a clan wipe) to hit -100 with anyone inclined to care, but there were plenty of clans who never gave a shit. The worst thing I got in terms of universal repercussions was a -2 (!) Deceitful trait. Not sure how what I was doing was deceitful. Maybe the first 13, but the next 30 should have known what they were getting into when they declined to bend the knee.

On one hand, it was odd that I was so damn charming that I could still persuade the -100 people to join me (however briefly... but I'm the deceitful one?). On the other hand I'd say it was still more difficult than it ought to have been, because it should be pretty obvious what's going to happen when you decline an offer of peace from the person with an ear necklace of your peers whose army outnumbers your band of recruits 3:1 with elite soldiers.

Where's my "Join me, or spare your troops by falling on your sword right here." option?

(Or their "You are a mad dog, Siban, and any who follow you will be put down!" counter)

There was a pretty good thread on Reddit recently about how Bannerlord seems to have not evolved the diplomatic portion of the game much at all since Warband, with some suggestions of things that should happen. Stuff like lords actually knowing more about you from your exploits and reacting appropriately (you defeated a thousand man army with barely a hundred troops and have slaughtered every force put against you, so you're obviously an amazing general and I should either recruit you as hard as I can or avoid pissing you off, for example). I don't expect much on that front from the Early Access period, unfortunately, but I have great hope for the modding scene to pick up that slack. That's actually something I've been throwing around in my head to possibly try modding myself. I would like to see some sort of M&B/CK2 hybrid feudalism system where maybe castles are part of counties and cities duchies, with titles and CB's and all that. I get that M&B is about armies fighting armies, so the game is designed to have that be a constant, but I would like wars to at least feel like they mean something and not feel random, and for Calradia to feel like an actual land and not some sort of random battle generator.

I literally tell every enemy I meet 'surrender or die'
    They never surrender so I chop their heads off when I beat them. How does that make me deceitful/devious. Im super honest about my intentions

edited May 2020
    Everything has a Price and Disciplinarian are fantastic perks. The best part about the latter is that all bandits can upgrade into the rare troop lines (except looters, but Imperial troops are handy enough), and you can acquire them by the dozen via surrender or by knocking over an army that's been rounding them up as prisoners. I still think it makes more sense as a Roguery perk than leadership, but w/e.

Being able to buy and sell property, the former, is obviously great, but be prepared to pay 7 figures for anything of note.

Both skills are still a real slog to acquire, but 1.4 fixes the save game issue with trade (as well as letting you caravans skill up in trade), so I think I'll give it a reboot and see if there's any realistic way to get leadership up there without having a kingdom. I was only able to start making meaningful skill progress by leading huge armies, but maybe dumping character creation points in it and leading small, high morale parties will be a viable option.

I also observed that, during war, my other clan party actually started turning a profit of a thousands a day. I'm torn between going for some more roguey people and playing the bandit king (w/ Disciplinarian), or running a lot of caravans and buying out the competition. Be nice if we can eventually flip between the two 'modes' more easily, or could just tell your warbands to go on trade runs.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »

I literally tell every enemy I meet 'surrender or die'
    They never surrender so I chop their heads off when I beat them. How does that make me deceitful/devious. Im super honest about my intentions

You're only supposed to kill poor people, you see.

Taleworlds posted a road map of sorts for the single player content: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/statement-regarding-plans-for-singleplayer-and-engine.422296/

Some good stuff there, but the biggest to me was they specifically say there will be a sandbox mode to create a kingdom (if you wish) without the main story.

That's honestly kinda... underwhelming. Like, that's the very bare minimum I would expect them to be working on. I was hoping that there would be some hint of Big New Features that we could look forward to that would revitalize my interest in the game.

I know, I know, it's early access and they probably don't want to show their hand too early, but other early access games release significant chunks of new content every time they do a minor (in semver, at lease) release. Hades has new weapons and areas, Satisfactory has whole new tech chains, MB2 has... a slightly altered economy and some balance changes.

I worry that this is roughly all there is, because it's at the same time too simple (not enough interesting choices to make outside of the very early game) and too hard (actually conquering anything without going on an execution spree is nigh-impossible because there aren't mechanics to make your conquest stick).

Ah well, worst-case I've already sunk 55 hours (!!!) into it - I'm not worried I won't get my money's worth, clearly I have. I'm just worried I won't want to sink another 200 in there. =)

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I don't mind if its a little bare-bones because I already know the modders are going to go nuts with this. Most of the time I spent in M&B was not with the base game.

That's honestly kinda... underwhelming. Like, that's the very bare minimum I would expect them to be working on. I was hoping that there would be some hint of Big New Features that we could look forward to that would revitalize my interest in the game.

I know, I know, it's early access and they probably don't want to show their hand too early, but other early access games release significant chunks of new content every time they do a minor (in semver, at lease) release. Hades has new weapons and areas, Satisfactory has whole new tech chains, MB2 has... a slightly altered economy and some balance changes.

I worry that this is roughly all there is, because it's at the same time too simple (not enough interesting choices to make outside of the very early game) and too hard (actually conquering anything without going on an execution spree is nigh-impossible because there aren't mechanics to make your conquest stick).

Ah well, worst-case I've already sunk 55 hours (!!!) into it - I'm not worried I won't get my money's worth, clearly I have. I'm just worried I won't want to sink another 200 in there. =)
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I don't mind if its a little bare-bones because I already know the modders are going to go nuts with this. Most of the time I spent in M&B was not with the base game.

TaleWorlds has from the beginning seemed to be using Early Access as an actual Beta period, where the features are basically in and they are just tweaking (or in some cases getting it to work at all), so I wouldn't expect much in the way of surprises. If anything, I feel if they announce "we're adding this big feature!" that will worry me because it will seem like it's something they decided on after the fact. I really don't want them, especially at this point, going offroad because that rarely ends well. They have a plan and I just want them to focus on executing it. Add the new stuff after release.

While I would have liked certain aspects of the game to be more feature-rich, I'm with Mr Ray in that I actually played very little vanilla Warband. Hell, I couldn't even name all of the vanilla factions off the top of my head, but I can tell you the PoP ones. I want TaleWorlds to get the core gameplay down (combat, battles, armies, castles), which they seem to be doing a good job of, and I'll let modders fill in the gaps. Modders did an amazing job with Warband, and I can only imagine what they'll accomplish once the actual mod tools and documentation are released. I totally get not being a fan of having to have modders fix the game, but I don't look at TaleWorlds the same as someone like Bethesda.

• LowHitPointsLowHitPoints Sword of the Afternoon MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I found myself asking "Where do hides (commodity) come from?" The are not produced by any villages I had visited. I then decided to buy a bunch of cows and hogs and slaughter them, thinking butchering would produce meat and hides. Nope, just a bunch of burgers and bacon.

So I skimmed Reddit, and it appears that there is a hidden class of "workshops" called Artisans that live in Towns and produce the commodities like hides. And the driving factor for their production is in fact the presence of the commodities cows, hogs, and sheep.
    Armed with that info, buying Tanneries in Towns that have villages that produce livestock sure did turn tidy profits for my character. In Towns like Pravend that have 2+ villages that produce livestock, I was seeing 450+ denars consistently without my intervention in the supply chain. And Tanneries produce leather armor, so they are a good source of "civilian" gear in order to clear out those back street gangs.

The more you know...

LowHitPoints on
    For what it's worth, I wasn't comparing TaleWorlds against Bethesda, I was comparing them (102 employees) against Coffee Stain Studios (25 employees) and Supergiant Games (20 employees). The way the latter two companies have handled Early Access has been exemplary, with a reasonably polished "base game" in place, and reasonably-polished chunks of content snapping into place on top of that. They also have a plan and are doing a good job at executing it, but their plan is simply broader in scope than the first thing we saw.

It feels like TaleWorlds has that reasonably-polished "base game", but it also feels like that's all we're ever going to see - this is the full breadth of scope. Now, it's still early days, but the 1.4 release is... bugfixes. I wouldn't expect further releases to be much different.

I think I overhyped myself. I love systems-based games, where the further you go, the more interweaving systems you unlock and the more they interact with each other. Stardew Valley, for example, keeps having new areas and options unlock to you over the course of the game that change how you play and value things. I really wanted M&B2 to be that same thing, where the game kept challenging me to re-evaluate my strategies and play as I progressed, but a lot of the systems just kind of run out and then there's nothing to replace or augment them.

So what I'm really saying is... good game, can't wait for the mods to make it great. =)