Options

[WoW] Did anybody beta test this [Chat ant Generul Discushion]?

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    I had to queue specifically for ToT heroic so I could get my quests done in there.

I've only seen that place once on heroic. I don't know what it is but it seems to be really rare in the random queue. Probably just coincidence but it's crazy :P

On the flip side, fuck Heroic Deadmines and the fact that it comes up ALL THE DAMN TIME and it's so freaking long. Also it has no drops for me.

I dont think ive ever gotten HDM on random. I had to specifically queue up for it. But I got ToT a few times now. Wierd.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Calixtus wrote: »
    The minimum level of know-how-that-still-gives-loot has always been lower for DPS, even if the maximum isn't that different between roles. Same with any other form of requirement, gear or preparation - a slacking tank means no loot, a slacking DPS just means the other DPS needs to step up somewhat.

I actually think this has almost evened out in cata five mans, at least between tanks and dps. And I actually don't think healers and damage are that far apart, it's just that healer failure is much easier for people to recognize than DPS failure (and that lots of the time dps failure is misdiagnosed as healer fail.)

It's no longer true that a good healer and a competent tank can just keep the group alive long enough for three bad dps to fumble their way through an encounter. DPS has to do a good job of managing their own health and ending the fight within the timeline of healer mana or you just won't win most heroic fights, and that hasn't been the case in very many encounters historically.

I also think DPS is harder to do competently while running around dodging a million things than healing is (at least, comparing warlock and feral to resto shaman.)
    Well. It's certainly less true than it used to be, but there's still a lot more room for individual error on behalf of DPS - how much HP the boss can have when you lose one of your teammember is a neat measurement; Most of the time, you can lose that 1 DPS to a fire and still beat the encounter and cash in on your loot, where the same death on the tank or healer would've led to a wipe. The inability to pin fuckups on DPS is also a problem, as you say, but it further enforces that it's a lot easier to be carried as a DPS than as a healer or tank. I mean, it helps immensely if DPS manage their own health, but with some insta-gibbing exceptions that let's us invoke DEAD MEN DO NO DPS, even there the healer can step up and do their thinking for them.

I'm seriously thinking of leveling a priest solely to pull people out of fires. In theory, it seems like the perfect spell; Not only did you just SAVE THE RAID, you also made it abundantly clear to someone that they were about to fuck up.

And under the general umbrella of reminiscence: Remember when body-pulling was frowned upon except in exceptional circumstances? It occured to me a few days ago that way-back-when, the tank rarely pulled, the mage and/or hunters did. In fact, and I'm hoping my mind isn't playing tricks on me, the modus operandi for pulls was sheeps first, the mage hid behind a wall of tanks, and then the tanks snagged their targets - occasionally interspaced with the assistance of hunters, first for self-aggro forcing the mobs to run past tanks, and later using misdirect. I'd completely forgotten about that until I realized I was trying to figure out how to not break CC's and realized "Hey, I know this. We used to do this shit all the time. And I've missed doing it too!".

Calixtus on
    -This message was deviously brought to you by:
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So my Druid is revered with Stormwind and I'm getting close to the point where I can buy 280% flying. Anyone have any suggestions on ways to get to exalted quick so I can shave off some more from that 5000g price tag? :P Like maybe lowbie zones I can knock out that will give me a bunch of rep? I can't remember if Westfall/Redridge/Duskwood gave SW rep or not - I know Blizzard was kind of weird with how they doled out rep for the new lowbie quests where some gave it and others gave nothing (seemed like the higher level zones gave nothing unless it was a specific faction like Thorium or Goblins)...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So my Druid is revered with Stormwind and I'm getting close to the point where I can buy 280% flying. Anyone have any suggestions on ways to get to exalted quick so I can shave off some more from that 5000g price tag? :P Like maybe lowbie zones I can knock out that will give me a bunch of rep? I can't remember if Westfall/Redridge/Duskwood gave SW rep or not - I know Blizzard was kind of weird with how they doled out rep for the new lowbie quests where some gave it and others gave nothing (seemed like the higher level zones gave nothing unless it was a specific faction like Thorium or Goblins)...

SW tabard + dungeons? It's not the exciting pick, but it's effective, unless you're in the 60s or 70s (wrath dungeons might give rep, anyone know?)

Bobble on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tanks can be bigger fucks up and groups not wipe though, with things like misdirect, cc, and really good healers you can have a face roll tank and still finish a heroic. I swear in Cata tanks have a serious prima donna "me first fuck you dps" complex. We all work together to get encounters down.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Bobble wrote: »

SW tabard + dungeons? It's not the exciting pick, but it's effective, unless you're in the 60s or 70s (wrath dungeons might give rep, anyone know?)

Wrath won't give rep, neither will bc (rare mobs will give it to you in both but not all of them, like in AJ you'd get city rep from the second boss but none of the rest). You can run old vanilla dungeons and get city rep, its less then if you were of level, but you can blow through a big boss dungeon like BRD and walk away with decent rep gains.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Try Goldshire, pretty sure they still give SW rep. I don't think the tabard gives rep in Wrath dungeons, there was some (very weird sounding) technical explanation for why Blizzard couldn't make it so.

Calixtus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

Wrath won't give rep, neither will bc (rare mobs will give it to you in both but not all of them, like in AJ you'd get city rep from the second boss but none of the rest). You can run old vanilla dungeons and get city rep, its less then if you were of level, but you can blow through a big boss dungeon like BRD and walk away with decent rep gains.

Yeah my Druid is level 65 so no tabard/dungeoneering. I tried to solo Stockades but the only real AOE spell I have ATM is Hurricane which is kind of a mana hog and not very effective (esp when none of the mobs even really aggro me). Overall it wasn't the best rep gain.

Maybe I'll just try out Westfall and see if I get any rep from the quests.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah my Druid is level 65 so no tabard/dungeoneering. I tried to solo Stockades but the only real AOE spell I have ATM is Hurricane which is kind of a mana hog and not very effective (esp when none of the mobs even really aggro me). Overall it wasn't the best rep gain.

I think in the end you'll save more time/make more money by biting the bullet, getting 280% at revered, and getting to those Cata zones a lot sooner. You make money hand over fist in there, and whatever time you spend grinding SW rep now (which, if you're not within 1k or 2 of exalted, is going to take a while) could be spent rolling in the money pile that is 80+ content.

Bobble on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tanks can be bigger fucks up and groups not wipe though, with things like misdirect, cc, and really good healers you can have a face roll tank and still finish a heroic. I swear in Cata tanks have a serious prima donna "me first fuck you dps" complex. We all work together to get encounters down.

This is true. I've finished dungeons where the tank died almost every fight, and I had to pet tank it the rest of the way.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah if you haven't done westfall, redridge and darkshire they should all provide stormwind, failing that just run around and do any zone you didn't as even if you are getting darn rep you are also getting stormwind although at a lesser rate.

Also revered still provides lesser flight costs, so it'll be 4250 instead of the 5k.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

This is true. I've finished dungeons where the tank died almost every fight, and I had to pet tank it the rest of the way.

Also in cata people are hesistant as hell to blame the tanks, like we had a paladin tank who didn't have righteous fury on who insisted it was the dps fault for pulling aggro (this was in normal thank christ) or a dk who wasn't in blood stance who kept getting ripped. Simple mistakes, but if a dps was using his fishing pole for damage people would be more apt to point it out.

Last night I ran a regular HoO (always always fucking comes up on my normal rotation) and I had to instruct the group on every fight the whole way through, even then people still died to things I forgot or didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to get hit with (like void zones on the purple boss, VOID ZONES!).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It never ceases to amaze me that people past level 70 can still not understand the concept of not standing in stuff that is burning or otherwise dangerous looking. The only thing I can attribute it to is extreme tunnel vision as they are focusing on their rotation or staring at the boss, irritating either way.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Also in cata people are hesistant as hell to blame the tanks, like we had a paladin tank who didn't have righteous fury on who insisted it was the dps fault for pulling aggro (this was in normal thank christ) or a dk who wasn't in blood stance who kept getting ripped. Simple mistakes, but if a dps was using his fishing pole for damage people would be more apt to point it out.

Last night I ran a regular HoO (always always fucking comes up on my normal rotation) and I had to instruct the group on every fight the whole way through, even then people still died to things I forgot or didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to get hit with (like void zones on the purple boss, VOID ZONES!).

I am happy that my battlegroup seems to be good (Illidian players are welcome in my randoms). After a weekend of pretty good heroic running I have yet to find a total fail person. Everyone seems to CC and focus now. What I do usually is leave a mob unmarked and swap skull to him to see if people are paying attention. It usually works which makes me happy.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It never ceases to amaze me that people past level 70 can still not understand the concept of not standing in stuff that is burning or otherwise dangerous looking. The only thing I can attribute it to is extreme tunnel vision as they are focusing on their rotation or staring at the boss, irritating either way.

Its even worse in cata when the default UI even pops up warnings about certain events. Like the mage and priest got hit with the blinding flash boss despite me telling people to just turn around (and its even worse for the stupid healer who shouldn't even be facing the boss at all during the fight).

Only two bosses really break that mold, last boss of vp and grim batol both have a "safe" spot you stand in, though thats also avoiding a bunch of areas that aren't.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Its even worse in cata when the default UI even pops up warnings about certain events. Like the mage and priest got hit with the blinding flash boss despite me telling people to just turn around (and its even worse for the stupid healer who shouldn't even be facing the boss at all during the fight).

Only two bosses really break that mold, last boss of vp and grim batol both have a "safe" spot you stand in, though thats also avoiding a bunch of areas that aren't.

Most of the people I see that have a hard time getting out of bad stuff is on the ones you cant see very well. People get out of lasers pretty fast. There are so many "fires" now and some of them are pretty hard to see. For me too as I have to play on low. For instance the fire from the called drake in GB and the little poison fire in ToT. Also sprinvales.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I explained this earlier actually. The chance of getting a dumb/douchebag tank is proportional to the time in queue for DPS. Queue times have increased (from a host of factors...tanks choosing to run in guild where possible, Heroics taking longer to run, or people discovering that they don't like tanking with the changes from wotlk to cata).

This leaves the egotistical tanks who think they are god's gift to those 4 pathetic wretches in the instance and who have no problem dropping the first time someone dies. As for the dumb tanks, well, every now and then someone who's never tanked before gets it into their head that they can tank for the faster queues. We all know how that turns out.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I am happy that my battlegroup seems to be good (Illidian players are welcome in my randoms). After a weekend of pretty good heroic running I have yet to find a total fail person. Everyone seems to CC and focus now. What I do usually is leave a mob unmarked and swap skull to him to see if people are paying attention. It usually works which makes me happy.

My heroics are usually pretty damn solid, its my normals that I find mouth breathers, but thats to be expected since I'd hope people shake off the cobwebs in normals and bring their A game to heroics. Also hitting heroics after the initial rush has let more people have crafted and exalted epics and be more aware.

I do find myself mentally checking things people do stupid that will get them killed in heroic though. Like breaking both cc's while mobs are still alive (I know a group can handle it, but I tire of finishing a fight with the healer having to drink, when if you wait an extra 5 seconds it goes much smoother).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

This was a constant source of frustration for me in Wrath. I'm am by no means a hardcore raider or anything like that but my guild would do raids every other week and were generally decent players. But once the boss battles started it's like their brains shut off. Most of them would be ok but there would invariably be 3-4 people who just consistently get hit by the most avoidable things.

Or the one boss in Naxx with the chamber you had to constantly move in. It was rare for us to finish that WITHOUT 3/4 of our team dead....and it is so easy to do.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I ran a heroic Blackrock Caverns yesterday where the tank kept insisting she knew the fights, and then would completely screw them up. I'll spare you the story behind the rest of the fights, but on Steelbender specifically, we wiped four times because the tank just could not wrap her head around the idea of keeping the debuff up on the boss. On the fifth attempt, the tank was once again about to let the debuff fall off, so I (as the paladin healer) simply taunted the boss into the fire to refresh it. This went on to happen ten more times throughout the course of the fight. We won with no casualties; the bad tank even got the achievement for killing him with 15 stacks of the debuff up.

Point is, you don't need a good everything in the group, just enough good party members to cover for the bad ones. In my experience this means you either need a good healer and tank; a good healer and two good DPS; or a good tank and two good DPS (who can heal or at least kite).

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    City Tabards gives you rep from all Classic Dungeons, as well as all dungeons that are level 80 or higher (so all Cataclysm dungeons/heroics, all Wrath heroics, and any Wrath dungeon with a level of 80, such as regular Halls of Lightning).
    However, you get less rep from dungeons that are trivial to you (not exactly sure where cutoff is, but I would guess when the mobs are gray).

As a side note, it's possible for 85s to solo some level 80 heroics. And the mobs there are still green and give full rep.

Hopefully they'll make Burning Crusade dungeons and Wrath 68-79 dungeons give rep whenever they actually get around to giving the tBC dungeons in-game maps. Which I expect will be sometime after the dance studio and worgen mounts get added.

Lars on
  • Options
    simsim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'm having the opposite problem. People are becoming so paranoid that they run away from ground aoe heals. :rotate:

Lady Naz is the only boss I personally have problems with. I can't see water spouts very well at all unless I'm staring right at them.

sim on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

This was a constant source of frustration for me in Wrath. I'm am by no means a hardcore raider or anything like that but my guild would do raids every other week and were generally decent players. But once the boss battles started it's like their brains shut off. Most of them would be ok but there would invariably be 3-4 people who just consistently get hit by the most avoidable things.

Or the one boss in Naxx with the chamber you had to constantly move in. It was rare for us to finish that WITHOUT 3/4 of our team dead....and it is so easy to do.

I do like the "ready to raid" achievement in Heroic DM, because it kind of is an indicator.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I can easily see why heroic DM would make people rage though, especially the admiral, some of those steam vapors seem to just almost blow up all the time despite killing them at a decent clip.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I do like the "ready to raid" achievement in Heroic DM, because it kind of is an indicator.

Cracked up for like half an hour when I got that, it's so true.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    sim wrote: »

I'm having the opposite problem. People are becoming so paranoid that they run away from ground aoe heals. :rotate:

Lady Naz is the only boss I personally have problems with. I can't see water spouts very well at all unless I'm staring right at them.
    *cough* :oops:

My personal theory - from way back when - was that people who identify more closely with their character are more likely to not stand in random crap. They see it, think "what the hell is that shit" and execute the evolutionary ingrained reflex of getting the fuck away from it until it has been decided to be non-harmful (I've watched my cat perform this on ordinary garden-variety grass, and snow, which looked hilarious). People who're just playing the game, right down to a subconscious level, are more "I wonder what that is?" which slows them down compared to the people who react with base-level fear.

Calixtus on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

But they won't hesitate to run the fuck out of the circle of healy goodness.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Yeah I've seen guys stand in beam fire on the first boss in HoO but run away from shaman rain. Because of this I've seen macros that pop up "HEALING RAIN STAND IN BLUE."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Personal opinion that, ignoring the complete idiots, that it's related to how much a person looks at their action bar when choosing what to do next.

Someone who doesn't have to look down and has a good action bar / is mouse turning? This person will react much faster to the fires then someone who has to look down and is mouseclicking.

I pity healers most of all in this scenario.

As for tanks, I dunno. As a tank, it feels like I am in charge. Whether it's because I am and am a jerk or people naturally look to the tank? I don't know. Feels a litle of both, sometimes.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't mind a tank being in charge, I hate having to mark targets as a rogue, because it prevents me from pick pocketin... uhh lining up my sap, but there is a huge difference between being in charge and being all HERRRPPP DERPPP!

Like I've had a take charge tank who didn't believe in CC and damn near killed us on every pull until the dps decided his belief was not ours.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wrath hcs certainly give rep at 85, and not really a smaller amount either.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah I've seen guys stand in beam fire on the first boss in HoO but run away from shaman rain. Because of this I've seen macros that pop up "HEALING RAIN STAND IN BLUE."

I think I'll do that too. I don't know why I didn't think about it.
    I don't get how people can't really tell the difference between the good shit and bad shit. But I've bitched about that enough.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It seems kind of natural to me to let the tank lead as they tend to be the best person in the party to initiate pulls anyway, and because of that they are going to end up setting the pace of the instance for the most part anyway.

Edit: Some good shit and bad shit is really hard to tell for the first time until you get used to and know what the enemy mobs can cast. The GIANT shaft of blindingly white light that boomkins call down does not look like something that a player can cast or something that you want to stand in, while in fact its super awesome for a tank to tank casters in it as all enemies in the pillar are silenced.

But guess what, players are trained to go "standing in something I've never seen before? better gtfo" You don't have time to read a tooltip "Does 500k fire damage per second for fiftee- oh look I am very dead" If you want people to stand in your graphical effect on the ground, explicitly tell them to stand in your graphical effect on the ground if you see that they are not doing it.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Healers set the pace of instances because their mana bar is the law. Tanks mark targets but other than that it's no harder than playing DPS and power trip tanks can diaf.

Walt on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The problem with the shaman aoe heal is that it's like a weird blue color. First time I thought it was a mob ability too. At least with the priest/druid ones they look holy/nature-y so it's a bit more obvious at a glace that they are helpful.

As for tanks, they seem really rare now. I don't really get it. We'll have a guild group but we'll be missing a tank, and it will still take like ~15 minutes for a random even with a healer already in the group. But yeah, I hate the know-it-all tanks. 90% of the time I find they are generally pretty shitty even though they act all cocky like they know what they're doing.

Edit: In terms of void zones, the ones I always hated were Sartharion's. I mean, red void zones, on red ground, with red DK Death & Decay on top of it, and a ton of people all bunched up because Blizzard hates melee. Yeah, that was shit. They FINALLY turned them blue thankfully.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wish there was a way to pick and choose which ground based spell effects you wanted to see. My screen gets so cluttered sometimes it's hard to see what spells are in play.

npc circles of doom: enabled
    player circles of doom: disabled
    circles of healy goodness: enabled

An option to adjust the brightness level of each would be groovy.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wizball wrote: »
    I didn't express myself very well; I meant something more like "focus on new player experience". Not just tutorials, tooltips and help, but also when you get key abilities and how the quests and zones are laid out. All of it is vastly improved. Buying wow and starting a new char has never been more welcoming.

Unless you want to be a Druid tank while you level.

Or a Resto Shaman.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got queued into an instance instantly last night when I tried as a tank... I'm not sure if it even waited for me to press 'enter queue', might have just been when I clicked the tank box =)

ToddJewell on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ToddJewell wrote: »
    I got queued into an instance instantly last night when I tried as a tank... I'm not sure if it even waited for me to press 'enter queue', might have just been when I clicked the tank box =)

I actually like the longer que as a dps, sure it means when I get in a fail run I have a long wait to get a success, but it also means I have time to do dailys, arch, or just sit and fish. When you que tank its just instance instance instance.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I hopped in a normal this weekend to grind some rep. They are faceroll easy when you get to 340+ilvl

Jubal77 on
This discussion has been closed.