Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Wedding Cheese [chat]

15052545556

Posts

  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    but I have no idea what mechanism makes them only go so far so I'm just going to go with "because all the butterflies who didn't died alone"

    Isn't that some form of Evo Psych?

    arch just has a twitch and didn't know why

    nexuscrawler on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    like i really think that "how does an animal know how to do X?" where X isn't a learned behavior is like the core question of evolutionary ethology

    and people either ignore it, attempt to demonstrate that the behavior is learned, or come up with horrible explanations for it

    because all the animals who didn't know how died!

    circular though

    but how did the ones that survived acquire this behavior

    its a complex question

    Arch on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    WOW, gog.com went crazy.

    Is it Masters of Magic or Age of Wonders that's the beloved PC series?

    emnmnme on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hakks entertain me with something not bad

    nexuscrawler on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    God he's serious.

    My brother believes all world religions are inspired by extraterrestrial intervention. He thinks they are "translations" of real world experiences, an attempt to explain advanced technology.

    I suggested that it's more simple to expect that early religions were born out of a desire to explain the natural world without sufficient scientific understanding, and used his current behavior as an example.

    Silas Brown on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    DuE i know it was a joke but the "when" of pupation is controlled by time-regulated gene expression OR genetic response to stimuli (temperature, food reserves, etc)

    like i said, one of the big theories is that it just kind of...happens

    it is intrinsic to the hardware, but not regulated by it, if that makes sense

    Nah it wasn't totally a joke. It just seems to me that there are a lot of behaviors that we kind of glance over as things that just sort of happen. Or rather we don't know all of the details.

    I do get that it is a "the time is right" sort of deal. Kind of like pooping.

    not really. but kind of.

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    God he's serious.

    My brother believes all world religions are inspired by extraterrestrial intervention. He thinks they are "translations" of real world experiences, an attempt to explain advanced technology.

    I suggested that it's more simple to expect that early religions were born out of a desire to explain the natural world without sufficient scientific understanding, and used his current behavior as an example.

    is your brother ACSIS

    Arch on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    God he's serious.

    My brother believes all world religions are inspired by extraterrestrial intervention. He thinks they are "translations" of real world experiences, an attempt to explain advanced technology.

    I suggested that it's more simple to expect that early religions were born out of a desire to explain the natural world without sufficient scientific understanding, and used his current behavior as an example.

    is your brother ACSIS

    good proof against evo-psych

    nexuscrawler on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    like i really think that "how does an animal know how to do X?" where X isn't a learned behavior is like the core question of evolutionary ethology

    and people either ignore it, attempt to demonstrate that the behavior is learned, or come up with horrible explanations for it


    Hakkekage wrote: »

    let's back up. how does a caterpillar know how to form a cocoon and when to do so?

    ok that's easy

    when its ass is filled with too much silk, it needs to make a bed so it can nap off all those leaves, and holy shit how much did i DRINK last night, where the fuck did I get these wings from, oh my god I'm never binging on ferns again

    vOv

    (that doesn't look like a shoulder shrug at all)

    making horrible decisions after a night of partying is not a horrible explanation at all ok

    even if you're a caterpillar

    Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I hate when my brother gets on one of these tangents. I feel like he probably experiences a lot of trouble because I fed him so much insecurity when we were kids, but then he pulls this as an adult and I"m like "there's no way to talk about this without showing that you're being an idiot."

    Silas Brown on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Really though. Most importantly

    is anyone else unable to instant watch on netflix?

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hakks entertain me with something not bad

    30 ROCK IS NOT BAD

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8HPGFJiq7M

    Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    What does one do in STO? I'm assuming there are ships and phasers, and perhaps beaming of things in a vertical direction.

    Are there raids, like a bunch of cadets standing in a circle firing their lasers?

    Genuinely curious.

    You have your dude, who you make in typical MMO fashion - create his face and body (which is highly customizable, much on the order of CoH or what have you), outfit him, choose stats, class, etc.

    And you have a spaceship, which come in several varieties (science ship, escort, or cruiser and increasingly big/badass versions of same) and which you can also customize and equip with weapons and so forth.

    And then lastly you have a team of bridge officers who get assigned to you as rewards for missions, or who can be bought from stores or traded to you by other players, and they work like pets. In space, they have special abilities, like the engineer can Reroute Power to Shields or the tactical guy can Modulate Phaser Frequency. On the ground, they beam down with you and help you fight.

    Space combat is very tactical and naval-feeling; you want to get your broadside facing the enemy and unload on him, while keeping your weakest shields facing away from him. Managing power (between weapons, engines, shields, and auxiliary functions like sensors) is an important part of it. As you level up you can do more and more things, like hitching enemy ships with tractor beams or beaming over boarding parties to attack vital systems.

    Ground combat is more like a standard MMO, except you have your guy and four others (officers or redshirts) to manage. It tends to focus on ranged combat and there are large bonuses for attacking flanked or stunned/immobilized/otherwise helpless enemies so group management and positioning are pretty important.

    You get missions, and they can be space- or ground-based or both; you might get, for instance, an order to clear Romulans out of an asteroid field, and then after that you beam onto a ship they've taken hostage and free it, and then back into space to fight more of them. Or you might get a courier quest like to bring a remote planet ten Weather Controllers or whatever. There are also non-combat missions where you resolve things by solving puzzles or talking your way through dialogue trees.

    There are five ranks in the game - lieutenant, lieutenant commander, commander, captain, and admiral - and every rank has ten grades associated with it, which are your levels. So at level 11, for instance, you get promoted from lieutenant to LC and can take control of a bigger ship and unlock more powerful abilities.

    There's also loot, lots of loot: rare phasers and shields and engines and so forth that can give you a big boost, although a lot of the best loot can only be had by going on difficult missions or raids. Raids are anything from huge space battles against the Borg to ground warfare against the Klingons.

    Jacobkosh on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    DuE i know it was a joke but the "when" of pupation is controlled by time-regulated gene expression OR genetic response to stimuli (temperature, food reserves, etc)

    like i said, one of the big theories is that it just kind of...happens

    it is intrinsic to the hardware, but not regulated by it, if that makes sense

    Nah it wasn't totally a joke. It just seems to me that there are a lot of behaviors that we kind of glance over as things that just sort of happen. Or rather we don't know all of the details.

    I do get that it is a "the time is right" sort of deal. Kind of like pooping.

    not really. but kind of.

    no really.

    like. really.

    after a certain time certain genes become active and the animal seeks to find a way to provide a stable growth environment (like a second egg) for the metamorphosis because a lot of cells are de-differentiating/imaginal disks are beginning to express developmental signals

    there is a stephen j gould essay about this, but i can't remember the name

    Arch on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    but I have no idea what mechanism makes them only go so far so I'm just going to go with "because all the butterflies who didn't died alone"

    Isn't that some form of Evo Psych?

    these are butterflies

    a computer has more psychology

    also, no, it's more the base idea of evolution

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So Putin's mistress is certainly...flexible.

    Thomamelas on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Who is Connie D'Amico?

    I think it's from a television show.

    emnmnme on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the problem with evo pysc BTW synd isn't that it is saying that some behaviors were more or less successful or more or less common in humans

    the problem is saying that we are currently "doing it wrong" wrt things like monogamy, or using statistical aberrances (spatial reasoning, for example) and trying to explain it using convoluted stories about evolutionary fitness with little empirical testing

    Arch on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    and also the misappropriation of "fitness" to mean more than "has more offspring"

    Arch on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Who is Connie D'Amico?

    I think it's from a television show.

    family guy?

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I met more coke heads after I became a sales person then I had previously known my entire life.

    That sounds like my experience as well, yeah.

    Jacobkosh on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just don't get 30 rock

    nexuscrawler on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, now I'm all out of wack. My brother believes, without evidence, that aliens explain world religions and I'm all upset because I might have hurt his feelings

    Silas Brown on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    hakks entertain me with something not bad

    30 ROCK IS NOT BAD

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8HPGFJiq7M

    do not be discouraged by nexus and his terrible opinions

    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    the problem is saying that we are currently "doing it wrong" wrt things like monogamy

    I'm not seeing the problem



    (yes I know your point is about the crazy justifications spun out of whole cloth with no real verification or testing)

    Senjutsu on
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    the problem is saying that we are currently "doing it wrong" wrt things like monogamy

    I'm not seeing the problem



    (yes I know your point is about the crazy justifications spun out of whole cloth with no real verification or testing)

    doing it wrong re: monogamy because OMG our ancestors were more polyamorous/being polyamorous is more "fit"! = bad

    doing it wrong re: monogamy because any other argument = possibly not bad

    Arch on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, now I'm all out of wack. My brother believes, without evidence, that aliens explain world religions and I'm all upset because I might have hurt his feelings

    seems to me you're being too harsh on yourself.

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just don't get 30 rock

    god are you even human

    Senjutsu on
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Who is Connie D'Amico?

    I think it's from a television show.

    family guy?

    That's it.

    How the hell did that name get stuck in my head?

    emnmnme on
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, now I'm all out of wack. My brother believes, without evidence, that aliens explain world religions and I'm all upset because I might have hurt his feelings

    Sounds like maybe you're not be a bad person. How's that make you feel?

    EDIT: Apparently Vin Diesel is really excited about premiering the Fast and The Furious trailer on Facebook.

    FroThulhu on
    Nova_C wrote: »
    "I'm arresting you for failing to check yourself. You have the right to wreck yourself."
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, now I'm all out of wack. My brother believes, without evidence, that aliens explain world religions and I'm all upset because I might have hurt his feelings

    seems to me you're being too harsh on yourself.

    it depends how mean you were about it; i have felt guilty for flipping out on someone who was talking about creationism when really i looked like a fool because i should have been calm and reasonable

    if you WERE calm and reasonable, then yeah you are being too harsh

    Arch on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, now I'm all out of wack. My brother believes, without evidence, that aliens explain world religions and I'm all upset because I might have hurt his feelings

    seems to me you're being too harsh on yourself.

    I guess I'm just wondering what the best way to handle things like this, and the fact that it involves someone I really care bout it mixed things up even more. I mean, this is an asinine assertion and he's not even trying to be logical about it. On the other hand, he's a man now and he's entitled to believe as he wishes.

    So what am I supposed to do when a man I care about tries to share, in earnest excitement, his beliefs about alien gods?

    Silas Brown on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Who is Connie D'Amico?

    I think it's from a television show.

    family guy?

    That's it.

    How the hell did that name get stuck in my head?

    for the same reason I remembered it?

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/13/where-does-fido-go-when-he-dies/?hpt=C2
    I hope the Catholic Church bitches about this inane article.

    Couscous on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Whenever it comes to weird or apparently mystifyingly complex innate behaviours I always try to remember that other animals do not necessarily perceive the world in remotely the same way we do.

    I mean, cuttlefish can perceive the polarisation of light but not colour. There is no confortable way to try and empathetically visualise what that's like, and it's really difficult to fully grasp what that means in terms of how a cuttlefish interacts with the world.

    japan on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Man, now I'm all out of wack. My brother believes, without evidence, that aliens explain world religions and I'm all upset because I might have hurt his feelings

    seems to me you're being too harsh on yourself.

    it depends how mean you were about it; i have felt guilty for flipping out on someone who was talking about creationism when really i looked like a fool because i should have been calm and reasonable

    if you WERE calm and reasonable, then yeah you are being too harsh

    I compared him to people who invent religions because they lack the capacity or will to more logically analyze the natural world.

    Silas Brown on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    tell your brother that yes, we all saw stargate, but that no, it isn't real, and to stop being a twit

    Senjutsu on
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, now I'm all out of wack. My brother believes, without evidence, that aliens explain world religions and I'm all upset because I might have hurt his feelings

    seems to me you're being too harsh on yourself.

    I guess I'm just wondering what the best way to handle things like this, and the fact that it involves someone I really care bout it mixed things up even more. I mean, this is an asinine assertion and he's not even trying to be logical about it. On the other hand, he's a man now and he's entitled to believe as he wishes.

    So what am I supposed to do when a man I care about tries to share, in earnest excitement, his beliefs about alien gods?

    same thing you do when a person you care about tries to share, in earnest excitement, their beliefs about jesus?

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, now I'm all out of wack. My brother believes, without evidence, that aliens explain world religions and I'm all upset because I might have hurt his feelings

    seems to me you're being too harsh on yourself.

    I guess I'm just wondering what the best way to handle things like this, and the fact that it involves someone I really care bout it mixed things up even more. I mean, this is an asinine assertion and he's not even trying to be logical about it. On the other hand, he's a man now and he's entitled to believe as he wishes.

    So what am I supposed to do when a man I care about tries to share, in earnest excitement, his beliefs about alien gods?

    point out the flaws calmly and let him know that he should read more books by smart people who aren't loony.

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.