As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pet hates within the realm of video games

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In fact, lets expand that to the fact taht I can't remember a recent open world game that let you make in game notes. Thankfully, the morrowind script extender let you make journal entries if you had a quill and ink.

Another thing Ultima Underworld did years ago that still hasn't been made standard - you could add notes directly to your map, as if you were writing on it. Useful for marking the position of a camp, interesting area, clue, or etc.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not sure if this one's been covered, but I hate fights that you have to lose in order for the game to progress. (Especially you, various Final Fantasy games).

If I absolutely must lose a fight, do one of these:
    1.) Have a huge fireball wipe me out immediately and go right to the cutscene so I know it was supposed to happen.
    2.) Take control away from me, so I know it's supposed to happen (the end of HL2:Ep2 did this the right way)
    3.) Just go to a cutscene in the first place and have me lose there.

DONT make me run around for 30 minutes using every item I so painstakingly saved up, restarting multiple times to try and win, just to find I'm sitting through a long ass cutsccene (that I can't skip through), that I can't restart out of, just so I can reload an earlier save when it ends to get all my items back! Grr!

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I love it when they have those scripted 'you will lose' RPG fights....and you can win them, if you know what you're doing. Xenogears has these. You get into a fight with one of the classic "I am so badass" guys who appears and dissapears at will, who does 9999 damage a turn (pretty much the max, and enough to kill you potentially in a single turn) and is intended to wreck your ass. But if you're smart, you can equip accessories that jump your evasion% up a ton, choose a party member with a skill that decreases his accuracy, and his attacks will miss about 90% of the time. You even get special items for winning the fight.

That I don't mind as much - it LOOKS like a stupid dick move, but it's actually a nice easter egg for the people who really love the game.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah Jihad, I'm totally fine with those fights. I hate the ones that look like a normal fight, except the guy has an infinite number of hitpoints, and it just goes on until you attrition out.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I love it when they have those scripted 'you will lose' RPG fights....and you can win them, if you know what you're doing. Xenogears has these. You get into a fight with one of the classic "I am so badass" guys who appears and dissapears at will, who does 9999 damage a turn (pretty much the max, and enough to kill you potentially in a single turn) and is intended to wreck your ass. But if you're smart, you can equip accessories that jump your evasion% up a ton, choose a party member with a skill that decreases his accuracy, and his attacks will miss about 90% of the time. You even get special items for winning the fight.

That I don't mind as much - it LOOKS like a stupid dick move, but it's actually a nice easter egg for the people who really love the game.

Alpha Weltall with Ether Doublers am I right?

Ha!

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    RaernRaern Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Oh yeah that reminds me of KOTOR.
    There's a scripted fight with the final boss in the middle of the game where you're supposed to get separated letting your friends escape while you hold him off. But I was so focused on force powers as a light side jedi consular that I spent the fight bouncing the boss's face off the nearest wall without him being able to touch me. Then the script kicks in and plays like I was losing.

Raern on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Raern wrote: »

Oh yeah that reminds me of KOTOR.
    There's a scripted fight with the final boss in the middle of the game where you're supposed to get separated letting your friends escape while you hold him off. But I was so focused on force powers as a light side jedi consular that I spent the fight bouncing the boss's face off the nearest wall without him being able to touch me. Then the script kicks in and plays like I was losing.
    Don't forget the kotor2 LP, where the great and powerful Nihilus was punched to death with ease while Visas insisted he was far too powerful to take on in a straight fight.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want buildings that are as big on the outside as they are on the inside. That was understandable in the days of 2D, the world maps at the time, etc., but it doesn't particularly make much sense nowadays.

Couscous on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thing is, most buildings are boring inside, and having to pay someone to model the entirety of some random apartment or office building seems silly when a player probably spends less than 5 minutes inside, or just blows it up or something.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm fairly sure that he's complaining about buildings being larger on the inside than on the outside, not the oppsite.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    Thing is, most buildings are boring inside, and having to pay someone to model the entirety of some random apartment or office building seems silly when a player probably spends less than 5 minutes inside, or just blows it up or something.

They always have shitloads of locked doors anyway so might as well use them for something logical.

They at least should not be bigger on the inside. A lot of modern RPGs are pretty bad at that.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I think the issue is more this;

So today i started up NWN 2 platinum. I enter the house of the first guy I talk to, its a 400 sq ft shack, about 10 by 40 on the outside... Maybe.

Inside its easily 40x80; 1600 sq feet, at least 4 times as large as the building on the outside.

I mean, i understand the whole "you only need to go into one area so that is what we are showing you" but holy lord can every building please not be a freaking TARDIS?

Edit: part of this is the "hugeitis" that comes with having to navigate in 3d and not getting stuck. Part of this is the "hugeitis" that comes from just making things huge for no apparent reason.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    In that case yeah I understand. It doesn't really bother me much, except in Bethesda games. Like the imperial palace in Oblivion is big on the outside, but inside its like 5x larger for some reason. Why not make it a truly massive building from the outside ALSO?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In that case yeah I understand. It doesn't really bother me much, except in Bethesda games. Like the imperial palace in Oblivion is big on the outside, but inside its like 5x larger for some reason. Why not make it a truly massive building from the outside ALSO?

Obviously buildings work on the same physics that rule over your gold and loot bags.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just realized two pet hates I really hate in games, and usually hit my in a combo, has these been discussed already? They mainly apply to strategy games, but I guess you can also apply them to other games.

1).- Having a bunch of characters, a limited amount of characters to use in game and having those that you don't use level up accordingly, so you have a small group of leveled badasses, with optimum equipment and skills, and a bunch of guys that haven't even finished a fight, aren't properly leveled and have not been upgraded.

2).- The game forcing you to use a certain character in a map, usually for story purposes; I find it annoying because I need to rethink my strategies according to the amount of available units I have now.

... But when you encounter BOTH, it pisses me off to no end. When you are forced to use a character you haven't even used, and the game doesn't autolevel or distributes experience points to those that don't fight; you are stuck with units you don't like or even know and you need to cut your own units.

Usually repeating the map until they have a decent level.

Unless experience isn't saved when you lose the round/map, then I get even more pissed.

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Now you made me think of Inventory Tetris, and I hate you for that.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    A badass character I can only use for five seconds. I'm looking at you, Legion.

Couscous on
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Raern wrote: »
    I like to be able to solve problems using what resources I have, not being forced to find the specific solution the game-maker intended.

Strongly agreed. I hate hackish solutions intended to force the player into behaving more stupidly than he otherwise would. Deathspank, for instance, has MMORPG-style "if the monster thinks it can't hit you, it turns invincible for some reason" code, despite being a single-player game, and you have to deliberately allow some enemies to get free hits on you just so they don't cheat their way through the fourth wall.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Couscous wrote: »

Related to that.

Characters who clearly break the rules of the society you've created for the sake of 'but it's cool!'.
    Like legion should be commented upon literally every encounter you have, and cause diplomatic disasters, but nope, he gets the odd line.

Leitner on
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Leitner wrote: »

Related to that.

Characters who clearly break the rules of the society you've created for the sake of 'but it's cool!'.
    Like legion should be commented upon literally every encounter you have, and cause diplomatic disasters, but nope, he gets the odd line.
    Bringing him onto the flotilla should result in your immediate execution.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Leitner wrote: »

Related to that.

Supposedly it's because
    the majority of people don't know what a Geth looks like.

Although I have been interested to see the reactions in the Flotilla, though I'm told they're minimal at best.

It was much more annoying in Chrono Trigger to have
    Magus running around the Middle Ages. There was seriously no one in the entire kingdom who knew what he looked like?

If he's the party leader the King even addresses him as Magus.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Perhaps people who see legion are spell bound, and think to shoot him but he's with Shepard, sort've like Fawkes with the Lone Wanderer in FO3. Although you have a good point, pretty much everyone would be "What the fuck"ing at his appearance.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wouldn't everyone know what a Geth looked like thanks to the power of video?

Couscous on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ah yes.

"Video"

A method of viewing events one has not personally seen.

We have dismissed that claim.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    But they have news people in ME. Wouldn't they just find out from watching the news?
    (When I wrote the first sentence I chuckled a tiny bit.)

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Modern FPS games that use regenerating health as an excuse for random bullshit. Having enemies pop out of nowhere or behind them because I could have no idea they were there at the time is not fun and makes it so the only way to play through without having to stop and heal a lot is to either take it really slowly or to memorize enemy placement. It doesn't help that a lot of them have shoddy hit detection so I can easily miss enemies. It doesn't help when there is often mandatory damage from things like jumping. It doesn't help that most of the enemies are fucking hard to see because they are gray against gray background.

God help you if you get damaged enough for the obligatory gray with blood on sides filter to be applied to make it harder to see any enemies you didn't see before getting shot at.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Single player games which all of a sudden give you an NPC to follow you around.

I've been playing a bunch of Oblivion recently, and the Fighters' Guild quests which have you team up are terrible when they don't let you tell your partner to stay behind. I'm a ranged fighter trying to shoot into melee in a cramped, dark tunnel, so don't blame me when you get an arrow in the neck.

It worked out for me in one quest, though, as I scored a necklace with a permanent boost to Speechcraft off the guy I was supposed to be saving. Sure made breaking the news to his dad easier.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pata wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed is a stealth game, it's mechanics are built for it.

I remember that mission to, it's awesome. It was really hard, but once you figure it out you're able to perfectly kill everyone without being notices.

That's not the point. There's lots of missions where if you lose stealth, you lose the assassination edge and have to fight through dudes or chase your target down, and there's a few where you fail if you lose stealth because the idea is that no one should know it was you, for political reasons. That's cool and makes sense. Failing the mission because the guy is hiding behind a wooden door? That's pretty fucking dumb.

I didn't have any trouble with the mission when I did it the way they wanted me to, it's just stupid that I had to do it that way. Hiding from a handful of guards of the same type as I've been slaughtering mercilessly the whole game to kill a guy who is stuck on a boat and has no escape is idiotic.

And I just remembered another one: guards in a later sequence are immune to smoke bombs for no apparent reason. If you want to make a section more challenging, justify it or find another way than arbitrarily disabling player abilities.

You can totally punk out that ship assassination.
    You air assassinate the two guards at the top of the stares, and can then shoot the guard patrolling on the wharf. Nobody notices you firing a gun off, but they notice the dead body on the wharf all of a sudden. Then the hilarity happens: they try to jump from the ship to the wharf, and a whole bunch of them will just fall into the water including the two brutes and most of the ship.

This makes it a lot easier to swim around the side, assassinate the guy up by the wheel (since there's only one there now) and then air assassinate the actual target.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If I've got a ranged weapon, and the enemy mob only has melee attacks, and my party mates are circled around the mob smacking the shit out of it while I stand twenty feet away shooting arrows into it, said mob should not be able to flail its arms in the air and hit me just because I'm the "designated target."

And no, I don't play MMOs. That was White Knight Chronicles' spectacular combat decision.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bursar wrote: »
    If I've got a ranged weapon, and the enemy mob only has melee attacks, and my party mates are circled around the mob smacking the shit out of it while I stand twenty feet away shooting arrows into it, said mob should not be able to flail its arms in the air and hit me just because I'm the "designated target."

And no, I don't play MMOs. That was White Knight Chronicles' spectacular combat decision.

That's not quite what WKC was doing. It targeted you because at some point you were close enough to target.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

That's not quite what WKC was doing. It targeted you because at some point you were close enough to target.

Sure, it was close enough to target me; you can't even initiate combat without getting into the enemy's aggro range. I'd run away, and my party would start attacking it. That doesn't mean I can't complain about the enemy waving in my general direction and hitting me from across the room just because two minutes ago it thought it had a chance to hit me.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Black Ops gripe:

How many times do you have to do the "open door, get smacked in the face by some dude" thing? That really wore thin.

Muramasa18 on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Sure, it was close enough to target me; you can't even initiate combat without getting into the enemy's aggro range. I'd run away, and my party would start attacking it. That doesn't mean I can't complain about the enemy waving in my general direction and hitting me from across the room just because two minutes ago it thought it had a chance to hit me.

You can easily initiate combat without getting into range. I do it all the time with a mage. And the reason there's that weird delay is because of the online component.

But yes, the delay was really annoying and it's too bad they couldn't have made the animations shorter or something to make combat flow better. The whole system really just ends up being a Turn based thing where range only matters right at the start of the fight.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Ah yes.

"Video"

A method of viewing events one has not personally seen.

We have dismissed that claim.

A++ Would read again

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Muramasa18 wrote: »
    Black Ops gripe:

How many times do you have to do the "open door, get smacked in the face by some dude" thing? That really wore thin.

Or the "shoot the guy with a gun while it is all slow mo" cutscene.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Muramasa18 wrote: »
    Black Ops gripe:

Or the "shoot the guy with a gun while it is all slow mo" cutscene.

In fact, Call of Duty's really gone overboard with the slow-mo "shock" sequences. It was cool in CoD4. MW2 had too many. Black Ops tried to do one every single mission.

Muramasa18 on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Watch, in two games, we are going to get a game that has all the characters standing still, no talking, then someone will draw their hand gun and shoot someone else and put it away.

No talking
    No speeches
    No dramatic camera angles
    No slow motion
    1 camera shot the entire scene.

It will be ground breaking.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Call of Duty 9: Are You Shocked Yet?

Muramasa18 on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Watch, in two games, we are going to get a game that has all the characters standing still, no talking, then someone will draw their hand gun and shoot someone else and put it away.

No talking
    No speeches
    No dramatic camera angles
    No slow motion
    1 camera shot the entire scene.

It will be ground breaking.

You are aware that it'll be a QTE, right?

jothki on