As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    They're just different methods of handling early access. I played Satisfactory at launch, it's a good game! It's also very bare-bones compared to Factorio. It's early access, so that's fine! But not all Early Access is the "add more features as we go" Early Access.

Bannerlord has been in development for like 7 years, and already has substantially more features than Mount & Blade Warband. It appears to be a meaty game with bugs to fix and balance issues to correct. It's cool that they still have stuff to add, but the game as it exists now is pretty close to what I expected from a Mount & Blade 2. The systems in mount & blade without mods have always been pretty straightforward. The complexity on the tail end isn't much different from the beginning -- you get fancier equipment and fight tougher troops, but your improvement comes down largely to improving your skills. It was the mega huge mods like Prophesy of Pendor that added tons of end game stuff and more depth to enemies.

I increasingly prefer the Early Access titles that are closer to feature complete, but it's just personal preference on my end. I often find myself getting too attached to the "old" systems, and have steered away from betas and feature light early access for a long time as a result. Give me the finished product -- there's tons of stuff out there to keep me busy until then.

Fiatil on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Can someone on the released branch verify if this exists in vanilla?

When I assign units to "Heavy infantry" they will spawn on the enemy side on certain maps. Most repeatable: Mountain Bandit camps (because they're all the same), villages (seen in two layouts).

I think it might be the Bannerlord tweaks mod I'm using (specifically the tweak that allows full parties in hideouts*), but it got borked on an update, and I haven't had a chance to recheck it.

This is actually an amazing bug if you're trying to train up infantry groups, especially if you just attacked 30 looters near a town and that group contains 50 tier 2+ troops. Takes like 10 seconds and you don't even know what's happening because you can't see them.

Conversely: This is a terrifying bug if you just engaged a larger force and your shield wall is nowhere in sight.

*Speaking of: that tweak puts an excellent twist on the boss fight. When the leader emerges and demands a duel, your units are to to circle formation around him. It really heightens the ambiance of the duel, and the hilarity of telling them to get fucked.

I found myself asking "Where do hides (commodity) come from?" The are not produced by any villages I had visited. I then decided to buy a bunch of cows and hogs and slaughter them, thinking butchering would produce meat and hides. Nope, just a bunch of burgers and bacon.

So I skimmed Reddit, and it appears that there is a hidden class of "workshops" called Artisans that live in Towns and produce the commodities like hides. And the driving factor for their production is in fact the presence of the commodities cows, hogs, and sheep.
    Armed with that info, buying Tanneries in Towns that have villages that produce livestock sure did turn tidy profits for my character. In Towns like Pravend that have 2+ villages that produce livestock, I was seeing 450+ denars consistently without my intervention in the supply chain. And Tanneries produce leather armor, so they are a good source of "civilian" gear in order to clear out those back street gangs.

The more you know...

Wait, so is "artisans" just a mistaken translation that was aiming for "abbatoir"? Do we have any native Turkish speakers who can check what they're called?

I figured it did something not fully implemented (like the gang locations), I just figured it was a skilled labor** guild.

**(Not to belittle people who clean and dress*** animals for a living)

***(As in 'for food' not 'for pictures')

Mr Ray wrote: »
    I don't mind if its a little bare-bones because I already know the modders are going to go nuts with this. Most of the time I spent in M&B was not with the base game.

Yeah the most time I've spent in vanilla Taleworlds content was the Vikings DLC that used to be a mod. They make a great engine, but I'm not gonna bust their balls for not pushing the envelope. I'm not sure I would even fault it as an investor, since they've shown they can just let the modders take the risk then incorporate/monetize what works without upseting the fans.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    New patch day, 1.4.2 is mainline and a beta for 1.4.3 is up. I haven't tried it yet, but with skills applying to units and the Heavy Mameluke apparently getting a bow nerf (they had the best bow so it can only get worse) the Khan's Guard is the undisputed best Archer Cav unit. And then they went and gave it a mace!

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Crap I'm gonna have to wait for mods to update :(

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2020
    A duck! wrote: »
    New patch day, 1.4.2 is mainline and a beta for 1.4.3 is up. I haven't tried it yet, but with skills applying to units and the Heavy Mameluke apparently getting a bow nerf (they had the best bow so it can only get worse) the Khan's Guard is the undisputed best Archer Cav unit. And then they went and gave it a mace!

I had a chance to look through the unit lists and unstated in the notes is that the minor factions had huge nerfs to their top-line units, dropping relevant skills from 200+ down to 100. In reality they're going to be stronger than in 1.4.2 because of skills taking effect, but units like Triarii and Boar Champions had a chance to be competitive with Legionaries and Sharpshooters

EDIT - FYI don't try to recruit bandits from the interaction screen as it'll kick you back to the new conversation window after you add the bandits and then won't let you select any options. You can still recruit from the prisoner list just fine, though.

A duck! on
    edited July 2020
    A duck! wrote: »

Oooooh! I saw them mention an upcoming overhaul to the XP system, but didn't think that meant next update:
    Character Development System
    Added a new system for XP sharing, where after a battle a portion of upgrade XP earned by troops will be distributed to the rest of the party.

Character levels now depend on raw experience collected from skills rather than skill level increases. Overall this should make it easier to focus on a particular set of skills.

Some of the calculations of perks were wrong because primary and secondary increment types were not divided. This was fixed.

Skill effects were not applied to non-hero agents. This was fixed.

Added 10 new athletics perks for the campaign side and prepared the UI for the combat/mission perks.

Added 7 new riding perks for the campaign side and prepared the UI for the combat/mission perks.
    Fixed bugs for the perks Confidence and Public Talker.

Fixed a bug with the wholesaler and appraiser perks. Profits should now be marked.

These sound like they will help more efficiently build up a soft-skills character; and that I can jump through fewer hoops to train up lower tier troops. I had a pretty short list of complaints as of 1.3.x(?), hard to guess as to what the effect of "we fixed X" means, but they seem to have touched on most if not all of them in a pretty short time.

What's this bullshit though?
    An auto-blocking option was added for single player.
    *spits*

As if. Thanks but no thanks, FailWorlds

*enables auto blocking*

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to start a new game with the same character?

I'm not very good at slider character creations, but I made one I am decently happy with and I dont want to go through that again.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Mortious wrote: »

I'm not very good at slider character creations, but I made one I am decently happy with and I dont want to go through that again.

Ctrl+c on the character screen will copy the settings (also banners, I think).

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

So I can copy/paste on the new character creation screen and it'll save/load that character (and it's a string I can probably save to a notepad). That's actually good to know, thanks.

But for an already in progress game it doesn't seem to work. I've tried it from the Character screen (C) and the Banner screen (B), and then every other random screen.

Move to New Zealand
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

So I can copy/paste on the new character creation screen and it'll save/load that character (and it's a string I can probably save to a notepad). That's actually good to know, thanks.

But for an already in progress game it doesn't seem to work. I've tried it from the Character screen (C) and the Banner screen (B), and then every other random screen.

You used to be able to just hit V on the world map to bring the character creator back up and then from there crtl-c. However, it seems they removed this? Dunno why.

Not sure how to open it up again or if you can. I mean I assume there is a console command somewhere for it.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Axen wrote: »

You used to be able to just hit V on the world map to bring the character creator back up and then from there crtl-c. However, it seems they removed this? Dunno why.

Not sure how to open it up again or if you can. I mean I assume there is a console command somewhere for it.

That's unfortunate, hopefully they bring that back. I don't understand while developers don't like allowing players to change character appearance in games like this, its something I'd quite like to do without starting a new game.

And this has probably been covered earlier, but how do you get honor/mercy/valor etc? I have 1 honour point so far.

Move to New Zealand
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I think it was removed because pasting something invalid would crash the game. I'm hoping they'll add it back in once they can idiot-proof it.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Saw this included in the notes for, I think, the most recent patch (might be beta branch):
    Opening Face Generator screen with 'V' is re-enabled in the main map. But the hair and beard options are limited to a few simple ones. For haircuts, the Barber NPC can be visited at any town center.

• FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy, mod tools have been released, and the Arda folks have been working with Taleworlds to learn to use em

https://www.moddb.com/mods/a-lord-of-the-rings-mod-kingdoms-of-arda/news/mod-tools-are-here

Tower_Guards.jpg

Fleeb on
    Saw this included in the notes for, I think, the most recent patch (might be beta branch):
    Opening Face Generator screen with 'V' is re-enabled in the main map. But the hair and beard options are limited to a few simple ones. For haircuts, the Barber NPC can be visited at any town center.

Nice. I kept meaning to suggest trying to copy from the barbershop screen, but it seemed silly to speculate when I could just fire the game up and test it.

*Several days and countless hours of Hardspace: Shipbreaker later*

Just one more shift, I'm getting to it.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I finally had some time to get into this game. It's so dang good. Like I haven't gotten lost in a game like this in a while. I honestly thought I would be numb to Bannerlord because I played 100s of hours of Warband (yet never beat a game). It is not that way at all; they've improved everything and it's so cool to have the almost immersion sim rhythm of needs and wants driving the way I play.

I think it would be really cool if someone making an 18th century or 19th century mod (or possibly even the Warhammer overhaul in the works) would mod the siege weapon placement to work in field battles. Now, I think that with the numbers there are for the average kingdom vs kingdom battle the max you could put is like 4 to maybe 8 tops and still have it be viable.

One thing I wonder about is if there can ever be like a "war machine" unit type that would allow movable artillery or even more out there things in something like Warhammer (steam tanks, I'm thinking of, but I would honestly be happy with a steam tank being a suped-up battering ram in a siege that could shoot on a track.)

Oh: this game also runs better than Warband in bigger battles. So that's like... a gigantic thing for me.

Kadoken on
    I installed it again recently and was honestly kind of disappointed in the lack of noticeable progress in the last few months. I know they've been churning out updates, and I haven't looked through the notes to see what all they've been doing, but a lot of the same missing things are still missing and a lot of the same broken things are still broken. Like, a perk that adds 1 to strength seems like it would be trivial to implement, but it still doesn't do anything, 6 months later.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the game is in fairly solid shape. They've improved performance and reduced crashes and all of that good stuff, but I just find it curious that these front facing things are still broken.

I did see that they added more to the family quest where you can rescue your family members now and have your brother join you as a companion, so that was nice.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I installed it again recently and was honestly kind of disappointed in the lack of noticeable progress in the last few months. I know they've been churning out updates, and I haven't looked through the notes to see what all they've been doing, but a lot of the same missing things are still missing and a lot of the same broken things are still broken. Like, a perk that adds 1 to strength seems like it would be trivial to implement, but it still doesn't do anything, 6 months later.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the game is in fairly solid shape. They've improved performance and reduced crashes and all of that good stuff, but I just find it curious that these front facing things are still broken.

I did see that they added more to the family quest where you can rescue your family members now and have your brother join you as a companion, so that was nice.

Yes, I haven't gotten this yet because they keep working on backend stuff.

Which is great.

But they haven't really chipped away at the long list of missing features.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Which is great.

They have been gradually rolling out upgrades and adjustments to the skill perks, though. You can see the implemented / partially-implemented / not-yet-implemented list here: https://www.bannerlordperks.com/perk

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Which is great.

They have been gradually rolling out upgrades and adjustments to the skill perks, though. You can see the implemented / partially-implemented / not-yet-implemented list here: https://www.bannerlordperks.com/perk

Sure, that's great for skill perks. But that's not really the content I'm referring to.

All I'm saying is that I had incredibly low expectations for the pace progress would be made and that's where we are at.

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Which is great.

Sure, that's great for skill perks. But that's not really the content I'm referring to.

All I'm saying is that I had incredibly low expectations for the pace progress would be made and that's where we are at.

Yep. The base gameplay loop is super fun. They kept exactly the right feel and made it easier than ever to control troops (once you take the time to figure out how, they don't spell it out for you). But it's going to be a slow simmer to get it close to where Warband left off, both in terms of the mods and community and also in terms of base game functionality. But that core idea of "isn't it awesome to ride around on a horse and fight stuff" is 100% still there and still solid.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So I jumped back in for a spin after seeing some Bannerlord content somewhere.

There's been way more patches since I last played than I care to read through, but one change is VERY WELCOME.

P959W3G.png

Choosing your party to go into a hideout!

Yeah, that’s a great add. It’s been in for a couple of months now, and it’s one of my favorites. So good to bring your heavy infantry and archers with you instead of your cavalry with spears.

My one main complaint about the game is spears, actually.

A spear-vs-spear arena battle is an exercise in tedium.

Holy crap this just came outta nowhere

https://www.moddb.com/mods/bannerlord-online

1100 people online in EU server right now

I also saw someone had a mod running that would open CK3 battles in MB2 and then import the results.

• Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    I also saw someone had a mod running that would open CK3 battles in MB2 and then import the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk--4hAtrOY

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Both of those mods have blown my mind. First one than the other.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    WHAT

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that online one is what I've always wanted for M&B. Just wanna co-op the game with a couple friends

JtgVX0H.png
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    People are making super rad Sengoku era and Warhammer Fantasy mods. They got ghosts in Warhammer to look good on Bannerlord!

Kadoken on
  • AjvyAjvy Registered User regular
    It has limitless potential, but it needs a lot more work to get polished.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Bannerlord Online is neat, but for me at least it seems to disconnect me every 10-15 minutes, which makes it a bit too frustrating of an experience to bother with. Also you start with literally 0 in every stat, meaning your maximum party size starts at five and increases veeeeeery sloooooowly. Also once you've gotten injured your health regenerates veeeeeryy slooooowly. There's a lot of grinding and waiting around, basically, which isn't a super fun gameplay experience, which is a shame because otherwise everything works surprisingly well!

So where are we at over a year into Early Access? They originally said a year, but, well. Does it feel like it's anywhere close to being "done"?

Eh ........ ?

Maybe?

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    I've been digging into it more recently. It's much better than at launch. There are also, critically, some great mods out there (on nexus or where ever) that add more weapons and variety to all kinds of things. The skill trees seem much better fleshed out and to actually (shocker) work now. The family stuff seems like it could go places. I think a lot of the "quests" feel haphazard and random though, a lot of the fun is still VERY much centered on the sandbox of the whole thing. The controls for moving your army around are reasonably fluid, the battles are still lots of fun (especially when you start getting some basic tactics like "hammer and anvil" down). So it's probably one of those "if you liked it, you'll like it more, but if you bounced off the concept, there hasn't been anything to bring you back" type of deals.

I joined the Northern Empire on my recent go though, and that was a mistake because they are always at war with the Kuzaits and the Kuzaits..... are just a pain in the ass to fight.

Massena wrote: »
    I've been digging into it more recently. It's much better than at launch. There are also, critically, some great mods out there (on nexus or where ever) that add more weapons and variety to all kinds of things. The skill trees seem much better fleshed out and to actually (shocker) work now. The family stuff seems like it could go places. I think a lot of the "quests" feel haphazard and random though, a lot of the fun is still VERY much centered on the sandbox of the whole thing. The controls for moving your army around are reasonably fluid, the battles are still lots of fun (especially when you start getting some basic tactics like "hammer and anvil" down). So it's probably one of those "if you liked it, you'll like it more, but if you bounced off the concept, there hasn't been anything to bring you back" type of deals.

I joined the Northern Empire on my recent go though, and that was a mistake because they are always at war with the Kuzaits and the Kuzaits..... are just a pain in the ass to fight.

So basically "Eh ........ ? Maybe?"

:wink:

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Given that the game took.....a really long time to develop, then released in Early Access without that really being the expectation, I'm going to hazard to guess they still have at least another year left of Early Access.

Fiatil on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    It's an odd place to be because it probably is a fuller game than Warband was but Warband also didn't have that much going in terms of the gameplay that sat on top of all the simulation. The companion system and land/kingdom management was always pretty barebones.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772