Options

[WoW] Did anybody beta test this [Chat ant Generul Discushion]?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's why banish is my favorite CC. Don't have to worry if some herp derp tank slapped a bleed on my target, or if some DPS is braindead and ignores target markers etc. It doesn't matter, my CC'd target is no longer on this material plane. Enjoy your "immune" messages.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    The best runs ive been in have had DPS that did thier own damn marking and CC leaving me to what I should be doing as a tank. Agro mobs, interrupt, position etc. Its the way it should be.

I don't mind doing my own sap target as long as the tank abides by it, I always try and pick the far target or the most dangerous, without fail thats the herp derp target of choice.

It is easier if dps just pick a mark (or two) and says that will be what they're going to cc. It at least tells the rest of the group that that dps is paying attention and ready for the pull.

As a resto shaman, who isn't going to spec into the elemental tree to get the required hit, I tell the tank that he shouldn't be relying on my Hex all the time (this really is stupid; more so that holy paladins don't have to worry about it), but I can re-try my elemental cc (if I miss, I've typically got another go before it'll get to me, but at that point, a tank will run over to save me and hit it out of cc just as it lands).

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    That's why banish is my favorite CC. Don't have to worry if some herp derp tank slapped a bleed on my target, or if some DPS is braindead and ignores target markers etc. It doesn't matter, my CC'd target is no longer on this material plane. Enjoy your "immune" messages.

Its why I'm glad my wife moved to a warlock over a hunter, true you guys have your new glyphed fear as another potential cc or succy seduce, but elemental banishment is a god send with some of the elementals (like those dill weeds in grim batol or the splitting boss trash in HoO).

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    simsim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can be a challenging tank. I don't like marking for CC, so I put random symbols on targets for CC and let them figure it out. It works really well in guild groups...not so much in pugs.

sim on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nobody wrote: »
    We also didn't have the LFD tool at the beginning of Wrath. You either had to rely on being in a guild, knowing tanks or on trade channel pug recruitment. I'm not sure you can really draw a comparison there.

Which was the point I was making, people are comparing end expansion wrath ques to beginning expansion cata ques and they aren't even the same ballpark. I bet you if we had LFG at the start of wrath the ques would have been as long if not longer. People forget that back in the day Aj, halls of lighting, halls of stone and OK were often never run because people hated fucking doing them and Naxx was easier to run for upgrades.

What was wrong with Ajol-Nerub? Short, easy instance :P HoL was pretty easy too as long as people weren't fucking idiots and ran out of Loken's lightning nova. It was a little long though.

The one no one wanted to do was Oculus because that one sucked ass, so much that they outright nerfed it to oblivion (it was actually pretty fun once they nerfed it IMO, but the damage was kind of done and it had that reputation for sucking attached).

Personally, I hated most of the Wrath dungeons though. Most had a buttload of trash and took forever. The "event" ones (i.e. VH, ToC) were good and I actually didn't mind either of the Utgarde ones either. Nexus could DIAF for all I cared though. Also after 3.3, PoS and HoR that I ended up getting every god damn day for random. PoS just because it was annoying and stupid, HoR just because all the pugs sucked and couldn't do it (I actually like that instance with a non-retarded group)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    End wrote: »
    Calixtus wrote: »
    Personally, I think they should implement tri spec, but demand that a maximum of 2 major in the same tree.

While that'd give me the option of having a pvp version of an existing spec (and that'd really just be "oh hey, you get to pick up the stam talents), I'm ...I'm not really sure what the goal of that would be.
    Lower the treshold for healing/tanking. You're a shadowpriest. You DPS. You're a shadowpriest in PvP as well, because, you know, FACEMELT. You get a third spec, but it can't be shadow. Gratz, you're a healer now.

Opportunity cost for healing the occasional five man goes way down. Apply to all other classes. (I mean, sure, people could just go for 3 different PvP specs, but then that's sort of their problem when it comes to five man queues.)

re: Economy of respeccing; My druid has currently spent 126g on respecs, according to the statistics tab.

I have also, for this druid, spent 16K on a mammoth, 12K on a chopper, 8K on another mammoth, 7K on the dalaran hearth ring, <insert all pre Cata mounts that could be bought with money>. Since the druid was my second character with a 100 mounts, we can double the above, and add third 7K ring. Also, Haris Pilton bags, the red glasses for my bank alt, a dwarf hunter alt that just had to have the 600g bear mount, etcetc.

My oldest character, has 968g spent on respecs. This is still less than I paid to have "of the Shattered Sun" appended to the same character's name.

Respecs; Not really taking that much money out of the economy when compared to all the other fun stuff. You could add a title called "Filthy Rich", make it cost 100K, make it available to low level bank alts, attach an achivement, and you'd take more money out of the economy per character than all the respecs for that account has ever done previously.

re: 6 man instances; Would certainly help. Actually, it's pretty strange they didn't do this for Cata, cause it work pretty much awesomely.

Calixtus on
    -This message was deviously brought to you by:
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nothing sadder then a character refusing to give up old purples. Hell seeing the greens for plate I'm tempted when I play my war to just buy ah greens and get rid of all my old epic gear. I mean in bc you could wait till Nagrand before you got out of tier 2, but cata really does have green as the new purple.

Had a tank in HoO last night who was still using multiple 251 epics.

He had 10k more hp than me.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »
    We also didn't have the LFD tool at the beginning of Wrath. You either had to rely on being in a guild, knowing tanks or on trade channel pug recruitment. I'm not sure you can really draw a comparison there.

Which was the point I was making, people are comparing end expansion wrath ques to beginning expansion cata ques and they aren't even the same ballpark. I bet you if we had LFG at the start of wrath the ques would have been as long if not longer. People forget that back in the day Aj, halls of lighting, halls of stone and OK were often never run because people hated fucking doing them and Naxx was easier to run for upgrades.

What was wrong with Ajol-Nerub? Short, easy instance :P HoL was pretty easy too as long as people weren't fucking idiots and ran out of Loken's lightning nova. It was a little long though.

The one no one wanted to do was Oculus because that one sucked ass, so much that they outright nerfed it to oblivion (it was actually pretty fun once they nerfed it IMO, but the damage was kind of done and it had that reputation for sucking attached).

Personally, I hated most of the Wrath dungeons though. Most had a buttload of trash and took forever. The "event" ones (i.e. VH, ToC) were good and I actually didn't mind either of the Utgarde ones either. Nexus could DIAF for all I cared though. Also after 3.3, PoS and HoR that I ended up getting every god damn day for random. PoS just because it was annoying and stupid, HoR just because all the pugs sucked and couldn't do it (I actually like that instance with a non-retarded group)

Aj at the start was a nightmare with its poisons, first boss was hell on priests. Second boss wasn't too bad, but sometimes you'd lose the boss entirely to the trash (which sucked because he had the tank trinket, one of the few wrath none last bosses anyone wanted for gear). And the guantlet at the end also was bad because of poisons/damage. You either got a competent group and it was difficult but not impossible, or you never beat the last boss and you cursed it when it came up as a random.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Personally, I think they should implement tri spec, but demand that a maximum of 2 major in the same tree.

While that'd give me the option of having a pvp version of an existing spec (and that'd really just be "oh hey, you get to pick up the stam talents), I'm ...I'm not really sure what the goal of that would be.
    Lower the treshold for healing/tanking. You're a shadowpriest. You DPS. You're a shadowpriest in PvP as well, because, you know, FACEMELT. You get a third spec, but it can't be shadow. Gratz, you're a healer now.

Opportunity cost for healing the occasional five man goes way down. Apply to all other classes. (I mean, sure, people could just go for 3 different PvP specs, but then that's sort of their problem when it comes to five man queues.)

Honestly I doubt that would work like you think it would. People aren't not queuing as tank/heal because they don't have the spec for it. People aren't queuing because it flat out sucks to do, and they want to DPS.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nothing sadder then a character refusing to give up old purples. Hell seeing the greens for plate I'm tempted when I play my war to just buy ah greens and get rid of all my old epic gear. I mean in bc you could wait till Nagrand before you got out of tier 2, but cata really does have green as the new purple.

That's all nice, but you can take a hit. Tanks in wrath gear are not welcome in groups that I heal.

sim on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    sim wrote: »

That's all nice, but you can take a hit. Tanks in wrath gear are not welcome in groups that I heal.

Styrofoam rolls a healer, healers don't have big hps last I checked.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Styrofoam rolls a healer, healers don't have big hps last I checked.

Ah I thought he was playing a tank. I've had some bad experiences in 84ish pugs with wrath gear equipped tanks with high HP who think they're still hot stuff but drain my mana faster than a one level lower pali tank in the same group with 20K less hp.

sim on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

re: 6 man instances; Would certainly help. Actually, it's pretty strange they didn't do this for Cata, cause it work pretty much awesomely.

If dps have got big queues, then it implies it's the most popular role. If queues for dps have gone up, I don't see why they should change dungeons to 6 mans to combat this, because I'd have thought the more logical solution would be to make tanking / healing more appealing.

The current dungeons are great for dps, because if they play properly, with interrupts and cc's and kiting and so on, then the run goes much smoother and they're made to feel awesome.

But for me, as a healer (who isn't a holy paladin), this has the knock on effect of making runs either dull, with people not taking much damage, or stressful in healing fools. Maybe I'm just getting bored of the game pve healing wise, but I've not felt any satisfaction beyond the run being over and me not having to heal anymore (note, I've done places as an elemental shaman and it was infinitely more enjoyable and stress free).

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Ah I thought he was playing a tank. I've had some bad experiences in 84ish pugs with wrath gear equipped tanks with high HP who think they're still hot stuff but drain my mana faster than a one level lower pali tank in the same group with 20K less hp.

I couldn't even imagine a wrath gear tank having more hp then one in full cata greens, the stam inflation on cata gear is awesometastic.

It's worse as a dps seeing meele with old wrath weps, again the damage alone on the 78 greens is better then just about every cata weapon save the icc 25 stuff.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

If dps have got big queues, then it implies it's the most popular role. If queues for dps have gone up, I don't see why they should change dungeons to 6 mans to combat this, because I'd have thought the more logical solution would be to make tanking / healing more appealing.

The current dungeons are great for dps, because if they play properly, with interrupts and cc's and kiting and so on, then the run goes much smoother and they're made to feel awesome.

But for me, as a healer (who isn't a holy paladin), this has the knock on effect of making runs either dull, with people not taking much damage, or stressful in healing fools. Maybe I'm just getting bored of the game pve healing wise, but I've not felt any satisfaction beyond the run being over and me not having to heal anymore (note, I've done places as an elemental shaman and it was infinitely more enjoyable and stress free).
    I'm not sure how they really can make healing or tanking appealing, most people don't want to have any responsibility for their group while they play; why add an element of stress to your fun?

815165 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    815165 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how they really can make healing or tanking appealing, most people don't want to have any responsibility for their group while they play; why add an element of stress to your fun?

They need to make a class that heals by DPSing :P 'Course that is much easier said than done :)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

They need to make a class that heals by DPSing :P 'Course that is much easier said than done :)

Yeah and welcome the DK wave part 2, only this times its healtards instead of tanks.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

If dps have got big queues, then it implies it's the most popular role.

I think it's more that every class can be DPS, while the same is not true for the other roles.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah and welcome the DK wave part 2, only this times its healtards instead of tanks.
    Disc Priests can kind of do this now with smite, it's pretty cool.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    DVG wrote: »

I think it's more that every class can be DPS, while the same is not true for the other roles.

Well every class but shadow priests.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

zing!

Rend on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I couldn't even imagine a wrath gear tank having more hp then one in full cata greens, the stam inflation on cata gear is awesometastic.

It's worse as a dps seeing meele with old wrath weps, again the damage alone on the 78 greens is better then just about every cata weapon save the icc 25 stuff.

It is the "purple" mentality. Clearly anything Purple or Blue is better than anything Green.

But yeah the Stamina increase in the game is absurd! I had some guildies help me with Nexus on my hunter that i'm levelling up, I was only able to find two that could help me at the moment, a Pally and a Shaman. Pally was going to tank, Shammy was going to heal. After the first boss both switched to pure dps specs.

With both sitting at over 100k hp (and me at my measly 9k at the time) they were literally melting each boss in 5-6 seconds. Mage boss? yeah 2 seconds flat.

It was hilarious as we just walked through the whole instance. I was planning on using the experience to get used to instances on my hunter but.....yeah.....:mrgreen:

I did however get a nice Utgarde Keep group that got through the whole instance in one shot. I was genuinely shocked, The pally tank didn't seem overly impressed with our lvl 70 groups damage though :( He complained early that none of us were breaking 1k dps, although on the following pull I broke it rather easily which made him feel better I guess. I was fully expecting us to wipe on the final boss but our healer was good our tank knew the fight and the dps....well the dpsers (aside from myself) died pretty horribly. But my lovely Devilsaur and myself were able to burn him down.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    UK is tough to LFG because you can do it at 68, but wrath has such a sporadic fuck you upgrade system you'll enter the instance at that level in a smattering of BC greens that you probably haven't upgraded since hellfire. Its one reason when I got my rogue ready for cata I bought up cata greens from the AH, I did not want to redo borean tundra at 68 where every fight was a struggle.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Rend wrote: »

zing!

I hold my warlock grudges from BC mother gooses!! Which was funny, as a lock in BC I was destro which basically meant I was a shadowbolt mage.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    UK is tough to LFG because you can do it at 68, but wrath has such a sporadic fuck you upgrade system you'll enter the instance at that level in a smattering of BC greens that you probably haven't upgraded since hellfire. Its one reason when I got my rogue ready for cata I bought up cata greens from the AH, I did not want to redo borean tundra at 68 where every fight was a struggle.

Yeah that's the one thing that was a bummer moving from BC to Wrath. I hit Borean Tundra with my hunter that had been steamrolling all content and it felt like I hit a brick wall. I burned through it and each quest that gave me a new piece of gear made it easier. I'm fully decked out in some nice green/blue Wrath gear now and am moving on to tackle Howling Fjord (one of the zones I actually like) Not only are the mobs easier (slight level advantage on my part now) but the gear has helped immensely.

(plus I have a wicked looking gun finally. So tired of Bows.....)

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Yeah that's the one thing that was a bummer moving from BC to Wrath. I hit Borean Tundra with my hunter that had been steamrolling all content and it felt like I hit a brick wall. I burned through it and each quest that gave me a new piece of gear made it easier. I'm fully decked out in some nice green/blue Wrath gear now and am moving on to tackle Howling Fjord (one of the zones I actually like) Not only are the mobs easier (slight level advantage on my part now) but the gear has helped immensely.

(plus I have a wicked looking gun finally. So tired of Bows.....)

Yeah thats the route I take when I hit the wrath stuff, start with borean, finish it, do howling fjord which I actually like to do. Depending on if I hate myslef enough I'll either do dragonblight or just move on to grizzly hills. Most recently on my gobbo, I did borean, howling fjord, dragonblight, and capped off in scholozar basin.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Honestly I doubt that would work like you think it would. People aren't not queuing as tank/heal because they don't have the spec for it. People aren't queuing because it flat out sucks to do, and they want to DPS.
    I'm not saying there aren't people who just really don't want to tank and heal period, but there certainly are people who wouldn't mind doing it if it wasn't so much work to switch. Hell, part of the reason they removed the def cap was to make tanking easier - but average gear levels will have to get a lot higher before we notice the effect of that, because no one in hell is going to be using an "off-spec" tank voluntarily at this point. 6 man instances, despite requiring a retuning of every single dungeon would probably come off as more elegent though.

And tanking is always going to be "Your DPS, but your area of responsibility isn't limited to the Skull, or the CC target (or if you're a warlock, your other CC target), it's everything, and their positioning, at the same time.". I mean, shit, in Grim Batol, as a druid tank you've got a CC as well. Healing's slightly better, but, well, it's always going to be a bit special.

Calixtus on
    -This message was deviously brought to you by:
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would love the fuck out of a combo point based healing class.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I do have to say that I think cata is my favorite expansion so far. I did all the quests all of them! I hit 85 shortly after starting uldum but I really wanted to see the rest of the quests.

Harrison Jones's quests and chains were great and then Garrosh gets his own Harrison Ford moment at the start of the Twilight Highlands, awesome.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Side note, looks like Blizzard just updated the Mobile Armory with all the new cata armory stuff. And yet I'm still wondering why this damn thing is not available on the Android market when the freaking Auction House is...

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Side note, looks like Blizzard just updated the Mobile Armory with all the new cata armory stuff. And yet I'm still wondering why this damn thing is not available on the Android market when the freaking Auction House is...

That's why I raid with my iphone...

Though I haven't used armory since it spooked me when I tried to sign into the game while I was in the mobile armory and it wouldn't let me in. Reminded me of when I had my shit hacked.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

My favorite thing is classes that can be tanks or healers complaining about long queues.

Was in a battleground the other day, had a Paladin complain about not getting heals. Wasn't carrying a flag or anything, just fightin' around.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

That's why I raid with my iphone...

Though I haven't used armory since it spooked me when I tried to sign into the game while I was in the mobile armory and it wouldn't let me in. Reminded me of when I had my shit hacked.

I have an iPod and I have it on there but honestly I never use it because, eh, if I've got a wifi signal I've got a browser handy :P

Right now I've just got my character bookmarks on my phone's browser, which actually works pretty well. Still, wish they'd port the thing. I don't really understand why they would do it with one and not the other.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They have NOT tried to make healing/tanking more appealing.

They made it less appealing, tanking and healing are super stressful now, with dps quicker than ever to lay blame.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    They have NOT tried to make healing/tanking more appealing.

They made it less appealing, tanking and healing are super stressful now, with dps quicker than ever to lay blame.

I have not ever seen a dps go after a tank, does this happen in tells? I mean honestly I've seen dps blamed for encounters even when a tank screws up. Like in HoO and the tank not moving the voidies out of the void zones that heal them. "Come on dps hit them harder."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also my favorite cheevo is in Uldum, the catch 22 joke, which I thought was a strange reference for this game.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah tanks don't get blamed much for some reason. Healers and DPS all the time though, usually *by* tanks :P

I do often make fun of terrible tanks in guild chat though :)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have no patience for people who bitch about my healing. You can whine a little, content is kind of hard now, but the instant I get annoyed with your whore mouth, everyone else in the party gets a pop-up window which reads:
    Vote kick for <Douche> initiated.
    Kick Reason: Whiny bitch.

It has passed every time I did it.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eh I don't know. I haven't hit the true cata dungeons yet on my healer (BRC and Throne are still really easy) but I remember once I hit the next tier of dungeons on my rogue that groups would fall apart a lot more and fail. Healing the intro dungeons was easy though and hopefully replacing the druids wrath gear will help as I level him.

As far as calling out tanks, I've seen and done it a lot where appropriate. A fun function of instant tank queues is tank gets pissy, drops and hey we have a new tank. Only one time did that fail and it was because of about a dozen "someone has declined the dungeon invite" because of the in progressness of it

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Uldum has my two favorite dailies now that I think about it, wacking midgets and blowing up nazis.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.