As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25: probably got flying cars powered by plump helmets and beards

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Actually the graphics are more like 45 years old.

But yes, it's basically Earth's craziest world builder game.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, finally got a fort going that I really like

Only magma is 90 levels down

Wondering if I should just segregate my fortress into an 'upper' class and a 'heat class', force all the people who work with heat to live deep underground

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    you could do that... or you could devise a way to pump the magma up 90 levels and almost assuredly mess something up causing everyone in the fort to die horrible deaths.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Actually, in the default windows version at least, the graphics are only 15 years old. It's not actually ascii art, it's a bunch of PNGs that look somewhat like ascii art.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Wondering if I should just segregate my fortress into an 'upper' class and a 'heat class', force all the people who work with heat to live deep underground

Absolutely nothing can go wrong with mining out a huge pillar/shaft that can be dropped into the magma, the resulting pressure pushing the magma up 80 z-levels to a convienient location in your fort.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Actually, in the default windows version at least, the graphics are only 15 years old. It's not actually ascii art, it's a bunch of PNGs that look somewhat like ascii art.

I'm using May's Art mod thinger so its not really that bad. I'm just being dramatic.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rami wrote: »

Absolutely nothing can go wrong with mining out a huge pillar/shaft that can be dropped into the magma, the resulting pressure pushing the magma up 80 z-levels to a convienient location in your fort.

It sounds like a ton of work

Similarly, making a pump stack 90 levels deep sounds incredibly boring

It's a magma sea too so i think just dropping a pillar into it would cause the pillar to melt

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Then mine out around your fortress and then drop it down 80 levels.

Simple problems, simple solutions.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I can attest that this totally works and will have no negative effects on your Dwarves.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Absolutely none!*

*Your results may very

hailthefish on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Actually the graphics are more like 45 years old.

But yes, it's basically Earth's craziest world builder game.

It's nethack plus Dungeon Keeper married to a hot air balloon watching a more hilarious version of every Final Destination movie.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And there are always these things that stick with you.

Mine is still a dungeon master that LOVED rats. So I sent some trappers after all the vermin in the place until one finally caught a rat. I had it tamed at the kennel and then put it up for sale. Within 2 seconds the DM picked it up and you know where he put it? On his shoulder. So damn cute.

DM had happy thoughts for the rest of his life ...
    (which unfortunately was until a goblin siege where I wanted my legendary axedwarf to kill them all, only to have him go on break and the entire fight ended up in the main dining hall.)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Goblin Siege? I think not, I'm in need of some nap time! The rest of you can fend for yourselves right?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    As an epilogue to that DM story: the rat disappeared. I guess since Vermin are usually invisible, he just found the nearest rat hole. Either that or he was eaten by a cat. It's too bad vermin can't be buried I guess, I would have totally buried it next to the DM.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In my new fort my well wasn't working - apparently there is a height limit you have to be over the water? - but I assumed it was because the inflow that feeds the well shared the well shaft with the bucket. It cost me three dwarves to divert the flow, and their bones rest forever on the bottom of the well. I've got my first ghost, but I've only seen him once and I'm not sure what he's doing.

Anyhow, the question: How to get the bones from the bottom of the well?
    I cleared out a room near the base of the well then tapped into it, hoping the water flow would push (true desire was "rocket") the corpses on the bottom of the well into the new room where I could pick them up. It didn't work, just nudged some shoes.

a) If I were able to fill the well shaft, will more water create more force?
    b) Will this work?

X: corpses
    /: new ramp i dig from beneath the well
    .....X.....
    ...../.....

Where would the corpses stop / where should the flood gate go?

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blergh. Goblin mega-siege. Three squads from three directions and a legion of trolls. We won, but there were survivors. One fucking giant swallows. Swooping around in the sky causing job cancellations where nobody could get at them.

I tried to use DFhack to create some lava on and around them. No good.

So I made a huge lava cube around one. He survived, the lava cube dropped onto the entrance of my fort. Deaths. So many deaths.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Blergh. Goblin mega-siege. Three squads from three directions and a legion of trolls. We won, but there were survivors. One fucking giant swallows. Swooping around in the sky causing job cancellations where nobody could get at them.

I tried to use DFhack to create some lava on and around them. No good.

So I made a huge lava cube around one. He survived, the lava cube dropped onto the entrance of my fort. Deaths. So many deaths.

Not sure if it's being updated or if there's something else like it, but what I used to do for those annoying pests is use Dwarf Companion to blind them and remove their ability to breathe.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    why is it my military dwarves always breed like crazy? I guess all that wrestling accidentally turns into an orgy

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    why is it my military dwarves always breed like crazy? I guess all that wrestling accidentally turns into an orgy

Pretty much yeah. I think how the coding works is that paired off dwarves release spores that float around or something, so being in close physical contact with each other makes them more likely to get spored.

Couples that meet less, breed less.

I figure hunters are the least likely to get pregnant, a pair of farmers are the most likely.

Oh, and bed sharing married couples breed like rabbits.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Pretty much yeah. I think how the coding works is that paired off dwarves release spores that float around or something, so being in close physical contact with each other makes them more likely to get spored.

D:

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

D:

Floating.

Spores.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I always just set the max allowable children to 2 in the init. Otherwise you end up with 75 out of your 150 population being children.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I post next you, you pregnant.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    My spores are ☼masterwork☼.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Dwarves that spend time together end up in relationships more often, and thus spore eachother.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love how I don't even need to tackle learning how to play this game, just reading this thread is entertainment enough. :D

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lt. Fragg wrote: »
    I love how I don't even need to tackle learning how to play this game, just reading this thread is entertainment enough. :D

Ditto. I tried to start a fort but within the first few minutes I was attacked by "things" and my dwarfs were murdered before I could even figure out what was going on. :(

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GuildNavigatorGuildNavigator Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My spores are ☼masterwork☼.

wtf :lol:

GuildNavigator on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i thought this was dwarf fortress, not 40k ork fortress what with all these love spores and shit

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lt. Fragg wrote: »

Ditto. I tried to start a fort but within the first few minutes I was attacked by "things" and my dwarfs were murdered before I could even figure out what was going on. :(

I guarantee that the stories get even more entertaining once you've experienced something similar.

Joinnnn ussss.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I tried to do the "pillar of pressure" thing that was suggested here, mostly because I didn't know you could do that.

I dropped it into a pool of Lava, I drooped a 80z pillar into a 2z 20x25 pool of lava. It goes down, and pushes all the lava up. Honestly, it was going swimmingly. I was all excited as the lava started to go through my aqueduct system.

Until I realized my water and lava aqueducts joined at a certain point, I had accidentally started the whole dig off my main water line. This was, at the time, very low water. Like 1/7. It flashed to steam and started to go through my main line. The flood gates were still open and I couldn't get a dwarf to the switch before the switch room got flooded. I watched in horror as 3 days of Fortress building went up in flames. It poured through the entire main fortress, all hands lost. Even those I sent emergency burrowing off got burnt alive as the creeping red death flowed into their escape tunnels.

In the end I watched as a small trickle of lava oozed out of my main entrance hall and trade area on to the spring grass.

It was glorious.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Smells like copy and paste the entire folder into the same directory every once in a while.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think we've all done that before, odd connections between our water/magma supplies and their own utility rooms. Setting a pull lever order and watching as nobody accepts it and the tide of death creeps ever closer.
    Smells like copy and paste the entire folder into the same directory every once in a while.

Nah. When you back up your save, you are accepting defeat.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »

I can attest that this totally works and will have no negative effects on your Dwarves.

I collapsed an 11 floor fortress by carefully rigging it to go on a switch, around my moat is where the disconnection occurred

Miraculously, two dwarves survived 11 floors becoming one floor. They sat triumphant in the wreckage of stone, iron, copper, and gore, victorious in their dwarfiness. Then they drowned because the moat (connected to the river) poured in and filled the hole. I got a picture somewhere.

Spoilered for big and incomprehensible
    ohno.png

If you look carefully you can spot the two temporary survivors

override367 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »

I collapsed an 11 floor fortress by carefully rigging it to go on a switch, around my moat is where the disconnection occurred

Miraculously, two dwarves survived 11 floors becoming one floor. They sat triumphant in the wreckage of stone, iron, copper, and gore, victorious in their dwarfiness. Then they drowned because the moat (connected to the river) poured in and filled the hole. I got a picture somewhere.

Spoilered for big and incomprehensible
    The sad part is that it's not all that in comprehensible to me and I saw your two survivors (one of them lying down because of the brown square) almost instantly.

What's all the red stuff? Blood for the Blood God! Well done.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Nah. When you back up your save, you are accepting defeat.

The opposite is true - you back up your save because you won't accept defeat. It's ludicrous to spend hours and hours on something and let it all be destroyed due to random chance.

It's like getting excited to play video games in a thunderstorm because of the visceral thrill of being able to lose all your progress at any moment, and the privilege of being able to buy a whole new console/PC to replace your fried one.

When you lose, you're "having fun," in the ironic Dwarf Fortress community sense...but when you build an awesome fort and actually get to keep it and maintain it for many years, you're having fun in the actual, real sense.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Both are valid fun

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It depends on how you have fun in the game. Some people love having their fortresses fail spectacularly. Others do not.

I've swung back and forth between both opinions at various points myself and I'm swinging back towards the backup one again. Nothing is more annoying to lose a fortress because you forgot to close a floodgate during a planned flooding. (Though I usually do try to salvage it manually before I revert to a backup in case something funny occurs with the survivors.)

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, the critical failure of the fort as an inevitability is the fun (for me). Saving is all well and good, but surely it makes your victory hollow?

Mojo_Jojo on