As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Did anybody beta test this [Chat ant Generul Discushion]?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dac wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Why don't you guys just do windowed fullscreen?

Most computers get (slightly) better performance running in full-screen, because the card is not also drawing whatever's going on behind the game.

IIRC.

With Windows 7 (and I assume Vista as it has the same driver architecture), this is not really true anymore. Windows is pretty smart about knowing when your game is the only thing currently drawing, and it stops updates to the Desktop Window Manager until some part of it (like another window or the taskbar) becomes visible.

Pre-new driver architecture (Windows XP and earlier) this was true, but the performance hit wasn't huge. On modern hardware, it should be almost unnoticeable.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Didn't even know that option existed ... but thanks, this is great .. fast alt+tab and no disconnect anymore.

TheBigEasy on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Didn't even know that option existed ... but thanks, this is great .. fast alt+tab and no disconnect anymore.

I didn't either. Going to give it a try.

Tomanta on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Well, we are looking at making some of this content last, right? Do we all really want to be guild level 20 by Christmas, and then sit around Org on our new mounts lagging everyone else out?

I can understand people being frustrated they can't "max" something out every single day in WoW.

But, so what?
    What the fuck are you even talking about? The power guilds that are maxing out XP every day won't be 20 (which isn't max level, by the way) for months.

No one here really cares if their guild can't max out guild XP every day, but this nerf has made guild leveling nearly hopeless for small guilds, and was based entirely on a week of statistical outlier information. Instead of a small/casual guild maybe hitting 20 after a year, they'll be lucky to be 20 by the next expansion.
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm away from WoW.
    Oh, that explains your complete lack of perspective.

forty on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

This is the best way to play. Especially for people with 2 monitors.

SniperGuy on
    Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    edited December 2010
    Dac wrote: »

Most computers get (slightly) better performance running in full-screen, because the card is not also drawing whatever's going on behind the game.

IIRC.
    He's talking about the people who are running windowed but apparently not windowed fullscreen.

forty on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Windowed fullscreen is the only way to play. The option's been there since... vanilla?

Also, is it really a bad thing that little guilds are not quite on the same page as large guilds? Maybe those small guilds should recruit some more people. Most of the guild perks are minor, and the best ones are in the first half, excluding perhaps the justice point one.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    edited December 2010
    I don't think you've even seen the scenario here. "Not on the same page" would be taking a year to do what a hardcore guild does in four months. Considering we're looking at a lot of guilds never even getting close to level cap, that's more like "not in the same book." And, in case you're unsure, yes, that's a bad thing.

As others have also mentioned (and of course, had their points ignored by apologists), this becomes even worse for any guilds that form in the future, as their progression is offset even more.

Edit: Not to mention that this change/design is basically a regression to pre-WoW MMO philosophy and throws out the tenets of WoW's design.

forty on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yes I agree that it is a problem for future guilds. Blizz will need to come up with a solution. Perhaps they will raise the starting level or something.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How is it a problem?

None of the perks are game-breaking. People will get them in due time.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Let's look ahead a few months. You're a new player.

Zerg guild x is level 23 and can offer you:
    +10% xp
    +10% mount speed
    +15% gathering
    +10% rep
    +10% honor
    +5% JP
    15 minute hearth

Smallish guild y is level 11 and can offer you:
    unpolluted guild chat
    10% xp
    10% mount speed
    15 minute hearth

New guild z is level 2 and can offer you:
    quiet guild chat
    5% xp

Which are you going to pick? How do guilds y and z convince players to join them? What do they do if one of their regular 10-man raiders takes time off from WoW? What do they do if 3-4 of their core players get jealous of the perks of bigger guilds and threaten to leave if the guild doesn't merge?

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Where's the horde PVP vendor? I have 2.3k honor burning a hole in my pocket!

Echo on
    edited December 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    How is it a problem?

None of the perks are game-breaking. People will get them in due time.
    I would say the ability to generate/save time in a game chiefly based on investing time is powerful.

No one said game-breaking, but denying the value of the perks is ignorance. Does "over a few years" fit into "in due time" by your definition?

forty on
    edited December 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Where's the horde PVP vendor? I have 2.3k honor burning a hole in my pocket!
    Orgrimmar, Valley of Honor, maybe? One of the Valleys, anyway.

forty on
    edited December 2010
    Ah, there's the vendor. He was covered in fatasses on fatass mounts who are fat.

Echo on
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I agree with most of the griping about Guild XP, but I have a special seething implacable hatred for Guild Rep.

I capped out for the second week in a row. At 5964/6000 Friendly. On Wednesday.

Ragesmash!!

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    So I just got suckered back into getting this after not really playing since beta. Which server are you guys mostly centered on?

Morkath on
  • mfc144mfc144 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Do you guys have any suggestions on how to mess with someone using a fishing bot?

There is a guy fishing up Volatile Fires out of the lava area in Hyjal. He has been fishing the same spot for the last 13 hours. He has positioned himself in a spot where a 'pool of fire' spawns every 10 minutes or so, and eventually his casts fish it out.
    There's no way he's not botting, fishing in the lava awards nothing but grey trash items, only the pools give Volatile fire. Pools spawn 15 yards away and he does not move to take them. I've landed and fished out the pool from under him, and he says nothing. Gotta be a bot.
    I've reported him 3 times, 1 time a few days ago, and twice during the last 13 hours. My last reply from the GM said, "thanks for bringing this to our attention, please just ignore this player". Or, I'll take that to read, "please stop reporting this".
    The thing is he's destroying the volatile fire AH market, posting hundreds of fires, progressively cheaper and cheaper.

So, I've tried to screw the bot program up. I've tried blocking the bobber, tried starting duels with him, buffing him right when he's casting/looting, tried fishing next to him and getting my bobber to land on/near his, hoping that'd screw it up. Nothing. I can't think of anything else.

mfc144 on
    edited December 2010
    Is there some Archavon-like dude in Tol Barad, or did I just imagine that?

Echo on
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Is there some Archavon-like dude in Tol Barad, or did I just imagine that?

There is. http://www.wowhead.com/npc=47120\

Tol Barad hasn't changed hands on my server in 4 days or so. I'll gripe about it later.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Turkson wrote: »
    I agree with most of the griping about Guild XP, but I have a special seething implacable hatred for Guild Rep.

I capped out for the second week in a row. At 5964/6000 Friendly. On Wednesday.

Ragesmash!!
    You can actually gain rep this week?

You're so lucky!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    forty wrote: »
    I would say the ability to generate/save time in a game chiefly based on investing time is powerful.
    Gold'd for summing up the very essence of MMOs. This is why I scoff at people saying 310% is too expensive: Every mount speed increase/teleport/shortcut is worth it, no matter the cost.

Panda4You on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Gold'd for summing up the very essence of MMOs. This is why I scoff at people saying 310% is too expensive: Every mount speed increase/teleport/shortcut is worth it, no matter the cost.

This guild level / perks argument reminds me a lot of the olden days back when I played EverQuest and they introduced AA (alternate advancement). Basically you could choose how your experience worked for you with a sliding scale. It could go towards actual level advancement or towards AA, which were abilities or innate character traits (like running speed, health / mana regen / resists etc / mana pool / health pool etc). At the beginning everyone was thinking how awesome it was, that way when you hit level cap you had something to do. What they didn't think about was new characters / players. Basically they can NEVER catch up, once a system like that is implemented. And their characters will always be inferior to those that were played earlier in the game.

Everyone bashed on how easy Wrath was, but I have to say being able to come back from a few month hiatus and run a few (lot) dungeons and be able to catch up in terms of guilds to at least the average population (ICC10 lvl gear) was a huge part of my enjoyment in coming back.

Now at least with the guild rewards the whole guild can eventually enjoy them, but still as the game progresses , more levels and perks will be added. The older guilds will have an advantage, and how the guild experience / faction with it's restrictions is implemented the new guilds will never catch up, making them less desirable, and adding a new level of dick waving elitism to the game. And if you think that "Well there is an end to guild levels/perks, so what's the big deal?" You're wrong, there is a current cap, there is no way that's the end of it. I foresee new levels and perks added with each content patch, putting new guilds that much further behind.

Yeah some people may not give a shit, but I'm going to bet a lot of WoW's player base is only going to want to play in the guilds with the most perks.

The easiest solution is to remove all the caps. Guilds will max out on the levels / perks faster, but then it's actually an even playing field, in giving new guilds the option to actually "catch up".

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Morkath wrote:
    So I just got suckered back into getting this after not really playing since beta. Which server are you guys mostly centered on?

US Horde Beasts of Unusual Size - Ravenholdt (RP-PVP)
    US Horde Obsidian Spur - Sargeras (PVP)
    US Horde Shambler Milk - Cho'gall (PVP) - SE ++ guild

US Alliance Clawshrimp and Co - Draenor (PVE)
    US Alliance (remnants of PAA) - Dark Iron (PVP)

EU: Obsidian Spur, Saurfang

All guilds have posts somewhere in the first 2 pages of the forum you can check out.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I sold a magic lamp for 10k gold today. That is all.

JAEF on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    EWom wrote: »
    Yeah some people may not give a shit, but I'm going to bet a lot of WoW's player base is only going to want to play in the guilds with the most perks.
    I'm completely okay with smaller guilds being encouraged to merge - and I say this as someone in a guild with maybe 15 people on at a time at the absolute max (usually half that.) Guilds that are deliberately small will remain that way; guilds that are small because they are terrible will merge into each other, making them that much easier to avoid.

Salvation122 on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Corborus and Setesh are fucking evil on Heroic.

Liquid Ghost on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You know, it occurred to me that I've been 85 for about a week and doing dailies in Tol Barad and Twilight Highlands every day and I have yet to see a single new health or mana potion drop. Are they exclusively made by alchemists now or something?

I don't even know what the new ones are called.

Lars on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    As others have also mentioned (and of course, had their points ignored by apologists), this becomes even worse for any guilds that form in the future, as their progression is offset even more.

I'd argue that the most logical course of action in this case is to eventually revert the "no guild XP for guild achievements" change.

I needed anime to post. on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I found a broken spawn location for birds. Which means in the last half hour I've gotten about 100 small eggs. Which means holiday-driven profit on the AH.

Henroid on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Arena is hilarious right now. Tons of terrible players waiting to be farmed.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    About guild perks, I am ALREADY in a stupid ass guild that I would never have joined simply because they are level 3 or 4 already? Giving me some xp boost etc. The new guild perk system is crap, that is all.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm giving up on heriocs now. The theme of Cata seems to be No Guild = No Game.

And I have a guild, its full of nice people and has 15-20 regularly active members. But there's maybe one herioc run a day with a bit of luck. And outside of that I can't achieve shit anymore.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I switched to Windowed Fullscreen to see if it would hurt performance, and my framerate went up. How would that happen?

jackal on
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Your computer doesn't have to process the game at whatever resolution you were using. At least that's how I think that works.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    I'm giving up on heriocs now. The theme of Cata seems to be No Guild = No Game.

And I have a guild, its full of nice people and has 15-20 regularly active members. But there's maybe one herioc run a day with a bit of luck. And outside of that I can't achieve shit anymore.

Do normals not give gear that's at all an upgrade to you?

I guess I'm just not sure what Blizzard's intended model is for this expansion. In Wrath people got into the whole "grind heroics all day, every day thing," and it seems like people are expecting that less than two weeks into the new expansion.

In BC people just ran normals, and heroics were something you definitely wanted to be organized (at least at the beginning). I'm wondering if Wrath just spoiled people, and their expectations and Blizzard's aren't lining up at the moment.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Your computer doesn't have to process the game at whatever resolution you were using. At least that's how I think that works.

It's running in the same resolution either way. The only thing I can think of is that there is something it can't do in windowed full screen that it could do in full screen. Although the gamma setting is the only thing I can think of, and it wasn't set.

jackal on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Question.

The guild achievements for clearing dungeons, do you need to have a full party for it to count? Cuz I'm looking at the lower level dungeons going "I can solo those..." Will it count? Do I need 2 people? Or the full 5? And what about raids?

JustinSane07 on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Question.

The guild achievements for clearing dungeons, do you need to have a full party for it to count? Cuz I'm looking at the lower level dungeons going "I can solo those..." Will it count? Do I need 2 people? Or the full 5? And what about raids?

I think a 'guild run' for dungeons means that at least four out of five players in the group have to be in the same guild.

I think the 80% ratio follows into raids as well

Javen on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not really, most of my stuff is 333 or better. Normal bosses seem to have tiny loot tables as well, I kept running normals and kept seeing the exact same thing drop from each boss every time.

Basically I just want to be able to do something. The only character advancement I can take part in right now is random BGs, and I'm not exactly the biggest fan of WoW's awful PVP system.

I honestly have no issue with heriocs being harder. Of course, when the reality sets in that 90% of people are utterly inept and the DF tool you've been using solidly for a year is now merely a gateway to pain and frustration...

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.