As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East D&D

123457»

• BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Piratecat wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm the admin over at the D&D messageboard enworld.org. I have no doubt that some of our folks (and some people from circvsmaximvs.org) will be running D&D. I'll check on details.

I also have one opening in a Paranoia game that I'm running Saturday evening, 6pm-10pm. It'd be pretty friggin' awesome if someone from here jumped in. It's also fine for someone who's never role played before; no rules knowledge is necessary, and while Paranoia isn't exactly what you'd call "cooperative" it is hilarious.

Also, blatant plug. I'm in two of the D&D panels on Friday, "D&D Edition Wars" and "the Rat Bastard's Guide to a Long Campaign." Come see us and heckle!

While I'd love to play in your Paranoia game, I can't commit my Saturday night just yet. Maybe if something pops up on the spot I'll get in on it.

And I'll try to get into the Edition Wars panel and see you there. Long Campaign I plan to miss - we clearly have different opinions on the best campaign length. But hey, whatever works people and their groups.

BeerNgaming on
  • PiratecatPiratecat Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    While I'd love to play in your Paranoia game, I can't commit my Saturday night just yet. Maybe if something pops up on the spot I'll get in on it.
    Sounds great. I'll reserve the spot for the first fun person who knows they can make it, and we'll obviously open it up at the time if it turns out we have space. You'd be totally welcome if it happens to work out.

Piratecat on
  • Willi BurgerWilli Burger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    darren66 wrote: »
    I hate to be that guy... But this thread is getting a little long and the OP isn't updating...

Is there anyone (WOTC, RPGA, etc) that is running scheduled dungeon delves, and if so what is the schedule?

Here is the WOTC D&D Schedule again:

Wizards of the Coast sponsored D&D Events
    D&D Dungeon Delve. This event runs continuously. A one hour play experience. Play until you defeat the two encounters or die! Characters are provided.

D&D Learn-to-Play. Want to learn how to play D&D 4th Edition? We’ll teach you all the basics, and send you out on your first adventure! Everything is provided for you, and you can even keep your character. A 2 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience.
    Runs Friday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm and 9 pm; Saturday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm, and 9 pm; Sunday 11 am, 1 pm, and 3 pm.

Heroes of Shadow preview event! Kalarel’s Revenge by Shawn Merwin. When heroes defeated the evil priest Kalarel at the Keep on the Shadowfell, they averted a terrible threat. Evil has a way of surviving, though, and the death of a powerful necromancer has ramifications. Now, it’s going to take betrayal, greed, and revenge if anyone wants to survive the perils in the Cairngorm peaks. This official D&D Classic adventure uses 4th level pre-generated characters and highlights three new products: Dungeon Tile: Caverns of Icewind Dale, Player Options: Heroes of Shadow, and Monster Vault 2: Threats to the Nentir Vale. A 4 hour D&D play experience.
    Runs Friday 7 pm.

D&D Encounters, The Phantom Brigade. Venture into the perilous Nentir Vale with a heroic band of adventurers. D&D Encounters is an exciting, weekly campaign that plays out one epic encounter at a time. As you defeat enemies, solve puzzles, finish quests, and perform heroic deeds, you’ll earn Renown Points that you can use to get exclusive rewards.
    Each session only takes 1-2 hours to play, so it’s easy to fit your game in after school or work. And each week there’s a new and exciting challenge. Jump in anytime!
    At Pax East we will run catch up sessions of the first chapter (encounters #1 -4), as well as the current week’s encounter, #5. You can do the catch up session, or start with #5. Continue the adventure Wednesdays at your favorite local game store.
    The first chapter is a 4 - 6 hour play experience and runs Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at 11 am.
    Encounter 5 is a 60 - 90 minute play experience and runs Friday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm and 9 pm; Saturday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm, and 9 pm; Sunday 11 am, 1 pm, and 3 pm.

Castle Ravenloft. Evil lurks in the towers and dungeons of Castle Ravenloft, and only heroes of exceptional bravery can survive the horrors within. Designed for 1–5 players, this boardgame features multiple scenarios. A 60 - 90 play experience.
    Runs Friday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm and 9 pm; Saturday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm, and 9 pm; Sunday 11 am, 1 pm, and 3 pm.

Wrath of Ashardalon. Within an ominous volcano lies a maze of tunnels and chambers, and deep within this monsterinfested labyrinth lurks the most terrifying creature of all: a red dragon! A 60 - 90 minute play experience.

The DungeonMaster’s Challenge. DMs bring their best and most dangerous 8th-level dragon themed adventures for you to conquer; rate your play experience to determine the best adventure of the evening! 8th-level characters are provided.
    A 4 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience. Last year the DM Challenge was a fantastic success with many judges serving up wonderful adventures. Scoring was very close and a good time was had by all. Please consider playing or DMing this event!
    Runs Saturday 7 pm

All events run in Exhibit Hall B1

Willi Burger on
  • BlasTechBlasTech Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Any information on signing up for WoTC events? Is it first come first serve? Is it it like last time (from what I've read) and you can sign up on the first day for all events, so they fill up very fast? Can I sign up now, for any of them?

BlasTech on
    Black Hat Crew : NERDCORE : www.myspace.com/blackhatcrew
  • ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wizards Events are all line based this year. No Sign Ups. Show up before the event like you would for a panel.

Scorpius on
    edited March 2011
    Scorpius wrote: »
    Wizards Events are all line based this year. No Sign Ups. Show up before the event like you would for a panel.

Awesome, thank you dude.

BlasTech on
    edited March 2011
    One thing is great: the space for gaming is now something like four times larger than last year. I'm hoping there's ample DMs from Willi to go around.

Piratecat on
  • SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm warning you Scorpius, now that the Pokecrawl challenges are all laid out, I'll probably still be drunk when we play :)

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• luceklucek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We've got thunder showers for Friday morning. Might be interesting to see if they're audible in the gaming room. It would be very atmospheric.

lucek on
    edited March 2011
    Piratecat wrote: »
    One thing is great: the space for gaming is now something like four times larger than last year. I'm hoping there's ample DMs from Willi to go around.

We've got more DMs than last year, but there's still space. If somebody wants to DM we can still fit them in. And I still have 3 day badges.

Willi Burger on
    edited March 2011
    We've got more DMs than last year, but there's still space. If somebody wants to DM we can still fit them in. And I still have 3 day badges.
    Willi, it'll be great to see you! I'll swing by, and hopefully grab a D&D table.

- Kevin Kulp

Piratecat on
  • BalmagooseBalmagoose Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Email sent to DMs mentioned a meetup tomorrow morning (Friday) in front of the convention center to grab last minute details.

Is that being scrapped/moved because of potentially wet weather?

Balmagoose on
    edited March 2011
    Balmagoose wrote: »
    Email sent to DMs mentioned a meetup tomorrow morning (Friday) in front of the convention center to grab last minute details.

Is that being scrapped/moved because of potentially wet weather?

Looks like they will let us inside. More to follow.

Willi Burger on
  • TyshalleTyshalle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just wanted to say last minute that I'm looking forward to finally learning how to play D&D and other tabletop RPG's this year as it's one of the only type of games I don't already play. Looking forward to seeing all of you there!

Tyshalle on
    edited March 2011
    For those attending my non WotC Events I will have a small sign. It says:

Dungeons & Dragons For Keynote Line

and

StufferShack.com Presents Dungeons & Dragons

Remember meet in Floor 2 Lobby, near floor 3 escalators for Keynote event. In tabletop area for StufferShack Presents.

Scorpius on
  • luceklucek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can't find were I put my dragon figure. (something 6" tall is hardly a mini) I guess I'll just have to wing it.

lucek on
    edited March 2011
    If you guys were coming to fight Asmodeus, I'd ask that you please try and bring a level 30. Everything else is all set but suddenly I'm having trouble with my builder and I just do not know how many 30s I will end up showing up with.

Scorpius on
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    quick question: if i'm looking to do a WotC learn to play, how early should i arrive? looking over my planned schedule, i'd ideally like to do a sunday game, but i'm worried if it fills up and i don't make it, i won't have another chance before the end of pax.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited March 2011
    Well the line system was different last year, but I'd guess about twenty minutes early would be wise. Besides, they're fun lines.

Scorpius on
  • LordGimmikLordGimmik Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My friend and I have never played D&D, or any tabletop pen and paper game. We would love to try it out Sunday. Will anybody be doing short (30 minutes) sample games or something? We just want to see what it's all about before we commit a lot of time and resources into finding/starting a gaming group. PM me if you want to set something up. We're both from the Boston area and will be looking to join a D&D group if we like it.

LordGimmik on
  • slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It might have been mentioned once or twice already, but WotC will be running Learn to Play sessions every two hours all weekend long. I'd consider checking those out if I were you.

Have Fun!

slamonella on
    Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • BalmagooseBalmagoose Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I will be participating as a DM for the "Learn to Play" sessions for a few hours both on Saturday and Sunday. They are a lot of fund and really easy going, so perfect for people who want to see what D&D is all about.

The two hour time commitment isn't really all that bad. If you plan on being at the convention from open till close you're going to have some downtime at some point. You'll want to take a break from walking around or standing in lines, so having something like this to do can really help keep you fresh for the whole day. Highly recommended.

Balmagoose on
    edited March 2011
    Yup. Everything got prepped properly but the Asmodeus challenge. The challenge is done but I only got one level 30 and I won't have access to a printer till we play. If other people bring 30s its still an option. Luckily the Lizardfolk is more than set other wise.

I'll see everyone in the morning.

Scorpius on
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For those attending my non WotC Events I will have a small sign. It says:

Dungeons & Dragons For Keynote Line

and

StufferShack.com Presents Dungeons & Dragons

Remember meet in Floor 2 Lobby, near floor 3 escalators for Keynote event. In tabletop area for StufferShack Presents.

We'll be there as soon as we get the BYOC equipment dropped off - see you in an hour and change!

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    . . . or not. Boston traffic sucks. Took me almost 2.5 hours to get to the BCEC from Lexington. Really sorry, Scorpius - hope you had enough to run without us!

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

edited March 2011
    Where is the WOTC LTP located? Im wandering around the tabletop area like a lost puppy, haha.

BlasTech on
    edited March 2011
    Haha, never mind. The GIANT SIGNS helped.

BlasTech on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you guys were coming to fight Asmodeus, I'd ask that you please try and bring a level 30. Everything else is all set but suddenly I'm having trouble with my builder and I just do not know how many 30s I will end up showing up with.

I made an epic level fail and I am sorry. I made notes for the game time and place but I was sure it was another Dm who was in charge. I tweeter this semi stranger four times. He had no idea what I was talking about and he had nothing to do with DnD.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    edited March 2011
    Khadour wrote: »
    . . . or not. Boston traffic sucks. Took me almost 2.5 hours to get to the BCEC from Lexington. Really sorry, Scorpius - hope you had enough to run without us!
    Ugh, that drive in was torture. Tomorrow should be a lot better.

slamonella on
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for everyone who played yesterday! We had a llot of fun. Don't worry about missing Asmodeus. The Lizardfolk group ran a little over anyway.

Scorpius on
  • SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Scorpius: follow me on twitter so I can direct message you. @soco_and_lime

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

edited March 2011
    DM challenge tonight was an absolute hoot. Played with great people and had a great DM even though he admitted he only worked on his challenge for about a day :)

Thank you PAX!

slamonella on
    edited March 2011
    You're followed Soco. I always forget that if I don't remember to follow people can't send me messages. My wireless has really sucked on my phone, so I'm hardly tweeting and hardly getting to check.

I did see you walk by our for Lizardfolk on Friday Soco. Tried to flag you down but I don't think you saw me. We were full up anyway.

DM's Challenge was awesome. Completely sold out way before I even got there, and came by to set up 30 mins early. I was told that one hour before there was already ninety people in line.

So here's to you last minute DMs (raises coffee)! Because of you're willingness to go to for it six more people each got to play.

Scorpius on
  • DhickmanDhickman Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Anyone know the results from the dm challenge. You know, who won?

Dhickman on
    edited March 2011
    Matthew Brenner or @mjbrenner.

Scorpius on
  • squeakyboysqueakyboy Registered User regular
    Does anyone know anything about organized D&D at Pax East 2012? I am looking to judge and have sent Willi B a couple of e-mails but no response. Was hoping to know for sure before the 3-day passes had been sold out. I definitely want to know before i book my flight.

This discussion has been closed.