As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dungeon Defenders] - Dungeon Defenders II: The Dungeoning coming soon! Free-to-play!

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Well, if anyone is doing the holiday achievement, I'm playing right now. Only level 10 but afaik I'm ranked now, and having fun. tower build for female squire is good times. One map was rough until I unlocked harpoons but now it's all good.

Being only level 10 I probably can't help much for the holiday stage but I'd like to tag along and do what i can

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote:
    I'm playing as a huntress, too, and can't decide on DPS vs. traps. When I played DPS, I felt like I wasn't contributing as much to the team. But when I respecced, there are people with better defenses that tell me to "stop laying down shitty traps." I don't know what to do. :(

The problem with the DPS Huntress is that at the early levels (1-30) you're going to feel like garbage compared to the Squire being a roaming death machine at that level and the Apprentice towers absolutely obliterating everything. Your weapon is pretty much everything and until you get that one first decent weapon you will feel like you aren't contributing. Then you get a great high-damage spread/piercing weapon and you machine gun down enemies.

The problem with the trap Huntress is simply that 1) as someone said, this game has a pretty big drooling retard population and 2) doing well with traps takes a bit of planning, patience, and practice. With Apprentice you pretty much just throw down a tower anywhere and win (until later levels of course) but there's no "I win" method for early game traps. They're super effective but you've got to put some work into it.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    GUYS! Log into a private match on Ranked and open the presents under the tree, got 19million mana.

I had to power through the campaign and the bonus mission before it would give me the money. Then I nearly blew all of that upgrading two weapons. Argh. Give me more money, magical tree.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Well, when I logged in to start the day, I had 2m mana, now that I've logged off, I have 25m mana. Good day.

I respecced my Apprentice to a full tower build, made running the game on Hard trivially easy. (I did a medium run with him, and got to level 31 after dying to the dragon, started on the very first mission on hard, and powered through to kill the dragon and ended up level 57).

So I have my DPS Ranger, and a Tower Apprentice, I need to figure out what I want to do with my Squire. I'm thinking building him DPS with spare points in tower HP for placing blockades.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Asked yesterday; but if anyone is doing a last minute runthrough of the holiday achievement/stage, please invite me. I'd like to get it done both for the achievement, and apparently the ton of mana you can get if you do it and the campaign.

Working on the campaign right now, but yeah, not gonna get high enough to do the holiday map don't think, not alone.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Beat the holiday map with 3 (sort of, third guy D/C right as the boss got in and was only able to watch when he rejoined, not fight).

Overleveled Countess, underleveled Huntress, appropriate level Monk

All DUs to Countess turrets

The boss is such a jerk, thankfully he leashed onto a Slice & Dice I decoyed him with and was able to just keep upgrading that through his damage

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Just started, got to 13 as a Squire. Been having fun so far, and matches I've made have had people joining relatively fast so I'm usually not by myself.

One question though: do Bowling Ball turrets, when improved, keep rolling after they hit somebody or do they always hit the first then disappear/roll away?

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    They should bounce a bit off walls and enemies. Don't try to use them uphill. They are best downhill or at worst on a flat surface.

It seems like there is some base end of momentum that causes them to break but om not sure.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    They can bounce off the first enemy hit and hit another guy if it's close enough to their origin IME. If it's near the end I think they'll just shatter.

I may, however, have been hallucinating.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote:
    They can bounce off the first enemy hit and hit another guy if it's close enough to their origin IME. If it's near the end I think they'll just shatter.

I may, however, have been hallucinating.
    According to the mod info (by diving into the dev kit), there's a hard limit of 6 bowling balls per turret and 30 bounces per ball, but I'm not sure what "rules" apply for bowling ball bouncing off of enemies or breaking on impact.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    I should post in here for advice: anything I should do and go for as a monk (more precisely an initiate)? So far I've been equally putting points in both defenses and character, mostly using electric auras and overall getting pissed way the fuck off when the pub apprentice sell them because NO WE NEED MORE STRIKE DEFENSES.

• Options
    I wonder if they will be so quick to sell the monk defenses once they figure out that you cannot survive most Kobold spam without Strength Drain and/or Ensnare.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:
    I wonder if they will be so quick to sell the monk defenses once they figure out that you cannot survive most Kobold spam without Strength Drain and/or Ensnare.

Or even worse, put their defense in front of them. With squires that happens way more often than it should.

I should use more drain and ensnare as you mentioned.

• Options
    So I'm moderately annoyed that I waited so long to put time into this. For whatever reason the demo put me off so much that even when the game was graciously gifted to me I just didn't feel that strong of an urge to play it. Part of the problem was I played the demo right after getting done with Orcs Must Die and I didn't think it was as good.

But it's crazy fun; just in a totally different way than OMD. I look forward to playing with others more often, and trying out some other classes than Squire though I'm loving my tower build squire. Finished easy playthrough, got my 20m Mana and promptly maxed out my squire guardian. +10 to all towers is what I made it to be, so that's nice. Cost about 1m mana.

Debating putting mana into the TF2 guardians. I guess the engineer is nice because it heals towers? But I dunno. They're all seriously lacking stats. Should I just pass on them or are they better than they look?

I do have a question though...how would you even begin to solo a dps build of whatever class? Maybe someone ranged would be better, but I was trying to picture how a squire would even solo without speccing into traps and it didn't seem good at all. But then I saw @Hahnsoo1 just freaking murdering everything with his apprentace and that got me interested in trying it out.

Maybe I'll try a dps build for a hunter next. That seems different enough from squire.

• Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    So, can I use a character from the ranked server for story mode?

Somehow when I was playing when some PA folks who nicely helped me level up, I ended up using that character instead of my offline characters.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    So, can I use a character from the ranked server for story mode?

Somehow when I was playing when some PA folks who nicely helped me level up, I ended up using that character instead of my offline characters.
    It's like Battle.net and Open, with an option to export your Ranked characters at any time to Open by a simple click of a button. The Campaign can be played online in Ranked. There really is no "offline campaign" or story mode, as the campaign missions and the challenges are all available and play identically in Ranked as they do in offline/Open.

I would strongly suggest playing Ranked, and exporting your characters regularly to Open. Play Open when you want to experiment with builds or when you need a Dungeon Defenders fix and online isn't available.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    Asked yesterday; but if anyone is doing a last minute runthrough of the holiday achievement/stage, please invite me. I'd like to get it done both for the achievement, and apparently the ton of mana you can get if you do it and the campaign.

Working on the campaign right now, but yeah, not gonna get high enough to do the holiday map don't think, not alone.

You don't have to complete the holiday map to get the tonnes of mana. You just need to complete the campaign then open several of the presents under the tree in the tavern.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    hmmm since the latest patch (the Xmas one) I've been noticing some weird stuff with the AI. It's certainly made Mixed Mode easier, but if they occur during UMF I'd get super pissed.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    It always pisses me off when the defenses person puts the defenses right on the edge of the Purple. It always seems like a Dick move, since it essentially cockblocks any DPS people from trying to have some fun and it makes it a pain to gather the mana/item drops.

When playing my Turret Apprentice, I try to put the defenses in chokepoints that are closer to the crystal, just to make sure that the DPS people have room to work before the Turrets start. Makes it a lot easier for Ogre spawns too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    It always pisses me off when the defenses person puts the defenses right on the edge of the Purple. It always seems like a Dick move, since it essentially cockblocks any DPS people from trying to have some fun and it makes it a pain to gather the mana/item drops.

When playing my Turret Apprentice, I try to put the defenses in chokepoints that are closer to the crystal, just to make sure that the DPS people have room to work before the Turrets start. Makes it a lot easier for Ogre spawns too.
    There are times when you want to seal off spawn points to make the rest of the map more manageable. By the time Ogres are actually a problem, it's either way early in the game and you don't know better, or you're a seasoned vet and you already know where the Ogres are going to spawn and can adjust your spacing accordingly. Besides, there's content that's tailor-made for DPSers anyway, like Assault and the Turkey Hunt. I usually leave more than enough room for Monks to throw down auras in front of my Squire/App towers, which should be plenty of room to maneuver if people really want to spawn-camp. App Towers and Monk Auras work better on long lanes anyway, where you can distribute the damage multiple times over snaking paths (the few that exist on the dungeon defenders maps, like Forges and Foundries).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Well I'm new to this (hit 32 so far), and it has been an absolute blast.

So couple of questions for the veterans here - when is a good time to start sinking mana into upgrading weapons/familiars? It seems a major gold sink, and one that's hard to keep up unless you play frequently.

Next question - what's the usual looting conventions for this game? I've seen games whereby people just leave stuff lying around, and games whereby everyone seems to be scrambling around madly trying to loot anything that drops regardless of upgrade status. The latter probably isn't too team friendly ( I understand that drops on the floor are sold off and then the mana distributed equally) though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I have to play this more with you guys. Also, I can't seem to use Huntress' traps effectively, so I may just go DPS on her.

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Ugh. Finally got my tower app to the point where she can farm the first two levels of NM Alch Lab.

Problems are as follows:

1. It's hit or miss. If I get unlucky with spiders, they'll kill me before I can place enough towers to survive the first round.

2. It's kinda stressful, since you're dodging spiders, attacking things for mana (genie gooooooo), and trying to place towers before the ogres kill everything.

3. Loot can be nice, or it can be complete crap. Seriously, shining gear on a NM map?

4. I swear to god, the chest loot gets worse as the match goes on.

5. It's boring. And annoying. You're basically playing with the knowledge you're going to lose, it's just when.

• Options
    Slimcea wrote:
    Well I'm new to this (hit 32 so far), and it has been an absolute blast.

So couple of questions for the veterans here - when is a good time to start sinking mana into upgrading weapons/familiars? It seems a major gold sink, and one that's hard to keep up unless you play frequently.

Next question - what's the usual looting conventions for this game? I've seen games whereby people just leave stuff lying around, and games whereby everyone seems to be scrambling around madly trying to loot anything that drops regardless of upgrade status. The latter probably isn't too team friendly ( I understand that drops on the floor are sold off and then the mana distributed equally) though.
    I only pick up items that I'll actually use. A lot of people don't know that loot drops are sold automatically and distributed evenly across the group, thus the idiotic and frantic looting behavior. The thing is, mana generation is a bit trivial solo. I consider any mana I get from team play as a nice bonus, but I get my millions from soloing my favorite maps.

Don't ever sink any mana into your pets. You can just as easily level them from the trickle of XP they get from adventuring with you.

As far as weapons, I typically keep pumping weapons as high as they will go, as often as possible. Sure, it's a money sink, but what else are you going to spend the money on? I also typically do not upgrade armor until my weapon is sorted out (maxed out and renamed).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    I just picked up a 4 pack off Steam, and it works on my desktop, the kids laptop, but not my wife's laptop.

Anyone have any trouble with this? She was able to play for a bit on local, but then it started crashing every time she attempts to join an online or local game, or even start her own.

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    Bonepart wrote:
    I just picked up a 4 pack off Steam, and it works on my desktop, the kids laptop, but not my wife's laptop.

Anyone have any trouble with this? She was able to play for a bit on local, but then it started crashing every time she attempts to join an online or local game, or even start her own.
    This was after a reboot of the system? When this game gets crashy on me, it typically is after a long session on a different Unreal engine game (for some reason), and a reboot clears it up. Also, this game uses Steam for online matchmaking (despite having their own Trendynet servers), so any problems with Steam and Steam overlay will affect the game. I've also found that some aspects of the Steam Overlay sometimes causes issues (for a long time, I would keep seeing large grey squares flash in and out when I play. Turns out, it was the Steam group chat window).

What are the specs of the laptop (at least the brand and model number, but more information would be nice)? Do you have any additional USB devices plugged into it? What do you have your system cache set to (automatic, set number, or no cache)?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    From DXDiag:
    System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
    System Model: Satellite C655
    BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 1.50
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 925 @ 2.30GHz, ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 2940MB RAM
    Page File: 1451MB used, 4426MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

I'm going to go look for some updated video drivers, though it doesn't really act like a video problem.

Only USB device is the mouse. Not sure about the system cache. Where do I check that?

Bonepart on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Also, did you try Verifying the Steam Cache files? Right-Click the game in the Library, Properties > LOCAL FILES tab > VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE

EDIT: Also, disable Steam Cloud saves. One of the problems may be that the game is trying to grab the cloud save, which may cause crashes every time it tries to load up a level or go online. This can explain why she was able to play once, but then never again afterwards.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Verified the files a couple of time. It usually finds a file with a problem, and supposedly redownloads it. I tried deleting the local character she started and made another one, but that didn't help. I also turned off the steam cloud.

The video drivers seem to be up to date, or at least according to Toshiba. Wouldn't let me install more current drivers from Intel.

• Options
    You can also try checking the sound drivers, I know I was getting some fairly frequent pauses until I updated mine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Er, well...

It seems to be working now. Only thing I did that I hadn't done before was disable the steam community in game, but it still worked when I reenabled it.

Gotta love computers!

Thanks for the help guys!

Edit: And of course, now that the 3 of us are trying to play again it isn't working :(

Edit Edit: Well, at least my wife can get it to work for local play. That is....something...I guess

Bonepart on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Bonepart wrote:
    Er, well...

It seems to be working now. Only thing I did that I hadn't done before was disable the steam community in game, but it still worked when I reenabled it.

Gotta love computers!

Thanks for the help guys!

Edit: And of course, now that the 3 of us are trying to play again it isn't working :(

Edit Edit: Well, at least my wife can get it to work for local play. That is....something...I guess

Have you tried putting steam into offline mode and playing a LAN game?

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    So I was away the last few days skiing (where I dislocated my shoulder for the 7th time... now adding skiing to my list of things which I should not do) and missed DD on the sale. Does anyone have a copy left from a 4-pack which I could paypal or trade or something them for?

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lanrutcon wrote:

That actually worked. Thanks for the suggestion. Since that worked the -tcp trick MIGHT fix her Steam online play, but at this point we don't want to chance it (especially since I tried that earlier and it didn't help then).

• Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    So, I have no idea what I'm doing, but I think I'd have more fun being clueless with other PA people. I joined the Steam group but don't really see how that'll help me find people to play with. So uh, this is my in-game name. Find me or something?

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    I just got this game and there's one doubt I would like to be cleared before I start investing time into leveling a character.
    From what I understand there are local and online characters. Are they exclusive? Local characters can only play/level offline and online characters can only play/level online?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I'd like some more people to play with, too. Send me some friend requests!

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Ranked can only play online with other Ranked, but they can export at any time to Open. I make it a habit to click the export button every time I play Ranked ( it's a simple button click). Open can only be played offline and among other Open games. Just play Ranked, since that's what everyone else is playing, unless circumstances dictate otherwise (Trendynet is down, can't play on Ranked, etc.).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    psyck0 wrote:
    So I was away the last few days skiing (where I dislocated my shoulder for the 7th time... now adding skiing to my list of things which I should not do) and missed DD on the sale. Does anyone have a copy left from a 4-pack which I could paypal or trade or something them for?
    I'd check the Steam thread, as several folks were still giving the game away.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Bonepart wrote:
    Lanrutcon wrote:

That actually worked. Thanks for the suggestion. Since that worked the -tcp trick MIGHT fix her Steam online play, but at this point we don't want to chance it (especially since I tried that earlier and it didn't help then).
    It definitely sounds like a Steam issue. Did you try changing your local download server for Steam?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
This discussion has been closed.