As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Did anybody beta test this [Chat ant Generul Discushion]?

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Question.

The guild achievements for clearing dungeons, do you need to have a full party for it to count? Cuz I'm looking at the lower level dungeons going "I can solo those..." Will it count? Do I need 2 people? Or the full 5? And what about raids?

I think a 'guild run' for dungeons means that at least four out of five players in the group have to be in the same guild.

I think the 80% ratio follows into raids as well

So does that mean we need 4 people to clear out say, WC to get the cheevo?

JustinSane07 on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just finished the first heroic, BRC.

Man that was fun. First boss was easy, second took a couple of tries but found a good tactic stopping all 3 from evolving. Steelbender took a good hour or so, trying out a few different tactics but once we actually understood the mechanics it was a simple matter of a single stack for nearly the full debuff time, then a second stack etc. till 8 or 9 stacks, let em fade and take the adds. By that time he was at about 30% so it was easy then. Took him first time with that strat. Beauty and the final boss went down in 1 go.

Reminded me how much fun dungeons can be. 5 people on vent working together almost like a multiplayer puzzle game then executing it perfectly with the resources we had. Makes your justice points feel worth something.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    I'm giving up on heriocs now. The theme of Cata seems to be No Guild = No Game.

And I have a guild, its full of nice people and has 15-20 regularly active members. But there's maybe one herioc run a day with a bit of luck. And outside of that I can't achieve shit anymore.

Do normals not give gear that's at all an upgrade to you?

I guess I'm just not sure what Blizzard's intended model is for this expansion. In Wrath people got into the whole "grind heroics all day, every day thing," and it seems like people are expecting that less than two weeks into the new expansion.

In BC people just ran normals, and heroics were something you definitely wanted to be organized (at least at the beginning). I'm wondering if Wrath just spoiled people, and their expectations and Blizzard's aren't lining up at the moment.

I wonder if the intended path is normal > heroics > raids. Because even back then in TBC if you were geared from normals and rep gear you could do Kara. Is this possible in Cata?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I died ~20 times in my first Cata heroic (I was the undergeared healer), no one left and we got it done eventually. People have been reasonable on all but 3 of my runs. I'm very patient, but then again I've got a lot of free time. Sucks that people are finding it frustrating, I've found it no worse than vanilla Strat UD/UBRS or BC HC Shattered Halls.

You can probably be reasonably equipped for raids by getting all factions to exalted, daily justice points, levelling your tradeskills and never setting foot in heroics. Only 3 of my 346+ items have been drops, 1 a justice purchase and the rest revered/exalted buys.

Edit for clarification.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Noobiest priestNoobiest priest Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've found out that heroics are much easier now that i have gotten almost full heroic level armor set and 1 or 2 reputation epic to go with them. My mana regen and healing power are now noticeably higher than what they were at my first few heroics, so it might be good idea to get at least revered with some of the factions before trying to farm them with the lfd tool.

Still best to bring friends with you if you can, seems like the philosophy in Cata is to reward teamwork and the people using lfd have been notoriously bad in that aspect of the game.

Noobiest priest on
  • Work SafeWork Safe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Evidently while I was away Blizzard changed my server to PVE

A bit of a surprise

Work Safe on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This is your chance to switch factions out of boredom, like a lot of people have.

If you miss ganking.

Xehalus on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, am I crazy - or are dps casters making out like bandits here. So I'm in a dungeon and a ring drops - spirit, int, stam - no hit or crit; and of course a mage grabs it. "It's like the one I have - but better." I think make a comment in Guild Chat and the general concensus is "so". Flummoxed. "Well all casting classes need spirit - not just healers!" And I followed this to its logical conclusion - "So, there is no such thing as a non-caster-dps item. . .just non-healing items?"

This happened all day in pretty much every random I healed - after the last time I said, "screw this. . .this is getting ridiculous" and swapped to tanking. . .at which point I had dps decide "Hey you know OS is the same is MS - so yea I definitely need this over the guy who decided to tank." Can't win for losing.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Mr Slippy FistMr Slippy Fist Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Spirit is 100% useless for mages and warlocks now, unless sombody is building a super awesome out-of-combat mana regen or 5 second rule set. Shadow Priests at least get a talent that lets them convert Spirit to +Hit.

Mr Slippy Fist on
    Yes, I hate my username and wish I could sign up with a new one. Registration sucks.
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mages don't need spirit, neither do warlocks.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Proposal: Hunters who equip weapons/gear with Strength on them immediately have their characters deleted, game account canceled and hard drives wiped.

Also, butt leprosy.

Too harsh?

Halfmex on
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Question.

The guild achievements for clearing dungeons, do you need to have a full party for it to count? Cuz I'm looking at the lower level dungeons going "I can solo those..." Will it count? Do I need 2 people? Or the full 5? And what about raids?

I think a 'guild run' for dungeons means that at least four out of five players in the group have to be in the same guild.

I think the 80% ratio follows into raids as well

So does that mean we need 4 people to clear out say, WC to get the cheevo?

You only need the 4 people in the group, not in the dungeon. So you could just get 4 people and each do a different dungeon to get all 4 achievements.

Grobian on
  • Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm realizing how difficult it is to find high-end gear that has both Haste and Mastery on it.

As an Affliction Warlock, those are the stats I want the most, but Blizzard seems to want to push either Crit and Mastery or Crit and Haste on me.

Black_Heart on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    People are retarded.
    The people you ran with are retarded, but i've seen that shit happen a ton.

Some Mage will see that it has +1 more int than what he has, even if it does drop his stats everywhere else, he will roll Need on that shit because "EL OH EL MOAR DPS!"

I just don't know how to... explain the math to these people. It's not even that hard and I am terrible with numbers.

Black_Heart: Haste + Mastery is going to be a limited item combo. Mastery is LOLZ on most builds, especially DPS classes. Haste is out of this world right now and casting speeds are nearly instant as they are, you're going to be hard pressed to make an Instant Critting Machine.

Mages are close though, lol.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Proposal: Hunters who equip weapons/gear with Strength on them immediately have their characters deleted, game account canceled and hard drives wiped.

Also, butt leprosy.

Too harsh?

Nah, makes sense to me. In leveling my hunter I don't know why you would ever stack STR. You get so much more from AGI. Also....what the heck is with all the Mail with INT on it 40+? Is it shaman gear? I can't imagine a Paladin would be utilizing INT Mail.

Do Shaman use Mail? I know as a hunter it lists Int as "Stat not used"

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Also, butt leprosy.

Too harsh?

Nah, makes sense to me. In leveling my hunter I don't know why you would ever stack STR. You get so much more from AGI. Also....what the heck is with all the Mail with INT on it 40+? Is it shaman gear? I can't imagine a Paladin would be utilizing INT Mail.

Yes, Shaman use mail.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Noisymunk wrote: »

Also, butt leprosy.

Too harsh?

Yes, Shaman use mail.

Ah that would explain it then.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    CasedOut wrote: »
    About guild perks, I am ALREADY in a stupid ass guild that I would never have joined simply because they are level 3 or 4 already? Giving me some xp boost etc. The new guild perk system is crap, that is all.

The only way this shit is gonna work is if, after guilds finally start hitting lvl 25, they start raising the cap and lowering the amount of XP needed to make it easier for guilds behind the curve to catch up.

Cause otherwise, it's gonna fuck up the game's social aspect really really badly, exactly as anyone could have predicted.

shryke on
  • Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Black_Heart: Haste + Mastery is going to be a limited item combo. Mastery is LOLZ on most builds, especially DPS classes. Haste is out of this world right now and casting speeds are nearly instant as they are, you're going to be hard pressed to make an Instant Critting Machine.

Mages are close though, lol.

wait... I completely forgot about the reforging system.

Can I reforge dungeon drops and gear that have Crit or Hit on them to give Mastery and Haste? or do they have to be a certain item level or obtained through Justice Points or something? Crit is great, I like having it... but I want DoTs that tick very fast and for huge amounts of damage. Maybe I should roll with Crit+Haste though.

I guess I need to study up and see what are good numbers to aim for as an Aff Lock with those stats.

Black_Heart on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Item level 200 or greater to reforge, and the item has to have "Equip: Gain +Blah Blah to Whatever" text.

Otherwise, anything goes.

Elvenshae on
    edited December 2010
    Honestly - you can't hate on people TOO much because the game doesn't come out and say "this stat is better for you."

It's easy for us to be all "omlog blogh INT STR SPI..etc" but not everyone knows. To them the logic is Bow + Arrow = STR because that is what you associate in life. Then they don't know if they need to stack shit for their pets...

Now, that is no excuse for the long-time player as they have had a lifetime of figuring it out, but we face a wave of new people everytime an expansion comes out or everytime Blizzard runs a new campaign of commercials featuring out of work 80's T.V. shows stars.

HallowedFaith on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Some of the fan art people do is pretty cool.
    ss1214.jpg

815165 on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Also, butt leprosy.

Too harsh?

Yes, Shaman use mail.

I find it funny the Outland Beastmaster look alike set has spirit and Int socket bonuses on it

Brainleech on
  • notmetalenoughnotmetalenough Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »

Also, butt leprosy.

Too harsh?

Yes, Shaman use mail.

I find it funny the Outland Beastmaster look alike set has spirit and Int socket bonuses on it

To be fair, they haven't reitemized that stuff and those used to be stats that would benefit hunters. They were never GREAT stats for hunters, but hunters used to have mana bars too.

notmetalenough on
    Samael the Radiant Faced-- Official Naming, Going Nuclear, Click on the Quest, Make She Run and Guild Measurements Officer - Clawshrimp & Co, Draenor-US
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Honestly - you can't hate on people TOO much because the game doesn't come out and say "this stat is better for you."

It's easy for us to be all "omlog blogh INT STR SPI..etc" but not everyone knows. To them the logic is Bow + Arrow = STR because that is what you associate in life. Then they don't know if they need to stack shit for their pets...

Now, that is no excuse for the long-time player as they have had a lifetime of figuring it out, but we face a wave of new people everytime an expansion comes out or everytime Blizzard runs a new campaign of commercials featuring out of work 80's T.V. shows stars.
    New people I don't question, but a level 81? Junkpunch'd.

Halfmex on
    edited December 2010

New people I don't question, but a level 81? Junkpunch'd.

Yeah, it's a bit much at level 81, even though it only takes like 7 hours to get to 80 now lol.
    Especially Worgen side.

"Welcome to WoW! DING!"
    "You just spoke to your first NPC! DING!"

HallowedFaith on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    God damnit!

I am in the process of installing WoW. This is taking a LONG time.

I am in the middle of that giant download for v 4.03 or whatever. I figured I'd leave it running all night and when I got up it should be done.

Nope! Cat ran across the keyboard in the middle of the night and cancelled it!

Al_wat on
    edited December 2010
    I fell asleep at the keyboard once while working on this flash project....
    ...the cat was asleep on the keyboard. My flash project was closed and deleted.

Cats are EVIL.
    Cute.
    BUT EVIL!

HallowedFaith on
    edited December 2010
    Al_wat wrote: »
    God damnit!

I am in the process of installing WoW. This is taking a LONG time.

I am in the middle of that giant download for v 4.03 or whatever. I figured I'd leave it running all night and when I got up it should be done.

Nope! Cat ran across the keyboard in the middle of the night and cancelled it!

Actually at a certain point in your download you can actually start playing the game, that's what I ended up doing. Didn't really notice any issues and when I was done playing for the night it went back to finishing th download.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited December 2010
    yeah when its in the yellow zone or whatever right?

I'm holding off for now because I have to test something out.

Basically, I found my CDs for WoW and Burning Crusade, but I couldn't find my WotLK CDs. So... I need to see if this download is also installing WotLK, or if I need to download that separately and install it.

I figure I'll get Cataclysm like next week or something.

Al_wat on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Unless they added one recently, there is no "full" install from b.net. You have to do each one individually and they won't go out of order. If you have the disks for base/tbc install those then do the wotlk download and it'll install fine. If you try either xpack dl without the previous "game" being installed, it won't work.

Again, they might have changed this recently, but I know as of October it wasn't the case.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lots of items with Spirit on there. I could use a bit less of that and more crit/Mastery on my stuff. I'll work on that later.

Finally killed Corborus after about eleven tries. The biggest problem was dealing with adds. The crystals, in particular, needed to be dealt with in a more efficient manner. We began using the Submerge phases to top off our group. Having a druid healer helped, since they can toss HoTs on the run without needing to stand still and worry about avoiding the Thrashing Charge. I threw a Healing Rain onto the ground on a whim and almost cried tears of joy when people actually stood in it.

Slabhide took a couple of tries, because he would sometimes channel his Crystal Storm on top of certain rocks, making them ineligible for cover. There were a few sticky moments here and there, like a lava pool spawning underneath our feet during a Storm, but I mentioned that it would be a good idea to stick near a group of rocks instead of just one out in the middle of nowhere. A common sense idea, but on our successful kill, the only person who took any damage at all was the tank.

Ozruk was fun. It took us a moment to figure out that the bleed was necessary for breaking Paralyze. Our paladin was able to break out and cleanse, as well. Then it was just a matter of getting the timing down for running out and back in after Shatter. Sometimes, Ozruk would face a seemingly random direction and send his Ground Smash ripping through part of the group, but solid execution of the triangle strategy ensured that the Ground Smash would never hit us even if Ozruk decided to be a dick.

My client crashed during our second attempt on the last boss. I forgot that the rocks have a low flight path and got splattered by one. When I was running back, everything froze. After hours and hours of dicking around in The Stonecore, I decided that I was done for the night. All in all, it was good times. Finally got a good group together that didn't mind progression wiping. Taught us a lot of tricks for the fights that we can hopefully pass on to players who are new to that particular Heroic.

Liquid Ghost on
    edited December 2010
    Unless they added one recently, there is no "full" install from b.net. You have to do each one individually and they won't go out of order. If you have the disks for base/tbc install those then do the wotlk download and it'll install fine. If you try either xpack dl without the previous "game" being installed, it won't work.

Again, they might have changed this recently, but I know as of October it wasn't the case.

hmm...

So, here's what I'm in the process of:

-i've installed WoW from disks.

-I then installed tbc from disks

-now I'm doing that big 4.03 download

Can I install WotLK after this download or will that fuck things up, since its technically a lower version? Keep in mind I'm going to have to download WotLK somehow, I assume I can from blizzard since its already activated on my account.

Al_wat on
    edited December 2010
    Er.. ok. What?

How are you downloading 4.03 without WOTLK?

HallowedFaith on
    edited December 2010
    I...

I dont know

I'll dick around once this download completes and get to the bottom of what I've actually done.

Al_wat on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Everyone gets patches regardless of what xpacks they had. 4.0.3 was universal.

I think though it won't let you install the 4.0.3 without wotlk installed first. You're welcome to try but I imagine you'll get an error. It shouldn't fuck things up, it just straight up shouldn't install without at least 3.0 installed.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

The revamped 1 - 60 content actually kinda pushes the stat thing on you. Cloth has int (sometimes spirit) mail has strength, and leather has agility. It changes up at level 40 content, of course, but still; Blizzard has done what they can to instruct people on what they need. If people don't learn, it's because they have a learning disability.

Henroid on
    edited December 2010
    If that is the case I can only assume as a part of this download that it installed WotLK.

I'll find out for sure in only a few minutes, the download finally completed.

Al_wat on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Er.. ok. What?

How are you downloading 4.03 without WOTLK?

You can patch the game despite lacking expansions. Expansions mean unlocking the new content and features. Patches update existing content / features.

It'd be a very complicated system if people couldn't patch to 4.0.3, the patch that revamps the entire goddamn world. :P

Henroid on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    One, you don't need your CD keys to install from the CDs/DVDs, they install without any checks. Two, there's no reason to install from anything besides the Cata DVD or the B.net client as all account types use the same client and you don't need to install each one individually to get to it.

Opty on
This discussion has been closed.