As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Did anybody beta test this [Chat ant Generul Discushion]?

• MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Australians don't really have uncapped plans.

Some ISPs are starting to offer them now, mainly tpg, which owns most of the links out of the country.

MrIamMe on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    The problem is that, in many areas, some ISPs are the only game in town.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • WizballWizball Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    Because it is. It's supposed to pop up a "finished" or "complete" message, but never does. I can't help but think something's fucked up with it.

To echo Zeon, if you want to get rid of it, leave the launcher on for a while. It is doing maintenance on your install. It is moving files into MPQ archives and converting sound files, among other things.

And speaking of just using the key from the physical box - I did just that. Someone posted about the trick where you changed "type of install" in you config files to 'CT'. Worked perfectly. It downloaded all of Cata ahead of the rush, and on release day I only needed to activate the account with the DVD key on battle.net.

Wizball on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wizball wrote: »
    Because it is. It's supposed to pop up a "finished" or "complete" message, but never does. I can't help but think something's fucked up with it.

To echo Zeon, if you want to get rid of it, leave the launcher on for a while. It is doing maintenance on your install. It is moving files into MPQ archives and converting sound files, among other things.

I've left the thing sitting there doing it for upwards of ten hours a couple days ago. It never finishes.

Edit: Apparently my bitching has paid off, because now the launcher says it's up to date. Madness.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Do as I do, don't launch the game via launcher. Open wow.exe and bam!

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    LFD? More like LFDeadmines

Panda4You on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Fairchild wrote: »
    We are not far away from DVD's providing only a unique installation key, with all the rest being download. They might as well sell us a box with a slip of paper inside.

Heck, that was Cataclysm for me. I was all patched up and ready to go, I just needed the code from the Cata box.

Echo on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »
    Tonight I found out that the Baradin Foxes on the northern Tol Barad island have a 1% chance to drop a fox companion pet (that basically has all the same idles as the hunter pet, except it's dance is a random idle animation since you can't click Play Time or whatever for a companion pet).

I decided I should go ahead and farm this now before it becomes more widely known and harder to farm. Fortunately, I got it after half an hour. Unfortunately, it's BoP so I can't make any money off of it, but it's neat to have.
    I've been farming that since I hit 85 and still no go. It makes me sad.

Bummer. If it's any consolation, I only have good luck with getting pets. I have terrible luck with getting anything else to ever drop. I have over 100 mounts and I think only one of them is a rare drop.

In other news, the silly geese on my faction somehow managed to lose control of Tol Barad last night, so I think now is a good time for Blizzard to go ahead and balance it to make it fair. Unless we miraculously get it back really soon, in which case they can hold off on fixing it for a while longer. :P

Lars on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The quests at the red dragon area in Twilight Headlands suck, I can't loot these guys and they don't trigger victory rush? Great!

Arrath on
    edited December 2010
    Heh, the golden orb achievement in heroic VP.

Rocket jump. Grab orb.

Goblins, fuck yeah.

Echo on
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Archaeology to 300, taking hella long but have completed the Fossilized Hatchling and the Clockwork Gnome pets and am currently working on the Raptor Mount.

Would be nice if I actually cared about cosmetic stuff, all I want are the sweet trinket, ring and staves.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Zeon wrote: »
    As for download caps, vote with your dollars. My old ISP had download caps, and when you surpassed it (75 gigs), you had to pay 5 bucks a gig up to 25 bucks. Then they tried to raise the paycap to 50 bucks and if you went too far over, a service ban, so i would have been paying 110 bucks a month for capped 8/600 cable with an approximate 100 gig a month hard cap. So i switched to uncapped DSL even though it was slower (5/800) and then switched their cable offering when it became available which is fucking great (15/1 uncapped). I used 2 terabytes in download/upload last month. No one cares. Infact, back in the old days i remember they used to have a "top users" list on the website, with the names of the dudes who downloaded the most each month, because theyre proud to be one of the only ISP's offering service in the city with no caps and no throttling, which makes me proud to give them my money each month. Even if it is slightly more expensive than any of the major ISP's.

Uncapped plans don't exist anymore in alot of places. And where they do, they are the really expensive premium ones.

Any service that relies on lots of downloading is gonna run headlong into this problem.

shryke on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So a bunch of friends of mine are planning on transferring to Horde cause Alliance suck and I dont have the money to pay for such a thing blah blah blah, so I'm going to level up an undead Male rogue since that'd be cool.

What zones should I do while I level? I've never leveled a horde so I have no idea what zones are cool and which ones aren't right now.

Oghulk on
    edited December 2010
    Rocket Jump is da best.

Me and a frost mage took each other down to 5%, then he snares me and blinks away.

I rocket jump into his face and give him a cold blood envenom for 27k.

Echo on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man the goblin starting zone, and goblins in general, make me SUPER happy, but also make me very sad.

Like...goblins are hands down the best race in the game right now. From racials, to personality, to appearance, they win all the stars. Not only that, but I have been waiting to be one since release.

But...now everything else just looks shitty in comparison. And I mean that metaphorically and also LITERALLY. The goblins are SO well done, that everything else just look like crap in comparison.

Arch on
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Undead zones are crazy good if you like being evil, but it's true that the rest of the races don't have half as much character as the gobbos. By appealing to the funny side of WoW, they get to sidestep all the silly heavy stuff that doesn't really fit with a world that is 98% pop-culture references and homages.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    also I am not looking forward to going through the hours long starting zone with the two other goblins I wanna play

Arch on
    edited December 2010
    Man. Tol Barad needs some attention. It's so skewed towards the defenders it's not even funny. They can just zerg one area at a time and take it back, while the attackers need to split their forces to keep all three under control.

Echo on
  • NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oghulk wrote:
    What zones should I do while I level? I've never leveled a horde so I have no idea what zones are cool and which ones aren't right now.

The best zones I did 1-60 post-Shattering were Stonetalon, Thousand Needles, and Badlands.

I've heard particularly good things about Silverpine, WPL, EPL, Hillsbrad, Azshara.

Northern Barrens is kinda the classic horde zone you should do once, although it got a fairly underwhelming revamp.

Most other zones are pretty solid after the revamp. Un'goro robbed me the wrong way (lots of kill 12-20 quests, lots of running, lots of overlevel alliance ganking), Arathi is supposedly basically unchanged (?). Desolace for all the revamps still saw me leaving early, Silithus is supposedly still unchanged.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
    edited December 2010
    Arathi was touched up in very minor ways, it still sucks like it always has.

Silithus wasn't changed at all.

Thousand Needles is great.

Arrath on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    Zeon wrote: »
    As for download caps, vote with your dollars. My old ISP had download caps, and when you surpassed it (75 gigs), you had to pay 5 bucks a gig up to 25 bucks. Then they tried to raise the paycap to 50 bucks and if you went too far over, a service ban, so i would have been paying 110 bucks a month for capped 8/600 cable with an approximate 100 gig a month hard cap. So i switched to uncapped DSL even though it was slower (5/800) and then switched their cable offering when it became available which is fucking great (15/1 uncapped). I used 2 terabytes in download/upload last month. No one cares. Infact, back in the old days i remember they used to have a "top users" list on the website, with the names of the dudes who downloaded the most each month, because theyre proud to be one of the only ISP's offering service in the city with no caps and no throttling, which makes me proud to give them my money each month. Even if it is slightly more expensive than any of the major ISP's.

Uncapped plans don't exist anymore in alot of places. And where they do, they are the really expensive premium ones.

Any service that relies on lots of downloading is gonna run headlong into this problem.

Id like you to define "a lot of places".

You live in toronto. So do i. There is uncapped service by a few companies. Both cable and DSL (though DSL is going to be capped soon due to a stupid CRTC decision, which is most likely going to get overturned at some point). The thing is, a lot of people would rather bitch about the service they are getting than actually vote with their dollar and move to a company that provides better service, or dont bother to do the research to find out that there are other companies providing better service. Or, the second problem is, people dont consider DSL a real choice. Why? No idea. Maybe the stigma of using phone lines, equating it to be slow or something. Well, its a lot better taking all month to transfer 700 gigs of data than being hard capped at 100 gigs after a few days, ill tell you that...

I also think in the long run, bandwidth caps are going to be a short lived experiment. Either companies will realise people dont like them when they start hemmoraging customers to the competition, or someone from the government will finally realise that bandwidth literally costs hundreths of a cent per gigabyte on the scales that these companies are complaining about, so the complaints from these companies are completely illogical, and decide to step in and do something about it, whether splitting up the monopolies where people have no real choice or forcing companies to open up their subsidized lines to competition (which is what theyve done here in canada, but failed miserably at it by letting the incumbents force rules onto their wholesale customers, which really defeats the point).

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arrath wrote: »
    Arathi was touched up in very minor ways, it still sucks like it always has.

Silithus wasn't changed at all.

Thousand Needles is great.

Silithus was changed enough for me to somehow have 18/19 quests even though I've done every single quest up to and including every single rep/token/head turnin from CC/Brood/AQ, including both osiriss's head and Cthuns eye, and there is no way for me to get another quest. Awesome that they reset quests in every single other zone except Silithus but apparently didn't put in any more to do!

So that's something. :x

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited December 2010
    Heh, some zones are the same. Hellfire, for instance. With the removal of a few quests such as the SH key it is currently impossible to get the quest achievement.

Arrath on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oghulk wrote: »
    So a bunch of friends of mine are planning on transferring to Horde cause Alliance suck and I dont have the money to pay for such a thing blah blah blah, so I'm going to level up an undead Male rogue since that'd be cool.

Remind me to laugh at your friends in a few months when they realize that the Horde isn't any better than the Alliance.

Mgcw on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gotta love that "grass is greener" on the other side syndrome.

Inquisitor on
    edited December 2010
    The main reason they want to is cause our server is extremely horde populated, something like 2/3-1.

It really is that rediculous.

Oghulk on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    I think Worgen are well-done, except that the females just flopped. It feels like the artists ran out of time.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well to be fair, whether or not horde is better than alliance is entirely dependent on your server, and to a somewhat lesser degree, your battlegroup.

The general idea that horde is better, or more mature, is typically wrong. People (including myself) fall into that trap of thinking because when they transfer factions, or start on a new server, its just a clean slate, you don't know who to hate and be annoyed by yet. After awhile you begin to realize that from a player attitude perspective, it's quite simply the same thing.

However, depending on your server, it is quite possible that it is actually literally true that one faction is better than the other. There's a lot of factors including population, guild accessibility, pvp win/loss etc.

Also from a pure aesthetics perspective, it can change how you feel about what you're playing quite a bit. Even though it's just a coat of paint, and some better quests, I typically enjoy horde more than alliance.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In my experience, Alliance seems to have more idiots, and Horde has more dbags. But being in a good guild trumps anything else.

tehmarken on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    2:1 or 3:1 isn't ridiculous at all, if your friends are bailing because of that tiny of an imbalance they're geese. Talk to the 7:1 or 10:1 servers and get back to me about what true imbalance is.

Opty on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Burning Blade is 7:1 in favor of Horde and it was a real pain to level in Cata because of it. When there's 10-15 horde in an area and only 2 alliance, the Horde have carte blanche to wreck your shit with no threat of repercussion. I'm not complaining because I chose a PVP server, but it's one of the consequences of an imbalanced pop server.

JustinSane07 on
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    Talk to the 7:1 or 10:1 servers.

Target rich environment is what it was. It's a shame I had to leave the server because of the latest expansion, five hour long ques are silly business.

Magic Radio on
    edited December 2010
    I say to 2/3:1 cause I figure thats large (never gone to other servers), but it would be about 10:1 in reality.

It's basically this: if I'm out in the world all I see is horde. I rarely ever see alliance.

Oghulk on
    edited December 2010
    I've always wanted to really play Horde, but since I've already leveled my favorite classes Alliance-side (multiple times for a couple of them), it's just kind of hard to do.

I think the only classes I've really wanted to try that I haven't yet are Hunters and Druids. There are already far too many Hunters, and I hear there is an absolute glut of Troll Druids.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What is with the dearth of on use trinkets? I swear every trinket I see either provides a passive effect or a random proc. My kingdom for an on use trinket!

Inquisitor on
  • WizballWizball Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    and I hear there is an absolute glut of Troll Druids.

Yes. And they die like FLIES on the daggers of my Worgen rogue.

I think low level rouges are perhaps the most OP in all of wow-dom. It's really ridiculous. I have heirloom weapons, enchanted with some agility and my Ambush crits can take the ENTIRE hp bar of a same-level player. It's great fun, but perhaps not for the other players. Shadowstep-Ambush-restealth.

Wizball on
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I hear there is an absolute glut of Troll Druids.

I just checked WoW Census, and Trolls have moved up to 6% of the total population of all US realms. Up from their previous 2%.

Magic Radio on
    edited December 2010
    Also has anyone noticed that you can hitch a ride on anybody's mount now? Not just the motorcycle?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also has anyone noticed that you can hitch a ride on anybody's mount now? Not just the motorcycle?

No?

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Word is that if someone has a passenger mount then all their mounts can take passengers.

Including being able to, uh, 'mount' worgen in running wild.

Arrath on
This discussion has been closed.