As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Relays now triggering! Still need an Electrical Engineer

Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
For a research project in need to control a three phase motor with a solid state motor reversing relay.

Specifically one of these

Struthers-Dunn 645RT Series

645RT_Series.JPG

I've got my motor wired up as shown on the wiring diagram (including the two included varistors in the R1 and R2 positions.

imageresizer?image=645RT_Wiring_Diagram.jpg&quality=75&size=100&IsRemote=False

I also have a 24V DC Voltage currently across the forward control input. The 24 volts is supplied by a 5A independent power supply.

However, I can't get it to trigger and switch my motor on.

Do any of you have experience with anything like this / is there something I'm missing?

signaturebighe7.jpg
Akilae729 on

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the maximum input on the specs says 80 mA.... 5A may be too much.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not sure if there are internal pulldowns, but just in case there aren't, have you attached a pulldown resistor between pins 7 and 8?
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

Nah, that probably means 5A max. Unless he is driving it from a current source, which would be really really really weird. :rotate:

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Not sure if there are internal pulldowns, but just in case there aren't, have you attached a pulldown resistor between pins 7 and 8?
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

Nah, that probably means 5A max. Unless he is driving it from a current source, which would be really really really weird. :rotate:

I tried to put a resistor in series with my control line to force a current of ~48mA. Still no effect.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So the relays are triggering now, HOWEVER, the forward control and the reverse control will not work if the two grounds are wired together.

I'm using a TTL board with a single ground and to get the controls to work, i need to physically disconnect the ground to the opposite control.

Is there a way to isolate these grounds electronically?

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg