As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Online backup: Which do you prefer?

GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what?Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
I am finally gonna bite the bullet and get an online backup setup, because I have probably 1500 dollars in drum'n'bass singles I use to DJ that I simply can't lose. I've converted my entire vinyl collection digital plus I buy all digital now, and to lose it would be...very bad. Plus I have family photos and such.

Which do you guys prefer? The two big ones I know of are Carbonite and Mozy. Any pros and cons to either that you guys know of? Are there any smaller alternatives that I haven't heard of that are really good?

Obviously long term data security is important, so I'd like to stick to one that is big enough that it will likely be around in five or ten years.

Sagroth wrote: »
Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
GnomeTank on

• Options
    DarkZDarkZ __BANNED USERS new member
    edited December 2010
    Depending on your internet connection speed your better off backing up to an external hard drive. Online backups like carbonite and mozy can completely saturate your connection for a very long time depending on the amount of data your backing up.

I would highly recommend Acronis True Image backup. Its very simple to setup and use, plus it's inexpensive.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/index.html

DarkZ on
  • Options
    tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I already have critical stuff backed up, but I'm looking for a little 'the house just burnt down' insurance as well.

Opinions are appreciated!

tachyon on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't have gigs and gigs of data to back up. Maybe a gig and a half of music and pictures. The point of offsite, internet, backup, as tachyon said, is "oh god the house burned down and I was more worried about getting to my kid than my external HDD".

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd go with Dropbox.

EDIT: If you go with Dropbox use someone's referral so you both get extra space.

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Did someone say Dropbox referral?
    click the sig :D

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    External drive, safe deposit box. You can get one big enough for a hard drive for like $20 a year.

Two drives (so $200, tops), swap every other month or so.

Still fucked if there's a nuclear strike, though.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I used to use Mozy on my old iMac. They had a free 5GB plan for a while. It would sometimes stop updating and be unable to connect to their servers. Forcing an manual update usually fixed the issue for the few weeks. Keep in mind this was years ago, so their software has probably gotten better since then. Also they don't have the free option anymore.

If you only had about 2GB, I would think Drop Box would be enough for your needs. Although I've never used it myself. No risk to try it when it is free though...

Jollus on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    External drive, safe deposit box. You can get one big enough for a hard drive for like $20 a year.

Two drives (so $200, tops), swap every other month or so.

Still fucked if there's a nuclear strike, though.

This would require me to take my lazy ass to a bank every few months. Unlikely, as good as the suggestion is.

I'll give dropbox a shot (Smart Hero gets the referral because he was first and pro-active).

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    GenlyAiGenlyAi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've been wondering about using Amazon S3 for this purpose. At $0.093/GB/month, it seems like there's a range between 2GB (free with the services listed above) and 50GB (~$55/year like the above services) where it is the most economical choice. Plus you know Amazon's going to be around for a long time.

Has anyone tried this? Waaaay more trouble than it's worth?

GenlyAi on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Amazon S3 can get pricey if you ever need to send receive a lot of data.

Carbonite is probably the best right now. Not only does in encrypt files but it allows you to access information as if you just had files saved on a remote drive. Their service works very well.

I personally use MS Sky Drive because it's free. Mozy I don't have any experience with.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    GenlyAi wrote: »
    I've been wondering about using Amazon S3 for this purpose. At $0.093/GB/month, it seems like there's a range between 2GB (free with the services listed above) and 50GB (~$55/year like the above services) where it is the most economical choice. Plus you know Amazon's going to be around for a long time.

Dropbox uses S3 :winky:

Also, you can get up to like 8GB for free from Dropbox, if you jump through some hoops. I think. I can't connect to their website, which means I just jinxed them. The service is up though.

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've never used it, but on paper dropbox looks like a complete rip off, 9.99 a month for 50 gigs of storage when carbonite gives you unlimited for 54$ a year? yeah....

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dropbox seems to be more of a "Keep these files synced between several computers" than a back up solution.

Jollus on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jollus wrote: »
    Dropbox seems to be more of a "Keep these files synced between several computers" than a back up solution.

In practice the distinction is largely meaningless

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I used to use Mozy on my old iMac. They had a free 5GB plan for a while. It would sometimes stop updating and be unable to connect to their servers. Forcing an manual update usually fixed the issue for the few weeks. Keep in mind this was years ago, so their software has probably gotten better since then. Also they don't have the free option anymore.

Current Mozy user here, and something similar to this happens to me. I don't think it's a problem on their side, though, since I run into issues loading web pages too (Chrome says it can't find the server at all, but hitting refresh gets it to work).

It seems to have worked pretty well apart from that, though, but I haven't (knocking on wood) had the need to retrieve files from the backup service yet.

Another thing to note is the software now has the option to use an external hard disk as a backup location too, in addition to the online storage. I don't use that option, though, since I don't have an external drive that's big enough :oops:

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Senjutsu wrote: »

In practice the distinction is largely meaningless

The difference in purposes comes through in the pricing and capacities. Mozy is $5/month for unlimited data. For DropBox it's $10/month for up to 50GB and $20/month for 100GB.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    K0dosK0dos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    GenlyAi wrote: »

I use jungledisk to backup to Amazon S3. I got it before Rackspace purchased them so I have a license that I can use with Amazon without paying a subscription, I just have to pay Amazon for storage and transfer. I have 5 or 6 GB on S3 and it usually costs less than $2 a month. Now they require a subscription so it's not as good a deal.

I also use dropbox and have been considering getting the 10 GB upgrade and just using it instead of jungledisk. The nice thing about dropbox is that it is available on my iphone and my CR-48. You have to adjust to putting things in your dropbox folder instead of just keeping them where you had them before but everything syncs everywhere and you don't have to fuss with backup settings like what file types or folders to back up.

I have heard good things about Carbonite but have never used it. You can use dropbox up to 2GB for free so you can see if it works for you otherwise go with something like carbonite.

K0dos on
    139892.png
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been using Carbonite on my wifes macbook for the past year or so. It saved my life when her HDD died as her laptop is full of work stuff.

The backup part of it is great and runs in the background so you'll never notice it going. I do find the restoring to be kind of weak though. There isn't much to the status on the restore and it's not very user friendly for choosing what to restore or any good way to manage what is currently backed up on their service. I also had one issue where it was complaining about restoring a particular file and getting stuck on it until I removed it online (luckily a non important one). I've been thinking of getting a windows copy to try out and see if their UI is any better.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    heh, I use tarsnap, but that's not really something most people would use for desktop backup (and for me, it's that the files end up on some server or another that causes them to get backed up)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg