As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

1596061626365»

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Ewww, and play with a controller?

JtgVX0H.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I was surprised by the announcement. I guess I kind of just assumed this would be one of those, very common, cases where a game is in EA forever.

I am quite excited for it, mainly for all the mods that'll come. As much fun as I've had with the vanilla version, which has been a lot of fun for me, I am eager for mods.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Ewww, and play with a controller?

One button to make the horse run, one button to swing my mace

Seems doable

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    So this released out of early access recently without much fanfare that I noticed. My only clues were an official review at PC Gamer and getting a few Steam Cards for the game.

I fired up a new game and it both somehow doesn't feel that much different from when I tried the initial EA release but I also know a lot of tweaks under the hood have been made. A lot of features just still feel a bit barebones or things that were stated as plans never made it in/were canceled. I'm definitely enjoying myself but also finding myself annoyed at some things today that I didn't care about back in the Warband days.

I've purposefully been taking it slow as I try to familiarize myself with various systems. Probably need to become a mercenary soon though. Somehow a band of 20ish looters had a whole slew of mid and high tier prisoner units and doubled my party size the other night upon winning. I'm viewing it as a sign it's time to move on to bigger things.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Been playing this again past week.
    No major changes compared to EA version so for.
    But lot of smaller tweaks.
    Economy is lot more balanced, it is harder to make huge profits through trading, meaning that i struggle to make the payroll of my party (1k a day for 56 people, 6 companions, my brother, his wife, and so many sword sisters) reliably (happily the occasional ludicrously expensive horse as tournament reward makes up for it).
    Tournaments feel easier, there may have been rebalancing of weapons and the effect of skills have on them.
    Levelling smithing feels slower, though that might just be me not feeling economically comfortable enough to sit on my ass for days on end to make coal and smelt weapons i have looted.

Voice acting is ok, but feels unnecessary addition.
    Have not gotten to any sieges so far, very little wars going on.
    Will need to join a faction soonish, will see how that works then (never really got into factions while playing early access).

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Worth pointing out that a week or so before launch they released the Dev tools for modders.

I expect we'll see some quality mods before too long. Hell, even without those tools people were working on some impressive stuff.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Its a lot easier to level a bunch of skills than ot was in EA. A general type character I built with charisma cunning and int has like 260 scouting leadership charm and like 130 tactics and roguery, steward always easy, but I just passed 250 medicine and am taking sieges to get engineering.

Nyysjan wrote: »
    Been playing this again past week.
    No major changes compared to EA version so for.
    But lot of smaller tweaks.
    Economy is lot more balanced, it is harder to make huge profits through trading, meaning that i struggle to make the payroll of my party (1k a day for 56 people, 6 companions, my brother, his wife, and so many sword sisters) reliably (happily the occasional ludicrously expensive horse as tournament reward makes up for it).
    Tournaments feel easier, there may have been rebalancing of weapons and the effect of skills have on them.
    Levelling smithing feels slower, though that might just be me not feeling economically comfortable enough to sit on my ass for days on end to make coal and smelt weapons i have looted.

Voice acting is ok, but feels unnecessary addition.
    Have not gotten to any sieges so far, very little wars going on.
    Will need to join a faction soonish, will see how that works then (never really got into factions while playing early access).

Factions feel much better than in Warband but that's not a high bar to clear.

Being a mercenary is pretty well done if a little weird at times. A certain amount of faction influence gets drained and converted to money each day which means that one of my perks made my faction pay me for winning tournaments or hunting bandits on the other side of the map. It does lead to transitioning into becoming a vassal smoother though as you can hit a point where you are accruing more influence than you get paid for and would be better served getting full use out of those points as a vassal.

I do like the various faction decisions that get put to a visible vote though. I saved one of my castles from being taken by proposing a peace treaty after the rest of the nobles in my faction had gotten captured. I also proposed and pushed through a kingdom policy that has significant economic benefits for vassals at the expense of some cost to the ruling clan. It's all nice stuff that makes being a vassal feel like a legitimate gameplay choice whereas in Warband it felt severely limited compared to becoming a ruler yourself.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I went the route of being a vassal rather than a ruler for my first playthrough (never played the EA version) and honestly I'm wondering why I would even bother with starting my own kingdom beyond just the challenge factor. By pushing for claims on just the fiefs that suit me (a continuous stretch along the former Northern Empire coast) I'm still picking up fiefs almost faster than I can properly staff and maintain them, and I have a kingdom's worth of lords backing me up. The only real thing is maybe controlling the war declarations a bit more, and I'm guessing you get to set a color and name with a new one.

Scooter wrote: »
    I went the route of being a vassal rather than a ruler for my first playthrough (never played the EA version) and honestly I'm wondering why I would even bother with starting my own kingdom beyond just the challenge factor. By pushing for claims on just the fiefs that suit me (a continuous stretch along the former Northern Empire coast) I'm still picking up fiefs almost faster than I can properly staff and maintain them, and I have a kingdom's worth of lords backing me up. The only real thing is maybe controlling the war declarations a bit more, and I'm guessing you get to set a color and name with a new one.

From what I gather, the big thing is that the AI is way too eager to declare war and doesn't give itself time to build up conquered settlements. Being able to just shut that down gives a huge strategic advantage.

Another potentially useful advantage is making your own kingdom is being able to vassalize minor clans you have good relations with. Some have some really good units and having them loyal to you means both they help you out and won't do merc work for other factions.

It's definitely something I want to explore in the future.

Steam Profile
    That was the one thing that's been really bugging me, Caladog continuously declares wars on people we don't even have borders with, and we haven't had a moment of peace in ages. Real hard to find some free time to get knocked up in. Didn't know that about the merc companies though, I was wondering why they even bothered having rep scores.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Welp, Sturgia has voted me in as the new Leader.

...Okay, this 'AI loves declaring war' thing has started to make the game almost unmanageable. I can see what it's doing - it calculates that our numerical field strength is 13000 or whatever, and these other guys have a couple thousand, so clearly we can fight 3 or 4 of them at once, right? With absolutely no consideration of the fact that fighting wars on four fronts at once is a really bad idea. We only got this far because of how awesome I am, but it seems like as soon as I get to a new front suddenly another war's opened up on the other side of the country. Progress has slowed to a crawl because anytime we get somewhere on one side of the map we lose as much on the other.

It's gone from "I can't remember the last time we were at peace" to "I can't remember the last time we were only fighting one war at once" and is getting really close to "I can't remember the last time we were only fighting two wars at once".

edited December 2022
    Alright, yeah, I've hit my limit. We actually hit the point where we were at war with everybody at once and the AI lords didn't want to declare peace with any of them. We got through that period, but I've just spent the last two days of play defending and recapturing the same three cities/castles over and over, because everyone else in the nation is fighting on three other fronts and I'm trying to single-handedly fight off the game's second largest empire - every time I crush an army they've got a new one assaulting the other end of the border again. I'm making zero progress. I'm actually personally losing ground because we lost territory I owned and when I got it back they handed it over to other lords.

It's so frustrating because this would be a great game, but just one or two variables are fucking the whole thing up. The game's mechanics demand that there be times of peace, so you can upgrade territory, do the dumb conspiracy sidequests, and have kids, and I'd say it's probably balanced around the idea of being at peace 25% of the time, at war with one party 50% of the time, and at war with two-three 25%. Instead I haven't had a period of peace in literal years, I can't even consider trying to do half the sidequests, and I get to spend like 2 days a year at my spouse's city. Just give me like one or two sliders, for god's sake.

Scooter on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    the kingdom political AI is not great, that's for sure. there's mods, of course, that purport to fix this but i haven't really dipped my toe into modding this just yet, i was waitin for full launch to avoid the constant updates etc, and i've just been playing other stuff lately (yearly playthrough of new vegas etc)

So I did try out the War AI mod, that's like, pinned to the top of Nexus so you know other folks were having the same issue, and it did fix the problems a lot. There was still one period where we were fighting way too much at once, and something is a little off with the peace calculations (it will say 129% support for peace and then you start the vote and it's 0%), but for the most part it did actually get things down to a manageable level. Ended up timing out into the big endgame war, at which point I maxed out the 'target peacetime' slider to make sure no one else tried to invade us from behind, and after a fair bit of effort, finally managed to beat the game. Would've never done it without the mod, for sure.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Well, good news, the patch last night (that doesn't even have notes) was enough to break all the baseline mods. I was getting close to the end of a campaign and now I get to wait for everything to get updated again.

I've been playing with the Beta branch after a youtuber/streamer mentioned it drastically improved performance. I can verify that the game runs much better than it did before. Enough to make me overlook some of the bugs, like the one noble that got a bugged rep change after I freed him from his captor and is now at -100 relation with me alongside his fellow prisoner that shot up to 100 relation.

Some of the new features are pretty neat too, like being able to directly set what troop formation companions/family members are in even if they're not the captain.

Others, I'm a little unsure about. The Fog of War for npcs makes sense in theory, but it does mean that unless you've got a guide on what companion titles align with what skills, it can make figuring out who to find and recruit a pain. Oh, and the beta update seems to have rearranged some of those skill spreads too. It also makes evaluating marriage proposals weird given you may not be able to look up the age, stats, etc. of the other party.

I didn't try out the criminal alley thing though as I was too busy filling out other companion roles first so I outgrew when it would have been useful income by the time I had room for a Roguery companion. It does still sound kind of barebones but I'm glad there's an effort to include that kind of game path.

Steam Profile
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    like being able to directly set what troop formation companions/family members are in even if they're not the captain.

OH THANK GOD

Fleeb wrote: »
    like being able to directly set what troop formation companions/family members are in even if they're not the captain.

OH THANK GOD

That feature was a big part of why I installed the beta.

Another is that the game now tries to balance out the different types of Wanderers so there's always at least one around suited for a particular role. That admittedly has some quirks as, say, the one Engineer available might be pretty bad though I suppose you can always hire and dismiss them to make the game spawn a better one. Another quirk is that the one smithing or whatever wanderer spawned in might be a quest npc you can't recruit so you need to do that quest before the game fixes the oversight.

But the main one is that it got rid of a graphical bug where smithing a weapon that had the blade size changed caused it to detach from the handle model and just looked wrong all the time.

Steam Profile
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    But the main one is that it got rid of a graphical bug where smithing a weapon that had the blade size changed caused it to detach from the handle model and just looked wrong all the time.

Update of the fucking year right here, that bugged me so much

JtgVX0H.png
    My 1.1 game has taken great advantage of the AI not being great at governing conquered settlements. I'm an independent clan still but have 4 fiefs, 3 of them in Battania because the Sturgians, Empire, and Vlandia did a crap job of keeping them from rebelling. Sadly for my progress, it does seem like the Khuzait settled on policies to boost loyalty as they actually seem to be holding on to half of Sturgia. Still, I do enjoy having methods to create a domain without being a part of a Kingdom first.

Steam Profile
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Oh hey, the main branch has updated to have the 1.1 beta changes and even a few more fixes! Let's update and start a new campaign to incorporate the lessons I learned from my beta branch character!

*hard crashes upon talking to a companion npc at the tavern*

Okay, let's try that again. Didn't have a chance to save so I'll have to make a new character. Okay, thankfully it didn't crash upon talking to this companion but they kind of suck so let's go to the next town . . .

*hard crashes on talking to a companion npc at the tavern*

I think I'm going to wait for a few more bug fix updates.

Steam Profile
    edited April 2023
    My current Bannerlord campaign was made in preparation for declaring an independent kingdom. This included things like having some int-focused companions that would be able to lead parties well thanks to Medicine and Stewardship skills to help face down the inevitable onslaught of other kingdoms, taking rebelling cities that were closer to a map border to limit directions I could be attacked in, and making friends with plenty of clans via breaking them out of jail during the frequent wars between kingdoms on the western side of the map so that I'll be able to recruit them later.

My character is nearing his mid 30s in both age and level with over 275 Steward, around 250 Charm, and high potential on other skills needed to lead armies and kingdoms. But looking at the map, it's clear that Vlandia has gotten very, very big and managed to select policies that keep rebellions in newly conquered cities at bay given a few days to stabilize so they'll be an existential threat to my future kingdom. It's clear I need to temporarily join Vlandia to bring it down from the inside. Since I have perks that let me recover Influence I spend on votes that don't pass, I can make other clans burn through Influence on pointless votes and then do things like call for vassals to be evicted once no one can oppose my vote. This both weakens the Kingdom and frees up the clan to be recruited into my own later and I've seen other players render a Kingdom empty but for the ruling clan with this tactic.

So I make my way over to Dethbert and pledge my sword after making sure the Vlandian wars with Sturgia and Battania are over as those would have threatened my existing holdings. They're only at war with the Aserai and I help out with some fights here and there, taking full advantage of my entire 200 person army being high level troops that can fight heavily outnumbered and win. I get plenty of prisoners and loot and during one of my trips to drop off captured nobles at Lageta I get a notice that Dethbert has died in battle and a new ruler needs to be chosen.

So anyway, I'm now king of Vlandia thanks to all those nobles I broke out of jail liking me way more than any of the other Vlandians despite only being part of the kingdom for less than two seasons.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2023
    Patch 1.2 is in Beta, and is a pretty good one (with a severe bug). https://www.taleworlds.com/en/News/535

It basically folds in a few mods with extra improvements, and with the systems in base game there may be some sweet mods in the future.

Kingdoms go poof if they don't have fiefs

Weather system: adds snow and rain. Both effects slow cavalry down and make it harder to prepare sieges. Active snow and rain affect both missile speed and accuracy, and it's a pretty huge debuff to damage. This combined with changes to autoresolve really hurts Kuzaits in a lot of situations (which I'm fine with). Infantry armies are now bastions of consistency, taking no weather penalties and almost no autoresolve penalties.

Workshops: warehouses were added, so instead of dumping raw materials into the market and just helping out random caravans you can actually give it to your workshop, which is nice

Combat: they implemented a lot of stuff from the RTS and combat balance mods.
    1. Enemies block and parry a lot more, which is absolutely frustrating as all fucking get out, because there's nothing like doing passes at looters on your steed at max speed, swinging a 10-pound two-handed axe, hitting them right at the apex and having them casually deflect it with their tier-0 weapons 10 times in a row. The game desperately needs guard crushes.
    2. You can now target enemy formations for your troops! So now you can actually tell your guys to go murder archers instead of getting the formations close and hoping.
    3. Enemy formations seem completely fucked right now, though. Like sometimes I'll face off against 200+ enemies and all they have is an infantry block and then another with all the other units in it. Definitely not working right
    4. Troop AI is supposedly better across the board, and it does seem like melee cavalry is better at picking weapons that will actually hit enemies.
    5. Archers don't just run in to their deaths if you put them on charge or sergeant control, which is nice.

The huge bug right now is audio-based. Orders, combat cries and death noises are basically locked to 100% audio (master volume does NOT change it) and there's basically no proximity taken into account, so it sounds like every single noise is coming directly from your character. You shot a guy in the neck at 70 yards? Enjoy that death gurgle at max volume right like your dude just died. It's about as close to unplayable as possible, but I haven't checked for fixes yet.

EDIT - the other secretly huge change is that soldiers can die from bombardment in battles. Before it would only knock people out so it was hard to give a shit, but with your dudes getting killed in droves it changes how you perform the siege phase.

A duck! on