As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25: probably got flying cars powered by plump helmets and beards

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Yeah, the critical failure of the fort as an inevitability is the fun (for me). Saving is all well and good, but surely it makes your victory hollow?

It's not a matter of victory. This is a sandbox game, it's impossible to win. It's building a city out of Legos that you get to keep and come back to whenever you like.

It's also only an issue if you ever actually use that backup. Personally I only restore if it's something I've done wrong like forget to close a floodgate or break into a cavern that kills my framerate. If I get ambushed, I let my military take care of it, and if some people die then that's that.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't really understand your point of view, but as long as you're having fun, then it doesn't matter.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't really understand your point of view, but as long as you're having fun, then it doesn't matter.

Amikron Devalia on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's okay Unclesporky, I will kill my dwarves twice as hard for the both of us. who needs danger rooms when you can make Danger Forts.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's okay Unclesporky, I will kill my dwarves twice as hard for the both of us. who needs danger rooms when you can make Danger Forts.

Danger forts, where every major corridor and meeting room has masterwork spear traps built into the floor and connected to adjacent pressure plates.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    whenever a dwarf goes to sleep he triggers a trap killing a different dwarf somewhere else

how long can you stay awake

override367 on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't care if it's haunted, if they're going to name a mountain range "The Insenstive Finger" We are going to make a fort there.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ... Okay, this fort is going to be amazing.

How do I know?

The randomly generated name: Goldwire. Okay, not that exciting, I guess, but at least it sounds cool. But who is settling Goldwire?

The Systemic Star-Furnaces

INeedNoSalt on
  • Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Lt. Fragg wrote: »
    I love how I don't even need to tackle learning how to play this game, just reading this thread is entertainment enough. :D

Ditto. I tried to start a fort but within the first few minutes I was attacked by "things" and my dwarfs were murdered before I could even figure out what was going on. :(

I guarantee that the stories get even more entertaining once you've experienced something similar.

Joinnnn ussss.

Sooo tempted, believe me...

My only concern is the time it would take to sit down and really learn the systems. I just need a couple of uninterrupted hours to really sink my teeth into it and learn properly.

I will admit, I am scared looking at some of the wiki's.

Nay, terrified.

Lt. Fragg on
    edited May 2011
    beautiful.jpg

look at this perfect settlement position

INeedNoSalt on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's the kind of an embark site that inspires ambition. And ambition in DF, as we all know, leads to Fun.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Holy what the fark

Jintor on
    edited May 2011
    If you're curious, yes, that is a volcano that stops one z-level short of the surface.

Also, how the hell do I tell my dwarves to drag dead badger corpses to my god damn butchery.

INeedNoSalt on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man that is one gigantic resolution.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited May 2011
    Aegis wrote: »
    Man that is one gigantic resolution.

I just zoomed out to capture the whole site. It's 2x3.

INeedNoSalt on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you're curious, yes, that is a volcano that stops one z-level short of the surface.

Also, how the hell do I tell my dwarves to drag dead badger corpses to my god damn butchery.

Seems like its a bug in the current version. Dwarves will only bring live animals to a butchery (unless it's a hunter bringing back a kill.)

Supposedly if the corpse is in your refuse stockpile it may be butchered, but that hasn't worked for me. Some people have reported that the "invalid" corpses never rot either, they just go from corpse to skeleton without the rotting phase.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, the critical failure of the fort as an inevitability is the fun (for me). Saving is all well and good, but surely it makes your victory hollow?

It's not a matter of victory. This is a sandbox game, it's impossible to win. It's building a city out of Legos that you get to keep and come back to whenever you like.

It's also only an issue if you ever actually use that backup. Personally I only restore if it's something I've done wrong like forget to close a floodgate or break into a cavern that kills my framerate. If I get ambushed, I let my military take care of it, and if some people die then that's that.

Yeah, sometimes the failure is fun if you're looking to see what horrible, crazy way you come across to have your entire fortress destroyed.

But the game is random enough that sometimes you just want to build something awesome without breaking through the wrong wall and unleashing a very literal hell on your unprepared fortress. Losing hours and hours and hours of work to something unavoidably random is also massively frustrating if you just want to build cool stuff.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

try orders, refuse, then toggle dwarves collect refuse from outside (i forget the key)

e~ oh, a bug someone says?
    well this order is good to know anyhow.

fadingathedges on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can DFLiquids be used to remove river sources? I can't figure out how and it would be mighty handy in trying to recover my FPS. I've got a weird spot of river sources on a really nice map that are making all kind of complicated waterfalls. Pretty, but far away from my fort.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

That is a fucking incredible name. They've probably got flying cars powered by plump helmets and beards too.

Firmus_Piett on
    camo_sig.png

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

That is a fucking incredible name. They've probably got flying cars powered by plump helmets and beards too.

AHA! I found my new thread title. Thanks.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Foefaller wrote: »
    I don't care if it's haunted, if they're going to name a mountain range "The Insenstive Finger" We are going to make a fort there.

I can see the heraldry on the banners of The Fort of the Insensitive Finger before me now:
    3412951917_upyours_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That volcano embark is pretty sweet.

Ok, so I lost my Second of Seven, the other Legendary Miner, to yet another clay loam collapse. This time he was above it, and off to the side. Confused, I checked the combat log which calls those dust clouds "boiling clouds of magma." Hmm.

So now I have no miners, I'm running out of trees, I have no coal, and I irreparably fucked up my aqueduct (saved the fort though; thanks lever dwarf!). That subterranean fortress assault is looking less and less likely. Think I'm gonna scrub this one and start out on a smaller embark zone. 5x5 or 6x6 (or whatever I picked) is pretty excessive. I have so much flux and magnetite though...

Actually, I think I'll gen a new world and see if the smaller embark even bumps up frame rate that much. I'll revisit this one if it doesn't. I really want to conquer that city by the underground magma lake.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited May 2011
    That volcano embark is pretty sweet.

Ok, so I lost my Second of Seven, the other Legendary Miner, to yet another clay loam collapse. This time he was above it, and off to the side. Confused, I checked the combat log which calls those dust clouds "boiling clouds of magma." Hmm.

So now I have no miners, I'm running out of trees, I have no coal, and I irreparably fucked up my aqueduct (saved the fort though; thanks lever dwarf!). That subterranean fortress assault is looking less and less likely. Think I'm gonna scrub this one and start out on a smaller embark zone. 5x5 or 6x6 (or whatever I picked) is pretty excessive. I have so much flux and magnetite though...

Actually, I think I'll gen a new world and see if the smaller embark even bumps up frame rate that much. I'll revisit this one if it doesn't. I really want to conquer that city by the underground magma lake.

Keep on trucking, use herbalists to gather plants if you have to to survive, use stone you've already mined to make crafts to trade for new picks. And have fun!

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh I've got picks. I've got food, lodging, excellent masons and blacksmiths, a small (4) but well armed military with a master marksdwarf in reserve, no goblins yet (they were listed on embark, though), but the walls are almost done. I'm not out of trees yet, and just placed a large order with the mountainhomes for wood and fuel. It seems they would gladly trade their children for my fine chain shirts and leggings; so wood and fuel should be no trouble.

Of course, we would gladly trade our children for wood and fuel... so my valuation may be off there.

I can salvage it, easily, just... man, I hate training miners. I'm also running at 30fps, which is quite tolerable, but I'm curious if a smaller embark* could go a long way to help that.

*Or trying it in Win7 native. My card won't support STANDARD in linux; so running under 2DASYNC, which I've read is not so quick. And v-box is only helpful if you want your video card to suck more.

[Edit] The Mining Crisis of ### did come at a bad time, though. Just got some migrants who need bedrooms.

The picks are in the armory, gents. Wipe off the blood and get digging.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, win7 native should help you a lot.

hailthefish on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Run it in text mode.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Someone tell me that the latest version is horribly horribly broken and that I'm better off not playing Dwarf Fortress when I get home.

HappylilElf on
    edited May 2011
    The latest version is horribly horribly broken and is much more fun than it should be, you better play Dwarf Fortress when you get home.

hailthefish on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    that is not helpful

Just for that I'm eating fish for dinner

Ok, well I don't actually have any fish and I'm sure as fuck not eating the Long John Silvers version of fish but whatever I do end up eating? I'm going to pretend that it's fish so hard

HappylilElf on
    edited May 2011
    Plump helmets.

hailthefish on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

AHA! I found my new thread title. Thanks.

Man, you need to build a rocket.

Not sure how to make it fly, maybe find a way to explode magma.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You can explode liquor, or use a water or magma jet* from an underground piston. The tricky part is going to be having something sit on top of the surface of the planet and not be part of the planet, allowing it to move.

*: magma.

fadingathedges on
    edited May 2011
    The problem with exploding liquor is that it's hard to purposefully catch things on fire. Magma jet would be easy. Have the same lever that collapses the magma piston collapse the rocketship on top, so the rocketship disconnects from the planet as the magma comes shooting up.

It won't take off though. Heh.

hailthefish on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Goddamnit Yaks, I set you out to pasture. Pasture does not mean:
    The Stray Yak Bull grabs the Stray Yak Calf by the left ear with its left front leg!
    The Stray Yak Bull kicks the Stray Yak Cow in the left front hoof with his right front hoof, but the attack glances away!
    The Stray Yak Bull stands up.
    The Stray Yak Bull gores the Stray Yak Bull in the head with his left horn, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
    The Stray Yak Bull has been knocked unconscious!

I have gained about 7 reports of Yak fighting right after putting them out to pasture :(

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Holy shit I laughed way too hard at that log.

Amikron Devalia on
    edited May 2011
    I've had problems with my animals fighting on pastures. I've got a camel wrecking everybody's shit at the moment. He's queued for butchery now.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited May 2011
    I think I've managed to solve it by giving each animal their own stretch of (smaller) pasture separating by a line for each. Haven't had inter-Yak fighting since.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited May 2011
    I had a turkey gobbler start fighting a bunch of my hens once. It was fun stuff :D

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    edited May 2011
    How do you make a functional indoor pasture?

INeedNoSalt on