As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Blight of the Immortals]

• Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dead Men Walking

Lost Grovescurse because my dwarves didn't get the appropriate fortification bonus. Horrible. I'll try and take it back, but there's another giant army bearing down on Riverflower that I'll need to reinforce first.

Edit: scratch that. They can't get there in time. Withdrawing further.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Buh, an undead human army that was approaching one of my cities and was very close, seems to have just disappeared. I have no combat message from it.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Paradiso wrote: »
    Dead Men Walking

Lost Grovescurse because my dwarves didn't get the appropriate fortification bonus. Horrible. I'll try and take it back, but there's another giant army bearing down on Riverflower that I'll need to reinforce first.

Yeah, I moved by dwarves off it and back on to get the right fortification bonus. Also, I moved my elves at the last hour. I like to think of them as cracking at the last second after staring at the hordes of undead trolls and fleeing in terror.

Musan on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yay!
    30th December 2010
    More bugs fixed in Fortification and the Zombie Dwarfs ability. Changed the starting zombie algorithm to even out the initial spawning a little. The difficulty of the game will increase slighting because more zombies will spawn at the start, but newly blighted provinces will be the same.

We are considering adding a range restriction to the purchasing of independent units. It seems that new players are buying up new units all over the board without regard for the fact that it is the most expensive way to buy forces!

We are first going to try making this clearer in the dialog, then if that doesn't help we'll require you to have an adjacent army. As always, I'd love to hear what you think at jay@ironhelmet.com.

Also: Requiring an adjacent army seems a bit much, but requiring a city within (x) hours travel, where (x) is something suitably high (30 or more) could be reasonable.

Darian on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Maybe I don't see the issue but I don't think that buying neutral armies all over the map is necessarily a bad thing. I think it adds some depth to the start of the game and, besides, neutral armies are a limited resource. Plus, we are talking about new players here

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited December 2010
    Paradiso wrote: »
    Dead Men Walking

Sorry. :oops:

I am about to take care of the source of the problem. (edit: I hope.) I gifted you Oretown, and any other yellow cities I end up with I'll gift to you too.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    Yay!
    30th December 2010
    More bugs fixed in Fortification and the Zombie Dwarfs ability. Changed the starting zombie algorithm to even out the initial spawning a little. The difficulty of the game will increase slighting because more zombies will spawn at the start, but newly blighted provinces will be the same.

We are considering adding a range restriction to the purchasing of independent units. It seems that new players are buying up new units all over the board without regard for the fact that it is the most expensive way to buy forces!

We are first going to try making this clearer in the dialog, then if that doesn't help we'll require you to have an adjacent army. As always, I'd love to hear what you think at jay@ironhelmet.com.

Also: Requiring an adjacent army seems a bit much, but requiring a city within (x) hours travel, where (x) is something suitably high (30 or more) could be reasonable.

The key to me, I think, was that I could spend a color not natural to me to buy an army and town that could resupply it anywhere on the map. By being careful with this, you could ensure that you'd be able to use every color to some extent if you were careful.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Seems like kind of a silly statement from jay. yeah, it's the most expensive way to buy forces, but it's usually the cheapest way to deny an opponent a town unless they want to declare war with you. I also doubt it's just new people doing it, it's a very valid and effective strategy imo

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Seems like kind of a silly statement from jay. yeah, it's the most expensive way to buy forces, but it's usually the cheapest way to deny an opponent a town unless they want to declare war with you. I also doubt it's just new people doing it, it's a very valid and effective strategy imo

I find endgame I've wiped out my area and there's still precious honor to be had by killing zombies on the other side of the map. instead of taking 5 days to get forces there, I can buy a town in that area and start an army that can get me some honor before the game ends.

valiance on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    vv32S.jpg

Sorry for clogging the thread with my updates but I thought I'd share that I got home late and found that I missed my shot at using a 57 str Troll army's ability. They subsequently ran into a wall of immortal orcs D: Now there are two towns spawning zombies and my north flank is wide open.

Ah, at least this is still Easy with 2 afk players and I'm at the top of the board with 312 honor

In other news, Pale blue is still trying to cap the neutral towns near me. You can't see from the screenshot but he's moving his gnomes down... I think my elves can out run him. If not, I'll hasten them with a centaur army next tax season. Also I'm in negotiations with Red to get mucho coins in exchange for a nearby town. This game is so fun.

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Sorry. :oops:

I am about to take care of the source of the problem. (edit: I hope.) I gifted you Oretown, and any other yellow cities I end up with I'll gift to you too.

Honestly, as frustrating as the dwarves have been this game, I've somewhat enjoyed the slow crumbling of my kingdom as I try to buy time for the elves, goblins, and orcs, rally to wipe out the zombies.

That and I now have a level 12 Cyclops Commander who's been bringing the noise on my western front. It's so rewarding to capture cities that you've lost.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I STILL don't have enough money every turn to buy all the reinforcements I possibly can!

I MUST BUILD MORE MERCHANT CARAVANS.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Seriously?

botimerchants.jpg

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, Swordtown doesn't have one yet.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    31st December 2010
    Today there is a new small 4 player map available for you to try. We are in the process of moving to hex tile system that will make it easyier for us to create new maps in future. We'd love your help testing it! And please let me know if you need an extra player for your game, I havn't played it MP with anybody yet!

After recieveing a lot of good feedback yesterday we decided to go ahead and add the range restriction on independent army purchases. Thanks everybody who wrote in! From now on, you need to have an army within 24 hours march of an independent before you can buy it. Note this distance is measured as the crow flies, a road between locations is not required.

For the rest of the week I will be nerfing some units and making others more useful. I'll improve the power descriptions and try and make the zombies use thier powers more.

Clearly, someone should start up a new game (or two) on the new 4p map.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Doublepost, but we now have confirmation that the orc ability will work on all (at least friendly) units, not just your own. I am now the proud owner of two 42 strength dwarfs. Thanks, Victarion!

edit: Also, I think they gave me an Immortal Key for sending in bug reports. I've started up Arcadian Bloodbath (here), on the 4p map. Usual password.
    wang

Darian on
  • Options
    BirdsWayBirdsWay Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The 24 hour range works much better than the adjacent city range I think. Also, it will be fun to see the zombies actually use their powers instead of charge blindly at you.

BirdsWay on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dead Men Walking

So this game's pretty much over.

I've lost unless I start murdering people around me to give the zombies a leg up and I just don't have that in me. At least not in an all-PA game.

e: Eh, even then the zombie are done for in like 2 days tops.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It's a co-op game; everyone wins together. It's just some people look better doing it than others.

If we get a fourth player for Arcadian Bloodbath (link) within the next 2 hours, I'll start it tonight. Otherwise, I'll start it up in the morning.

Darian on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's a co-op game; everyone wins together. It's just some people look better doing it than others.

If we get a fourth player for Arcadian Bloodbath (link) within the next 2 hours, I'll start it tonight. Otherwise, I'll start it up in the morning.

Hey Darian, would you mind trading your red and orange for my blue and yellow, for old times sake?

Vic on
  • Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So glad I checked this thread, was hoping to get a chance to play the 4 player map.

Ghlinn on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited December 2010
    Vic wrote: »

Hey Darian, would you mind trading your red and orange for my blue and yellow, for old times sake?

No! Trade them to me! To meeee!

Tiger Burning on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

No! Trade them to me! To meeee!

It will be more effective if we pair up, that way we will be able to use three bribes on the first day to maximize our incomes.

And Darian, I just realised I have no use for my green either and it appears you have no use for purple in your home area. Maybe we should do a full trade, your purple orange red for my green blue yellow.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Works for me!

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Is there demand for a second 4 player map? I can set one up if there is.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd play on a 4 player map.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Holy crap. Darkwolfe letting those zombies through has pretty much turned Annihilation into a nightmare.

Very Hard is so totally the way to play. This is actually challenging!

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Someone should start a new very hard game for me to play in :p
    I just declared war on paradiso in an attempt to draw out dead men walking
    But he's so much stronger than me i expect to be crushed like a bug very shortly. I do have one army of elven hunters strong enough to insta kill armies with hunt which is pretty win though

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    But he's so much stronger than me i expect to be crushed like a bug very shortly. I do have one army of elven hunters strong enough to insta kill armies with hunt which is pretty win though

Haha. Awesome. Unfortunately I think the game is going to end in 14 hours, when the last zombie dies. I think that's how it works, anyway.

Tiger Burning on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Holy crap. Darkwolfe letting those zombies through has pretty much turned Annihilation into a nightmare.

Actually, the orange horde is at 3/8 the total zombie strength, and rising. As they make contact, the zombies will just keep getting pushed back.

From this morning's email:
    Our scouts tell us there are at least 153 zombie hordes with a combined military strength of over 4048 wandering the land. 41 Locations have been afflicted with the Blight.

http://blight.ironhelmet.com/game/3127500

Kingdom Status Reports
    Inksplat 270 Honor
    16 Locations
    182 Strength in 18 Armies

Imperfect 273 Honor
    16 Locations
    298 Strength in 19 Armies

Glin 665 Honor
    12 Locations
    245 Strength in 7 Armies

Darkewolfe 687 Honor
    7 Locations
    94 Strength in 5 Armies

Victarion 838 Honor
    15 Locations
    1528 Strength in 19 Armies

Ramian 395 Honor
    10 Locations
    201 Strength in 5 Armies

Darian 1091 Honor
    17 Locations
    269 Strength in 14 Armies

Basil 503 Honor
    15 Locations
    201 Strength in 17 Armies

Darian on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Those orcs are definitely OP compared to what humans have to offer.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Traders + the human special ability make humans really bulky really fast

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Orc units have super imbalanced abilities.

Seems more than countered by having a bad starting location, though.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »

Actually, the orange horde is at 3/8 the total zombie strength, and rising. As they make contact, the zombies will just keep getting pushed back.

From this morning's email:
    Our scouts tell us there are at least 153 zombie hordes with a combined military strength of over 4048 wandering the land. 41 Locations have been afflicted with the Blight.

http://blight.ironhelmet.com/game/3127500

Kingdom Status Reports
    Inksplat 270 Honor
    16 Locations
    182 Strength in 18 Armies

Imperfect 273 Honor
    16 Locations
    298 Strength in 19 Armies

Glin 665 Honor
    12 Locations
    245 Strength in 7 Armies

Darkewolfe 687 Honor
    7 Locations
    94 Strength in 5 Armies

Victarion 838 Honor
    15 Locations
    1528 Strength in 19 Armies

Ramian 395 Honor
    10 Locations
    201 Strength in 5 Armies

Darian 1091 Honor
    17 Locations
    269 Strength in 14 Armies

Basil 503 Honor
    15 Locations
    201 Strength in 17 Armies

I think I might have screwed up in our four player game though. I spent all my red coins on bribing two orc armies, only to have the two cities I gained stormed by overwhelming forces within the first 24 hours. I should be able to take back greenskin fort within 30 hours and hopefully wormshadow in a similar timeframe, but those are a lot of damned orc zombies up in my northwest and I am utterly starved of red coins. Somehow I suspect it will be hard to convince tiger burning to send over 20 red coins at this stage.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I'm playing that position in another 4p game and decided it would be better to let the zombies take out those orcs rather than bribe them. I figure with trolls and shaman, I should be able to retake the positions easily enough, later. Hopefully.

Also, that scoring update makes sappers and shaman ridiculous (Vic's score jumped by 800 points between this morning's email and now, when the system seems to have given him credit for all the stealth and magic kills he has racked up over the course of the game.)

Darian on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I'm playing that position in another 4p game and decided it would be better to let the zombies take out those orcs rather than bribe them. I figure with trolls and shaman, I should be able to retake the positions easily enough, later. Hopefully.

Also, that scoring update makes sappers and shaman ridiculous (Vic's score jumped by 800 points between this morning's email and now, when the system seems to have given him credit for all the stealth and magic kills he has racked up over the course of the game.)

sappers?

valiance on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I think I might have screwed up in our four player game though. I spent all my red coins on bribing two orc armies, only to have the two cities I gained stormed by overwhelming forces within the first 24 hours. I should be able to take back greenskin fort within 30 hours and hopefully wormshadow in a similar timeframe, but those are a lot of damned orc zombies up in my northwest and I am utterly starved of red coins. Somehow I suspect it will be hard to convince tiger burning to send over 20 red coins at this stage.

Yeah, I don't have it to give. The zombies overran 2 of my 4 red towns right off the bat, killing 1 orc army. I'm only making like 8R a turn for now, and will need most of that to power the shaman.

Tiger Burning on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    valiance wrote: »

sappers?

The stealthy assassins. Hiding in the shadows, hitting people over the head with small clubs.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I was deeply suspicious of your troop movements! Too bad it didn't last longer so we could have duked it out.

Started up another 4 player map for those that are interested.

Dead Can Dance

http://blight.ironhelmet.com/game/3538592

The password, as always:
    wang

Paradiso on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Gonna be AFK today, guys. On a train across Ontario, and my laptop is packed too tightly to dig out.

However, the Eastern Men of Annihilation are moving out!

Imperfect on