As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Did anybody beta test this [Chat ant Generul Discushion]?

• Mnemon-CorbantisMnemon-Corbantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    new updated version of the heroic cheat sheet is available (call it 1.3). Basically took some thoughts and tips from the folks on Reddit and incorporated them into the guide.

http://www.relicsofcorbantis.com

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    new updated version of the heroic cheat sheet is available (call it 1.3). Basically took some thoughts and tips from the folks on Reddit and incorporated them into the guide.

Why is it a PDF? PDFs are the worst thing.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Much better, looks like you fixed some of the boss fight descriptions.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Speaking as someone who has played since vanilla, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you there. I started horde side, and while almost invariably one horde guild on my server helped us win most of the battlegrounds back then (back before battlegroups, mind you), the alliance were hands down better at PVE. There were 5 alliance guilds in Naxx when it came out and 1 Horde guild. Even my old guild, which was a hardcore 4 nights a week raiding guild with 60+ raiders barely finished naxx before BC came out. Atiesh, thunderfury? All of those were alliance side first.

So basically what I'm saying is that it's all server dependent.

Alliance was always better at raiding before Horde got Paladins. There was no Horde/Shaman equivalent for Blessing of Salvation, which was a 10% drop in threat generation for all your DPS, and the way threat was so razor thin in those days this was practically a 10% increase in DPS. This really began to matter from Black Wing Lair and forward, where so many of the bosses had enrage timers. Almost all of the major raiding guilds on PvE servers were Alliance because of this. So yeah, I'd say prior to BC, Horde = PvP dominant, Alliance = PvE dominant

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    EWom wrote: »

Probably because he didn't want to do it in HTML? I'm not sure why it's an issue. Nobody's making you use the handy reference he made for everyone =P

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, that's great. Thanks. I've had a couple times when explaining encounters to guildies and I'll forget to mention one of the lasers or AoE's or something. Generally people know to move, but there are some special folks that I like to be able to clearly outline each and every threat for.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

HoO - Anhuur: Divine Reckoning can be dispelled (it's magic) so no need to move at all.
    Stonceore - Ozruk: Shatter is an 8 yard AoE. Casters have to put up the DOT whenever he casts Elementium Bulwark as he reflects only then.

Grobian on
  • MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Grobian wrote: »

HoO - Anhuur: Divine Reckoning can be dispelled (it's magic) so no need to move at all.
    Stonceore - Ozruk: Shatter is an 8 yard AoE. Casters have to put up the DOT whenever he casts Elementium Bulwark as he reflects only then.

Bulwark only has a 20% chance to reflect. If you mele him while he has it up you will get a weak dot that will break in time for you to run out of shatter.

Mutilate on
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Alternatively, they can just run up to the boss and smack him once or twice and run back.

I make my groups do this because I always shield slam his spell reflect off.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    BigDes wrote:
    I have no idea what I'm doing in this game

Is there a noob thread about?

I don't think so, no.

If you have some specific questions I would just ask them here or in the class forum

If you're lost in the world, maybe have a look at beginner guides at the official site?

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mutilate wrote: »

Bulwark only has a 20% chance to reflect. If you mele him while he has it up you will get a weak dot that will break in time for you to run out of shatter.

Heroic version is 100%.

But hitting him obviously works. And might even be better for the healer, as they generally have no hit. But it also adds some complexity to the fight for casters as they have to run in and out. (for Shatter)

Grobian on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Heroic version is 100%.

But hitting him obviously works. And might even be better for the healer, as they generally have no hit. But it also adds some complexity to the fight for casters as they have to run in and out. (for Shatter)

If a caster uses a dot or timed damage thing on him, that works for breaking you out for shatter.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited December 2010

Heroic version is 100%.

I beg to differ about it being 100%. I have ran that several times and was constantly getting paralyzed trying to flame shock. Anectodal eveidence, yes, but I had no issues running in and out. /shrug.

Mutilate on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Heroics definitely get easier as you get better geared. I think its mostly a matter of gear for the tank and the healer. Now that our tank is running around with 170k life and great mitigation and our healer stays mana positive on heal spam stuff is just sooo much easier. DPS killing the bosses faster certainly helps too, but I think it''s mainly those two things.

We recently ran Heroic Throne of Tides again, it was the first heroic we did and when we first tried it it was hard, hard, HARD for us. This last time we did it with 4 guildies and a pug, and the pug died near the beginning of every single boss. Died to a waterspout on the first boss, never got out of the slam on the second boss, died to the first rock spikes on the third boss and died during the second phase of the last boss standing in black stuff. And we beat the bosses, I mean, some by the skin of our teeth (during the last boss we used a soul stone and a battle rez and beat the boss with only two people up, missing a DPS on that fight hurts in the last step). But yeah, we can almost four man heroic throne of tides at this point. It's crazy.

Edit: Ozruk: I found the reflection to be 100% when I did it. When it was up I would just throw up a corruption, other ranged would throw up their dots, and then we'd call for the dispel over vent and go back to nuking. Seems like a lot less lost casting time than running in and out.

Inquisitor on
    edited December 2010
    I ran a bunch of heroics with the guild this weekend and yeah, for the most part they seem pretty balanced. There were a few we had serious problems with, but then we'd get that again the next day with a non-pug healer and/or tank and suddenly it'd be easy as hell (that's right condesending tank/healer pugs, we did just fine in Stonecore once we had a tank that actually picked up the adds in the worm fight and a healer that actually healed people that were not the tank :P)

I will say, the dragon boss in Vortex Pinacle can go to hell, as can Commander Springvale in SFK. I think those two fights are seriously over-balanced and will probably be nerfed. At least Springvale is skippable. Kind of sad when the last boss of Pinnacle is a complete joke compared to that dragon :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I really like the dragon boss in Vortex Pinnacle. That haste buff lets me spam Healing Wave the whole fight so I can get nearly free healing.

captaink on
    edited December 2010
    EWom wrote: »

Mostly just to piss you off ...

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I ran a bunch of heroics with the guild this weekend and yeah, for the most part they seem pretty balanced. There were a few we had serious problems with, but then we'd get that again the next day with a non-pug healer and/or tank and suddenly it'd be easy as hell (that's right condesending tank/healer pugs, we did just fine in Stonecore once we had a tank that actually picked up the adds in the worm fight and a healer that actually healed people that were not the tank :P)

I will say, the dragon boss in Vortex Pinacle can go to hell, as can Commander Springvale in SFK. I think those two fights are seriously over-balanced and will probably be nerfed. At least Springvale is skippable. Kind of sad when the last boss of Pinnacle is a complete joke compared to that dragon :P

The dragon is MUCH easier than Springvale just dont panic and stay on the move. Stay downwind if you have to because the tornados are first and foremost to avoid. As for Springvale I had a full guild group on him and we just couldnt get him done. It wouldnt be that bad if you didnt have two mobs that hit pretty decently, have a good chunk of health, respawn every 45 sec or so and have a 2-3 second cast that you HAVE to interrupt on each mob every time. That fight was a pain in the ass. The rest of the fights arent too bad in SFK.

Jubal77 on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lately I've noticed a lot more talk across various forums about wanting Blizzard to just open up all classes to all races. I think I'd be for that as well. I mean, as it is two classes are already available to all (Warrior, Death Knight), three are only missing one race each (Hunter, Mage, Priest), and one is missing two but should be available to all (Rogue). I actually kind of expect Blizzard to go that route eventually.

From a game design point of view, the only problems are creating unique shaman totems (easy) and druid forms (not so easy) for all races. This would obviously be the main thing holding them back, because the lore is very flexible in their hands.

From a lore perspective it is a bit trickier though.
    Warlock Night Elves wouldn't be a stretch by saying they're outlying Highborne (besides, warlocks are supposed to be fairly secretive about their true nature anyways, {ie. Human Warlock trainers hiding out beneath an inn in Stormwind and all} so the Night Elves may not have realized they got some warlocks when they accepted the Highborne back), but Draenei and Tauren warlocks would both be a problem. The best I've got is secretative draenei wishing to fight fire with fire, and having some Grimtotem betray Magatha and join with Baine.

Paladins aren't a problem since all but one of the races can already be priests and it's not too hard to imagine a more militant arm of the priests forming (ie. Knights of Elune). Besides, worgen logically should have already had paladins when the Greymane Wall went up.

Then that just leaves Shamans and Druids, both of which I only really think would run into problems with Gnomes and Undead (assuming humans can get in under the old "Humans are versatile and everywhere" cliche and that goblins can reuse their shaman excuse for druids).

Though I admit if ogres were ever added, an Ogre Rogue would be rather strange. I imagine they'd be popular among the crowd that enjoys rolling Gnome Warriors and the like, though.

Lars on
    edited December 2010
    I don't get the hate for the commander in SFK. Ran it in a guild group the first time last week and we had more trouble with the first boss than with the commander. We even tried to zerg the boss and were doing well but there were too many adds by the end and we wiped. Ina few months though I would fully expect everyone to zerg him down.

Mutilate on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    Warlock Night Elves wouldn't be a stretch by saying they're outlying Highborne (besides, warlocks are supposed to be fairly secretive about their true nature anyways, {ie. Human Warlock trainers hiding out beneath an inn in Stormwind and all} so the Night Elves may not have realized they got some warlocks when they accepted the Highborne back), but Draenei and Tauren warlocks would both be a problem. The best I've got is secretative draenei wishing to fight fire with fire, and having some Grimtotem betray Magatha and join with Baine.

I just wanted to touch on the Tauren part of this, but they've already had some Grimtotem betray Magatha. Granted, it's in the Shattering Novel and as far as I can tell does not reflect in game anywhere. Mostly it seems to be so they can set up Tauren Rogues.

I'll spoiler in case people actually care:
    The Grimtotem who led the raid on Thunder Bluff after Cairne dies has a change of heart and helps Baine lead the charge to retake it. Afterwards, when Baine is exiling Magatha and the Grimtotem he asks if any of them want to renounce the Grimtotem. About 1/3 of them do so and join Baine.

Nobody on
    edited December 2010
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

The dragon is MUCH easier than Springvale just dont panic and stay on the move. Stay downwind if you have to because the tornados are first and foremost to avoid. As for Springvale I had a full guild group on him and we just couldnt get him done. It wouldnt be that bad if you didnt have two mobs that hit pretty decently, have a good chunk of health, respawn every 45 sec or so and have a 2-3 second cast that you HAVE to interrupt on each mob every time. That fight was a pain in the ass. The rest of the fights arent too bad in SFK.

Yeah we got the dragon, it just seems like that fight is way too hard compared to almost any other heroic fight. I think if they even removed a couple of his tornados it would help things tremendously.

Springvale is just a jackass. That 5% hp drain every second debuff is just bullshit. I think we did get him to like 30% but those adds are just too much to deal with. Ultimately the loot is not really worth the hassle.

I have a feeling both fights will be nerfed - they just feel out-of-place compared to other heroic encounters (at least what I've done). I don't think heroics in general are too hard though, they actually feel about right to me for the most part. The group is not full of morons (and CCs things) they tend to go pretty well.

P.S. - I hate you Blizzard for filling Vortex Pinnacle with elementals that only two classes can CC after your big "there should be more CCing" push :P We would LOVE to CC those, especially since you love to throw like 6 of them together, but noooooooo.... I also hate you for the damn knockback on the one adds that always throws me off the ledge. It's not even hard, it's just annoying having to run back so much (and as far as I can tell, there's no real easy way to predict which way the knockback will throw you - I tried having my back to a wall and it knocked me sideways -_-).

Warlock82 on
    edited December 2010
    P.S. - I hate you Blizzard for filling Vortex Pinnacle with elementals that only two classes can CC after your big "there should be more CCing" push We would LOVE to CC those, especially since you love to throw like 6 of them together, but noooooooo.... I also hate you for the damn knockback on the one adds that always throws me off the ledge. It's not even hard, it's just annoying having to run back so much (and as far as I can tell, there's no real easy way to predict which way the knockback will throw you - I tried having my back to a wall and it knocked me sideways -_-).

Have you done Grim Batol yet? that one sucks worse than VP in the CC department.

Jubal77 on
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Don't a lot of classes have very short universal CC? Seems like just a few seconds of a pally stun or rogue blind could be enough to make the difference.

tehmarken on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't get the hate for the commander in SFK. Ran it in a guild group the first time last week and we had more trouble with the first boss than with the commander. We even tried to zerg the boss and were doing well but there were too many adds by the end and we wiped. Ina few months though I would fully expect everyone to zerg him down.

I don't either, we didn't have any issues with the Commander, that first boss is a bitch though.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited December 2010
    P.S. - I hate you Blizzard for filling Vortex Pinnacle with elementals that only two classes can CC after your big "there should be more CCing" push We would LOVE to CC those, especially since you love to throw like 6 of them together, but noooooooo.... I also hate you for the damn knockback on the one adds that always throws me off the ledge. It's not even hard, it's just annoying having to run back so much (and as far as I can tell, there's no real easy way to predict which way the knockback will throw you - I tried having my back to a wall and it knocked me sideways -_-).

Have you done Grim Batol yet? that one sucks worse than VP in the CC department.

I have on regular, did they change something with heroic? It didn't seem bad on regular. Humanoids and Dragons can be CCed by most classes (or at least, as a Rogue, I can, which is all I care about :P). If you don't fuck up the bombing run you don't even have that much work since most of the trash is either dead or near-dead.

Edit: The first boss in SFK is a bitch, yes. You basically need a lot of interrupts. We didn't have *too* much trouble once we got the rythmn down. I could maybe see them nerfing the amount of healing he does tho.

Warlock82 on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    does anyone know of a list of gear for various specs for getting ready for heroics?

like, I want to heal heroics on my priest, what's good out there rep wise to start with?

belligerent on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    does anyone know of a list of gear for various specs for getting ready for heroics?

like, I want to heal heroics on my priest, what's good out there rep wise to start with?
    I'd guess that EJ would be the best place for this.

Fairchild on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Maintankadin usually has a variety of threads like these. I'm using them for my DK and Pally atm but found one for holy priests.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=29&t=30331&rb_v=viewtopic

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
    edited December 2010
    Fairchild wrote: »

I'd guess that EJ would be the best place for this.

Probably not, what I've seen most of their gear lists tend to be based around raiding. Worth a look though I suppose.

I think(?) WoWInsider was doing this though. You'll have to search back. I recall their rogue one being complete shit (he just linked a wowhead filter of blue items and then gave some crummy advice on reforging -_-) but I think I heard their other classes were better done.

Warlock82 on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is it safe to say that I am burning out already? 3 level 85's, bunch of dungeon runs.. just seems all the same to me. Lots of "new" - yeah, but... really just more of the same. No really NEW mechanics per-se, just revamped old ones.

I kinda feel like I did at the end of WOTLK already... I feel like I am missing something.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is it safe to say that I am burning out already? 3 level 85's, bunch of dungeon runs.. just seems all the same to me. Lots of "new" - yeah, but... really just more of the same. No really NEW mechanics per-se, just revamped old ones.

I kinda feel like I did at the end of WOTLK already... I feel like I am missing something.

Well you have done 75% of the 80-85 content 3 times in the span of 2 weeks. Of course it seems the same to you, you've done it 3 times before most people haven't even done it once.

Buddies on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I'd say you only have yourself to blame. I had a mini-burnout getting to 85 in 4 days, I can't imagine having done that twice more since then.

captaink on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hallowed, I think perhaps you might need to analyze your style of play before you can think that you have "burned out".

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
    edited December 2010
    Why is there no str sta ranged weapons? I looked through wowhead and there seems to only be PVP and items out of bastion.

Jubal77 on
    edited December 2010
    Why is there no str sta ranged weapons? I looked through wowhead and there seems to only be PVP and items out of bastion.

Probably because only one class uses them? (I think? Warriors are the only class that can equip ranged that would want STR, right?) There seem to be a lack of ranged weapons period though. There is only one blue thrown weapon for me as a Rogue, and it's stupid dungeon drop.

Warlock82 on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I'm not really sure what you were expecting. It's not like the game was going to turn into a FPS at 85.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited December 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    Lately I've noticed a lot more talk across various forums about wanting Blizzard to just open up all classes to all races. I think I'd be for that as well. I mean, as it is two classes are already available to all (Warrior, Death Knight), three are only missing one race each (Hunter, Mage, Priest), and one is missing two but should be available to all (Rogue). I actually kind of expect Blizzard to go that route eventually.

From a game design point of view, the only problems are creating unique shaman totems (easy) and druid forms (not so easy) for all races. This would obviously be the main thing holding them back, because the lore is very flexible in their hands.

Paladins aren't a problem since all but one of the races can already be priests and it's not too hard to imagine a more militant arm of the priests forming (ie. Knights of Elune). Besides, worgen logically should have already had paladins when the Greymane Wall went up.

Then that just leaves Shamans and Druids, both of which I only really think would run into problems with Gnomes and Undead (assuming humans can get in under the old "Humans are versatile and everywhere" cliche and that goblins can reuse their shaman excuse for druids).

Though I admit if ogres were ever added, an Ogre Rogue would be rather strange. I imagine they'd be popular among the crowd that enjoys rolling Gnome Warriors and the like, though.

and lets be frank ... this isn't Star Wars or Lord of the Rings or anything.

the "lore" in this case shouldn't be taken too seriously, and can easily be changed to make things happen in game. i mean they basically just did this with Catacyclsm to justify the remaking of the game world from a lore point of view.

So do the same thing with class/race combos that don't work now. Even if it means giving Undead Paladins a different name, but everybody knows their paladins.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
    edited December 2010

Are you surprised? You just grinded out like 25 hours of content three times in quick succession.

plus you really couldn't have played any of those characters with any depth. IMO the game starts when you hit max level - that's when its time to start gearing the guy out and mastering your class.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

My warrior actually just got one from one of the last quests in Uldum that had +str on it.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.