As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neighbour's Dog is Hate Incarnate

DoraBDoraB Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Spoiler'd for long.
So early this year, our neighbours, with whom our backyard shares a chainlink fence, got another dog in addition to their elderly black lab. This dog was super young at the time... I don't know the breed, she's just a short-hair, light brown colour, medium sized, long legs, floppy ears. She would see me and start barking excitedly, running along the fence, I'd go over, pet her, she'd do the OMG ATTENTION hand licks and tail wags, and all was gravy.

Now, almost a year later, the same dog hates my guts with no provocation at all and it is really starting to piss me off. Whenever I go out in my backyard, she goes ballistic. Barking, growling, lunging at the end of her rope... not the "pay attention to me" bark you hear from dogs, a genuinely angry, frustrated barking that just goes on NONSTOP. I don't know why she's doing this as we have NEVER had a negative encounter. She just seems to have morphed into this asshole dog the older she's gotten.

It's not like I've drastically changed my hair or anything that would otherwise cause her to not recognise me. To my knowledge I have not recently become possessed by a demon or the soul of a serial killer or anything that would make her suddenly smell evil on me. I have tested myself on other dogs, and they actually seem to enjoy my presence, or at the very least are indifferent. I used to try to go over to the fence when she started barking at me and be like, "Bella, what's wrong, puppy? You remember me!" but it's got no effect so I've just started ignoring her. I don't yell at her, I don't even look at her or go near the fence, but she won't shut up. I'm not afraid of her, but I know if she ever did charge at me I'd have to seriously hurt her to get her away from me.

I know it's not the dog's fault; she's just untrained. Her owners leave her outside ALL. THE. TIME. Even if nobody is out there, she's barking nonstop because she's lonely. They will leave her out until midnight. I have never seen them outside with her at all after their initial OMG NEW DOGGY infatuation wore off. Because she has that typical "I'm still a crazy puppy!" energy, I think she annoys them, so their solution is to their lock her in an empty room upstairs, or leave her tied in the back yard. So naturally she's had no training at all, and now she defaults to hours of barking and freaking out at anyone she sees on the sidewalk. They bought a shock collar to control her barking, which is bad I know, but the battery wore out. Further, when she starts barking, their OTHER dog, who usually just ignores me, thinks something is wrong and SHE starts growling and barking too. They actually tried to give her away, which was a few days of blessed silence, but now she's back because the people they gave her to can't deal with her either.

I'm just sick of being unable to go into my own damn backyard and work in my garden without her freaking out. The neighbours do not care, and even if they're home they'll just let her go on without end. I'd just really like to be able to work outside with my husband on his days off, but the dog just freaks out and won't shut up no matter how much time goes by. My husband will hop the fence and pet her (she adores him and I think she thinks he's part of her pack) but she just goes ballistic when she sees me. I'm just starting to hate that dog. I don't want to, because, again, it's not her fault, but she acts like she wants to kill me, and her barking keeps me awake at night.

Any tips on what I can do to make peace with this stupid mutt? I really don't want to be the one to train my neighbour's dog, but since they're not going to, anything I can do to get some quiet would be amazing.

TL;DR Neighbour's dog used to be fine with me, now she hates my guts for no reason and barks at me nonstop in an extremely aggressive fashion. Would like to be able to go outside into my own yard without being barked/snarled/growled at incessantly. Neighbours could care less apparently. TIPS PLZ.

DoraB on

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If the dog is showing dangerous amount of aggression towards you then it's in you best interest to report the dog to animal control.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If your city has noise laws, report any excessive barking to the proper authorities. Typically, after 11 PM is when you can report noise disturbances. Like CH said, if it looks as though it is a danger, report it to animal control.

Other than that, move.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    have you talked to your neighbors?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Forbe! wrote: »
    If your city has noise laws, report any excessive barking to the proper authorities. Typically, after 11 PM is when you can report noise disturbances. Like CH said, if it looks as though it is a danger, report it to animal control.

Other than that, move.

This. If nothing else, the dog is not in a healthy environment, and animal control or whatever authorities would be in charge of a situation like this can get things sorted out. You get peace and quiet, and the dog gets a good environment.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I would recommend talking to the neighbors and expressing your concern. You could offer the dog treats, but check with the owners first. That will win you some favor with the dog, since it will associate you with a positive reward.

It sounds like the dog gets no attention or exercise. That will have some serious negative affects on a dog, which you are starting to see.

If the neighbors are unresponsive to your concerns and requests, then it might be time to get animal control involved.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I would recommend talking to the neighbors and expressing your concern. You could offer the dog treats, but check with the owners first. That will win you some favor with the dog, since it will associate you with a positive reward.

It sounds like the dog gets no attention or exercise. That will have some serious negative affects on a dog, which you are starting to see.

If the neighbors are unresponsive to your concerns and requests, then it might be time to get animal control involved.

this

everything in this is exactly what I wanted to say before.

you can also ask to take the dog for a walk if you want to bond with it and it looks like you can.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

this

you can also ask to take the dog for a walk if you want to bond with it and it looks like you can.

What? It sounds like the dog is doing what most people encourage their dogs to do, guarding their property. It's unfortunate that you have every right to be there but try explaining that to a dog.

Don't go up to it and try to offer it stuff. It'll probably bite you. And don't offer to walk it, if my neighbour offered to walk my dog I would think there was something wrong with them.

Only thing you can do really is report it to animal control. It'll piss your neighbours off but they have a responcibility to keep their dog under control.

Casual on
  • Options
    Dr. GeroDr. Gero Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Casual's advice is sound.

Dr. Gero on
  • Options
    WalterWalter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Try an ultrasonic dog repeller. My neighbor's poodle barked non-stop from 9-2 every day. I brought it up with my them and they pulled some bullshit. They put a bark collar on the dog to appease me but didn't turn it on. I got sick of not being able to study without hearing "YAP YAP YAP YAP" or sit in my own back yard so I bought this one from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Parade-Dog-Repeller-Training/dp/B000E8O4UA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292050070&sr=8-1

The picture on the box shows a German Shepard down for the count so I figured it would work on a poodle. After being tortured for months by this little dog it was so satisfying to hit that button and have it immediately shut up. It no longer barks at me and if it starts barking at random stuff I hit it with the repeller once and have piece for the rest of the day.

Walter on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My husband will hop the fence and pet her (she adores him and I think she thinks he's part of her pack) but she just goes ballistic when she sees me.

Er, is that dog sexually mature? One possible reason is that she sees you as a threat cause you're female if she sees your husband as part of the pack.

I don't think there is really anything that you could do, it's clear the dog needs training or possibly even to get fixed and your neighbors aren't going to do a damn thing aside from half assed crap to get you to leave them alone.

Yeah just do what Casual said.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Casual wrote: »

this

What? It sounds like the dog is doing what most people encourage their dogs to do, guarding their property. It's unfortunate that you have every right to be there but try explaining that to a dog.

Don't go up to it and try to offer it stuff. It'll probably bite you. And don't offer to walk it, if my neighbour offered to walk my dog I would think there was something wrong with them.

Only thing you can do really is report it to animal control. It'll piss your neighbours off but they have a responcibility to keep their dog under control.

no, its pretty clear the dog is unsocialized and ignored by its owners.

it has pent up energy that its not using and it needs human contact. calling animal control right off the bat is not only incredibly irresposible and passive aggresive but possibly incredibly harmful to the animal whose owners can feel like they're forced to abandon it.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Maybe not walk, at least not at first, but it might be a good idea to go over and ask your neighbours if you can acclimatize the dog to you with their supervision. I did the same thing when some new neighbours moved in next door, and my dog wouldn't stop barking at them until they got better acquainted.

Blarghy on
  • Options
    Havok417Havok417 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Casual gave good advice.

Its likely that the bond the dog has with its owners has caused it to be VERY territorial and defensive.This could have to do with the breed of the dog and how it has been cared for.There is little you can do but talk to your neighbors about it.I'm not a huge dog lover but spending time with my fiances 3 dogs has brought me around to understanding them.Its a give and take with pets.It either needs to see you in a non-threatening capacity or it needs to understand your dominance.

Havok417 on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My theory (I am not a dog behavior person): At an early age, it was learning to bond socially and imprinting on its owners. Puppies are usually outgoing and friendly and rarely show signs of aggression because they haven't established who is friend or foe, or more precisely, who is the leader of the "pack" and who the members of the pack are. As they grow into adults, they figure this out, and start establishing boundaries. If it is a loyal and family-oriented breed, it will start barking and growling at folks who haven't been established as part of the pack.

This may not be an example of poor ownership, although that's certainly one of the possibilities. It may simply be a defensive and loyal breed and has learned that you aren't part of its family. You might want to ask if you can have supervised visits with the owners involved so that the dog can get used to you and accept you as a more dominant member of the pack.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

this

it has pent up energy that its not using and it needs human contact. calling animal control right off the bat is not only incredibly irresposible and passive aggresive but possibly incredibly harmful to the animal whose owners can feel like they're forced to abandon it.

That is one possible explanation, not the most likely one. Bottom line if it isn't immediately obvious to you why it's not a good idea to march right up to a growling dog and offer it food you should not be giving anyone else dog advice.

This dog is being defensive guarding it's territory like most dogs do, it's why a lot of people have dogs. You can't expect a dog to realise a small chain link fence is where it's territory ends. As far as it's concerned everything it can see/piss on is his territory. If you walk up to it the dog will view it as a challenge and step up it's aggression.

Furthermore calling animal control if your neighbours have an uncontrolled aggressive dog loose is NOT petty or passive aggressive. Waiting to get bitten before you say anything is not the way to go here. As a dog owner myself I can say that if I knew my dog was aggressive and I let it roam around unsupervised where it can bite people I would be in breach of my legal responsibilities.

It's not the OP's job to sort out their relationship with their dog. The OP is however entitled to walk around his own yard without fearing for his safety.

Casual on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Call animal control and report the dog is being mistreated

tofu on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

this

How is it irresponsible? they've already tried to abandon it officially, and pretty much are abandoning it in their backyard. She's tried to bring it up, and they don't seem to care. Calling animal control, or the humane society sounds like a reasonable solution to me.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    nuka wrote: »
    My husband will hop the fence and pet her (she adores him and I think she thinks he's part of her pack) but she just goes ballistic when she sees me.

Er, is that dog sexually mature? One possible reason is that she sees you as a threat cause you're female if she sees your husband as part of the pack.

I don't think there is really anything that you could do, it's clear the dog needs training or possibly even to get fixed and your neighbors aren't going to do a damn thing aside from half assed crap to get you to leave them alone.

Yeah just do what Casual said.

I know a dog who was abused by the man in the house she grew up in, the dog ended up with a nice family that I know in the end but she still won't trust men. It took years before she warmed up to the father in the house and around other men she runs away or becomes aggressive.

Not saying your lady neighbor is hitting your dog, but dogs do most definitely differ between male and female humans.

The ultrasonic thing sounds pretty torturous. I'd go to animal control first since the owner doesn't give a rat's ass.

Movitz on
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh god many i feel sorry for you, since im having similar issues with my neighbor too. except his dog has attacked me twice, is always off a leash outside, my neighbors have seen it attack a fucking baby in a baby carriage and aggressively charge everyone.

My wife and I have called animal control 12 times, to no effect until i complained to my city councilman. so now i have an aggresive animal hearing in a few days. the part that sucks fucking shit is he then went down to the court house and filed a peace order versus me and my wife for get this "harrassment for calling animal control 12 times, and malicious destruction of property." not sure where the last part came from but now we have to hire a lawyer to fight this since i hold a clearance and my wife is bonded.

have signed and notarized letters from 5 neighbors backing my side plus video and pictures of the dog off a leash on my property, but im still super upset and nervous. sucks balls.

NargorothRiP on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    what about putting in those privacy strips that they make for chainlink fences? I realize it's an imperfect solution, but it might reduce the extremeness of the dog's reaction if it can't see you (depends on the dog... most are supposed to act nose-first but some are more centered around sight or hearing). At a minimum, then you wouldn't see the dog freaking out at you, just hear it...

ihmmy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I meant to respond to this sooner but it's been a redonkulously hectic week. Thanks for all the replies!

I have talked to the neighbours about it, which I think is what lead to first the bark collar, and then them trying to give the dog away. We don't have much of a relationship with them (let's call them Bob and Joan); months ago they invited us over for a backyard party with their family, and after we responded with awkward silence to some racist jokes that were bounced around, we've all kind of apparently silently recognised we don't have anything in common, so we stick to nods and waves when we see each other outside. Joan works all day, but Bob is home because he's unemployed or whatever. He just leaves her outside because, I believe, she's untrained and he doesn't want to deal with her. I think Bella has all the food and water she needs, she's just ridiculously undisciplined and lonely because she's outside all the time. I was outside once when Joan was there and she made it pretty clear she thinks Bella is a bad dog and is "Bob's" dog, not hers, which seems like a pretty lazy attitude to me. I did overhear her complaining to a friend once that Bella eats dog poop in the backyard... well, clean it up when it happens then!

I was originally going to say I don't think the dog would actually hurt me, but I'm not sure. I've known a lot of dogs who were super aggressive barkers, but never came close to hurting anyone. Then again, I was outside this morning uncovering plants (we're in Florida in the middle of a cold snap) and she was charging back and forth barking and snarling and nearly choking herself on her collar in an effort to get at the fence. (She was already barking at someone working on the other side of the back fence, but she went ballistic when she saw me.) There was one time months ago when she got out and was running around the front yards; my husband caught her in our driveway and when I walked over she barked a bit but put her ears down in a sort of submissive fashion and cringed back. I petted her head a little and that was it. The next day she still reacted as if I was a threatening stranger.

I don't really want to call Animal Control if I don't have to, although I'd feel bad if she ever actually hurt anyone. It's just getting absolutely insane. I just want to be able to hang out in my own backyard without needing earplugs. I did consider that, as Nuka suggested, it might be because she sees me as a threat to the Alpha Female position and thinks my husband is "hers". I hadn't really considered the idea that Joan might be hurting her... I haven't seen any evidence of that, and I hope it's not the case. Since we own the house, we don't intend to move, and I don't really want to do or say anything that would cause any outright hostility between us and our neighbours. No need to make the living situation awkward.

I guess I'm just going to have to woman up and try to catch Bob outside and talk to him about it frankly. I admit to being a wuss and hating confrontation, but the only alternative is for me to stew in doggie hatred since they clearly can't be bothered to do anything about it otherwise. Do you guys have any suggestions on how best to approach him and what to say? I don't want him to feel like I'm saying "Do something about your fucking dog asshole or I'm going to call animal control"... even though I guess that's probably what I'm saying. I don't think they're bad people, I just don't think they thought owning a second dog through and they're clearly not responsible enough to deal with it. (I think they're both in the early thirties or something, but apparently responsibility doesn't always come with age.)

At least I can say it's taught me a newfound tolerance for my cat's tendency to serenade us at 2 AM from the bathroom tub with his weird, Chewbacca howl whenever he decides it's too quiet.

DoraB on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Don't feel bad about calling animal control. They aren't assassins or anything.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Honestly, talking to the owners won't do you any good I think and just stir up resentment. It's obvious they have no idea how to care for an animal nor the desire to learn.

Call animal control

tofu on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Don't go up to it and try to offer it stuff. It'll probably bite you.

Throwing a biscuit over the fence isn't going to get anyone killed, and if it changes the dog's behavior, then its an easy fix for the OP.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010

Throwing a biscuit over the fence isn't going to get anyone killed, and if it changes the dog's behavior, then its an easy fix for the OP.

For the most part, it will just teach it that barking viciously = treats.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

It won't change the dog's behavior

tofu on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    tofu wrote: »

It won't change the dog's behavior

It is pretty basic classical conditioning. Instead of ringing a bell, the cue that a cookie is about to appear is the dog seeing DoraB. If the dog gets a cookie every time it sees DoraB that will change its emotional association. (think pavlov and his dogs)

Yes, you may also end up rewarding the barking and lunging, but you will have changed the emotions behind it. While it may not be any quieter, it will be safer if the dog is "performing" the "trick" of barking and lunging in the hopes of getting a cookie from this person it likes rather than actually being aggressive/territorial/bored/scared/whatever. And it is highly likely that the behaviors the dog is exhibiting are a direct result of its emotional state and changing the emotional state will change the behavior.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    edited December 2010

this

That is one possible explanation, not the most likely one. Bottom line if it isn't immediately obvious to you why it's not a good idea to march right up to a growling dog and offer it food you should not be giving anyone else dog advice.

This dog is being defensive guarding it's territory like most dogs do, it's why a lot of people have dogs. You can't expect a dog to realise a small chain link fence is where it's territory ends. As far as it's concerned everything it can see/piss on is his territory. If you walk up to it the dog will view it as a challenge and step up it's aggression.

Furthermore calling animal control if your neighbours have an uncontrolled aggressive dog loose is NOT petty or passive aggressive. Waiting to get bitten before you say anything is not the way to go here. As a dog owner myself I can say that if I knew my dog was aggressive and I let it roam around unsupervised where it can bite people I would be in breach of my legal responsibilities.

It's not the OP's job to sort out their relationship with their dog. The OP is however entitled to walk around his own yard without fearing for his safety.

first, its a dog behind a fence on a line. that is not an uncontrolled agressive dog loose on a terrified neighborhood.

second, while I'm sure there are people who get dogs for home protection... a vast majority get them as pets to be a member of the family.

third, have you ever heard the saying 'his bark was worse than his bite'? that is true for most dogs who will bark at strangers but aren't going to aggressively bite someone just because they bark alot. assuming that a barking dog is aggressive is like assuming a guy with muscles is a thug.
    tofu wrote:
    Call animal control and report the dog is being mistreated

he's not, he's being neglected.
    How is it irresponsible? they've already tried to abandon it officially, and pretty much are abandoning it in their backyard. She's tried to bring it up, and they don't seem to care. Calling animal control, or the humane society sounds like a reasonable solution to me.

The OP said they tried to give the dog away which is synonymous with 'find a new home that's not ours'.

abandoning would be driving off into the woods, letting the dog free and driving away. they are vastly different actions.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    The argument is over now.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I know they're not animal assassins. :) I just didn't want to have to go that far, I guess. My only experience with animal control is the sort of thing you see on, like, A&E or something where they show up and take animals away in a van, and tears and anger ensues. I think I'm going to try one last time to talk to them, then at least I can't say I didn't try as hard as I could. I just really don't want to introduce a lot of hostility into a situation with people who are so close by. Though considering how long this has gone on, I doubt I'm going to be popular with them either way; I'm either going to be the bitch who nagged them about their dog until they had to pay for training or find it a new home, or the bitch who called animal services. Whatever, I've been called worse. At least if animal control does end up taking the dog away, or they do find her a new home, Bella will wind up with a family who cares about her and can give her the attention she needs.

I was kind of hoping someone would know some super-secret dog-fu trick to win her over, but I'm thankful for the advice I got instead anyway. :)

DoraB on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Neglecting a pet is mistreatment, it would not be inappropriate to contact animal control.

You could always do it anonymously too

tofu on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Animal Control will only take away an animal if they deem the home to be unfit, they don't just take away the pet because of a call. So yea, don't feel bad about calling them.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!