As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East D&D

Rx925Rx925 Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
Will anybody at PAX East be playing D&D because I sure am interested in playing with new people.

Rx925 on

• Rx925Rx925 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PS I am willing to DM if need be
    WARNING: I have never truly DM'd before and have only a small amount of minis

Rx925 on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    your thread asking this exact same question got moved last time to the FAQ, there was a notice up for a day that it was moved.

It may be useful to try a different thread technique like:

"I would like to set up a D&D game for the D&D room at East, who's interested and what type of adventure would you want to play? What rules would you want to use?" etc etc etc

zerzhul on
    edited December 2010
    Ooooooh ok, sorry about that. This is my first time on this forum so I am still getting familiar with the rules, etc,etc,
    But do I have to set up a game or can I just join one??? I am a VERY inexperienced/bad DM.

Rx925 on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Well if I remember right, last year they had pretty structured setups for some, and just general "space" for others. You could volunteer to DM a structured game or play in a structured game, or find some folks and just do something on your own in the tabletop freeplay space.

If you want to join one that's being set up, try to get to the D&D room as early as possible as player slots filled up incredibly fast last year (but they seemed to always be looking for DMs).

zerzhul on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The simple answer is Yes, a lot of people at PAX East will be playing D&D.

Wizards of the Coast runs "official" D&D events. Last year at East, this included "Intro to D&D", "Encounters" sessions 1 & 2, a Delve, a Dark Sun preview event, and a DM Challenge. These were extremely popular and you had to go to the WotC/D&D area and sign up - most sign-ups were full within the first few hours, although for the Delve I believe they did first come/first serve lines which took an hour or two.

As for organizing your own D&D game, of course you are more than welcome to do so. There is the Pre-PAX gaming night (with its own thread), as well as the Tabletop Area at PAX itself.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For what its worth, we of the PAX UK contingent have been running a DND 4th edition campaign and are planning to be running games in turn. This will mean we'll be ready to run some games at PAX East! So if you want to have a British DM run a game, complete with excellent 'bad guy' voice work, for we Brits are excellent at those, then we'd be more than happy to run a game.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I actually am going with a group this year and 3 out of the 4 of us play D&D. Very much looking forward to getting in some games for some new experiences!

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

edited December 2010
    That actually sounds pretty cool. Does my character have to be any set level???

Rx925 on
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kropotkin wrote: »
    For what its worth, we of the PAX UK contingent have been running a DND 4th edition campaign and are planning to be running games in turn. This will mean we'll be ready to run some games at PAX East! So if you want to have a British DM run a game, complete with excellent 'bad guy' voice work, for we Brits are excellent at those, then we'd be more than happy to run a game.

Yes please.

Also, it sounds like there are, but do people play loose games that aren't necessarily strict to the rules? I know it depends on the DM, but as I've only played with three differnt DMs in my time, I want to know if I should memorize the rule book before heading out there. I want to play lots of DnD this year at PAX.

RainbowTunnel on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There's usually some gaming nights held in a really close hotel to PAX Wed and/or Thurs night.

Here's a thread for discussion for East 2011 http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=131272

Should be some D&D going on amongst other games.

Rdr on
  • AsmodeusLoreAsmodeusLore Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also, it sounds like there are, but do people play loose games that aren't necessarily strict to the rules? I know it depends on the DM, but as I've only played with three differnt DMs in my time, I want to know if I should memorize the rule book before heading out there. I want to play lots of DnD this year at PAX.
    Know the basics, and the details for your own character and you will be fine. Part of the DM's job is to know the rules, but the better you know them, the smoother the game will go. By no means should you attempt to memorize the book.

If you want to get more comfortable with the rules, then consider joining one of the introduction to D&D games set up by Wizards of the Coast. They fill up fast though, so you will want to sign up early.

AsmodeusLore on
  • ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know of any official WotC plans for this year but I would stress a point. Last year, the WotC people let you sign up for their official games on the first day, for any of the following days. Which meant if you had a one day pass for the last day, they were completely filled by the time the doors open and you had to wait in line to see if people did not show.

This was not clear to people, even many people who were there all three days, and I am under the impression Wizards got a lot of complaints. I hope that this year, they will either have open registration online or something, or only allow sign ups on the day of. Until you here that this is the case, I would try to be there the first day.

As for not-official DnD. I have every intention to run a session or two this year. I have a group of mid heroic encounters that I think would work very well as a one-shot.

Scorpius on
    edited December 2010
    Scorpius wrote: »
    I don't know of any official WotC plans for this year but I would stress a point. Last year, the WotC people let you sign up for their official games on the first day, for any of the following days. Which meant if you had a one day pass for the last day, they were completely filled by the time the doors open and you had to wait in line to see if people did not show.

This was not clear to people, even many people who were there all three days, and I am under the impression Wizards got a lot of complaints. I hope that this year, they will either have open registration online or something, or only allow sign ups on the day of. Until you here that this is the case, I would try to be there the first day.

As for not-official DnD. I have every intention to run a session or two this year. I have a group of mid heroic encounters that I think would work very well as a one-shot.

You could actually sign-up for the WotC D&D sessions before PAX, but I'm not sure where they advertised this. If I recall correctly, Willi only had a handful of names pre-register.

FYI, Willi Burger ([email protected]) is the guy who usually runs east coast D&D events for WotC (NYCC, PAX, etc). He is in charge of getting judges (DMs) signed up, as well as taking reservations for player slots. I've sent him an email looking for information about PAX East 2011 but haven't heard anything back as yet.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited December 2010
    flatline wrote: »

You could actually sign-up for the WotC D&D sessions before PAX, but I'm not sure where they advertised this. If I recall correctly, Willi only had a handful of names pre-register.

FYI, Willi Burger ([email protected]) is the guy who usually runs east coast D&D events for WotC (NYCC, PAX, etc). He is in charge of getting judges (DMs) signed up, as well as taking reservations for player slots. I've sent him an email looking for information about PAX East 2011 but haven't heard anything back as yet.

Some one-shot DnD sounds best, seeing as there's only three days and lots to do besides that (though I'd blissfully give my life and limb of three days to play).

As for WofC and Willi Burger, I think we'd all be on the edges of our seats to pre-reg. When you happen to hear anything about it from him, we'd love to know. Probably better than all of us bombarding him with e-mails all asking the same question.

RainbowTunnel on
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I might be interested in partaking, but with my attention span (lack thereof), or the unsobered state I plan on maintaining throughout the convention, I might only be able to contribute innuendos, snacks, and belated observations that result in my expectedly swift but epic death.

Wait, what am I talking about? That's the best way to play D&D...

Twinkie on
  • ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've never played D & D, though It's certainly caught my attention and I'm definitely interested in learning. Is PAX a good place to learn how to play, or should I find some experience beforehand?

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
    edited January 2011
    I'd say PAX is a fine place to learn how to play - I haven't heard back from Willi, but they almost always run events specifically geared towards teaching new players the ropes. There will also be tons of "unofficial" games that won't mind another player willing to learn.

Learning the mechanics are easiest during an actual game. You could familiarize yourself with the basic attributes and skills that make up a character, but I find that it usually doesn't "click" for a new player until you're actually cleaving the head from a gnoll. One thing that could be helpful would be to listen to the Penny Arcade official D&D podcasts. Those will give you a feel for how the game is paced and played - who does what, when, and why. Especially if you start with the first one, Mike had never played D&D before, so a lot of it is explained to him as they go.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/podcasts.aspx

You might not know what your Strength modifier is from memory, but it will be less confusing when the DM tells you that you're rolling Strength vs AC to Cleave the goblin, or asks you to make a Perception check.

flatline on
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Plus those podcasts are hilariously fantastic. You don't mess with the Jim Darkmagic Magic!

Halfazedninja on

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I fully agree about listening to the podcasts. Before I heard them I had no interest at all in playing. Now i really want to play my first game at PAX East if not before. The Wizards of the Coast Podcast on iTunes has all episodes including the live game at PAX Prime 2010.

nevermore13 on
  • mmarandammaranda Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I believer Wizards of the Coast (WotC) will have a presence at PAX East and if it is anything like last year it will be busy but they will have DMs and tables just to teach new players D&D.

Best of luck,

mmaranda on
  • BurtranBurtran Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I plan on DMing once or twice over the weekend, helping out in the WotC section or running my own thing in the Tabletop Area.

Burtran on
  • JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd totally be down to play and I know of 2-3 others who also would. I've actually never played as a PC before. I've only been DMing since my friends and I got into it a few months back. I would love to experience the game from the other perspective.

Jerkfish on
  • DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    flatline wrote: »
    The simple answer is Yes, a lot of people at PAX East will be playing D&D.

Wizards of the Coast runs "official" D&D events. Last year at East, this included "Intro to D&D", "Encounters" sessions 1 & 2, a Delve, a Dark Sun preview event, and a DM Challenge. These were extremely popular and you had to go to the WotC/D&D area and sign up - most sign-ups were full within the first few hours, although for the Delve I believe they did first come/first serve lines which took an hour or two.

As for organizing your own D&D game, of course you are more than welcome to do so. There is the Pre-PAX gaming night (with its own thread), as well as the Tabletop Area at PAX itself.

All very true.

Also Rx925 the TT HQ/Library tries to have a "Looking for Group" whiteboard so lone wolf Attendees can find find a group to join or groups can find that one more player they need. If you are on Twitter you can try "#ttlfg" which is the official LFG hashtag.

Though I think you'll probably get your players in advance from these forums.

Drain on
    N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
    edited January 2011
    I have a question. Is it encouraged to bring some premade characters so you're ready to go? Question goes for pick up games and official games as well.

I just made a drunk dwarf monk I want to play with :D

Halfazedninja on

• Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay, so I have to admit that I am one of "those" people who refuse to jump to 4.0. Is there anyone interested in playing a 3.0/.5 game?

Lady Amalthea on
    Who is going to PAX South?
    edited January 2011
    Okay, so I have to admit that I am one of "those" people who refuse to jump to 4.0. Is there anyone interested in playing a 3.0/.5 game?

My group was reluctant to go with 4E, now they're having a blast with it.

Halfazedninja on

edited January 2011

I don't really play 3.x anymore, but I'm open to playing/running something for Pathfinder.

Burtran on
    edited January 2011

I'm with you there. I'll be up for some 3.5 action.

RainbowTunnel on
  • DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have a question. Is it encouraged to bring some premade characters so you're ready to go? Question goes for pick up games and official games as well.

I just made a drunk dwarf monk I want to play with :D

To extend the question: if we can bring our own characters, should they be in any specific level range?

Durinthal on
    edited January 2011
    Durinthal wrote: »
    To extend the question: if we can bring our own characters, should they be in any specific level range?
    I might be able to answer that one. I'm sure there are going to be all types of games available to join of various levels. I'm thinking I'm going to make a few at different ranges just in case. I have the program on my laptop anyway so I can scale characters if/when necessary.

Halfazedninja on

• ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I plan to run 1 or 2, D&D 4e games. I'm waiting to see the schedule and what WotC has planned before finalizing or any specific character level. If I remember, and maybe I'll get a reminder, I'll try to plan the game I'm running earlier on and then push the adventure to the web, so if someone else gets a pickup game together they can grab what I made for PAX.

Hoping to grab some other systems in the gaming area. Would love to try Leverage, GammaWorld and Pathfinder.

Scorpius on
    edited January 2011
    I plan to run 1 or 2, D&D 4e games. I'm waiting to see the schedule and what WotC has planned before finalizing or any specific character level. If I remember, and maybe I'll get a reminder, I'll try to plan the game I'm running earlier on and then push the adventure to the web, so if someone else gets a pickup game together they can grab what I made for PAX.

Hoping to grab some other systems in the gaming area. Would love to try Leverage, GammaWorld and Pathfinder.
    I keep looking at Gamma World with a shifty eye. It looks really fun, but a little strange. Would love to try it out at PAX.

Halfazedninja on

edited January 2011
    Gamma World is a blast. I've been running the core adventure for some friends. Really wacky and random, especially if one gets the first expansion, doubling the character origins. The PA comic about it sums it up quite succintly. Picture a party composed of a stone yeti, psychic cat, and hawkman with a raygun. If it sounds awesome, then you'll enjoy Gamma World. If it sounds too silly, then you might want to pass on it. Heck, what am I saying. You should try it regardless!

Burtran on
    edited January 2011
    Burtran wrote: »
    Gamma World is a blast. I've been running the core adventure for some friends. Really wacky and random, especially if one gets the first expansion, doubling the character origins. The PA comic about it sums it up quite succintly. Picture a party composed of a stone yeti, psychic cat, and hawkman with a raygun. If it sounds awesome, then you'll enjoy Gamma World. If it sounds too silly, then you might want to pass on it. Heck, what am I saying. You should try it regardless!

That actually sounds really fun. I may have to check it out.

Halfazedninja on

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    FYI, I'm also one of the nubs who has limited experience with the latest iterations of DnD and I'm looking forward for any open games or spots for beginners with official WotC events.

If I have some time I'll do my homework and make a few different beginner characters to carry around with me. No clue if they will be needed but why not take some time to be prepared?

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    edited January 2011
    Frugus wrote: »
    If I have some time I'll do my homework and make a few different beginner characters to carry around with me. No clue if they will be needed but why not take some time to be prepared?

Personally, I think this is something everyone planning on playing DnD should do. Have a few different characters for a few different versions/situations/levels so that you're flexible. Sure, they may need a bit of modifying here or there to fit in with a specific adventure, but at least you can spend the hour it would take building a character from scratch to actually play! I also like reusing characters from the past. Maybe it's just me, but I get attached to my characters. Recycling ftw!

RainbowTunnel on
  • DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You could also have the same character at Level 1, 3, 7 and 10 printed and ready to go. Printers are not easy to find at PAX. Not sure what the average level is for a convention delve but I'm pretty sure it's not 1.

Drain on
    N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • xipetotecxipetotec Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Do you guys think there will BE games that will have pregens ? Kind of like what they've been doing for the D&D Encounters? I'm a super N00b, but really getting into the idea of D&D4E and would like to be able to plop into a game somewhere. My experience so far has been DMing for my kids, and I'd like to play in a "real" game as a PC.

xipetotec on
    edited January 2011
    xipetotec wrote: »
    Do you guys think there will BE games that will have pregens ? Kind of like what they've been doing for the D&D Encounters? I'm a super N00b, but really getting into the idea of D&D4E and would like to be able to plop into a game somewhere. My experience so far has been DMing for my kids, and I'd like to play in a "real" game as a PC.

I'm sure some of the official WotC games will have some pregens for their games. I think they did that last year if I'm not mistaken.

Halfazedninja on

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Whoever pointed me to the PA Podcasts on Wizards of the Coast web site: You are awesome.

It will be a tad easier to wait for PAX now.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
This discussion has been closed.