As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Did anybody beta test this [Chat ant Generul Discushion]?

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There needs to be some kind of equivalent to Justice Points that you get for downing Normal bosses. It's frustrating to get nothing out of several runs in a row with nothing to show for it except for some rep. I'm not playing my level 85 much because every time I'm on no one else wants to do normals and I'm way under the Heroic requirement due to not getting drops. Not to mention the enormous wait times for DPS.

Also, HoO needs to be less long. Fuck that place.

You can get into heroics pretty much exclusively with rep and quest rewards, without getting any drops at all.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So on my lowbie prot paladin, I have devotion aura and ret aura up at the same time. Is that a bug, or am I missing a talent doing something?

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tried a random heroic yesterday, as the only healers in my guild were either not online yet or already in a heroic, plus I wanted to see if they were that bad.

Got into an in progress Deadmines, just after Foe Reaver. Apparently they had kicked their previous tank for being a d-bag, I saw his sprawled out corpse in the hallway just in front of where I zoned in. The healer wasn't as strong as I'm used to, so I had to be careful with pulls, and make sure the CC was marked. One shotted Ripsnarl, one shotted Cookie, and wiped once during the nightmare. Once shotted Vanessa as well. When swinging from the ropes the group, three of which had never been there before, proclaimed it the best dungeon ever.

It wasn't a clean roflstomp, and there were deaths, but I made jokes in group to keep everyones spirits up, and in the end we made it through without too much difficulty. Maybe I just got a good group, but it was a heroic, it was a random pug, and it was doable. So still firmly in the 'Heroics-are-fine' camp.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    There needs to be some kind of equivalent to Justice Points that you get for downing Normal bosses. It's frustrating to get nothing out of several runs in a row with nothing to show for it except for some rep. I'm not playing my level 85 much because every time I'm on no one else wants to do normals and I'm way under the Heroic requirement due to not getting drops. Not to mention the enormous wait times for DPS.

You can get into heroics pretty much exclusively with rep and quest rewards, without getting any drops at all.

You can get in there easily but will you be useful? Case in point (and just as I figured in the Paladin thread), I grouped up with a DK head to toe in Pyrium Plate (the dps one) and he never broke 5k dps. You know how long it took to down the Dragon Boss in HVP? 10 mins. If I wasn't a Paladin helping out on healing as I tanked we would've wiped several times.

I just wish Blizz made it more clear to people you have to be this tall to enter this place. Besides wiping several times.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I absolutely love deadmines. My favorite lowbie instance is now my favorite heroic instance. That vancleef fight is amazing.

Someone was like "SPINNING FIREBALLS?! holy shit holy shit I know this, where have I done this before?"

I said, "Mario?"

"Oh shit yeah, we got this guys"

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I've done pretty much all of every zone except Hyjal, so I should have as good of quest rewards as I'm going to get in that regard.

Will the three 346 items that actually help me at Revered going to get me there? Because exalted is going to take a bit longer.

Edit: I'm 9 ilevels behind the requirement atm, mostly greens.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

You can get in there easily but will you be useful? Case in point (and just as I figured in the Paladin thread), I grouped up with a DK head to toe in Pyrium Plate (the dps one) and he never broke 5k dps. You know how long it took to down the Dragon Boss in HVP? 10 mins. If I wasn't a Paladin helping out on healing as I tanked we would've wiped several times.

I just wish Blizz made it more clear to people you have to be this tall to enter this place. Besides wiping several times.

that's a really poor argument.
    PvP gear is pvp gear, all that resilience isn't doing him any good.
    Not only that but chances are his spec is/was suited to pvp needs.
    You can get several ilvl 333 quest and reputation items that are itemised for the task at handand do just fine in heroics.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    edited December 2010
    I'm trying to do the second part of the Day Deathwing came, but these stupid clouds don't exist. I'm starting to get irritated.

Edit: Nevermind, they just weren't where the quest objective makes you think they are.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So my paladin is 83 and I'm just finishing up Hyjal, which has been a lot of fun. Where is a better place to level next?

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So my paladin is 83 and I'm just finishing up Hyjal, which has been a lot of fun. Where is a better place to level next?

Unless you're a scribe, I'd say Deepholm just to start working towards your shoulder enchants. Uldum is pretty awesome though.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Unless you're a scribe, I'd say Deepholm just to start working towards your shoulder enchants. Uldum is pretty awesome though.

I second this: I would just do the zones in order. None of the mobs/quests are really going to be green to you anyways, and it will unlock all of the quartermasters/get your reps up to snuff. I did all of the questlines in hyjal, then all of the quests in deepholm. Did each dungeon once for the quests (and to learn some of the base mechanics of the bosses).

I'm doing it again on my priest and I tried to do Vashj'ir and spent about 45 minutes in the zone before saying fuck it and going straight to Mt. Hyjal. While Vashj'ir may be a unique snowflake, It just felt like bullshit to me.

belligerent on
  • CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is it just me or does vashjir seem to get a lot of hate?

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't get the Vash'jir hate. Best zone in awhile, IMO.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Vashj'ir is a love it or hate it zone. Personally I love it, while others hate it. Your results may vary.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Vashj'ir is a love it or hate it zone. Personally I love it, while others hate it. Your results may vary.

I loved it for the first area of quests. Then you move to the Shimmering depths or whatever, and all the quests are more or less the same of the last area. After finishing that area I was worn out on the underwater adventure. It sort of dragged on for me.

I enjoyed Deepholm and wasn't quite ready to leave untill I was nearing the Achievement for the place. Twilight Highlands started out fun with the taking of the city and fighting with alliance. Then came Bloodgulch vs Thundermar, and I didn't like the thundermar quests. But then I got to team up with Alexstraza and The Red Dragonflight. After that I finished the entire Zone and having a blast. I'm doing Uldum now and so far it's turning out it may be my favorite.

I don't want to do Mount Hyjal because there is a Phased area that spawns a lot of elementals with only 30k health I use to get Elemental Goo for a Daily Jewel Crafting quest. If I do Mount Hyjal quests, then that area disappears and it will take longer to do that quest. Which sucks because they have the Reputation Tank Cloak.

Buddies on
  • ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    grouped for first time in cata on my hunter, freshly 85 [just turned in a quest that made me hit it] -- get someone asking for one more dps for the TH ring so I go for it... 8-10k dps per round, last round got bugged [he was at 90% full health and we got credit for the win??]. Everyone else was level 84 but they were all under 6k dps... one was at 3k.

My rotation isn't that great yet as survival but it is getting better. I don't recall having ever spec'd survival but I have been trying it out over the last two levels and never had agro issues with the MD glyph.

ToddJewell on
    edited December 2010
    Maybe I just like the way quests already are, and the change made me grumpy pants. I think Vashj'ir also had the "this feels too different" vibe when it comes to movement, too. I hate it when my character looks like it's going slower than normal. Just feels frustrating. Yes, I got the seahorse. Maybe I didn't like having to move my camera so much, or that enemies were above and below me.

I'm not saying it wasn't well done, but give me Uldum and, to a lesser extent, deepholm and I'm happy.

belligerent on
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have encountered some wierd bugs while leveling my a new rogue. In the redridge mountains, there a few quests that if I try and activate a certain part of it, it disconnects me from the server. I tried the one quest where you have to rescue some of the members of bravo company and without fail I was disconnected from the server whenever I tried to free one of the members of the group. So I can't advance the quest. Its a very wierd bug. It also happened in westfall with one of the side quests.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mnemon-CorbantisMnemon-Corbantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well to be fair, whether or not horde is better than alliance is entirely dependent on your server, and to a somewhat lesser degree, your battlegroup.

The general idea that horde is better, or more mature, is typically wrong. People (including myself) fall into that trap of thinking because when they transfer factions, or start on a new server, its just a clean slate, you don't know who to hate and be annoyed by yet. After awhile you begin to realize that from a player attitude perspective, it's quite simply the same thing.

However, depending on your server, it is quite possible that it is actually literally true that one faction is better than the other. There's a lot of factors including population, guild accessibility, pvp win/loss etc.

Also from a pure aesthetics perspective, it can change how you feel about what you're playing quite a bit. Even though it's just a coat of paint, and some better quests, I typically enjoy horde more than alliance.

I'd argue in Vanilla WoW that Horde players were typically better than Alliance players, especially in PvP. In the majority of cases Horde were the underpopulated faction and attracted the "I like to have the deck stacked against me" types. Again not in all cases, and some servers had their own thing going on. But in general I'd agree that was the case.

The thing that changed this was Blood Elves.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    RE: Vashj'ir: I've done enough of the quests there to get the seahorse, and up to then it was alright. I also have 8 lv80s to play, so I'm sure I'll get it done eventually.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
    edited December 2010
    Speaking as someone who has played since vanilla, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you there. I started horde side, and while almost invariably one horde guild on my server helped us win most of the battlegrounds back then (back before battlegroups, mind you), the alliance were hands down better at PVE. There were 5 alliance guilds in Naxx when it came out and 1 Horde guild. Even my old guild, which was a hardcore 4 nights a week raiding guild with 60+ raiders barely finished naxx before BC came out. Atiesh, thunderfury? All of those were alliance side first.

So basically what I'm saying is that it's all server dependent.

belligerent on
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm just worried I'll never see another zone after doing Vashj'ir. I'm almost 83 already and there is no end in sight! Ok, I think I'm close to the end, but seriously.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I loved Vashj'ir. Of course, I haven't done Hyjal at all, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Still, was pretty fun, and I got a kick out of the Naga stuff.

Rizzi on
  • CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    you mean you disagree with him based on the anecdotal evidence of your own experience? got it.

(note: I don't think we can ever truly know if horde was better at pvp than alliance)

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • SammichSammich Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Buddies wrote: »

I loved it for the first area of quests. Then you move to the Shimmering depths or whatever, and all the quests are more or less the same of the last area. After finishing that area I was worn out on the underwater adventure. It sort of dragged on for me.

I enjoyed Deepholm and wasn't quite ready to leave untill I was nearing the Achievement for the place. Twilight Highlands started out fun with the taking of the city and fighting with alliance. Then came Bloodgulch vs Thundermar, and I didn't like the thundermar quests. But then I got to team up with Alexstraza and The Red Dragonflight. After that I finished the entire Zone and having a blast. I'm doing Uldum now and so far it's turning out it may be my favorite.

I don't want to do Mount Hyjal because there is a Phased area that spawns a lot of elementals with only 30k health I use to get Elemental Goo for a Daily Jewel Crafting quest. If I do Mount Hyjal quests, then that area disappears and it will take longer to do that quest. Which sucks because they have the Reputation Tank Cloak.

You can just kill the earth elements right outside the portal that takes you to hyjal, the first quests in the zone. They never phase out. Thats what ive been killing for the elemental goo, and ive gotten that quest like 5 days in a row now.

2 of my toons have done the Hyjal - Deepholm beginners. One went to Twilight Highlands, and then the other went to uldum. Uldum is def the best zone. I havent touched Vasj yet, but i prob will on my DK, and completely avoid Deepholm cuz shes an inscriptionist. I dont want to do it on my rogue(deepholm) and im going to avoid it as much as i can i think hoping that they eventually make the shoulder enchants BOA again, along with the chaos orbs.

Sammich on
  • MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What a difference a week makes. This time last week I would have sworn that heroics were all but impossible and that the direction of end game content has taken a turn for the worse. I also was convinced that healing was utterly broken with no redeeming qualities anymore. A week later I can start to see the brilliance of the design. Wrath really dummied it all down for us and I think the majority of people forgot what it's like to be appropriately geared for content. I am really enjoying the new end game and I can't wait to start raiding again after the first of the year.

TLDR; shit is good.

Mutilate on
    edited December 2010
    CasedOut wrote: »
    you mean you disagree with him based on the anecdotal evidence of your own experience? got it.

(note: I don't think we can ever truly know if horde was better at pvp than alliance)

Because the first poster's evidence was...less anecdotal? I'm not really sure what you're getting at here.

Obviously it varied by server. To claim that "skilled" players naturally gravitated towards one faction or the other is stupid.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Vashj was the first zone I did. I wanted to like it, I really did but it just felt way too long.

My favorite thing about this expansion is that the storyline for all the zones feel epic in a way I haven't seen in WoW before.

Tomanta on
  • MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sammich wrote: »
    Buddies wrote: »

You can just kill the earth elements right outside the portal that takes you to hyjal, the first quests in the zone. They never phase out. Thats what ive been killing for the elemental goo, and ive gotten that quest like 5 days in a row now.

2 of my toons have done the Hyjal - Deepholm beginners. One went to Twilight Highlands, and then the other went to uldum. Uldum is def the best zone. I havent touched Vasj yet, but i prob will on my DK, and completely avoid Deepholm cuz shes an inscriptionist. I dont want to do it on my rogue(deepholm) and im going to avoid it as much as i can i think hoping that they eventually make the shoulder enchants BOA again, along with the chaos orbs.

I started in Vashj and I ended up liking it. I played through it when it was broken and it ended up looking like you needed another 15-20 quests even though you were all done. From there I went to Uldum and did the whole zone. FANTASTIC! LOVED Uldum so much. After that I was like 2 bars from 85 so I did the Twilight Highlands pre quests and was only like 2 quests into the zone when I dinged. I am now going back and finishing the other zones for rep. One thing I wish I had done was to move to zones when I started to outlevel the old ones. Being a completionist is great but there is a big difference in hourly xp between say Hyjal and Uldum.

Mutilate on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Vashj'ir for me definitely seemed to drag out a bit long but for the most part I enjoyed the change of scenery and that deep sea feel as well as the lore stuff and some of the quests and the free sea horse. A lot of it is great for farming mats too. I can see how others might not like it though.

Deepholm so far seems meh and now that my priest is 83 I've been going to Uldum, which is so far hands down the best area yet, probably of all. Haven't been to TH or Hyjal yet save in passing. I will say of Deepholm that it too has an excellent aesthetic feel to it and it also has a lot of great locales to farm mats.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • SammichSammich Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think the new zones are great in general, just that they went on for tooo long. In the big picture with the stories of each zone its perfect, but doing it the second or third time, it just seems to be dragging on. Im going back and will complete every zone, but i think uldum is the best anyway.

If there was some sort of detection mechanism where depending on your level it would phase it the story line it would be cool. Like completing Vashj till level 82 and then hitting Hyjal where you are taking over halfway through the its story line. Would screw up zone achivements though

Sammich on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think my favorites are Vashj'ir and Deepholm. Deepholm especially is just gorgeous, and I liked its tight focus and helping the Earthen Ring shamans.

Uldum I didn't like. Part of it was getting burned out on questing and trying to hit 85. But part of it was a handful of tedious or buggy quests, and the too-frequent buggy cutscenes.

captaink on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    All in all I liked just about all of the new zones.

Vashj'ir though, feels overly long. There's too much "Oh hey, a new cave where they want you to go out and get them some seafood."

Hyjal had just enough variation in the quests where I didn't feel like I was dragging.

Nobody on
  • MillbuddahMillbuddah Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nobody wrote: »
    All in all I liked just about all of the new zones.

Vashj'ir though, feels overly long. There's too much "Oh hey, a new cave where they want you to go out and get them some seafood."

Hyjal had just enough variation in the quests where I didn't feel like I was dragging.

That and the last series of quests in Vashj'ir in that last cave were just annoying. Hey, swim outta this giant cave, go waaaaay over the mountain/reef to get to the other side and do all these quests and bring your ass back. Oh, do that a few times for us and finally we'll put the quest npcs somewhere close for you to turn in.

Millbuddah on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, last week, one of the hotfixes was this:
    * The Looking For Dungeon random bracket for Throne of the Tides and Blackrock Caverns has been changed from level 80-81 to 80-82, and the specific bracket has been changed from level 80-83 to 80-85.

Which I thought meant that you could specifically queue up for Throne or BRC at, say 84, but wouldn't get them as a random?

Last night I looked at what my 84 Druid had available for specific Catacylsm dungeons: Stonecore, Lost City, Vortex Pinnacle, Grim Batol, Halls of O.

Huh? Kinda annoying if I can't get into regular BRC anymore...I would like to see what its like before tackling the heroic version.

Doctor Detroit on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I can't run the new BG's, the envoys wont talk to me and they're not on my BG list.

Do I need to do anything to unlock them on a level 83 character?

815165 on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have no idea what I'm doing in this game

Is there a noob thread about?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    So I can't run the new BG's, the envoys wont talk to me and they're not on my BG list.

Level to 85?

Doctor Detroit on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    there is a 10 day trial for cata

I am downloading it to sit in town on my no longer obtainable raptor while playing something else

I am a bad person

Jars on
  • Mnemon-CorbantisMnemon-Corbantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    815165 wrote: »

New battlegrounds are only for lvl 85s.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
This discussion has been closed.