As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Offensive Game Ads And You

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's just amazing how much bad advertising Sony alone has brought about in the last few years. It's like their entire marketing department consisted of aliens from the 10th dimension who had no idea what human beings liked and what repulsed them. At least they've learned from mistakes since then, though, at least somewhat.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Help me think of some other controversial ads.
    There were those Forsaken ads that ran for like two years, that showed an entirely naked woman with a tattoo on her hip standing in front of a blighted landscape and absolutely nothing about the game.

There was also another Sony of Europe one that for the Playstation's birthday or something, they had a guy with kind of a smug smile on his face wearing a crown of thorns with the triangle, square, circle and X made out of the branches/thorns.

Kinda went over about as well as a turd in a punch bowl. I think it was either in Italy or Spain as well so they REALLY didn't care for it.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I remember this crazy resort campaign crap.

[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psd8oVToS8k]Apparently NSFW?[/vidurl]

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    There were those Forsaken ads that ran for like two years, that showed an entirely naked woman with a tattoo on her hip standing in front of a blighted landscape and absolutely nothing about the game.

There was also another Sony of Europe one that for the Playstation's birthday or something, they had a guy with kind of a smug smile on his face wearing a crown of thorns with the triangle, square, circle and X made out of the branches/thorns.

Kinda went over about as well as a turd in a punch bowl. I think it was either in Italy or Spain as well so they REALLY didn't care for it.

Don't forget the God of War party where they slaughtered a goat, while having topless girls feeding guests grapes.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »

Don't forget the God of War party where they slaughtered a goat, while having topless girls feeding guests grapes.

When in Rome..

Magus` on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/bulge-puts-virgin-in-tight-spot-1387425.html

Earthworm Jim's "Get your worm out for the birds" caused a stir back in the day.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The first ad I thought of on this subject was the famous Fear Effect 2 ads.

Ad: Buy our game! There are LESBIANS in it!

Me: Okay, but what's the game about? I mean how do you...

Ad: LESBIANS!

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaVsmnpEtE0

this is like one of those jokes where, somewhere in there it's kind of funny and it conveys a particular message, but you just can't get the specifics of it right

and then you say fuck it and go with the rough draft

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man I never got the controversy with the Xbox finger-guns one.

That whole ad was just inspired.

Inspired by Spaced, you mean.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Let's not forget the rape-y Juiced commercial from a couple years back. I just saw it again, and it still disgusts me.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My all-time favorite, though, is probably the Daikatana 'Suck it Down' ads. Just the epitome of arrogant and offensive ads, all done on one page.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It's horrible, but it's not....offensive....?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU

what

the

fuck

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    It's horrible, but it's not....offensive....?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU

what

the

fuck

Playstation has the weirdest ads. Admittedly none of the others are quite as weird as that.

But this one is still quite odd

Starcross on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sony went through a period of marketing with just... really awful commercials like that. The goat thing, the black and white psp adds, the fucking horrible baby

I mean it was just terrible, and they probably paid millions for it

override367 on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Whose commercials were the racist squirrels?

They were p bad.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Google "racist squirrels" and it comes up with PSP ads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qUECCA3qMA

And surprise surprise, this ad campaign didn't stop there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgciDwjSmOs

CowShark on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You mean these?

I'm not sure if they're offensive, but they are terrible.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Wow.

They aren't the squirrels of which I spoke.

My squirrels were CGI and in a park. Clearly the Sony continued the campaign in a bizarre fashion.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anyone remember the old Turok ads?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RavivOtBvHk

I don't think these were widely regarded as offensive, but they left a bad taste in my mouth: crossing over video games with quite visceral real-world injury seemed like it completely misunderstood the idea of the whole medium.

Whereas the MS fingerguns and Call of Duty ad seemed like they kind of lampshaded the whole absurdity and fantasy fulfillment, and well, fun, of video games.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Let's not forget the rape-y Juiced commercial from a couple years back. I just saw it again, and it still disgusts me.

Is that the one mentioned earlier where they use their controllers to make a woman's breasts bigger and strip her naked?

Because yeah, that commercial was pretty fucking disgusting on multiple levels.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't find ads offensive that are depictions of the game honestly. What do people think you're going to do in a game called "Move into the Fight"? Just because you don't have an ad of someone punching someone else doesn't make the game not about punching someone else. Same as the Hitman ad, the people they're marketing Hitman to will respond to that kind of ad, because that's what you do in Hitman. The PSP ones I only find offensive in the sense that someone was either too dumb to realize how those ads would be taken, or thought they were going to be "edgy" and sneak one by everyone else.

I was kind of dumbfounded by the criticism for that Hitman ad. I would have understood it, though disagreed, if the criticism had simply been that the woman was wearing too few clothes, or that the depiction of violence was too graphic.

But the criticism, IIRC, was that it seemed to condone violence against women.

No shit. It's a game where you kill people. For money. Obviously they are going to encourage you to (strictly within the game, of course) commit heinous acts of violence against people who may be women. But why does it matter? Why is the moral outrage reserved for women being targeted? I'd think that if the idea of a game having you shoot people (Who are almost all scumbags to some degree, but that is neither here nor there) is terribly offensive to you, it should be terribly offensive to you regardless of the genders of the victims.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Res wrote: »
    I don't find ads offensive that are depictions of the game honestly. What do people think you're going to do in a game called "Move into the Fight"? Just because you don't have an ad of someone punching someone else doesn't make the game not about punching someone else. Same as the Hitman ad, the people they're marketing Hitman to will respond to that kind of ad, because that's what you do in Hitman. The PSP ones I only find offensive in the sense that someone was either too dumb to realize how those ads would be taken, or thought they were going to be "edgy" and sneak one by everyone else.

I was kind of dumbfounded by the criticism for that Hitman ad. I would have understood it, though disagreed, if the criticism had simply been that the woman was wearing too few clothes, or that the depiction of violence was too graphic.

No shit. It's a game where you kill people. For money. Obviously they are going to encourage you to (strictly within the game, of course) commit heinous acts of violence against people who may be women. But why does it matter? Why is the moral outrage reserved for women being targeted? I'd think that if the idea of a game having you shoot people (Who are almost all scumbags to some degree, but that is neither here nor there) is terribly offensive to you, it should be terribly offensive to you regardless of the genders of the victims.

It's pretty comparable to the start of Sin City.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    And here I thought this would be a thread about how game ads pander to the lowest stereotypical common denominator with a barrage of OMG BOOBS AND GUNS and how that insults our intelligence as both gamers and men. Nuts.

Peen on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Res wrote: »

It's pretty comparable to the start of Sin City.

I've never seen that.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I found the Call of Duty one with all the corporate drone types fighting it out in a far too realistic battlefield to be mildly disturbing

The fact that they never showed anyone being shot--just people shooting in various directions, and a helicopter exploding--kind of highlights how disturbing the commercial is if you think about it.
    I was impressed with the small unit tactics of the girl with the shotgun and her two friends when they knock down that door, though.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaVsmnpEtE0

this is like one of those jokes where, somewhere in there it's kind of funny and it conveys a particular message, but you just can't get the specifics of it right

I'm confused. Are you saying this ad is offensive or not?

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Starcross wrote: »
    Playstation has the weirdest ads. Admittedly none of the others are quite as weird as that.
    That chick's face is going to be in my nightmares.

The setting of that ad makes me think she's a mutant or alien/human hybrid being interviewed in some secret government facility. It's unsettling.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    <Uncharted 2 Ad>

I'm confused. Are you saying this ad is offensive or not?

I think the dude was saying it's just a poor ad, but you could consider it offensive to women.

CowShark on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not a fan of the new Sony line with white guy in a suit I don't care about acting kind of like a smug douche bag, but they're still such a huge step over "creepy baby going to kill me in my sleep" that Sony had tried previously.

I'm fairly certain that's why people were so enamored with that smug guy in the tie. It's not some sort of satanic, possessed baby that will chew your eyeballs out.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I mean, I haven't run out and bought a PS3

But he does make me chuckle every now and then

They still haven't topped "Regional Manager of War" though

glithert on
  • Options
    KongoKongo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Apparently this ad was considered offensive when it came out and got pulled.
    This one was banned too, and I think both are actually really effective and creative commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRt0s_BJEyo&feature=related

I love that one

The newer black ops one reminds me of it a little
    We have Spaced to thank for all of it though.

Spaced has David Bowie and Trent Reznor to thank (from 1997).

Behold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slKNd22GGaQ

Kongo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Is that the one mentioned earlier where they use their controllers to make a woman's breasts bigger and strip her naked?

Because yeah, that commercial was pretty fucking disgusting on multiple levels.

Yep, that's the one.

For those that don't know, it's basically two stoner shitheads sitting in a car, which apparently has a game console with TV in it, customizing some car in the game. They notice a girl on the street has her shirt color changing to the same color as the car in game, so they try removing pieces of the car, which results in her skirt getting shorter. A huge rape-tastic grin spreads across their faces, and they turn furiously to the game and start stripping everything from the car, resulting in her standing there on the street in nothing but a pair of panties.

It's just so fucking revolting. If I could meet the person that made that ad, I would punch that fucker in the face. 100% no hyperbole.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I don't...

was it like an internet ad?

Because you can't show breasts on US TV.

So like...where the hell would it have ever aired?

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I don't know. Anywhere you find it on the net, it's just listed as banned. My guess is it was specifically made for the net.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hell it was probably made to be banned then 'leaked' to the net as some sort of viral campaign.

Kagera on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    I remember this crazy resort campaign crap.

NSFW://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psd8oVToS8k

FYI to those who can watch youtube at work: Probably want to skip that one.

[Edit] Since reading threads backwards isn't standard practice, Kag you might want to mention that.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Jee-sus. What in the hell was their angle there?

Juiced: If we made it any cooler, you could use it to restrain, strip, and humiliate women in public!

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    myownsummermyownsummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I remember my parents were pretty shocked when they saw this in one of my gaming magazines when I was like 10:

(linked because it's pretty borderline NSFW)

http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps2/games/features/images/53238-2.jpg

Sega got all kinds of racy near the late Saturn / pre-Dreamcast era. I also remember that weird one Burning Rangers (Saturn) that was nothing more than a scorched fire fighter sitting in a kiddie pool.

myownsummer on
    rosievp6.jpg
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm confused by the inclusion of the CoD : BO add in the thread. I always took it to be an ad about the cross-demographic appeal of video games(which they are exaggerating in their case I'm sure). Not knowing about the celebs they showed in particular I know there are some celebrities that are pretty big video game fans. Maybe trying to move away from the obsessive 20 year old male slacker, as the default 'FPS player' image.

Sorta reminds me of the scene in fight club where hes walking into random businesses, and is constantly running into people with black-eyes or broken noses from various walks of life.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

This ad convinced me that what people find offensive and what should be offensive have nothing to do with each other.

I love this ad.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.