As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SSX: "Deadly Descents" -- potentially less deadly, more tricky

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
We all said that we wanted a "next-gen" SSX game. Apparently, we should be careful what we wish for. :(

vga36.jpg

Witness this war crime of a teaser trailer

There is no sadface large enough to describe my feelings at this turn of events. Grimdark, dudebro, Call of Duty: Modern Snowboard ... the memes and jokes write themselves, but ...

... hush. Don't speak. Let's just try to remember ... the good times we had together.

SSX Tricky intro

SSX 3 intro

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It could still be a great game...

but I want my fun cartoony world back.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kinect exclusive?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Eh, pretty suspicious, but at least there's no guys with AKs chasing snowboarders around (yet).

Also, I recently found a copy of SSX 3 cheap, but it keeps freezing on my PS3. :(

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kinect exclusive?

congratulations

you just thought of the one thing that could actually make this game worse

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know how they possibly managed to do it, but they turned lighthearted extreme snowboarding into serious freakin' business.

Good game, EA. Good game.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kinect exclusive?

congratulations

you just thought of the one thing that could actually make this game worse

Requires the Tony Hawk: Shred board to do top-tier tricks!

I agree with the sentiment, though - I'd almost prefer to believe that this is an elaborate joke trailer to mock gritty/dark games before the real trailer comes out

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Checking around, I see one or two games-press people on Twitter warning not to knee-jerk respond to this trailer ... but it's immensely, immensely difficult not to. It's possible they're just playing to the meathead Spike TV demo, but my already tepid expectations for this new game have dropped even further.
    Kinect exclusive?

Why not? Let's gather all of the terrible ideas together and try to push it over the edge from "bad" back across to the "so bad it's good" category! :P

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If this is what it takes to get SSX back, well then, so be it. I'm not thrilled but I'll accept it.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So far it just seems like they're playing up that the mountain is "deadly," which I guess is alright. If they start talking about totalitarian governments and war, then I'm going to give up on this game.

EDIT: For now, I'm going to go along with the people saying not to have a knee-jerk reaction. Just going to wait and see. Also, is SSX 3 for Xbox backwards compatible on the 360? Maybe I should try that version...

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Official EA website.
    Redefining the SSX franchise, SSX: Deadly Descents will pit riders versus both mountain and man. Players will explore the story of a team who seek to be the first to descend the faces of the most treacherous mountain ranges on the planet. The team will travel the world to face the worst that Mother Nature can throw at them. From the peaks of the Himalayas, where the air is so thin that riders have to descend through the death zone at breakneck speeds to keep from blacking out, to the solid ice ranges of Antarctica, where a sunlit line is the only survival option when temperatures drop 50 degrees centigrade in the shade. And the mountain isn’t the only danger players will face. In SSX: Deadly Descents the first goal is to survive. The second, in true SSX fashion, is to look good doing it.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Dear EA,

"Reality" doesn't always mean "Good."

Especially when it comes to video games.

Just sayin'

<3 , Sweeney Tom

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Looks pretty awesome to me

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    EDIT: For now, I'm going to go along with the people saying not to have a knee-jerk reaction. Just going to wait and see. Also, is SSX 3 for Xbox backwards compatible on the 360? Maybe I should try that version...

I'm pretty sure it's not, sadly, but you will want to double-check with any official list you can find. I don't have a workable copy of Tricky anymore, but SSX 3 is one of the few GameCube discs I still have and will never part with.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Damn, maybe I should just plug in my PS2 then.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ssx3.jpg
    whoopsl.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It could still be a decent game! There is nothing to suggest it will be bad, just a stylistic change which isn't as fun-looking. Wonder if it will be motion controlled, traditionally controlled via pad, some kinda mixture, or different platforms will have different options?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This has got to be a joke.

The trailer really is just witty commentary on the CoD franchise and it's impact on the industry as a whole, right?

....right guys?

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    what the fuck is this

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »

The trailer really is just witty commentary on the CoD franchise and it's impact on the industry as a whole, right?

....right guys?

that's cute

the last bead of hope

desperately clinging on for dear life

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »

....right guys?

that's cute

the last bead of hope

desperately clinging on for dear life

Reading similar impressions across the Internet has me -- against my better judgment -- holding onto this as one last, final way to redeem this. Maybe it's the Tropic Thunder of gritty, military-themed snowboarding games?

Relevant Clone High clip incoming: [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rstDBusXjBg#t=08m46s]Xtreme Blue![/vidurl]

Lunker on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It could still be a decent game! There is nothing to suggest it will be bad, just a stylistic change which isn't as fun-looking. Wonder if it will be motion controlled, traditionally controlled via pad, some kinda mixture, or different platforms will have different options?
    This info comes from a source "familiar with development of the game," who says this new SSX will take the series "back to its roots." The source apparently did not specifically explain in what ways that'll be, but the source did explain how the new SSX will be completely different from all past SSX games: it'll feature controls similar to EA's Skate franchise, with players flicking the right analog stick to perform tricks. This would make sense, considering the source also says much of the Skate team is behind this new SSX game's development.

Even if its just a rumor, this worries me more than the trailer. I don't want skate controls.

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This is...uhh...well. Yeah. Hmm.

I like how there's literally no indication it's an SSX game until the title appears. And by "like" I mean "hate." If someone had sent this to me with no comment as to what it is I'd think it was Black Ops 2 or something.

Homestar Gunner on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    so far the only thing i saw in that trailer that looked like it took SSX "back to its roots" was the fact that there was snowboarding in it

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It looks dark, gritty, blah blah blah.

There's one thing to take away from the trailer.

That crazy unrealistic jump with a flip/twist/whatever at 0:43? That's the SSX we all love. If I can pull ridiculously impossible tricks off, this game will be love.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I like how there's literally no indication it's an SSX game until the title appears. And by "like" I mean "hate." If someone had sent this to me with no comment as to what it is I'd think it was Black Ops 2 or something.

That's not true.

The helicopter had a picture of Elise on it's side.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Eugh why do we have to explore a story in every genre.

The story is that you're a snowboarder.

You slide down mountains and do tricks to win things.

Thats the extent of the story I want to explore.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Eugh why do we have to explore a story in every genre.

The story is that you're a snowboarder.

You slide down mountains and do tricks to win things.

Thats the extent of the story I want to explore.

As long as the story goes something like:

You are a snowboarder. Are you a bad enough dude to conquer this mountain?

I'll be happy.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    This is disappointing. SSX defined over-the-top, larger-than-life, and fun-because-there's-no-fucking-way-anyone-could-do-this-shit-in-real-life. It was upbeat, had a charming presentation of being ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous, and above all it was a fucking blast to play.

This new game appears to take a shit on all of the above. Granted, it is just a teaser. I'll keep my eye on it only because I'm curious what they do with squirrel suits because that could potentially be awesome.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Call of Duty: White Ops?

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

That's not true.

I think it says just as much that I didn't notice it until the third time I watched it.

Homestar Gunner on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

That's not true.

I think it says just as much that I didn't notice it until the third time I watched it.

That was the first thing I noticed! Hoping it takes the fun aspect back tho, fuck I men why jump at NIGHT on unmarked course, GIMME bin jumps, insane characters and fun BRiGHT visuals.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've never played an SSX game before but this looks actually interesting. Perhaps you'll get to rescue people off of ski lifts or something.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, I played the living hell out of Tricky when it was out. I'm trying real hard not to lose faith with this trailer...

Dammit, I want to spin my snowboard around my neck like a helicopter! Not this DarkAndGritty trope-worthy mush!

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was praying to the guy in the trailer to rip off his hood and reveal himself as Psymon.

I have some degree of hope for this.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If they don't bring back the cast for this game, heads will roll.

Actually, just Psymon; I could take or leave the rest.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    My favorites from Tricky were Eddie, Elise, Psymon, Mac, Zoe, and Moby. Well, pretty much everyone was cool, really.
    Also holy shit I just looked up SSX art and found out Daniel Dociu, of Guild Wars fame (most of the loading screen art in those games is his), did some concept work for SSX.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    It looks dark, gritty, blah blah blah.

There's one thing to take away from the trailer.

That crazy unrealistic jump with a flip/twist/whatever at 0:43? That's the SSX we all love. If I can pull ridiculously impossible tricks off, this game will be love.

Let's do shifting gravity SSX now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEbMBSGV-VA&feature=related

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Aforementioned Gallery
    Also that site has a ton of other art, including fanart that ranges from passable to terrible plus entire artbook's worth of official material.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tricky was easily my favorite SSX game.

I don't...want this.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I was praying to the guy in the trailer to rip off his hood and reveal himself as Psymon.

I have some degree of hope for this.

I really thought this was the angle they were going for.

He tears of the helmet and does a massive "WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!" onto the mountain while some Daft Punk plays or something.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
This discussion has been closed.