As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassins Creed:It has 5 S's

• Options
    lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ive been watching this for a long time now, if its half of what it says its going to be, it will be epic.

lazerbeard on
  • Options
    canemaquiluscanemaquilus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Uhh do you even know what the Crusades were?

A foray into the middle east for the done so for the essential purpose of material gain and aquisition of territory for the catholic church and the established powers of europe?

Making it quite similar to modern day iraq auctually.

That aside any game that portrays a clash of religions, with one being labled as the "enemy" is going to make me a little uncomfortable, given the way the world is going.

canemaquilus on
  • Options
    lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    well, seeing that he is an assassin, he probably doesn't care too much about either side, he probably works for the highest bidder, and its very possible that he works domestically inside the city of Jerusalem the fact that its the crusades just is a convenient backdrop which lets him get away with a lot more than he could anywhere else, because shit was crazy at that time.

lazerbeard on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd fucking tack jesus christ to the cross if the gameplay was good enough.

seems like something tailored to the Wiimote to me.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    lazerbeard wrote:
    well, seeing that he is an assassin, he probably doesn't care too much about either side, he probably works for the highest bidder, and its very possible that he works domestically inside the city of Jerusalem the fact that its the crusades just is a convenient backdrop which lets him get away with a lot more than he could anywhere else, because shit was crazy at that time.

You may want to look up "Hashshashin" on wikipedia. He quite likely works and is very loyal to a certain side if they're being even mildly accurate.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Uhh do you even know what the Crusades were?

A foray into the middle east for the done so for the essential purpose of material gain and aquisition of territory for the catholic church and the established powers of europe?

Making it quite similar to modern day iraq auctually.

That aside any game that portrays a clash of religions, with one being labled as the "enemy" is going to make me a little uncomfortable, given the way the world is going.

I'm perfectly fine with you being uncomfortable with that, as long as you are not suggesting I have to subscribe to your views and not play the game.
    It's not like anyone can really defend the game for making you uncomfortable, its not like the game is in any way a moral tour de force.
    It's a pity you wont be playing it, but that's ok, we'll play it lots for you.
    Also, for allah.

Geddit?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Social Stealth thing, whereby you dont just have to be in shadows to sneak but can be doing things normally, was the one anomaly with all stealth games.

This looks so good.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I found the official premise of the game for all those worried about religion versus religion thingies.

"The Third Crusade is tearing the Holy Land apart. You are an elite Assassin sent to stop the hostilities by suppressing the powers on both the Crusader and Saracen sides. But as you carry out your missions, a conspiracy begins to unfold. You find yourself tangled up in a conflict that threatens not only the Holy Land, but the entire world."

So he's there to stop both sides. Neither is the "bad guy". So rest easy.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I found the official premise of the game for all those worried about religion versus religion thingies.

"The Third Crusade is tearing the Holy Land apart. You are an elite Assassin sent to stop the hostilities by suppressing the powers on both the Crusader and Saracen sides. But as you carry out your missions, a conspiracy begins to unfold. You find yourself tangled up in a conflict that threatens not only the Holy Land, but the entire world."

Lame. Why can't I just be a drugged-up Hashashin raping bastard crusader's faces and infiltrating the palaces of insubordinate princes to leave notes on their bedstands warning them that they aren't untouchable? I mean, it happened, so why not portray it?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Lame. Why can't I just be a drugged-up Hashashin raping bastard crusader's faces and infiltrating the palaces of insubordinate princes to leave notes on their bedstands warning them that they aren't untouchable? I mean, it happened, so why not portray it?
    Political correctness means ignoring history to avoid offending others. It seems.

I want to play your game :(

Suriko on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zephos wrote:

hahaha

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    skace wrote:
    Zephos wrote:

hahaha
    "While in control of the lance of Longinus, move the wiimote forwards in a thrusting motion, and then in a left-to-right arc."
    "Drawing pentagrams on Jesus's chest will be frowned upon by the crowd."

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Mainly because most of that stuff is legends. I found some interesting stuff about them, if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Hashshashin

An interesting quote:
    This constant religious estrangement would eventually see them go so far as allying with the Occidental Christians against Muslims on a number of occasions. Their connections to mainstream Islam were tangential at best.
    Whoops.

Also, probably the most interesting quote:
    The group transformed the act of murder into a system directed largely against Seljuk Muslim rulers who had been persecuting their sect. They were meticulous in killing the targeted individual, seeking to do so without any additional casualties and innocent loss of life, although they were careful to cultivate their terrifying reputation by slaying their victims in public, often in mosques. Typically they approached using a disguise; their weapon of choice was a dagger, rejecting poison, bows and other weapons that allowed the attacker to escape. For unarmed combat, the Hashshashin practiced a fighting style called Janna which incorporates striking techniques, grappling and low kicks. However, under no circumstances did they commit suicide, preferring to be killed by their captors.

There are also, possibly apocryphal, stories that they used their well-known deadliness for political goals without necessarily killing. For example, a victim, usually high-placed, might one morning find a Hashshashin dagger lying on their pillow upon awakening. This was a plain hint to the targeted individual that he was safe nowhere, that maybe even his inner group of servants had been infiltrated by the cult, and that whatever course of action had brought him into conflict with them would have to be stopped if he wanted to live.

That first paragraph describes AC gameplay to a T, except maybe the fighting style.
    The whole article is an interesting read and makes me want the game even more.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zephos wrote:
    31583_L.jpg

The fact that someone this hot hasn't become a vapid whore, and is making her living by using her brain makes her so much hotter. I would drink her bathwater.

Sami on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sami wrote:
    Zephos wrote:
    [image of hotness]

The fact that someone this hot hasn't become a vapid whore, and is making her living by using her brain makes her so much hotter. I would drink her bathwater.

Well, she is teasing us by promising us orgasmic fun, then changing her release date.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    That would be ideal Morninglord.
    scootch wrote:
    As far as I know the game is actually set in the future, and you are somehow time travelling (Im sure someone somewhere at Ubi mentioned 'sensing through DNA or some shit') to the middle ages.

Hence why the game over screen is digital, and the scan lines in the trailer.

Either its some huge Matrix type construct, or its time travel. Which would make this already ridiculously cool game even cooler, like imagine using technology as a tool of fear (eg, shooting your target)

If I remember correctly it had to do with DNA holding memory and the people of the future are unlocking a hidden memory from a DNA of certain someone.

The story probably progresses as they unlock more memories.

From what they hinted at, it's some sort of research/training program for future assassins. Later games would have almost identical gameplay but be set in totally different time periods.

I have long been hoping for this. This would be so rad.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's probably just me, but the control setup makes me think of Fight Night 3 for some reason.

This would be a cool game setup for a Beyond Good and Evil Sequel, with the crowd control, finding your mark and getting the kill/shot however you can, getting away afterwards, etc.

I should mention i'm really looking forward to this game too. :D

Polago on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I know this means jack shit because it's coming from EBGamestop, but I've got a release list that says April for the PS3 version and TBA for the other two. Specifically, 4/02/07. Hell, it's pretty much guarunteed for March in Japan, and since Ubi is all Frenchy, they're not having to make a Japanese game 'Merkin, so it stands to reason that the launch dates shouldn't be that far apart.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The whole "WhoooOoOOOooo! You're playing from the futuuuuure!" thing makes me want to cry.
    What's the problem with just having an ordinary crippled-religious-assassin-during-the-crusades game I ask you?

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    SpongeCake wrote:
    The whole "WhoooOoOOOooo! You're playing from the futuuuuure!" thing makes me want to cry.
    What's the problem with just having an ordinary crippled-religious-assassin-during-the-crusades game I ask you?

I know. It's like...the vanilla setting wasn't awesome enough for them so they had to make it better...by tacking on some hackneyed cliche. Medieval:TW didn't need to include fucking magic sorcerers summoning demons from the pits of hell and futureMens deciding the fate of medieval kingdoms from their orbital platform high above a dried-up, nuclear-ridden earth of the future. It just needed big armies sheathed in metal charging at each other over and over again in glorious detail.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sami wrote:
    Zephos wrote:
    31583_L.jpg

Are you honestly THAT misogynistic?
    Honest to God, have you never met a smart and attractive female before?

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sami wrote:
    Zephos wrote:
    31583_L.jpg

Are you honestly THAT misogynistic?
    Honest to God, have you never met a smart and attractive female before?
    How often have you met really hot female game designers?

Couscous on
  • Options
    falling_stonefalling_stone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In regards to the potential anxiety or discomfort those of you are feeling about playing a game that involves a historical depiction in a world that has its own present day religious and political depravities...

aren't you putting a little too much thought into your escapism?

Seriously, we've all played games where you go and kill the Nazis about a hundred million times over. You've probably played them with your German descended friends! And calling "too soon" on this one, well, it was the Crusades. It happened 1000 years ago.
    Not to get too far off topic, but this is the same forum where I saw numerous posts about people being upset that there were no Children in Fable to kill!
    It's a game. Its supposed to be fun.

Would you feel guilty about reading a book that deals with subject matter like this?

Oh and BTW, the joke about jesus, made me spit coffee all over the damn desk. thanks. :lol:

falling_stone on
    This sig is too small - Elki :P
    snowfalling.jpg
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SpongeCake wrote:

I know. It's like...the vanilla setting wasn't awesome enough for them so they had to make it better...by tacking on some hackneyed cliche. Medieval:TW didn't need to include fucking magic sorcerers summoning demons from the pits of hell and futureMens deciding the fate of medieval kingdoms from their orbital platform high above a dried-up, nuclear-ridden earth of the future. It just needed big armies sheathed in metal charging at each other over and over again in glorious detail.

Wait...are those things in Medieval:TW? Because if so, I'm buying it RIGHT NOW.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SpongeCake wrote:

It depends how it's handled. I can think of a few ways that setting (or at least, what little we know of it) could be given some decent narrative depth.

japan on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    japan wrote:
    SpongeCake wrote:

It depends how it's handled. I can think of a few ways that setting (or at least, what little we know of it) could be given some decent narrative depth.

The only way I can see it being useful or needed is if this was just some run of the mill medieval hack and slash and they needed a twist. As it is Holy-Land Assassin is unique enough to not warrant tacking on some shitty extra gubbinz which will, in my mind, totally take away from the entire uniqueness of the setting.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That this game is using historical events as a backdrop that does not relate to WW2 alone is enough to warrant the purchase. As far as I'm concerned, the amazing looking gameplay is just a bathtub of frosting on top. They'd better release a demo soon.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm wondering whether to get this for the PC or 360.

Decisions decisions....

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    SpongeCake wrote:

Wait...are those things in Medieval:TW? Because if so, I'm buying it RIGHT NOW.
    I have to ask, what did you expect to be in it?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    didnt Kristen Bell say in some interview that the game has some [spoiler:dd1dd280c6]scifi twist or something about memories?[/spoiler:dd1dd280c6]

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That designer woman is hot.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I only come back to this thread to see if any more Jade pics have been linked.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Game looks neat. Gameinformer had a nice cover article about it months ago and it still looks fabulous. Of course, that was back when this was a PS3 exclusive and before Ubisoft went port happy.

I'm glad to see it will be gracing my computer and I yet again dodge a reason to buy a PS3.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    am i guilty for assuming Jade Raymond was a know-nothing cause she worked for Electric Playground/G4?

I didnt know! I didnt know who she was or what she did. I figured "attractive woman on G4. Gotta be stupid"

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "G4 stupid"

fixed

OT, A C looks pretty awesome. I've always liked seeing how far I can push any stealth mechanics, so I like the idea of the social stealth. First heard of this game in the Game Informer (yeah, I know) article, and was getitng all hot over the pics of him looking down onto the street and the blending into a crowd.

EDIT: Reading is good. Yes, will be on PS3.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really like how they're trying to do something different with the controls on traditional controllers. It's not just an attack button, and a jump button, etc. Cool stuff.

bruin on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Airan wrote:

Decisions decisions....
    I say 360. No worries about hardware and framerate, and this games seems like it would be a lot more fun with a controller than a mouse and keyboard.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    fogeyman wrote:
    Airan wrote:

Decisions decisions....
    I say 360. No worries about hardware and framerate, and this games seems like it would be a lot more fun with a controller than a mouse and keyboard.

First issue I agree with, but there are pc gamepads.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    fogeyman wrote:
    Airan wrote:

Decisions decisions....

First issue I agree with, but there are pc gamepads.
    Like the wired 360 pad.

bruin on