As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cooker? I barely know her! [Cooking Thread]

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    boneless skinless is the worst form of chicken.

And yet I eat tons of it, because it is ostensibly the healthiest form of chicken. Until I put a butter sauce on it.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

And yet I eat tons of it, because it is ostensibly the healthiest form of chicken. Until I put a butter sauce on it.

boneless skinless is nonsense

fat isn't the enemy, that's just what the sugar lobby wanted you to think

i mean obviously don't eat too much fat because everything in moderation but

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    That's just what the moderation lobby wanted you to think

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    hey i gotta get paid somehow

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

It's simple in prep compared to rendering fat out of the skin and getting it crispy but definitely do not breed mass market chicken for flavor and texture.

Few things encourage one to learn to make sauces of various types like eating lots of skinless chicken breast.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

It's simple in prep compared to rendering fat out of the skin and getting it crispy but definitely do not breed mass market chicken for flavor and texture.

Few things encourage one to learn to make sauces of various types like eating lots of skinless chicken breast.

Even for recipes without crispy skin -- soups, casseroles, etc... -- you get a better dish with dark meat.

• Options

Even for recipes without crispy skin -- soups, casseroles, etc... -- you get a better dish with dark meat.

Boneless chicken thighs are a great ingredient for dishes involving cutting up chicken that few people seem to use. The shape is more irregular than with chicken breast but there's a lot more flavor and it's usually cheaper to boot. The ideal cooking temperatures for the dark meat are higher than for white meat, but most of those recipes involving slicing it up before using are going to exceed that easily.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I made chicken quesadillas tonight. No fancy sauces or cremes, just chicken, veggies, and cheese. MMmmm....
    I'm so uncultured.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I did Chicken Marsala -- again -- in the InstantPot last night. And it was arguably the best dish I've made with that thing.

I took a few (boneless skinless) chicken breast and cut them to half thickness, then I threw them in salt+pepper flour and "browned" them (I still call it frying) in butter and olive oil before tossing in with broth, marsala wine, and mushrooms for pressure cooking. The chicken fell apart with a fork, despite me having trouble getting the heat high enough for a proper brown/sear (to the point I tossed some of the pieces into a super hot skillet instead of trying to use the InstantPot).

I think the butter helped a lot with both browning and adding flavor. For once, the chicken wasn't just super dried out, and it still had both flavor and a bit of moisture (though the sauce did most of the work).

Marsala isn't something that couldn't be done without a pressure cooker; it just would take slightly longer. Brown chicken, add mushrooms, add liquid, turn up heat. The recipe adds cornstarch + milk at the end as a thickening agent -- mine ended up in little clumps; I suspect because I should have heated the mixture prior to dumping into the pot.

• Options
    Cornstarch you usually form a fine suspension in cold liquid, then add it. It shouldn't clump if you do that...

Hot water will cause it to clump immediately, which is then very annoying to break up.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Cornstarch you usually form a fine suspension in cold liquid, then add it. It shouldn't clump if you do that...

Hot water will cause it to clump immediately, which is then very annoying to break up.

I usually make my slurry from cornstarch and cold water. I stir until the moment I dump it in or even while I'm dumping it in sometimes.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Boneless chicken thighs are a great ingredient for dishes involving cutting up chicken that few people seem to use. The shape is more irregular than with chicken breast but there's a lot more flavor and it's usually cheaper to boot. The ideal cooking temperatures for the dark meat are higher than for white meat, but most of those recipes involving slicing it up before using are going to exceed that easily.

Yes, but depending on what you do, bone-in thighs are much better. if your frying chicken thighs, then plan to use that grease to impart flavor to something (like a roux), you definately want bone in. Same with soup base.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    In hindsight, it's possible the clumps I was seeing were more likely unbrowned flour than cornstarch.

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I made chicken quesadillas tonight. No fancy sauces or cremes, just chicken, veggies, and cheese. MMmmm....
    I'm so uncultured.

Pfft, you didn't tell us you had tortillas and cheese around. That changes things a bit obviously. Not that one of us wouldn't suggest doing something like slicing the tortillas into strips and crisping them in the pan to use as a crunchy topping for the chicken instead of a quesadilla but still . . .

Steam Profile
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Posting this in both D&D and SE. Emergency!

We're making a ratatouille and we have, like, 4x the veggies chopped that we ended up having space for. We're trying it in cast iron. Is there something else I can do with a ton of sliced squash, zuchinni, eggplant, and red peppers? I don't have any more tomatoes unfortunately.

What an earth could I do with these on short notice? Could I just throw them in a pot with some olive oil and seasonings and stew them?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Have a kick-ass salad

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Posting this in both D&D and SE. Emergency!

We're making a ratatouille and we have, like, 4x the veggies chopped that we ended up having space for. We're trying it in cast iron. Is there something else I can do with a ton of sliced squash, zuchinni, eggplant, and red peppers? I don't have any more tomatoes unfortunately.

What an earth could I do with these on short notice? Could I just throw them in a pot with some olive oil and seasonings and stew them?

Yes you can! Caponata!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/caponata-235724

@Darkewolfe

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    I ended up blanching it all due to advice in SE++. The ratatouille was excellent though.

• Options
    So, I have some blanched and frozen squash and zuchini which held its shape nicely. I also have some blanched eggplant that is going to have to be a stew or filling of some sort. I'm wondering if I should make a squash soup out of all of this or something, since it's my first time blanching and I think everything is going to be a bit mushy when I thaw it. I've done soup with butternut squash a million times, I'm dubious about the zuchini and eggplant.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    If your veg does turn out mushy you could try a take on baba ghanoush, which is traditionally eggplant, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice and some salt and spices. I bet blended squash would go pretty well into that dish. Serve with warm pitas.

• Options
    That... is a super good idea and I want to try it. All the recipes for baba ghanoush call for roasting before slicing though. Hmm.

"Throw it all in a blender with some spices and olive oil, eat it with pita" might not be terrible anyway.

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I did Chicken Marsala -- again -- in the InstantPot last night. And it was arguably the best dish I've made with that thing.

I took a few (boneless skinless) chicken breast and cut them to half thickness, then I threw them in salt+pepper flour and "browned" them (I still call it frying) in butter and olive oil before tossing in with broth, marsala wine, and mushrooms for pressure cooking. The chicken fell apart with a fork, despite me having trouble getting the heat high enough for a proper brown/sear (to the point I tossed some of the pieces into a super hot skillet instead of trying to use the InstantPot).

I think the butter helped a lot with both browning and adding flavor. For once, the chicken wasn't just super dried out, and it still had both flavor and a bit of moisture (though the sauce did most of the work).

Marsala isn't something that couldn't be done without a pressure cooker; it just would take slightly longer. Brown chicken, add mushrooms, add liquid, turn up heat. The recipe adds cornstarch + milk at the end as a thickening agent -- mine ended up in little clumps; I suspect because I should have heated the mixture prior to dumping into the pot.

Is there a specific InstantPot you'd recommend? I get recipes from SkinnyTaste all the time and that author shills for them hardcore, but in a helpful way. I've just got a basic rice cooker/veggie steamer right now and it seems like an InstantPot would be a worthy upgrade.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I started out making risotto and it slowly turning into bacon (as opposed to sausage) jumbalya.

They're basically the same thing right? Just one is more spiced than the other.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    I made this the other day and it was by far the best meatloaf I've ever had.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/238038/chef-johns-prison-style-meatloaf/

It seems strange that more filler makes a better meatloaf, but it totally work. Only thing I changed was using my grocery store's 'meatloaf' mix of beef/pork/veal instead of straight up ground chuck.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

It seems strange that more filler makes a better meatloaf, but it totally work. Only thing I changed was using my grocery store's 'meatloaf' mix of beef/pork/veal instead of straight up ground chuck.

you can basically do the same thing for meat balls.

like the milky bread stuff takes up space when wet and kinda cooks out. So you get less dense softer loaf/balls with a better texture.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options

Is there a specific InstantPot you'd recommend? I get recipes from SkinnyTaste all the time and that author shills for them hardcore, but in a helpful way. I've just got a basic rice cooker/veggie steamer right now and it seems like an InstantPot would be a worthy upgrade.

The 6 quart DUO is the most popular model and often goes on sale during Amazon's bigger sales.

The Smart adds some additional functionality but at a much higher cost. Things like doubling as a limited sous vide setup (that requires calibration unlike most dedicated devices) and preset recipes which may or may not be of use.

The Lux models only operate on high pressure setting.

The Duo does all the stuff one expects an electric pressure cooker to do.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    That... is a super good idea and I want to try it. All the recipes for baba ghanoush call for roasting before slicing though. Hmm.

"Throw it all in a blender with some spices and olive oil, eat it with pita" might not be terrible anyway.

Perhaps try hard frying the aubergine* as you have it before blending. Should add some of that nice smokey roast/fried flavours that you want out of baba ganoush.

*Might stick horribly to the pan. Proceed with caution...

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I put the aubergine under the grill until the skin chars. Works beautiful.

• Options
    @Mai-Kero we were given the Duo at Christmas

• Options
    So today, I took a cue from the grocery flyer. Baby back ribs $1.99/lb and name brand BBQ sauce for cheaper than store brand.

I cut one rack in half and threw it in the crock pot with a half stick of butter (about 4 TBSP) and 2/3 bottle of BBQ sauce. Set on high, go run errands.

4hrs later, I pulled it out of the crock pot onto a sheet pan and glazed the ribs with sauce/drippings. Put them in the oven at 400F for 15 mins. I barely had to chew the meat.

Doing another rack on Tues with a different sauce.

It's cheating using the sauce but both kids are in softball and dance. Plus I couldn't beat the price.

First batch was Honey BBQ and second will be Hawaiian. (Sweet Baby Ray's)

If I wasn't trying to get the kids to eat, I'd add some spicy heat in there somewhere.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Because it was cold and rainy I couldn't do most of the things I needed to do (which was outdoors stuff) so I made chicken soup instead. There were some chicken thighs and a turkey neck in the freezer and we needed space cleared out.

Made it in the usual method (six hours, put in meat and some celery at first for stock, take out meat two-three hours in, add vegetables/seasoning, debone and put meat back in, let it simmer for a few more hours) but this time added garlic mustard that I gathered wild in the woods. Worked well as a fresh green added, kinda like spinach in texture once cooked, though next time I'll just put in leaves and flowers and not include the stems - they were edible but a little chewy. Easily could've added a lot more since it's invasive as heck and didn't take up much room in the pot.

• Options
    I've never heard of garlic mustard. Or do you mean mustard greens?

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Nope. Garlic mustard the invasive weed that destroys forest understories. Chokes out all other species and creates a monoculture of itself. Was originally introduced as a farm herb and it escaped to the wild and spread like wildfire in a drought.

Garlic mustard also makes great pesto (blend with walnuts, cheese, and olive oil). Maybe I'll make some later this week when I start running low on soup.

• Options
    Huh. TIL!

----
    Shifting gears slightly, I want to make a Mississippi Pot Roast out of one of the venison roasts I have in the fridge, but I'm nervous about it drying out and there not being enough liquid for a gravy/au jus. I have 3/4 lb of bacon that needs used up. Questions:

1) Would this work to add fat/liquid for the roast? Should I also add a few cups of water or broth? Is it worth adding some butter?
    2) If I add the bacon, should I cook it ahead of time to render the fat out, or let the Crock Pot handle it?
    3) If I add just pepperoncini juice, will it be too spicy for the fam? (general rule of thumb: the kids say that mild Tostito's salsa is still "too spicy") If I gave them something like a sour cream topping, would that be enough to offset the heat?

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

The Veal really makes a meatloaf stand out from just being a big hamburger. I like to buy one of those premade beef/pork/veal meatloafs, cut it in half, flatten it into two large patties, coat it with katchup and cook it really well. So delicious...

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Huh. TIL!

----
    Shifting gears slightly, I want to make a Mississippi Pot Roast out of one of the venison roasts I have in the fridge, but I'm nervous about it drying out and there not being enough liquid for a gravy/au jus. I have 3/4 lb of bacon that needs used up. Questions:

1) Would this work to add fat/liquid for the roast? Should I also add a few cups of water or broth? Is it worth adding some butter?
    2) If I add the bacon, should I cook it ahead of time to render the fat out, or let the Crock Pot handle it?
    3) If I add just pepperoncini juice, will it be too spicy for the fam? (general rule of thumb: the kids say that mild Tostito's salsa is still "too spicy") If I gave them something like a sour cream topping, would that be enough to offset the heat?

What's wrong with adding some not-too-hoppy ale? I mean if just chucking in a glass of red wine isn't an option (I have no idea what a mississipi pot roast is)

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Huh. TIL!

----

What's wrong with adding some not-too-hoppy ale? I mean if just chucking in a glass of red wine isn't an option (I have no idea what a mississipi pot roast is)

you need to be careful cooking with beer because of the bitterness of the hops.

it can get in places and become a flavor that you don't want.

i generally only cook with really rich stouts because they tend to be really low in hops.

even a non hoppy light ale is dangerous I think

lagers are great for cooking because you can get the delicate malty flavor without a lot of bitterness.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Yeah that's why I specifically said about being not too hoppy.

• Options
    Mississippi Pot Roast:
    Meat
    Ranch Dressing Mix
    Pepperoncinis (at least the juice; but usually the peppers too)

Toss in Crock Pot and enjoy when time is done

---
    I could probably add either wine or some lager (I have Dos Equis and Corona in the fridge) instead of water or broth. I've had good experiences with lagers, so I may give that a run. I'll update with what I end up using. At this point, it's an experiment in "how can I fuck this up the least."

• Options
    Having looked up what ranch dressing mix is, yeah, a very light beer would be fine.

This discussion has been closed.