As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Space Alert owns. Like, a lot.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, now that I've got my hands on LBP2, what's the first boardgame I should try to re-create?

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The rules for the battletech clix line were very good.

Too bad they set it in the "dark age" part of the timeline.

A battletech clix revivial in 3029, 3050 or the FedCom Civil War would be great.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    I have a shoebox of the first Clix stuff they released.

It looks like utter shit. It was pretty fun though. I had a death squad of mage-type dudes.

I played Mage Knight pretty heavily for a while. It was a solid game with good mechanics, though it suffered from collectible-game-balance-syndrome. It had a few major problems; one of which was this.

admanb on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, now that I've got my hands on LBP2, what's the first boardgame I should try to re-create?

Monopoly!
    Re-create a board game in LBP2? What?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ryadic wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »

Monopoly!
    Re-create a board game in LBP2? What?

Little Big Planet 2 has a ton of creature features. Don't see why you couldn't do a boardgame in it.

Little Arkham Big Horror!

War of the Little Big Ring!

Little Big Battle Line!

Little Big Yomi!

Just adding Little Big to things makes them better! :P

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    XiVXiV Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just the title "Little Big Small Planet World" makes me laugh. Do that one.

XiV on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Interesting.

Little Big Planet Dune.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheHopelessGamerTheHopelessGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone play Battlestations before? My group plays about evenly between RPG's and board games, so I'm not worried about the players-GM aspect of it. I guess I'm wondering more about the specifics: how complex are the rules? How long does a game session last? Is campaign play possible/fun? I'm going to read some reviews all over the place, but I'm interested in your guys' opinions if it's worth ploppin' 32 bucks down for the first edition of the game.

TheHopelessGamer on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    XiV wrote: »
    Just the title "Little Big Small Planet World" makes me laugh. Do that one.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A little game called Dominion, maybe you've heard of it.

Nope.

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So the new Castle Ravenloft adventures and the Wrath of Ashardalon preview are up.

New Ravenloft Adventures: http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/duad/20110118

My quick take:
    Curses!: This is intersting, and pretty much does an idea I had, but ultimately better. Basically one hero is a werewolf and needs to be cured, and during hte quest will turn into a werewolf is brought below 1 hit point (and he loses a hit point every time a skull tile is drawn). Also, if he bites another player and that player is dropped below half hit points by the bite, they turn into werewolves to. (Being a werewolf only comes into affect during the villian phase)

This one looks HARD because not only do you need to kill the werewolf to win, you can actually trigger the werewolf BEFORE you find the silver dagger. Additionally, the adventure can last up to 15 tiles! And you lose if all characters are infected with lycanthropy. Crazy, but looks interesting.

A Hero Lost: One player is an infected hero and starts by himself at level 2 with an extra daily and utility power. But instead of drawing encounter cards, you have to flip over a power (even at-will powers) and when you run out you take your healing surge in damage.

Meanwhile, the heroes start at the start tile with a bottle of holy water, and they have to find the hero and get him and the water to the dark fountain tile. There are two stacks of tiles in the game, normal dungeon tiles which lead you to the fountain and a "path to the hero" pile which leads to the hero. You choose which one you take from. Looks like it could be fun.

The Skull of Necromancy: This one is interesting in that there are a bunch of items in play. There are four items (Icon of Ravenloft, Holy Water, Torch, and Wooden Stake) you randomly pick from when you reveal a black tile. When you pick them up, you get the adventure treasure card for them.

Also, when you die you don't just spend a healing surge, you become a wraith and continue to activate monsters and what not. The players have to kill you and someone has to start their turn next to the alter in the chapel to spend the surge. This one is a bit simpler than the others, but looks pretty neat.

Ashardalon preview: http://wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20110119
    Classes are confirmed as: Dragonborn Wizard, Human Cleric, Elf Paladin, Half-Orc Rogue, and Dwarf Fighter

They show of a brand new optional rule: Chambers!

Basically, from what I can gather, Chambers are like the end tile of a campaign, but made more flexible. Instead of having them hard coded into the adventure, they're now on Chamber cards. So you can have an adventure that calls for a specific card, or have an adventure that has you select a random one. Each card has it's own situation and resolution. (Of the two examples, one has you fighting the Otyugh and a bunch of other monsters, and the other has you collecting 2000 gold worth of treasure tokens.

When you get the Chamber entrance, you place it on the board, and then use a set stack of chamber tiles (either dire or horrid) to build the chamber. There's even a "large chamber" tile that can make the chamber even big by making you draw more chamber tiles. The chamber tiles look pretty cool (they're a burned color and have skeletons everywhere) and the new start tile is horizontal rather than vertical. (Tile pictures are in the adventure example).

I'm a bit bummed the the tiles don't look that terribly different from Ravenloft, and also bummed that there's only one really new class. Still, I'm jazzed up for this release. I can't wait to see the campaign rules.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Does anyone know the specific dimensions of the Arkham Horror (base) board? I am incredibly fascinated with the game, but I want to make sure I plan for the space required. I fear the board will not even fit our 4 person dining room table, but I just want to make sure and plan accordingly. (And yes, I know there is more than just the board to be concerned about.)

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I've seen that thread in various searches, but I was looking for the specific board dimensions. I searched again and found them this time.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/504934/how-much-space-does-this-game-take-up
    Base game board: 22" x 33"
    Expansion boards: 22" x 11"

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arkham, fully laid out, requires approx. 8' of pure table, plus another foot to two feet on one side for decks and the GOO. The character sheets will take up the most room, width-wise.

The core game is approx. the size of Chaos in the Old World, or 1 1/2-2 boards of Catan.. somewhere around there.

It really isn't that bad as long as you aren't doing the uber-epic everything in game. I don't know if I took any screenshots of my setup, but it's pretty nice.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Our first game of Twilight Imperium took up more space than AH. I love games that require that much stuff!
    P1160009.jpg

This was right before the universe fell into a FFA war.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
      edited January 2011
      Man, that's a sweet dice-rolling octagon you got there.

jackisreal on
    • Options
      edited January 2011
      $7 + shipping on the ebay. I like it. We used to just set up a semi circle of our empty beer bottles and throw dice into it.

TimFiji on
      • Options
        edited January 2011
        Wow, 2days and no one has posted?!

I got to play Dixit last night and that was a blast. Really easy to get into and you can really tap into those wells of creativity!

TimFiji on
        • Options
          BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
          edited January 2011
          Well I am still debating about Twlight Imperium but if I got it I would have to look at storage which is a problem with all the games I have right now {I have two rather large piles of them and two more on top of a bookcase}
          I did get a warcraft board game for but I am going to have to find a way to store it as they gave me a bag full of figures and the game itself

I might try to play Castle Ravenloft this weekend

Brainleech on
        • Options
          FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
          edited January 2011
          I'm sure that y'all know about the ARKHAM HORROR Investigator figures now available from Fantasy Flight ?

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=6&esem=2&esum=156

Just received my three favorite investigators, Joe Diamond, Ashcan Pete, and Wilson Richards the Handyman. Or you can buy the entire set for 200 bucks.

COMMAND & COLORS: Napoleonics by GMT appeared last month. The just-completed bowl game season was a good opportunity to sticker all of those blocks, so that will charge onto the table today.

Fairchild on
        • Options
          RericReric Registered User regular
          edited January 2011
          WOOO, so I just finished participating in my first math trade. For those that don't know basically a whole bunch of people post up games they want to trade away, then everyone makes want lists on everything everyone else posted. It all gets shoved in to a program and the computer tries to create the most connections so Person A gets something from b who gets something from c who gets something from A. Put up three games, only one ended up getting snagged but it was my duplicate copy of Tikal, getting Leonardo Da Vinci which looks fun as Im a big fan of worker placement.

The real excitement comes from a yankee swap that I did online though. Got to unload Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers and my copy of Zombies!!! (It was early in my board gaming obsession, I didn't know!). Picked up an interesting card game called Bali and a light civ building game called Tempus

Reric on
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
        • Options
          brain operatorbrain operator Registered User regular
          edited January 2011
          Reric wrote: »
          The real excitement comes from a yankee swap that I did online though. Got to unload Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers and my copy of Zombies!!! (It was early in my board gaming obsession, I didn't know!). Picked up an interesting card game called Bali and a light civ building game called Tempus
          Tempus is pretty good for what it is (a civ game meant to run in under two hours is a tough pitch). Besides, It's a Martin Wallace - that's good pedigree. Don't know Bali, but Uwe Rosenberg has made something of a name for himself since. Sounds like a good deal.

brain operator on
        • Options
          FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
          edited January 2011
          Rosenberg designed AGRICOLA, which retroactively made his other games more popular.

Fairchild on
        • Options
          TimmyTimmy Rank: Major Floating in my tin can.Registered User regular
          edited January 2011
          Still loving my recently acquired Dominion: Intrigue! I played the game with the Kingdom card sets out of the rulebook and I liked that better than using the randomizer cards. Is there anywhere that I can find a list of different sets that people enjoy?

And to keep discussion going, the upcoming game, Mansions of Madness, looked very cool to me. I like the idea of a game-master-versus-the-good-guys game that can be completed in a couple of hours and I need more Cthulhu in my life. However, the article Order From Chaos: A look at puzzles in Mansions of Madness has completely turned me off. Has anyone else read this? It seems like it would get old very quickly and slow down the game quite a bit. Maybe it just seems strange to me because I've not seen anything like this in another board game.

Timmy on
        • Options
          edited January 2011
          Sounds like the designer played MASS EFFECT 2 and tried to import that game's hacking/puzzle-solving subgame to MOM.

Fairchild on
        • Options
          AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
          edited January 2011
          Played 3 more games of Race for the Galaxy tonight (w/ the first 2 expansions). The first was a beginner game with goals, the second was "regular" for the 2 expansions, the 3rd had takeovers on.

I got simply obliterated all 3 games. The two new guys won games 2 and 3, usually with 35+ point values. Second game we made a mistake and a guy used his doomed world to get a 5 alien windfall world that chained into 5 VP's, but it didn't impact things in the end. Still, I just could not combo things.. not like my partner in crime, who only lost cuz another person played Switzerland and created an empire on novelty goods.. but man, did he chain military like nobody's business, while I was floundering.

I love the game, but I think I suck at it.

Athenor on
          He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
        • Options
          The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
          edited January 2011
          Timmy wrote: »
          Still loving my recently acquired Dominion: Intrigue! I played the game with the Kingdom card sets out of the rulebook and I liked that better than using the randomizer cards. Is there anywhere that I can find a list of different sets that people enjoy?

And to keep discussion going, the upcoming game, Mansions of Madness, looked very cool to me. I like the idea of a game-master-versus-the-good-guys game that can be completed in a couple of hours and I need more Cthulhu in my life. However, the article Order From Chaos: A look at puzzles in Mansions of Madness has completely turned me off. Has anyone else read this? It seems like it would get old very quickly and slow down the game quite a bit. Maybe it just seems strange to me because I've not seen anything like this in another board game.

The wire puzzle turns me off, but the rune puzzle looks like it could add some interesting theme & immersion to the game.

...Or, maybe the whole puzzle thing will just make a mess like it did in Android.

It's interesting to see this sort of thing being experimented with in board game design, though - clearly importing ideas from video games for breaking-up monotony.

The Ender on
          With Love and Courage
        • Options
          TimmyTimmy Rank: Major Floating in my tin can.Registered User regular
          edited January 2011
          The Ender wrote: »
          Timmy wrote: »

The wire puzzle turns me off, but the rune puzzle looks like it could add some interesting theme & immersion to the game.

...Or, maybe the whole puzzle thing will just make a mess like it did in Android.

It's interesting to see this sort of thing being experimented with in board game design, though - clearly importing ideas from video games for breaking-up monotony.

That seems like a good example of my feelings about this. I understand the desire to appeal to multiple types of gamers but having another game within, what I'm guessing, will already be a slightly complex game might be the wrong way to do it. And I'm concerned about replayability. The picture puzzle might be neat but I doubt you would use it more than once. And I don't want to pay a billion dollars for a box full of one-shot puzzles.

I really could be speculating more than I should but I was just surprised by how quickly I went from drooling anticipation to indifference.

Timmy on
        • Options
          PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
          edited January 2011
          Personally, I don't really have a problem with it. Puzzles like that go with the genre. And I doubt that there'll be more than one or two per session. It really gives a character with a high Int a time to shine, though.

And I'm not really seeing the comparison with Android, since "the puzzle" wasn't really a puzzle, just a different way to score some VP's that changes from game to game.

In another note, needed something else to fill out my CSI order of a L5R Dead of Winter booster box so I could get free shipping, so I ended up picking up one of the Yomi deck sets. If it sucks, I'm going to blame the thread.

PMAvers on
          persona4celestia.jpg
          COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
        • Options
          InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
          edited January 2011
          Just had the silliest game of Dominion ever, everyone else but me rushed pirate ships in a game with no defensive cards.

I ended up winning with a deck that was 7 minions, 1 steward, 1 copper and the rest provinces.

Eeesh.

Inquisitor on
        • Options
          RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
          edited January 2011
          Inquisitor wrote: »
          Just had the silliest game of Dominion ever, everyone else but me rushed pirate ships in a game with no defensive cards.

I ended up winning with a deck that was 7 minions, 1 steward, 1 copper and the rest provinces.

Eeesh.

Why would anyone ever buy anything but minions in a tableu that contains minions. That card is a "buy nothing else until it's gone" in just about every possible situation.

RiemannLives on
          Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
        • Options
          hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
          edited January 2011
          Anyone care to offer an opinion on Dungeon Lords? Is it Dungeon Keeper: The Board Game? Dungeon Keeper: The Too Long Board Game?

hamdingers on
        • Options
          edited January 2011

Eeesh.

Why would anyone ever buy anything but minions in a tableu that contains minions. That card is a "buy nothing else until it's gone" in just about every possible situation.

I guess its just a card thats been undervalued at our table for a while? It is a pretty ridiculous card, thinking about it.

Inquisitor on
        • Options
          admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
          edited January 2011
          hamdingers wrote: »
          Anyone care to offer an opinion on Dungeon Lords? Is it Dungeon Keeper: The Board Game? Dungeon Keeper: The Too Long Board Game?

It's Agricola, but with more variety and randomness.

admanb on
        • Options
          DracilDracil Registered User regular
          edited January 2011
          admanb wrote: »
          hamdingers wrote: »

It's Agricola, but with more variety and randomness.

It is also the closest thing to a Dungeon Keeper board game. And because of the designer, it's also a watch your shit get blown up game.

It's main shortcoming is it's really designed for 4 players. But I'd play it over Agricola any day if I have 4. But then again, I'm only lukewarm on Agricola and I love Vlaada's games.

Dracil on
          3DS: 2105-8644-6304
          Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
          MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
        • Options
          starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
          edited January 2011
          I was interested in Dungeon Lord until Tom Vasel cooled my interest.

starmanbrand on
          camo_sig2.png
        • Options
          edited January 2011
          Yeah, saw that review too and it turned me right off as well.

Inquisitor on
        • Options
          scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
          edited January 2011

Eeesh.

minions are good but you can fuck up a minion deck a couple of ways. masquerade is a brutal one because eventually they have nothing to give you except minions and provinces, but mountebank (or any curse-giver really) or saboteur/swindler are good too.

scrivenerjones on
        • Options
          edited January 2011
          Got to play Alien Frontiers today. It's a pretty light dice rolling game, but there is quite a bit of strategy with your decisions. It reminds me quite a bit of Kingsburg.

Ryadic on
          steam_sig.png
        This discussion has been closed.