Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Wedding Cheese [chat]

1484951535456

Posts

  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    We have a new guy who's job is to improve process and actually make the sales people accountable. He just put a spray bottle full of water on my desk and permission to spray sales people doing something dumb. This man is growing on me.

    It's "whose"!!

    *sprays Thomamelas with water spritzer bottle*

    this approach sounds like it would just piss people off

    You've never dealt with Salespeople, have you?

    Thomamelas on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    I thought people weren't born with the knowledge to have sex inborn. Like there have been cases of religious couples visiting doctors and finding out they're doing it wrong.

    Or is this one of those 'little known facts!'?

    wait you're NOT supposed to use the ears for...

    oh you can, it's just not...

    oh I see

    Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    oh derp derp

    Syndalis I should have just said that the bird-of-paradise display is a Lek behavior

    Arch on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    also where is that butterfly stuff Arch I don't got all day

    *spritz*

    It has something to do with them being able to use the sun as a compass, but i got distracted by other ethology research instead

    *spritz spritz*

    bad scientist, very bad! Don't make me get out the newspaper

    *spritz*

    Monarch butterflies use a time-regulated solar compass!

    I'm sorry! I will be better!

    Arch on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hey uh is netflix streaming down for anyone else?

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Q is the hardest raidboss.

    Cinders on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    also where is that butterfly stuff Arch I don't got all day

    *spritz*

    It has something to do with them being able to use the sun as a compass, but i got distracted by other ethology research instead

    *spritz spritz*

    bad scientist, very bad! Don't make me get out the newspaper

    *spritz*

    I think it was them that have a pretty accurate internal clock that is set every day by the sun

    so they can look at how much the "local" sun-time is wrong compared to what it would be where they just were

    and that way figure out how far they moved

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    also where is that butterfly stuff Arch I don't got all day

    *spritz*

    It has something to do with them being able to use the sun as a compass, but i got distracted by other ethology research instead

    *spritz spritz*

    bad scientist, very bad! Don't make me get out the newspaper

    *spritz*

    Monarch butterflies use a time-regulated solar compass!

    I'm sorry! I will be better!

    *spritz spritz spritz*

    oh no now you appear to be all wet

    I guess you'll have to take off all your clothes

    Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Mori Mori Mori wait

    if you're doing this, PM me with a good email address and I'll send you a ten-day trial code

    set that up and then activate it with your account and you'll have forty days right off the bat, and you'll get a couple special temp powers, and I'll get an awesome new crewman

    Oh shit, that's right. I'll still need to buy the game because I can't afford the bandwidth for an 8 GB install, but it sounds like there are still some other benefits. I'll PM you soon.

    Silas Brown on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    We have a new guy who's job is to improve process and actually make the sales people accountable. He just put a spray bottle full of water on my desk and permission to spray sales people doing something dumb. This man is growing on me.

    It's "whose"!!

    *sprays Thomamelas with water spritzer bottle*

    this approach sounds like it would just piss people off

    have you ever worked with salespeople

    it is like herding excitable ten year olds with access to an unrestricted supply of sugar

    that's all the drugs/5 Hour Energy they typically do

    I met more coke heads after I became a sales person then I had previously known my entire life.

    Thomamelas on
  • japanjapan regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This is not an appropriate use of the spritzer bottle, Hakks.

    japan on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    also where is that butterfly stuff Arch I don't got all day

    *spritz*

    I don't know what your sig is supposed to be.

    *spritz*

    emnmnme on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    oh derp derp

    Syndalis I should have just said that the bird-of-paradise display is a Lek behavior

    hah!

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    We have a new guy who's job is to improve process and actually make the sales people accountable. He just put a spray bottle full of water on my desk and permission to spray sales people doing something dumb. This man is growing on me.

    It's "whose"!!

    *sprays Thomamelas with water spritzer bottle*

    this approach sounds like it would just piss people off

    have you ever worked with salespeople

    it is like herding excitable ten year olds with access to an unrestricted supply of sugar

    that's all the drugs/5 Hour Energy they typically do

    I met more coke heads after I became a sales person then I had previously known my entire life.

    there is a minimum salary for doing coke.

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think my brother is trolling me. I just told him about The Truth from AC2 and he's like "yup, that perfectly matches my beliefs."

    Silas Brown on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    also where is that butterfly stuff Arch I don't got all day

    *spritz*

    It has something to do with them being able to use the sun as a compass, but i got distracted by other ethology research instead

    *spritz spritz*

    bad scientist, very bad! Don't make me get out the newspaper

    *spritz*

    Monarch butterflies use a time-regulated solar compass!

    I'm sorry! I will be better!

    *spritz spritz spritz*

    oh no now you appear to be all wet

    I guess you'll have to take off all your clothes

    Okay!
    n45500778_30018739_664.jpg
    this picture is a metaphor and a mean joke

    Arch on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    also where is that butterfly stuff Arch I don't got all day

    *spritz*

    I don't know what your sig is supposed to be.

    *spritz*

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nightmare

    you don't know henry fuseli

    *spritz*

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    also where is that butterfly stuff Arch I don't got all day

    *spritz*

    It has something to do with them being able to use the sun as a compass, but i got distracted by other ethology research instead

    *spritz spritz*

    bad scientist, very bad! Don't make me get out the newspaper

    *spritz*

    I think it was them that have a pretty accurate internal clock that is set every day by the sun

    so they can look at how much the "local" sun-time is wrong compared to what it would be where they just were

    and that way figure out how far they moved
    but isn't their lifespan less than full circular migration time

    how does a butterfly know where it is and where it has to go when it's born

    or comes out of the chrysalis or whatever

    Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    also where is that butterfly stuff Arch I don't got all day

    *spritz*

    It has something to do with them being able to use the sun as a compass, but i got distracted by other ethology research instead

    *spritz spritz*

    bad scientist, very bad! Don't make me get out the newspaper

    *spritz*

    I think it was them that have a pretty accurate internal clock that is set every day by the sun

    so they can look at how much the "local" sun-time is wrong compared to what it would be where they just were

    and that way figure out how far they moved
    but isn't their lifespan less than full circular migration time

    how does a butterfly know where it is and where it has to go when it's born

    or comes out of the chrysalis or whatever

    vOv

    Arch on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    no but seriously

    is netflix streaming down?

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    also where is that butterfly stuff Arch I don't got all day

    *spritz*

    I don't know what your sig is supposed to be.

    *spritz*

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nightmare

    you don't know henry fuseli

    *spritz*

    HIGH FIVE ART NERD

    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

    Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    also where is that butterfly stuff Arch I don't got all day

    *spritz*

    It has something to do with them being able to use the sun as a compass, but i got distracted by other ethology research instead

    *spritz spritz*

    bad scientist, very bad! Don't make me get out the newspaper

    *spritz*

    I think it was them that have a pretty accurate internal clock that is set every day by the sun

    so they can look at how much the "local" sun-time is wrong compared to what it would be where they just were

    and that way figure out how far they moved
    but isn't their lifespan less than full circular migration time

    how does a butterfly know where it is and where it has to go when it's born

    or comes out of the chrysalis or whatever

    let's back up. how does a caterpillar know how to form a cocoon and when to do so?

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • CouscousCouscous regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    although important side note
    lamarck wasn't totally wrong
    that was one of the sadder anecdotes of science
    poor lamarck ):

    moral of the story: fuck up once, be mocked forever
    we didn't know about epigenetics then
    whoooooops

    addendum to moral: You might not know you fucked up, or, you might not even have objectively fucked up, because you simply drew the most logical conclusion from the evidence that was availible

    but you will still be mocked forever
    And if you are accidentally right despite your theory for why you are right being incorrect, you will still be praised and enemies will be mocked even if you were kind of a crazy asshat.

    For example,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_reaction_to_Ignaz_Semmelweis

    Couscous on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hahaha

    guess what the most effective argument in favour of the potato was here?

    "You get three times as much booze from a potato field as a corn field."

    And bam, potatoes everywhere. Also, we started to drink 22 liters of hard liqour a year each.

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    also disclaimer- i know little about ethology and how it is being connected to the modern evolutionary synthesis

    it has something to do with modularity directing behavioral phenotypes wrt selection but i don't really now what a modular behavior is

    where is winky

    Arch on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    vOv

    I don't know what this is

    Do I have to put HCl in the spritzer bottle Arch

    Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Okay time to install the new hard drive and outfit it with urrythang I need

    Maybe now I'll be able to get some studying done!

    Later, [chat]

    Rear Admiral Choco on
    2WJtdLD.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    vOv

    I don't know what this is

    Do I have to put HCl in the spritzer bottle Arch

    it is a dude shrugging his shoulders

    i learned it from SE++

    Arch on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    also where is that butterfly stuff Arch I don't got all day

    *spritz*

    It has something to do with them being able to use the sun as a compass, but i got distracted by other ethology research instead

    *spritz spritz*

    bad scientist, very bad! Don't make me get out the newspaper

    *spritz*

    I think it was them that have a pretty accurate internal clock that is set every day by the sun

    so they can look at how much the "local" sun-time is wrong compared to what it would be where they just were

    and that way figure out how far they moved
    but isn't their lifespan less than full circular migration time

    how does a butterfly know where it is and where it has to go when it's born

    or comes out of the chrysalis or whatever

    well I don't think they figure it out by being hunched over the map table calculating longitude I think they just do

    but I have no idea what mechanism makes them only go so far so I'm just going to go with "because all the butterflies who didn't died alone"

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    like i really think that "how does an animal know how to do X?" where X isn't a learned behavior is like the core question of evolutionary ethology

    and people either ignore it, attempt to demonstrate that the behavior is learned, or come up with horrible explanations for it

    Arch on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

    let's back up. how does a caterpillar know how to form a cocoon and when to do so?

    ok that's easy

    when its ass is filled with too much silk, it needs to make a bed so it can nap off all those leaves, and holy shit how much did i DRINK last night, where the fuck did I get these wings from, oh my god I'm never binging on ferns again

    Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    like i really think that "how does an animal know how to do X?" where X isn't a learned behavior is like the core question of evolutionary ethology

    and people either ignore it, attempt to demonstrate that the behavior is learned, or come up with horrible explanations for it

    because all the animals who didn't know how died!

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hakks entertain me

    nexuscrawler on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    We have a new guy who's job is to improve process and actually make the sales people accountable. He just put a spray bottle full of water on my desk and permission to spray sales people doing something dumb. This man is growing on me.

    It's "whose"!!

    *sprays Thomamelas with water spritzer bottle*

    this approach sounds like it would just piss people off

    have you ever worked with salespeople

    it is like herding excitable ten year olds with access to an unrestricted supply of sugar

    that's all the drugs/5 Hour Energy they typically do

    I met more coke heads after I became a sales person then I had previously known my entire life.

    there is a minimum salary for doing coke.

    There kinda is. Fairly successful sales people tend towards coke. Less successful tend to hit the booze.

    Thomamelas on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    vOv

    I don't know what this is

    Do I have to put HCl in the spritzer bottle Arch

    it is a dude shrugging his shoulders

    i learned it from SE++

    ok

    i'm putting salt in the bottle anyway

    hope you don't have any open wounds

    Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • CouscousCouscous regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Monarch migrational patterns depend on where they live.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarch_%28butterfly%29#Migration
    Monarch butterflies are one of the few insects capable of making trans-Atlantic crossings. They are becoming more common in Bermuda due to increased usage of milkweed as an ornamental plant in flower gardens. Monarch butterflies born in Bermuda remain year round due to the island's mild climate. A few monarchs turn up in the far southwest of Great Britain in years when the wind conditions are right, and have been sighted as far east as Long Bennington. In Australia, Monarchs make limited migrations in cooler areas,[3] but the Blue Tiger butterfly is better known in Australia for its lengthy migration.[4] Monarchs can also be found in New Zealand. On the islands of Hawaii no migrations have been noted.

    Couscous on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DuE i know it was a joke but the "when" of pupation is controlled by time-regulated gene expression OR genetic response to stimuli (temperature, food reserves, etc)

    like i said, one of the big theories is that it just kind of...happens

    it is intrinsic to the hardware, but not regulated by it, if that makes sense

    Arch on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot regular Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    uggghhhh

    the few grad schools I could possibly get into are still expensive as fuck, and have no TAing or anything like that to ameliorate it

    fuuuuuck

    I don't know what I'm going to do. :(

    Captain Carrot on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    but I have no idea what mechanism makes them only go so far so I'm just going to go with "because all the butterflies who didn't died alone"

    Isn't that some form of Evo Psych?

    syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    like i really think that "how does an animal know how to do X?" where X isn't a learned behavior is like the core question of evolutionary ethology

    and people either ignore it, attempt to demonstrate that the behavior is learned, or come up with horrible explanations for it


    Hakkekage wrote: »

    let's back up. how does a caterpillar know how to form a cocoon and when to do so?

    ok that's easy

    when its ass is filled with too much silk, it needs to make a bed so it can nap off all those leaves, and holy shit how much did i DRINK last night, where the fuck did I get these wings from, oh my god I'm never binging on ferns again

    vOv

    (that doesn't look like a shoulder shrug at all)

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.