As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Did anybody beta test this [Chat ant Generul Discushion]?

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Based on most of the guild achievements, it seems like guild progress is meant to be slow and steady anyway.

That's where changing the xp required for each rank comes in. Things like weekly caps, or other means of gaining guild xp than quests and guild runs, are important for incentivizing a broad range of activities, so that particular types of guilds don't get screwed, even if guilds as a whole are levelling as fast as Blizzard wants.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Septus wrote: »
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    I am just realizing now .. some of the flight path' are damn stupid. Why do I have fly over fucking Morgans Vigil when coming from Stormwind and going to Flamewind Post in the Burning Steppes?

We've always had some really bad loopy flight paths. What I've never seen until this expansion, is having a two flight paths really close in a zone, like Wetlands, and being forced to fly all the way back to Ironforge, as that's some sort of forced hub.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong somehow, because it's so stupid.

I saw this yesterday, I was trying to get from Uldum to TH, and wanted to check if there was still a boat to the other continent in Tanaris. I was just going to put myself in flight and afk for a bit, but then noticed that the flight path from the flight master in Ramkahan had me go through Silithus, feralas, Thousand Needles and I was all fffffffffff.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know if we hit some magical gear point last night where heroics get decently easier or if the heroics we ran last night were just some of the easier ones.

We did the stonecore and the only boss in there that was a challenge was Ozruk, mainly for the melee DPS and tank mostly because of how many one hit kills he throws out around himself. I think we wiped once on the dragon as well learning that if his body is clipping through a rock that that rock won't provide you cover from his crystal storm :lol:

But then we did halls of origination and got every boss down on the first try except the fire boss because we didn't expect him to go into his aoe damage phase when he did, because it was different than when he did it on normal. But once we knew what to expect he went down easy.

The heorics are really, really fun still though.

Inquisitor on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dac wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    So that 75% quest XP->guild XP nerf was pretty retarded and knee-jerk.

Gotta say I agree.

After my guild's members hit 85, the rate of xp gain tanked. With the 75% nerf on top of that? Basically ground to a near halt.
    Blizzthink™ applied to the movie industry:

"Our movie made $50 million dollars in its first week in theaters! Just think, in 9 more weeks it will have made $500 million dollars!"

Christ. For being one of the best game developers around, they can be some real glue-huffing idiots sometimes. I'm curious how the meeting to discuss this went.

forty on
    edited December 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Nissl wrote: »
    forty wrote:

This is one change that I think everyone can agree was dumb, and it's been overshadowed by all the controversy about difficulty and healing.

I'm noticing more and more guilds zerg recruiting in trade (usually still stuck at level 3). There are already small guilds posting about coming under pressure from their more hardcore members as they fall behind in perks. At the same time Beasts is still perma-capped as far as I can tell (playing on a PST schedule).

Another question, how does any new guild actually acquire members 6 months from now?

It was absolutely the wrong solution to a retarded problem. First, I sort of agree it was too high before - I mean, I think I hit it by myself on the first day in like an hour. But they overnerfed it now, so our guild is lucky to get 40% in a day.

IMO, they should have only nerfed it by at most, half. And instead of a daily cap, there should be a weekly cap. That way guilds that have more activity on certain days don't get screwed over.

There also needs to be way more ways to earn guild xp. Right now it's questing (at 85 this option is virtually gone except for dailies, which you can only do 25 a day and barely contribute now), and GUILD runs of dungeons/raids. This means at least 4/8/20(?) guild members. So random pugs don't give shit. Working on professions, even if it's actually in benefit of the guild (i.e. cooking feasts, making gems for guildies, etc), don't give shit. Nothing you do except dailies actually contribute. It's ridiculous.
    It didn't need to be touched at all. The "problem" was 100% self-correcting.

Edit: And yes, among other things, PvP needs to give guild XP. No, full-guild arena and rated BG matches are not sufficient. Just logging on and playing/winning BGs or (ugh) TB should provide guild XP.

forty on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    forty wrote:

This is one change that I think everyone can agree was dumb, and it's been overshadowed by all the controversy about difficulty and healing.

I'm noticing more and more guilds zerg recruiting in trade (usually still stuck at level 3). There are already small guilds posting about coming under pressure from their more hardcore members as they fall behind in perks. At the same time Beasts is still perma-capped as far as I can tell (playing on a PST schedule).

Another question, how does any new guild actually acquire members 6 months from now?

It was absolutely the wrong solution to a retarded problem. First, I sort of agree it was too high before - I mean, I think I hit it by myself on the first day in like an hour. But they overnerfed it now, so our guild is lucky to get 40% in a day.

IMO, they should have only nerfed it by at most, half. And instead of a daily cap, there should be a weekly cap. That way guilds that have more activity on certain days don't get screwed over.

There also needs to be way more ways to earn guild xp. Right now it's questing (at 85 this option is virtually gone except for dailies, which you can only do 25 a day and barely contribute now), and GUILD runs of dungeons/raids. This means at least 4/8/20(?) guild members. So random pugs don't give shit. Working on professions, even if it's actually in benefit of the guild (i.e. cooking feasts, making gems for guildies, etc), don't give shit. Nothing you do except dailies actually contribute. It's ridiculous.
    It didn't need to be touched at all. The "problem" was 100% self-correcting.

I guess the first "M" in "MMO" they're so keen to remind complainers of really meant 500-man zerg guilds. Everyone gets their own personal Trade chat in green text! :rotate:

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited December 2010
    Guildopoly or die.

forty on
    edited December 2010
    I'm not saying this just to be contrary, but, our guild has about 11 or so (6 85, rest lower) active members and we haven't had a problem hitting the daily EXP cap yet (I think). That said we do run heroics as a guild, though not every night.

Inquisitor on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ARGH fuck ... they still haven't fixed the "be in flight, alt+tab out and get disconnected" bug and of course it throws you out of the dungeon queue, where I was 30 minutes into a 41 minute wait ... GRRRRR

TheBigEasy on
    edited December 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I'm not saying this just to be contrary, but, our guild has about 11 or so (6 85, rest lower) active members and we haven't had a problem hitting the daily EXP cap yet (I think). That said we do run heroics as a guild, though not every night.
    What level is your guild?

forty on
    edited December 2010

Our guild is currently level 4. We've got some real night owls in our guild so often I'll log on and most of the EXP for the day has already been earned. Though I don't think we maxed out our EXP for yesterday until the evening.

Inquisitor on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Our guild is currently level 4. We've got some real night owls in our guild so often I'll log on and most of the EXP for the day has already been earned. Though I don't think we maxed out our EXP for yesterday until the evening.

I'm guessing like 80-90% of the experience your guild is getting is coming from those 5 not-85s.

When you have people in your guild grinding out 40+ quests a day, yeah, it's going to be easy to hit the cap. Once you hit max level, though? And most of your time is spent trying to gear up?

Yeah no, it's gonna slow down.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So recently had to setup Ventrilo from scratch again, and for the life of me I can't remember why it won't recognize my Push to Talk key if WoW is the active window. Anyone know which option I've blindly missed? Push to talk works fine if Vent is the active window.

Bobble on
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bobble wrote: »
    So recently had to setup Ventrilo from scratch again, and for the life of me I can't remember why it won't recognize my Push to Talk key if WoW is the active window. Anyone know which option I've blindly missed? Push to talk works fine if Vent is the active window.

Run Vent as Admin.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wulf wrote: »

Run Vent as Admin.

Bingo. Thankee kindly.

Bobble on
    edited December 2010

If you're 4, then you definitely haven't been maxing out XP.

forty on
    edited December 2010

Run Vent as Admin.
    I'm new to Windows 7. Is that just something you set in the properties of the ventrilo exe?

forty on
  • Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Run Vent as Admin.
    I'm new to Windows 7. Is that just something you set in the properties of the ventrilo exe?

Right click, there should be a run as admin thing to click.

Evil Weevil on
  • NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    forty wrote:

Huh? Beasts is 4 and is maxing xp.

Some guilds hit 6 on the first day because of uncapped achievements and then had that reverted, however I don't think it carried through to the armory. Nobody should be level 5 yet.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Run Vent as Admin.

They still doing that under Windows 7? That was annoying the shit out of me trying to fix my parent's Vista computer. It's like Microsoft thinks you are too god damn stupid to *actually* be an administrator.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My guild only has a few people online at any time.
    Maybe two or three, and we haven't hit the daily xp cap since they "fixed" it.

Rizzi on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My guild, which has about 9 or 10 members, got to level 3 with pretty much my friend and I leveling 3 toons to 85 (2 are mine) and my 3rd toon getting to 83, with a small contribution from a few others.

We've only hit daily max a few times, probably the first 3-4 days of Cata.

We hit level 3 two nights ago, love that +10% mount speed.

I'm probably going to have to hit 85 of all my toons just to see us nab a level or two more at the rate we're going now. The other option is what? Trade Chat spam for recruiting? Ughhhhh....dunno about your server, but Trade Chat on Proudmoore Alliance side is a cesspool of people who are still telling Chuck Norris and Anal [Link] jokes.

Bloodshed on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Trade chat on my server is a bunch of people yelling out "Silithus" and "Your mother" insults.
    I wouldn't piss on these people if they were on fire, let alone let them play with my friends.

Rizzi on
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, we are looking at making some of this content last, right? Do we all really want to be guild level 20 by Christmas, and then sit around Org on our new mounts lagging everyone else out?

I can understand people being frustrated they can't "max" something out every single day in WoW.

But, so what?

ironzerg on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hell, I just want level 5 so we can start getting free gold for repairs and shit =P

Bloodshed on
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sorry, I'm away from WoW.

Are they listed as Guild Achievements or Guild Entitlements? I forgot.

ironzerg on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    I think guild experience should scale via members. It's exploitable, but in a few months you won't see anyone starting new guilds.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Run Vent as Admin.

They still doing that under Windows 7? That was annoying the shit out of me trying to fix my parent's Vista computer. It's like Microsoft thinks you are too god damn stupid to *actually* be an administrator.

It's usually because something else has the microphone input locked. For instance, if you disable sound input inside wow, you usually don't have to run as admin.

At least, I don't anyways.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ARGH fuck ... they still haven't fixed the "be in flight, alt+tab out and get disconnected" bug and of course it throws you out of the dungeon queue, where I was 30 minutes into a 41 minute wait ... GRRRRR

This bug needs to die ASAP. It's been there since 4.0.3? (Maybe even 4.0.1)

Undead Scottsman on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wow ... dungeons really give a shit load of XP. Just had my first BRC run, on normal, first Cata dungeon. Made 3 bubbles toward 83 and became 82 in the instance before. Probably made 700-800k XP in that run ... plus got a few nice items.

TheBigEasy on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Windowed mode or fullscreen? Because I always run in windowed mode and have never had a problem (it also makes alt-tabbing faster, and I do that a lot...)

Tomanta on
  • NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ironzerg wrote:
    Well, we are looking at making some of this content last, right? Do we all really want to be guild level 20 by Christmas, and then sit around Org on our new mounts lagging everyone else out?

I can understand people being frustrated they can't "max" something out every single day in WoW.

But, so what?

I would have liked to see leveling take most of the expansion (instead of the 4.5 months it will take) for every guild regardless of size as long as they have a couple players on per day. Then Blizzard could nerf levels 1-25 heavily come the next expansion, and add another 10 new levels, etc.

The problem with the current system is more hardcore players leaving small guilds for better perks, or forcing a small guild to merge into a bigger one by threatening to leave. If all the players in the small guild wanted to be part of that bigger guild, they would have done it already. It's also going to be impossible for a new guild to recruit.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

Windowed mode or fullscreen? Because I always run in windowed mode and have never had a problem (it also makes alt-tabbing faster, and I do that a lot...)

Fullscreen.

I like to use my whole monitor when I play :D

EDIT: Holy shit. I didn't even think of how they could add new guild levels in future expansions.

Undead Scottsman on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Run Vent as Admin.

If you turn UAC off, Windows will basically go back to the Windows XP mode of administrator = administrator.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Fullscreen.

True fullscreen, or borderless windowed fullscreen (I can't remember what WoW calls this option)? True fullscreen will cause a hiccup when you alt-tab, the borderless windowed fullscreen will not.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

4.0.1, and yeah. it seems like they *sort of* tried to fix it in 4.0.3. Like, it doesn't seem nearly as outrageous as it was (every once in a blue moon it won't disconnect me). But it's still a problem and very annoying. The worst is when I disconnect, if I do not quit all the way out of the game, I will always have something like a 5 minute load back in (load bar fills all the way and then just sits there for 5 minutes doing nothing). If I quit out of the game, no problem. It's only if I disconnect and then try to log back in right away.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Fullscreen.

Eh, windowed I still use 98% of my screen. But again, I alt-tab out a lot, so I value speed (and less problems, I always have had issues alt-tabbing full screen games) in doing so over the missing real estate.

Tomanta on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Why don't you guys just do windowed fullscreen?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Why don't you guys just do windowed fullscreen?

Most computers get (slightly) better performance running in full-screen, because the card is not also drawing whatever's going on behind the game.

IIRC.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited December 2010
    forty wrote:

Huh? Beasts is 4 and is maxing xp.

Some guilds hit 6 on the first day because of uncapped achievements and then had that reverted, however I don't think it carried through to the armory. Nobody should be level 5 yet.
    My calculations might have been off by a day. Still, Gabe's wheelchair guy example and all.

forty on
This discussion has been closed.