As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NHL] Boring Trade Deadline, since it wasn't last week..

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aww man just give it to Ovie he was helping the bro out

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    an empty netter would have been nice but I will take it

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OSUJumpMan wrote: »
    Dirty hockey teams? I thought we talked about the Ducks earlier . . .

Yeah, teams who like playing physically are dirty! Hockey is a non-contact sport.

Cleonicus on
    Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heh, I'm shocked to learn that the Ducks are actually only second most penalized. Penguins have a 27 minute lead on them.

Ducks are also tied for the game misconduct lead. Though 10 minute misconducts they are behind quite a few teams with a mere 5.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, we lead the league in Fighting Majors.

(And somewhere near the top in PK% to boot)

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Can't wait for January 8th.

Inventory at work. Have to be at the store for 7 am.

How do I celebrate? Poker night at a girlfriends house + watching the Canucks-Wings game.

It's going to be awesome.

I am hoping so hard Vancouver can be first in the league by tomorrow evening.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Boston vs Buffalo should have been Winter Classic instead. 7-6 Sabres in the shootout!!!

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    shootout!!!

w/ 1 whole save!!!

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rikushix wrote: »
    Can't wait for January 8th.

Inventory at work. Have to be at the store for 7 am.

How do I celebrate? Poker night at a girlfriends house + watching the Canucks-Wings game.

It's going to be awesome.

I am hoping so hard Vancouver can be first in the league by tomorrow evening.

Honestly, it could go Badly. Vancouver plays a stupid number of games in the nextt week or so. They might be worn.

But the Nucks have surprised me before...

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    tofu wrote: »
    This camerawork is terrible

The other Winter Classics weren't like this

I was reading an interview where the people who were doing the setup for the WC contacted the NFL and had them leave their rigging up for the camera on the zip line to try it out. They really need to do it in short bursts on break outs through the neutral zone and thats it, because you quickly lose sight of the puck.

I liked the blimp cam though when it was a little closer, you can see everything developing coming up the ice.

The zip line cam wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't park itself at center ice. What is the point of using it if you are barely going to move it? If it followed play and at worst parked at the blue line it would have been much better.

Vesty on
  • Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cleonicus wrote: »
    Dirty hockey teams? I thought we talked about the Ducks earlier . . .

Yeah, teams who like playing physically are dirty! Hockey is a non-contact sport.

It's not the physical play itself that I have a problem with. Besides, any team that has Corey Perry on it will be appropriately considered dirty by the rest of the league.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MatthasnopantsMatthasnopants Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    is it just me or does it sound like there are a significant amount of Caps fan there?

iirc the league dictated that more tickets were sold in DC than in Pittsburgh.

The Capitals sold 20,000 tickets. Attendance was ~68,000.

Matthasnopants on
  • Options
    ShockwaveShockwave Back In Black Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nucks' beat Avs 2-1, both teams played really well, but Lu stone-walled them tonight.

Shockwave on
    shockwavesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cam Janssen sure is chatty while he gets punched in the face.

Rei on
  • Options
    3v3v Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When the fuck did Steve Ott get an A?

3v on
    512285-1.png
    PantsB wrote: »
    Koreans 4 Gate like this
    White People 4 gate like this
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oho!

0StTw.png

edit: added a convenient red box

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    man, 7 teams from the East in the bottom 10 (bottom 9 really).

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    And 4 in the top 6

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yes indeed, Vancouver has a meaningless seed so that Lidstrom can score 90 foot goals in Vancouver instead of in Detroit. :P

Also, Pavel get healthy. :(

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    And 4 in the top 6

you don't think having 4 in the top 6 has ANYTHING to do with having half the conference being suck?

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    No. I think the Oilers are about on par with the Islanders.

And the Flames are about on par with the Leafs.

And obviously the Devils are super terrible.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    please, of your 4 of the top 6 in the east, only the Penguins have a winning record against the west. In the west, only Phoenix and Minnesota have losing records against the east.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    1994 	New York Rangers (EC) 	Mike Keenan 	Vancouver Canucks (WC) 	Pat Quinn 	4–3 	Mark Messier (13:29, second)
    1995 	New Jersey Devils (EC) 	Jacques Lemaire 	Detroit Red Wings (WC) 	Scotty Bowman 	4–0 	Neal Broten (7:56, second)
    1996 	Colorado Avalanche (WC) 	Marc Crawford 	Florida Panthers (EC) 	Doug MacLean 	4–0 	Uwe Krupp (4:31, third OT)
    1997 	Detroit Red Wings (WC) 	Scotty Bowman 	Philadelphia Flyers (EC) 	Terry Murray 	4–0 	Darren McCarty (13:02, second)
    1998 	Detroit Red Wings (WC) 	Scotty Bowman 	Washington Capitals (EC) 	Ron Wilson 	4–0 	Martin Lapointe (2:26, second)
    1999 	Dallas Stars (WC) 	Ken Hitchcock 	Buffalo Sabres (EC) 	Lindy Ruff 	4–2 	Brett Hull (14:51, third OT)
    2000 	New Jersey Devils (EC) 	Larry Robinson 	Dallas Stars (WC) 	Ken Hitchcock 	4–2 	Jason Arnott (8:20, second OT)
    2001 	Colorado Avalanche (WC) 	Bob Hartley 	New Jersey Devils (EC) 	Larry Robinson 	4–3 	Alex Tanguay (4:57, second)
    2002 	Detroit Red Wings (WC) 	Scotty Bowman 	Carolina Hurricanes (EC) 	Paul Maurice 	4–1 	Brendan Shanahan (14:04, second)
    2003 	New Jersey Devils (EC) 	Pat Burns 	Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (WC) 	Mike Babcock 	4–3 	Michael Rupp (2:22, second)
    2004 	Tampa Bay Lightning (EC) 	John Tortorella 	Calgary Flames (WC) 	Darryl Sutter 	4–3 	Ruslan Fedotenko (14:38, second)
    2005 	Season cancelled due to labour dispute
    2006 	Carolina Hurricanes (EC) 	Peter Laviolette 	Edmonton Oilers (WC) 	Craig MacTavish 	4–3 	Frantisek Kaberle (4:18, second)
    2007 	Anaheim Ducks (WC) 	Randy Carlyle 	Ottawa Senators (EC) 	Bryan Murray 	4–1 	Travis Moen (15:44, second)
    2008 	Detroit Red Wings (WC) 	Mike Babcock 	Pittsburgh Penguins (EC) 	Michel Therrien 	4–2 	Henrik Zetterberg (7:36, third)
    2009 	Pittsburgh Penguins (EC) 	Dan Bylsma 	Detroit Red Wings (WC) 	Mike Babcock 	4–3 	Maxime Talbot (10:07, second)
    2010 	Chicago Blackhawks (WC) 	Joel Quenneville 	Philadelphia Flyers (EC) 	Peter Laviolette 	4–2 	Patrick Kane (4:06, OT)

7(Eastern)-9(Western) since their inception.

Pretty much even.

(is it just me or is the Penguins website the third result in a google search for Stanley Cup?)

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That doesn't say a lot about the current quality. And 3 of the 7 Eastern Conference wins are because they had the best goalie ever.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    goalies are the great unequalizer

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Fortunately there aren't any truly dominant goalies in the league at the moment.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    And my point was not that every team in the East is bad. There's just much less competition for those playoff spots. In the West 13th place is only 4 points out of 8th. In the East 13th place is 13 points out of 8th. I wish my team was in the East and had an easier road to the playoffs.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I like to think that Vokoun and Ward are two of the best.

Thankfully they are enjoying their time on crap teams, so no one has to worry about either of 'em.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    please, of your 4 of the top 6 in the east, only the Penguins have a winning record against the west. In the west, only Phoenix and Minnesota have losing records against the east.

I consider 2-2-1 to be a losing record, since they won less than 50% of the games.

Same with 4-4-1.

So, the Flyers and Capitals are both as good against out of conference teams as the Red Wings. (And the Flames, but like the Panthers, they suck and no one cares about them)

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Regardless of what you say, the competition in the West is veeeerrry tight compared to the East. That the Caps can go on an epic losing streak and still be 4th in the conference is mind bobbling.

No such luxury in the west.

Anyways, this week is tight for the Canucks with a lot of games. I hope they make the most of it.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have to go with JumpMan on this one. The Western Conference has just been the more difficult conference for a few years now, period.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Fuck.

Even my team (PA League leader edit: Next year we should turn down the value of hits and PIMs slightly I think)) has more Western Conference players than East.

Edit 2: Anyone want a Goalie? I have 3 starters plus a top notch backup. Take your pick if the offer is worth it.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Never thought I'd see the day when the Canucks were in first. :D

That said, plenty of first place teams have failed horribly in the playoffs, so my expectations are still sufficiently tempered. :P

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aww yeah, comeback for the win!

So I guess it's really a battle to see who comes in second, since Burtletoy shows no sign of any weakness.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone else coming to the WJC Semi-Final game tonight? I expect an unreal atmosphere.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Aww yeah, comeback for the win!

So I guess it's really a battle to see who comes in second, since Burtletoy shows no sign of any weakness.

iirc, the last 4 weeks of the NHL regular season are the fantasy league playoffs.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Next year we should turn down the value of hits and PIMs slightly I think.

I disagree.

No, this has nothing to do with the fact that I lead the league in both categories.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Shockwave wrote: »
    Nucks' beat Avs 2-1, both teams played really well, but Lu stone-walled them tonight.

ept_sports_nhl_experts-108338463-1294043543.jpg?ymX2xVEDi6YzpJ8n

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also, have you guys seen this The Guardians thing the NHL is doing? It's pretty fucking stupid.
    Puck Daddy wrote:
    So far, two of these Guardians have been unveiled: the imaginatively-named protectors of the Penguins ("The Penguin") and Kings ("The King"). I wish that I were making these monikers up, but I'm not.

The Penguin's super powers include the ability to fire ice missiles and look, as Greg pointed out the other day, suspiciously like Cyclops from the X-Men. The King has a force field and carries a shield. I'm not sure why he would need both of those things.

If you really want a laugh, check out the project's Twitter page, which is chock full of information you never wanted to see, or indeed, imagine. "The Duck Guardian is described as 'Rebel with a trust fund.'" I don't even know what that means! Ducks, stereotypically, don't have trust funds as far as I know. And what could one rebel against? Eating bread quietly next to a park bench?

Burtletoy on