As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wedding Cheese [chat]

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I look forward to the sequel to Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrel though, mostly because the author is brilliant, she's taking her time, and the premise sounds good.

Its supposed to focus on Childermass and Vincules and the aftermath of the incidents in the first book years later.

Childermass is such an interesting character.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Elki wrote: »

I just had this song stuck in my head about 6 hours ago.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    wazilla wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    do you seriously not understand why there might be downsides to feeling the thoughts, emotions, and physical sensations of billions of other people?

Well, there would be no more war, conflict or strife of any kind I would imagine... The hungry would be fed, the sick cared for...

not necessarily true - if a hivemind sees everybody as equal parts to itself, it will let parts die in order to preserve resources and keep the healthy portions functioning correctly.

But feeling the cost in life and comfort, we'd be able to truly appreciate its value. No sacrifice would be meaningless, no suffering would be wrongfully ignored.

or we're just as expendable because we are gears in a machine. tell me, do you have a stronger emotional connection to one of your internal organs over another?

No, I don't share empathy with my physical body.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Eddy wrote: »
    Being the Borg / Zerg / Human Ant Colony would be pretty awesome in terms of pure efficiency

Until you are found to be an inefficient component, sure.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    do you seriously not understand why there might be downsides to feeling the thoughts, emotions, and physical sensations of billions of other people?

Well, there would be no more war, conflict or strife of any kind I would imagine... The hungry would be fed, the sick cared for...

not necessarily true - if a hivemind sees everybody as equal parts to itself, it will let parts die in order to preserve resources and keep the healthy portions functioning correctly.

if your hand is hurt, you aim to heal it

if it gets gangrene you cut it off to survive

the hand doesn't suffer, you do.

and still there would be no war, conflict or strife of any kind imaginable

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Being the Borg / Zerg / Human Ant Colony would be pretty awesome in terms of pure efficiency

As long as our goal as a society is to just....function. Never making anything original, never progressing.

Well, yeah, that's why I said in terms of pure efficiency. The thought does conflict a lot with intrinsic human needs (the need for self-actualization, primarily)

Eddy on
  • Options
    DraculaDracula DARCUL DAS WAMPY Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dracula wrote: »
    I was reading about baby names and Isabella has been one of the most popular girl names for the past couple of years.

I think it might be number one.

People are naming their children after Twilight.

Just thought I'd let y'all know.

It's pretty common for childrens names to be related to horrible bits of media.

Also consider the correlation less than adequate education has with consuming poor media and believing things like "if he comes while the girl is on top you can't get pregnant" or "two condoms is always better than one" and it's really not a far stretch.

yeah man i hear some dudes think the earth is 6000 years old or some shit

Dracula on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    I've never seen more than a little of MSNBC, but I'm pretty sure it does not fudge details, manipulate facts, or misinform viewers to the degree that Fox does

Okay

MSNBC has a prime time block of shows that are very liberal leaning and do present the republicans in a very bad light. depending on your philosophy, this is either earned or it isn't.

These shows do not fabricate facts to rail on the pubs though; they are using the material that is very real, and present.

Meanwhile, Fox not only has a very conservative block of shows in their primetime, they constantly message for the pubs throughout the day, Call Republicans democrats when they fuck up, and purposefully lie to their watchers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXcU6ZvHtXg

I double dog dare you to find anything like that from MSNBC.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

pure efficiency would have a certain novelty aspect to it when it comes to witnessing it, but all in all it's a boring and pointless concept with regard to sentient life

pure efficiency on a very small scale, however, is pretty awe-inspiring

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There are certain people whom, if I felt perfectly their pain, I would be highly motivated to put out of their misery in the fastest way possible.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    340x_lampchair.jpg

Chair-lamp!

Chlamp.

Lair champ.

Lairmp.

Champ.

200px-Rocky_balboa.jpeg
    !

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

But feeling the cost in life and comfort, we'd be able to truly appreciate its value. No sacrifice would be meaningless, no suffering would be wrongfully ignored.

or we're just as expendable because we are gears in a machine. tell me, do you have a stronger emotional connection to one of your internal organs over another?

So why would the hive mind?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

if your hand is hurt, you aim to heal it

if it gets gangrene you cut it off to survive

the hand doesn't suffer, you do.

and still there would be no war, conflict or strife of any kind imaginable

We'd only potentially be at odds with the world around us, and I suspect we'd find that sustainability is in our best interests. It wouldn't be a perfect world, but it would be a more meaningful one.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think we like to focus a lot of the negative aspects.

What about all the orgasms you'd get to experience like... every second.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    edited December 2010

As long as our goal as a society is to just....function. Never making anything original, never progressing.

This is just silly.

Leave a man completely alone and he'll make plenty of original stuff and progress all the time. You don't need other people to be able to think.

Progress is also one of those things that would get bloody efficient.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How could god be the source of ethics? All he can do is punish or reward you; how is that any different from an especially domineering parents? Domineering parents might punish you for marrying outside the race or joining the freedom riders, but they cannot make it wrong for you to do so.

Sure you can say: god is perfectly good, so of course doing what he tells you is perfectly good. But that's a tight little definitional circle. What about god is it that makes him perfectly good, aside from just your saying so?

MrMister on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I look forward to the sequel to Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrel though, mostly because the author is brilliant, she's taking her time, and the premise sounds good.

Its supposed to focus on Childermass and Vincules and the aftermath of the incidents in the first book years later.

Childermass is such an interesting character.

He was. It was the little things that made that book great.
    Like Norrel and Strange's "confrontation" at the end
    Or Wellington shrugging off Strange's madness
    Or Drawlight encountering Strange in Vienna

fucking love that book.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    There are certain people whom, if I felt perfectly their pain, I would be highly motivated to put out of their misery in the fastest way possible.

Wouldn't that lead to the death of a lot of people, I mean if we all felt their pain we certainly as a group would want them removed?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    MrMister wrote: »
    How could god be the source of ethics? All he can do is punish or reward you; how is that any different from an especially domineering parents? Domineering parents might punish you for marrying outside the race or joining the freedom riders, but they cannot make it wrong for you to do so.

Sure you can say: god is perfectly good, so of course doing what he tells you is perfectly good. But that's a tight little definitional circle. What about god is it that makes him perfectly good, aside from just your saying so?

Nothing.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I don't think it would necessarily create empathy (though that would be awesome) but I know I don't give away or damage my own organs lightly. I don't need to cry over them or love one more than the other to preserve them. Shit hurts.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Wouldn't that lead to the death of a lot of people, I mean if we all felt their pain we certainly as a group would want them removed?

I would think that, should we find ourselves part of a collective conscious, there are portions of the world we'd deem not worth saving.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Well, if I define God as the greatest conceivable being; then it follows that this being must be good (for a being that is great and good is greater than a being that is great but not good); therefore the greatest conceivable being must also be of the greatest good.

Edit: This is in no way a serious post.

Feral on

• Options
    edited December 2010
    God being seen as the source of ethics is to me bizarre

but that depends on your definition of God, of which there are so many definitions it's best to not broach the subject any further

Eddy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Again it's like cutting off your hand

I don't mean hive mind in that we're just all reading eachother's minds all the time (mind hive?), I mean we're one mind

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    fox news isn't even a news network, I mean they don't even vet their sources. Where else did we get a carrier group being deployed to india? It is smart though, if you make up crazy accustions the crazy will get more attention than the rational explanation.

also I adored jonathan strange. It was very dense but with a good directorbit could make a fine movie

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I don't mean hive mind in that we're just all reading eachother's minds all the time (mind hive?), I mean we're one mind

Right? Presumably survival would be in our perceived best interest, and wasteful death would not be desired.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Well, if I define God as the greatest conceivable being; then it follows that this being must be good (for a being that is great and good is greater than a being that is great but not good); therefore the greatest conceivable being must also be of the greatest good.

Edit: This is in no way a serious post.

Yeah that edit stopped me from calling out some circular logic all up ins!

Eddy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I don't think it would necessarily create empathy (though that would be awesome) but I know I don't give away or damage my own organs lightly. I don't need to cry over them or love one more than the other to preserve them. Shit hurts.

So life would not be appreciated, because there is no emotional connection to it. Just as skin cells on your body die all the time and you feel nothing, a hive mind would not feel anything for the deaths of people, either.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Nothing.

Boo@divine command theory.

Also, depending on what you mean by "hive mind" it is simply impossible for any of us to be "in one," just the same way it's impossible for any of us to be someone else (if we were someone else, we would not any longer be us).

MrMister on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    mmm, just imagine all that incurable cancer you'd feel all the time

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If people started feeling everyone else's pain we'd invent a device to prevent that so fast.

Or kill ourselves from too much stimuli.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2010
    Elki wrote: »

I just had this song stuck in my head about 6 hours ago.

I spent most of Sunday doing an old-school hip-hop routine to that.

Check baby check baby one two three four
    Check baby check baby one two three
    Check baby check baby one two
    Check baby check baby one

Better version!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6fUp6U6wdI

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Right? Presumably survival would be in our perceived best interest, and wasteful death would not be desired.

exactly so we'd strive to make deaths not wasteful.

But the point is death wouldn't be a bad thing

it's like your cells dying and being replaced

that's not people dying, not how we define people

humanity would be one person

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Twenty orgasms a second.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

This is just silly.

Leave a man completely alone and he'll make plenty of original stuff and progress all the time. You don't need other people to be able to think.

Progress is also one of those things that would get bloody efficient.

Thats not a fair example though. We're not talking about one guy on an island for a little while who learns how to build a better mouse trap.

We're talking about 6 billion humans learning and adapting to the seismic shifts that will occur in a society.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    god hates it when you take a sandwich from the break room fridge that isn't yours

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

So life would not be appreciated, because there is no emotional connection to it. Just as skin cells on your body die all the time and you feel nothing, a hive mind would not feel anything for the deaths of people, either.

Life of the hive mind would be appreciated.

Or are you saying it's a bad thing that we don't feel anything for our skin cells?

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Twenty orgasms a second.

So pretty much humanity just locks up.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2010
    god hates it when you take a sandwich from the break room fridge that isn't yours

God will fuck you up when he finds out you did it too.

Either god, or the office quarterback.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Well are we organs or are we skin cells?

Silas Brown on
This discussion has been closed.