As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cooker? I barely know her! [Cooking Thread]

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    So happy. Finally grilling weather here again.

Grilled some sausages with green peppers and onions while I drank Jameson out of a Moscow Mule cup. Keepin it classy.

Also that cast iron bread sounds great.

MichaelLC on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any suggestion for sous vide pork chop ideas? Sauces, sides, best cuts, etc.?

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Does anyone have any suggestion for sous vide pork chop ideas? Sauces, sides, best cuts, etc.?

You won't have as much in the way of fond (though you do have the liquid in the bag from the meat you cooked) so pan sauces may not be very efficient. My go to has usually been a gastrique using apple cider vinegar. I've thought about adding some apple juice into that sauce but don't think it's really needed. I might try adding in some raspberries like I've done for duck and see how that goes with pork.

As for cuts, if you can find heritage breeds any cut from that will be a lot tastier than the mass market stuff bred for leanness. Rib chops are supposed to be the best in terms of pork chop but you may be at the mercy of what's available. So many different cuts of pork get labeled pork chops and since the average consumer doesn't care to differentiate between a rib, loin, or shoulder pork chop when shopping it's not uncommon for a store to only carry a few cuts, e.g. I normally can only get loin chops unless I spring for a kurobota/berkshire pork chop where the usual cut is a rib chop.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    black bean burgers

INGREDIENTS
    2 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 medium onion, chopped fairly fine
    1 large poblano pepper, chopped same as the onion
    3-4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, finely chopped, plus 1 teaspoon sauce (this is just one pepper not one can, don't fuck this up or you will catch on fire)
    3/4 cup roasted cashews (mine were salted idk if that matters)
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
    2 tablespoons plain yogurt (the original recipe calls for mayo but mayo is gross so)
    1 whole egg
    3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
    salt & pepper
    some olive oil

DIRECTIONS
    1. Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 350°F. Spread black beans in a single layer on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven and roast until beans are mostly split open and outer skins are beginning to get crunchy, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.

2. While beans roast, heat some oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and poblano and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and the onions have some nice color, 10-15 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2-5 minutes. Add chipotle chili and sauce and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.

3. Place cashews in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until chopped into pieces about the same size as your breadcrumbs (12 pulses?). Add to bowl with onions and peppers.

4. When beans are slightly cooled, transfer to food processor. Add cheese. Pulse until beans are roughly chopped (the largest pieces should be about 1/3 of a full bean in size). Note -- this is hard as fuck to do. Most of my beans ended up as a paste. Whatever.

5. Transfer bean/cheese mixture to bowl with onion/pepper mixture. Add yogurt, egg, and bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper. Fold together gently but thoroughly with hands. This shit is going to smell like vomit at this point but KEEP GOING. The batter or dough or whatever will be pretty sticky -- if it seems too runny, add some more breadcrumbs.

6. Form into 6-8 patties, heat some oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook (no more than 3-4 to a pan) for about 5 min on each side. You want a nice brown/crispy crust. Be careful when flipping. Add some cheese to them shits if you wanna, after the flip!

7. Put on a toasted bun, top with whatever condiments and toppings you like and enjoy like a real burger!

adapted from http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/the-best-black-bean-burger-recipe.html

@arch @TL DR @wandering @surrealitycheck

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    So I made some chicken tacos with a pan salsa tonight for funsies

Easy recipe for anyone who's like hmm cooking is hard

I'm here to tell you it is not

2 chicken breasts filets, whole
    1 medium tomato, diced smallish
    1 medium yellow onion, diced fine
    1 small avocado, sliced
    1/2 cup chicken stock
    1 tbsp butter
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    1 tbsp chopped cilanto (fresh, or use like 1/2 tbsp dried if that's what you have)
    1 tbsp cumin
    1/2 tbsp chili powder or cayenne pepper or whatever spicy hot you have
    salt and pepper
    taco-sized yellow corn tortillas (you can use whatever kind, but i like corn better than flour for tacos)

In a skillet I started with a the butter and tossed in the garlic and the onion and let that sweat on medium-high for a bit. When they started to turn translucent but not caramlized yet, I pushed them all to the sides and tossed in the chicken breasts, sprinkled with salt & pepper, and flipped them after about two minutes so they got a little brown and after two more minutes, I turned the heat down to medium-low and tossed the breasts on the cutting board.

Try and keep the onions and garlic moving while the chicken cooks, just stir them a little here and there so they cook somewhat evenly. They might be a slightly burnt by this point, it's fine if there's some nice dark brown and even a little black edges. After taking the chicken out, I tossed in the tomato and the stock and let that simmer, adding in the cumin, chili powder, and cilantro.

While that simmered, now that the breasts were cooled enough, I shredded them by hand (literally just squish and break them apart -- it's easy, careful of a hot center), and then tossed them back in the pan.

After a the stock had reduced enough that it looked like a sauce and not soupy, I moved it to a cold burner and put a new pan on the hot burner. Let that heat up a bit and then you can warm your corn torillas, maybe 30 seconds a side. I used two tortillas per taco because the yellow corn ones can be a bit flimsy.

I just used tongs to scoop up the chicken and pan salsa for each taco then put two or three slices of avocado on top.

I would have taken pics but I ate it.

Serves 2-4 depending how hungry you are.

Takes about 20 minutes all told with the prep. Also I tried to write this in mind of someone who hasn't been cooking food for 20 years.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    pan salsa! I have never tried that but I am v interest

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    pan salsa! I have never tried that but I am v interest

usually that's how i'd do a tomatillo salsa but turns out it works with red tomatoes too!

edited June 2016
    Crock Pot Carnitas de Chanus

So I made carnitas today and will be eating carnitas for like a month now.

Here's how I done did it:

7lb (ish) bone-in picnic pork shoulder
    1 cup chicken stock
    Juice of 1 orange
    Juice of 1 lime
    2 tbsp cumin
    2 tbsp cilantro
    2 tbsp oregano
    2 tbsp minced garlic
    1 tbsp cayenne pepper (or chili powder would work)
    1/2 tbsp onion powder (you could do like half an onion diced instead, but I wanted my pork to be as chunk-free as possible)
    Salt and pepper

A note about the pork: One would generally prefer to cook it whole with the bone in, but I misjudged my crock pot-to-shoulder size ratio and had to adjust. I cut the pork off the bone and quartered it. This may be considered heresy by some, but not only did that make it actually fit in the crock pot, but I felt it also afforded more surface area for seasoning the pork, and really this stuff comes out like butter anyway, so worrying about toughness wasn't an issue. The bone might have added some complexity to the flavor, next time I might still put the bone in the pot with everything else. Do not trim the fat cap off the pork. You can pull that out when it's done and it separates pretty easily.

Rub the salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, cilantro, onion powder, and cayenne pepper into the pork, season as generously as you like. I probably used about 1 tbsp of salt and pepper all told. Place the pork in the crock pot.

Pour the chicken stock and juice around the pork, but try not to be washing the seasoning off the meat as you do it. This should not fully submerge the meat. That's fine.

Toss in the garlic. (I just kind of tried to evenly distribute it, but it doesn't really matter)

Set crock pot to low and cook 8 hours. I checked it after about four hours and turned the pieces of pork that weren't submerged.

After 8 hours, take the pork out of the pot, leaving the liquid for now. The fat cap and other large pieces of fat should pretty much slide right off at this point. With forks or tongs or your hands or whatever, shred the pork in a bowl. Just transferring the pork to the bowl will do a lot of this for you as this shit is juicy and tender and just falling apart all over the place at this point.

Stand back and admire your creation. Maybe nip a little piece for yourself because you deserve it.

The final step is to brown the carnitas in a pan. Just put some oil in a pan, enough to coat, maybe a tbsp or two. Toss in the pork and turn it occasionally. I prefer not to brown it all the way at this point, so when I heat up the leftovers there's still some browning I can do then.

Once browned, you're done. You can throw it in tacos or do whatever. The world is your pork oyster.

Pic of finished product:
    vufczn1ow70j.jpg

I made tacos with mine and whipped up a little pico do gallo (just onions, tomatoes, cilantro).

peennnn6dumn.jpg

This shit taste good y'all.

@Powerpuppies by request

e: I should mention the total cost of this was under $10 and it'll feed me for probably most of the week.

Chanus on
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    @Chanus I used to make carnitas just like that. However, once I read this article, and tried the technique, there's no way to go back for me...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/07/the-food-lab-how-to-make-crisp-and-juicy-carnitas-without-a-bucket-of-lard.html

Simpsonia wrote: »
    Chanus I used to make carnitas just like that. However, once I read this article, and tried the technique, there's no way to go back for me...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/07/the-food-lab-how-to-make-crisp-and-juicy-carnitas-without-a-bucket-of-lard.html

ooh I will have to try that out

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    but...but..my lard!!! Am I just suppose to eat this bucket of lard by itself or something???

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    azith28 wrote: »
    but...but..my lard!!! Am I just suppose to eat this bucket of lard by itself or something???

It's still recommended for use in pie crusts.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

All butter crusts are better.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Ketar wrote: »

Vodak and butter crusts are even better.

Simpsonia on
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »

Vodak and butter crusts are even better.

Kenji still recommends good lard over butter for crusts. The problem is that unless you're handling the pigs yourself you're not going to get good lard. The lard sold in markets is not good quality.

Steam Profile
    I just cant go with that.

Can you sit down and eat an entire stick of butter? Yes.

Can you sit down and eat an entire stick of lard without vomiting? I don't think so

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I wanted something comforting but not too rich so I extemporised a sort of pork & sweet vegetable stew in an aromatic butter broth.

For 2-3 mins, lightly toasted 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1/4 tsp (Actually it was a straight up literal pinch) of caraway seeds in a dry cooking pot over a medium low heat.
    Added "a lump" (about 1.5-2oz) of butter and 3 bay leaves.
    Then lightly browned 1.5lb of lean diced shoulder meat in the aromatic butter.
    Then added a small onion, roughly chopped, until softened. And 6-7 large cloves of garlic smashed and chopped.
    Added a swirl of honey, call it a couple of teaspoons.
    Then added 1 large tin of cannelini beans and a lone potato that I had that needed using up, 1/4" diced.
    Then added a pint of chicken stock and a pinch of extra salt (depending on how salty your stock is, you may not need this.)
    Let to simmer for an hour. Swing by a smoosh a few beans and check the liqor every few minutes.
    Added 1 large yellow bell pepper, 1/4" diced
    Added 1 medium sized courgette, 1/4" diced
    Added a little more liquid to keep everything just covered
    Simmer for 10 mins
    Added a small (5oz) tin of sweetcorn and "use the bag up" (ie about 4-5 oz) frozen garden peas.
    Simmer for about as long as it takes to get dish, cutlery, glass of australian chardonnay (not normally my go-to white wine, but that slightly over-sweet too-much-sun honey top note that I normally don't like in Oz whites was ideal for this) and a crusty roll for dipping all ready & set up.

It was exactly what I needed.

V1m on
    Curious about something.

Cilantro and me usually dont get along (soap) so I've avoided Chipotle. I have recently found I liked some dishes at an Indian place near my work...I like Butter Chicken, and Chicken 65, and nann and yellow dal. I wanted to see if i could make some butter chicken at home in my slow cooker...I found some receipes but they all use cilantro. I was under the impression that Cilantro was more of a mexican thing then an Indian thing. Is it the same stuff, or is there a difference between south american and indian Cilantro.

Curious about something.

Cilantro and me usually dont get along (soap) so I've avoided Chipotle. I have recently found I liked some dishes at an Indian place near my work...I like Butter Chicken, and Chicken 65, and nann and yellow dal. I wanted to see if i could make some butter chicken at home in my slow cooker...I found some receipes but they all use cilantro. I was under the impression that Cilantro was more of a mexican thing then an Indian thing. Is it the same stuff, or is there a difference between south american and indian Cilantro.

cilantro is actually called coriander and what we call coriander is actually called coriander seed

you could sub parsley

Little confused by your answer. are they actually two different things in my example? I'm trying to understand why I do not detect the celantro in the indian food but definately do in the Chipotle food.

also the cilantro in indian food isn't near the front of the flavor profile like it is in mexican food

you can be pretty sure there is cilantro in that butter chicken the indian place makes, it's just not strong enough for you to get the flavor you don't like

Little confused by your answer. are they actually two different things in my example? I'm trying to understand why I do not detect the celantro in the indian food but definately do in the Chipotle food.

sorry, no, they aren't two different things

cilantro in the americas is the same thing as coriander in europe and asia

the leaves of the coriander plant

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    you can just leave out the cilantro and it will be fine!

also, at Chipolte, you can ask for rice with out cilantro and they can make it in a matter of seconds.

Curious about something.

Same thing AFAIK. Not like with Parsley where there's the edible flat leaf parsley used in cooking and the decorative parsley that was used for decoration during the 80s and early 90s.

It does get used differently in different cuisines though. It's usually part of a multiple herbs and spices when used in Asian cooking, whether Southern (aka Indian) or Southeastern styles as opposed to the way it's the only green thing in Western Hemisphere dishes and a lot gets dumped on.

Flat leaf/French/some other names I can't remember parsley is related so it can often be subbed in for a flavor that's not the same but is closer than other herb substitutions. Or you can just leave it out depending on the recipe. The other spices like cumin and tumeric are doing more of the heavy lifting in butter chicken recipes compared to the cilantro.

Steam Profile
    Xaquin wrote: »
    you can just leave out the cilantro and it will be fine!

also, at Chipolte, you can ask for rice with out cilantro and they can make it in a matter of seconds.

true, yeah, you could just skip the cilantro

Thanks. I have no problem with Parsley.

Indian food tends to use coriander leaf as basically a condiment; you add a handful into the sauce pretty much as the last minute, or else sprinkle over the finished dish. Coriander seed is a very different flavour and is invariably used as just one of a blend of spices.

I started a push to convert the ingredients for stock that have been clogging my freezer for a few years into actual stock last week. The first target was the collection of chicken bones and carcasses. Originally my plan to use it all up was a lot of vegetable soups and risotto but one batch came out of the pressure cooker with so much gelatin that it's semi-solid at room temperature and was marked for use in sauces.

I've been starting by melting some fat in the pan, duck fat in my case since I have a bunch of it that needs to be used up, whisking in about a teaspoon of corn starch to help aid thickening, sauteing a diced shallot for a bit, and then adding in a quarter cup of stock and quarter cup of port/red wine for each serving and letting it reduce til it's syrup like in texture. Since I mostly do meat sous vide I don't have any fond in the pan to deglaze but I will have juices from the meat in the bag it was cooked in so that gets added in as well. Some chopped tarragon at the end rounds it out though if one wanted a shinier appearance a pat of butter could be whisked in too.

Since I started to buy whole duck to break down given that I could get one for the price stores tend to charge for just a breast, the sauce has gone nicely with pan seared breasts and confit legs and wings though before that it worked very well with chicken.

Steam Profile
    I just remembered that I'm a real grownup with a job and I can make popcorn they way I like it whenever I want.

So tonight Ima watch a film and eat popcorn because it's literally been a year since I've done that

melted unsalted butter
    maldon sea salt
    popcorn

V1m wrote: »
    I just remembered that I'm a real grownup with a job and I can make popcorn they way I like it whenever I want.

So tonight Ima watch a film and eat popcorn because it's literally been a year since I've done that

melted unsalted butter
    maldon sea salt
    popcorn

I did something similar with ice cream on the 4th. Only a little bit of that batch got shared out.

Steam Profile
    I make popcorn in a wok. Pretty handy. Too bad I'm going back to low carb eating.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    We stopped buying hummus since I've been making my own with our food processor 1-2 times a week. All you need is a blender, and the toughest ingredient to find is the tahini, which is in most nice grocery stores. It will also be in middle eastern stores and spice shops. I find it's worth spending a little extra on good tahini, it really helps the texture.

you need

2 x 15 oz cans of chickpeas (low sodium is usually a good idea, makes it easier to control how salty it gets)
    half cup of lemon juice (the juice of two large lemons or so)
    4 table spoons of (ideally pretty good) olive oil
    half cup of tahini
    a few cloves of garlic
    salt and pepper
    whatever spice you want to add for flavor. The recipe this comes from suggests cumin.

Blend the tahini and lemon juice together until it gets "whipped" and creamy. If it gets grainy add a little water and keep blending.

Add the fresh garlic cloves, olive oil, salt and pepper and your spice(s). Blend some more. For less intense garlic flavor you can roast the garlic in a pan or in the oven.

Rinse the chickpeas and add them a handful at a time and blend thoroughly. You really can't blend too much since you want a really smooth texture. Adding a little at a time ensures no grainyness

Taste and adjust ingredients as necessary.

the great thing about hummus is that it's extraordinarily flexible. As long as it blends, you can add it to hummus. My favorite so far are beets (I just used a can of beets and added them with the chickpeas. Makes the hummus a gorgeous pink color.) and red peppers.

To add roasted red peppers, get 2-3 red bell peppers and prepare them - cut out of the stem, remove the seeds, etc. Put them on tin foil and broil them on high in the oven until they are black and look ruined. Once they are entirely or mostly blackened, take them out and wrap them in the tin foil and let sit for a few minutes. Once they're cool enough, you can peel the black stuff off very easily and you're left with beautiful roasted red peppers. Chuck em in the blender with the chickpeas and blend the shit out of them.

I have also tried using dry chickpeas instead of canned ones, but I find it annoying to prepare them and I can't get the texture right.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    also, for fanciness, you can dice up whatever you blend in and put some on the hummus when you're finished. Drizzle with olive oil and a dash of paprika.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    V1m wrote: »

melted unsalted butter
    maldon sea salt
    popcorn

The real question is "What are you popping it in"

IMO the only way to pop corn is with a medium to large sized, heavy gauge, stock pot like this. The most important thing is to make sure the pot is roughly twice as tall as it it wide to allow the popped corn to rise up and not burn. I am a big fan of using coconut oil as the popping medium. I'll put a few tablespoons in and heat it until I just start seeing light wisps of smoke coming off the pan. Then I add the popcorn AND the salt. Salt will adhere to the popcorn a lot more effectively if you add it at the beginning and really can't burn. And of course I melt some unsalted butter for finishing.

Edit: A wok is also great for popping corn if you have a lid. It also allows the popped corn to rise up away from the bottom of the pan and not get burnt.

Edit Edit: I made some cuban style blackbean hummus a while back. Turned out really good too.

That_Guy on
    Well it turns out that's not the only way because I popped it in a saucepan with a bit of olive oil

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2016
    If you can't find tahini at local store, Amazon is reasonable.

Shivahn on
    Shivahn wrote: »
    If you can't find tahini at local store, Amazon is reasonable.

If you can't find just about anything you want to use in cooking or baking at a local store, Amazon is very likely to have it these days.

Steam Profile
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Are we talking popcorn? Let's talk popcorn! I use a C&B branded Whirley Pop, and while the aluminum is super thin and kind of chintzy-feeling, the crank mechanism keeps the popcorn moving contantly in the oil and reduces burning. Speaking of oil, I use coconut oil as @That_Guy mentioned, and I put in about 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of Flavacol in with the oil for every 1/3 to 1/2 cup of unpopped kernals. Typically I hate artificial flavors and colors and stuff in my food, but this is the shit they add to movie theater popcorn that gives it that wonderful vibrant yellow color and that je ne sais quoi flavor. I bought mine off the 'zon but you can probably find similar/smaller packages at better-quality grocers.

The good thing about a wok is that you can also use it for steaming food and for shallow frying.

Surprisingly, I don't really use it for stir fry. American BTUs and all that.

This discussion has been closed.