As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wedding Cheese [chat]

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The entire concept is ridiculous, people define themselves on individuality, we could no more be a hive mind then we could be Zeus lord of thunder.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    wazilla wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    mmm, just imagine all that incurable cancer you'd feel all the time

Twenty orgasms a second.

So pretty much humanity just locks up.

There are worse ways to go.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Twenty orgasms a second.

So pretty much humanity just locks up.

There are worse ways to go.

Well I'm not sure I want to experience Bertha the 600 pound woman down the road experience an orgasm.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    do you seriously not understand why there might be downsides to feeling the thoughts, emotions, and physical sensations of billions of other people?

Well, there would be no more war, conflict or strife of any kind I would imagine... The hungry would be fed, the sick cared for...

not necessarily true - if a hivemind sees everybody as equal parts to itself, it will let parts die in order to preserve resources and keep the healthy portions functioning correctly.

But feeling the cost in life and comfort, we'd be able to truly appreciate its value. No sacrifice would be meaningless, no suffering would be wrongfully ignored.

or we're just as expendable because we are gears in a machine. tell me, do you have a stronger emotional connection to one of your internal organs over another?

No, I don't share empathy with my physical body.

So why would the hive mind?

I don't think it would necessarily create empathy (though that would be awesome) but I know I don't give away or damage my own organs lightly. I don't need to cry over them or love one more than the other to preserve them. Shit hurts.

So life would not be appreciated, because there is no emotional connection to it. Just as skin cells on your body die all the time and you feel nothing, a hive mind would not feel anything for the deaths of people, either.

Life of the hive mind would be appreciated.

Or are you saying it's a bad thing that we don't feel anything for our skin cells?

No.

We would not appreciate life more than we do now, that is the claim. The hive mind is intangible, it is not an organism unto itself and it has no life. The bodies it is made up of do, but like skin cells, they have no value to us. Life would cease to have value.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    god hates it when you take a sandwich from the break room fridge that isn't yours

God will fuck you up when he finds out you did it too.

Either god, or the office Linebacker.

Quarterbacks are pussies, Terry Tate ain't no pussy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Eddy wrote: »
    Being the Borg / Zerg / Human Ant Colony would be pretty awesome in terms of pure efficiency

As long as our goal as a society is to just....function. Never making anything original, never progressing.

This is just silly.

Leave a man completely alone and he'll make plenty of original stuff and progress all the time. You don't need other people to be able to think.

Progress is also one of those things that would get bloody efficient.

Thats not a fair example though. We're not talking about one guy on an island for a little while who learns how to build a better mouse trap.

We're talking about 6 billion humans learning and adapting to the seismic shifts that will occur in a society.

Learning to adapt in society leads to adapting in society no progress other than that

It is a fair example. There is no way that being able to think as one would limt progress in any way. All the knowledge and ability to experience new things of 6 billion humans, in one mind

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If a global hive mind type thing actually came in to existence.

And I couldn't opt out.

I would kill myself.

This is one of the most horrifying things I can think of. Just ugh.

Galahad on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    The entire concept is ridiculous, people define themselves on individuality, we could no more be a hive mind then we could be Zeus lord of thunder.

Depends on how tight the bonds are; we could probably conceivably have some shared emotional or sensory component, but anything closer than that and you're right--we're no longer imagining anything which recognizably contains ourselves, and, as such, it is senseless to talk about us, personally being a 'part' of it.

MrMister on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man... I can't believe I forgot my flash drive and my chap stick today. I gotta use IE6 again, and I may end up twitching a little before going home without the chap stick... >.>

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

But what if we were

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Galahad wrote: »
    If a global hive mind type thing actually came in to existence.

And I couldn't opt out.

I would kill myself.

This is one of the most horrifying things I can think of. Just ugh.

it's a human centipede, made up of 6 billion people!

so much shitting, so much eating

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    do you seriously not understand why there might be downsides to feeling the thoughts, emotions, and physical sensations of billions of other people?

Well, there would be no more war, conflict or strife of any kind I would imagine... The hungry would be fed, the sick cared for...

not necessarily true - if a hivemind sees everybody as equal parts to itself, it will let parts die in order to preserve resources and keep the healthy portions functioning correctly.

But feeling the cost in life and comfort, we'd be able to truly appreciate its value. No sacrifice would be meaningless, no suffering would be wrongfully ignored.

or we're just as expendable because we are gears in a machine. tell me, do you have a stronger emotional connection to one of your internal organs over another?

I don't think it would necessarily create empathy (though that would be awesome) but I know I don't give away or damage my own organs lightly. I don't need to cry over them or love one more than the other to preserve them. Shit hurts.

So life would not be appreciated, because there is no emotional connection to it. Just as skin cells on your body die all the time and you feel nothing, a hive mind would not feel anything for the deaths of people, either.

Or are you saying it's a bad thing that we don't feel anything for our skin cells?

No.

We would not appreciate life more than we do now, that is the claim. The hive mind is intangible, it is not an organism unto itself and it has no life. The bodies it is made up of do, but like skin cells, they have no value to us. Life would cease to have value.

The mind is intangible, it is not an organism unto itself and it has no life. The cells it is made up of do but, they have no value to us. Life has no value.

It is exactly the same.

Except it's more like brain cells dying than skin cells.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

If it damages the hive mind, the hive mind would get its shit together and cure cancer. No scientific frontier will remain a mystery for long when you have 6 billion brains focusing on solving one problem.

... and the hive mind would genetically engineer a real Lola Bunny because furries help make up the hive mind, too.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Being the Borg / Zerg / Human Ant Colony would be pretty awesome in terms of pure efficiency

As long as our goal as a society is to just....function. Never making anything original, never progressing.

This is just silly.

Leave a man completely alone and he'll make plenty of original stuff and progress all the time. You don't need other people to be able to think.

Thats not a fair example though. We're not talking about one guy on an island for a little while who learns how to build a better mouse trap.

We're talking about 6 billion humans learning and adapting to the seismic shifts that will occur in a society.

Learning to adapt in society leads to adapting in society no progress other than that

It is a fair example. There is no way that being able to think as one would limt progress in any way. All the knowledge and ability to experience new things of 6 billion humans, in one mind

1 mind is not capable of the thought that 6 billion are. Our brains don't work that way. You'll miss something, or whatever. The best writers still need editors.

Or you're talking about the hive mind being some perfect deity of logic and intelligence in which case this discussion is pointless because its just god with a sci-fi twist.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    people define themselves on individuality, yes

so a hive mind would be one people

done!

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

No.

The mind is intangible, it is not an organism unto itself and it has no life. The cells it is made up of do but, they have no value to us. Life has no value.

It is exactly the same.

Yes, so life has no value now. That would not change. The claim I'm countering is that life would be more important if we shared a conscious.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey guys.

What if we had like superpowers or something.

Whoa...

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited December 2010

But what if we were

You guys smoke a lot of pot.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2010

This is just silly.

1 mind is not capable of the thought that 6 billion are. Our brains don't work that way. You'll miss something, or whatever. The best writers still need editors.

Or you're talking about the hive mind being some perfect deity of logic and intelligence in which case this discussion is pointless because its just god with a sci-fi twist.

It is not a perfect deity of logic and intelligence but it is the best being of logic and intelligence humans can be. A writer would not need an editor if he knew what the editor knew.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

This is just silly.

1 unified existence with the resources of 6 billion individuals.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    can you guys get a thread or something for this

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Penny Arcade forums!

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited December 2010

But what if we were

I have met an astounding number of people who have never been high off of marijuana or any other drug

this is weird, because when I hadn't, everyone I knew had and when I finally did nobody else seems to

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    it's 17 degrees

:( !

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

No.

It is exactly the same.

Yes, so life has no value now. That would not change. The claim I'm countering is that life would be more important if we shared a conscious.

oh yeah, hah, I missed the post that claimed that altogether

But yeah. If life has no value now it has no then.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    what? Humanity always discovers more when other people are around. Isolation has alwys bred stagnation. It's a pretty basic concept.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

But what if we were

duuuuuuude

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010

No, this is a good discussion. good points brought up, no feelings to get hurt because there are no hive minds currently [chat]ting.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think we're taking a collective bong hit that's for sure

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

No.

It is exactly the same.

oh yeah, hah, I missed the post that claimed that altogether

But yeah. If life has no value now it has no then.

That's my bad. I was operating from the notion of shared empathy, which was proposed as being really bad earlier. My argument was meant more towards that... if we existed in a state of shared empathy, that pain would matter. How best to deal with that pain would probably depend, though, but I don't cut off fingers when they hurt.

But it's not like life has any inherent value, I guess. I'm not sure.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    Hey guys.

What if we had like superpowers or something.

Whoa...

I still say either teleportation or cold/fire abilities would be the greatest.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It is not a perfect deity of logic and intelligence but it is the best being of logic and intelligence humans can be. A writer would not need an editor if he knew what the editor knew.

Then you don't get the point to an editor.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

A new thread fir the hive mind thing or the furry thing? I have thoughts on both.
    lola.jpg

emnmnme on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    also I adored jonathan strange. It was very dense but with a good directorbit could make a fine movie

I loved that book, but odds of a movie not getting fucked up seem low.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2010
    The biggest problem with a full-on hivemind will be that eugenics and various flavors of -cide will be in full effect, as the overconscious seeks a purer, more efficient body.

That said, I suspect something a little less bidirectional will occur first, some sort of "always-on" wikipedia for the sum of human knowledge... something far more useful than full-on empathy and distributed computing, IMO.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    what? Humanity always discovers more when other people are around. Isolation has alwys bred stagnation. It's a pretty basic concept.

And we claim the reason humanity discovers more is that knowledge is shared when more people are around

the more people, the more knowledge, and the more they can share, the more knowledge can be used

not that it is because... I don't know. What other reason is there for more people to discover more than that there are more knowledge and more input?

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    it's weird, I think we don't consider an individual cell as life unless it is the only cell in an organism. not that we should spend time mourning over dead skin cells, but there does seem to be a slightly arbitrary definition

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

And we claim the reason humanity discovers more is that knowledge is shared when more people are around

the more people, the more knowledge, and the more they can share, the more knowledge can be used

not that it is because... I don't know. What other reason is there for more people to discover more than that there are more knowledge and more input?

But perfect unity of thought destroys exactly what makes having more people around useful.

You seem to be going to a perfect method of communication, not a perfect hive mind.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    The biggest problem with a full-on hivemind will be that eugenics and various flavors of -cide will be in full effect, as the overconscious seeks a purer, more efficient body.

That said, I suspect something a little less bidirectional will occur first, some sort of "always-on" wikipedia for the sum of human knowledge... something far more useful than full-on empathy and distributed computing, IMO.

the first thing is not a problem at all

unless you don't like your cells dying and being replaced by healthier cells

we don't mean an overconscious made up of many consciousnesses, we mean one consciousness

the overconsciousness thing, a mind hive if you will, yeah that could suck a bit

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The idea of a hive mind is the worst thing ever. Acting as and being part of some greater whole would be so shitty without some individual interest.

Fuck efficiency as a society, I want to fulfill my individual desires.

Rear Admiral Choco on
This discussion has been closed.