As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATMAN] Where Are You?!? Here. Arkham City Out Now

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Contacted GMG about the possibility of canceling the PC pre-order; I'm basically waiting until the last possible minute to determine whether I'll be getting it on console or not.

Also, have any comparisons been reported yet between the PS3 and 360 versions? I've heard mixed results on which version of AA was the better between the two. I originally read PS3, but some people are reporting 360.

As for another confirmation, has it been confirmed/denied if Scarecrow will return? I replayed the first encounter on PC last night, and his encounters are still the best moments of that game.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559795813692174392/7B6CB4D322BA49E6B630C68FEE5949BC57E1E53A/

I would love a reappearance, especially if it happened literally out of nowhere like his later ones in AA (screen of death).

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    You have numbers in your screen name so you have to wait till after Christmas.

I've played through Arkham City multiple times now, as the numbers in my name are the key components to time travel equations. So there! :P

Yes, The Doctor has a PhD in time travel as well as horrible TOTPs!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Yes, they're the best encounters of the game...if you like sudden detours into tedious, mediocre platforming.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    Yes, they're the best encounters of the game...if you like sudden detours into tedious, mediocre platforming.

The parts right before the platforming were all awesome though.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Snugglesworth, where the hell did you hear that the PS3 version of AA is better

It is a bold-faced lie

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/face-off-batman-arkham-asylum-face-off

Gaslight wrote:

I said they were the best encounters...I didn't say they were the most fun.

The bit where you play as
    Young Bruce

was amazing. Like, Konami should hire Rocksteady to make the next Silent Hill or something.

I really do hope that with all the constant updates and confirmations with AC, they're keeping Scarecrow's involvement completely tight-lipped. I want to randomly walk into an alleyway with no build-up whatsoever only to have some out of nowhere nightmare sequence occur.

Oh man... the third(?) time

Brilliant... I don't think there's anyone who didn't freak out.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:

Only problem is that it won't have the same effect if they do a repeat.

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:

I didn't.
    You didn't say no one who didn't read about it beforehand. Ha! ...Seriously. Don't read spoilers if you plan on truly enjoying a game. Ruins it completely.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh man. That was absolutely the best "what the fuck is going on?!" feeling I got out of a game since Eternal Darkness.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    I didn't fall for it

But that's because I played it on PS3 the first time

I would have freaked out on the 360 :P

The revamped Scarecrow from TAS (2nd generation, or whatever the fan term is for the season featuring Kid Robin) was still the absolute best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owaMoWmD2vE

Sigh, making myself sad again there's no Timm/Dini Batman series on TV. Why won't Adult Swim or someone just pony up so we can have weekly episodes instead of annual movies?

• l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    The saddest thing about AC is that we probably won't get to hear angry posts about how the game totally keeps hardlocking and resetting at a certain point and that they hate this stupid buggy piece of crap game. Those were my favorite posts.

edited October 2011
    I do have good news for you! in 2013, Cartoon Network will show Beware the Batman, which will give us all the crappily-designed CGI, random Japanese chick not-Robin and gun-toting Alfred we've been demanding!

bewarethebatmanscreencap.jpg

I honestly wish I were kidding.

cloudeagle on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    That's totally bad fan art and not real. You're lying. They couldn't do this to batman. He's the goddamn batman.

Although Alfred with guns IS completely badass.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    Featuring Pigman, The Chameleon and that one chick from The Incredibles...?

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I read about this a week ago, I think. They're trying to focus on lesser-known villains. And Batman looks like he's anorexic.

Can't be any worse than The Brave and the Bold!

The saddest thing about AC is that we probably won't get to hear angry posts about how the game totally keeps hardlocking and resetting at a certain point and that they hate this stupid buggy piece of crap game. Those were my favorite posts.

Wait for the PC version.
    cloudeagle wrote:
    I do have good news for you! in 2013, Cartoon Network will show Beware the Batman, which will give us all the crappily-designed CGI, random Japanese chick not-Robin and gun-toting Alfred we've been demanding!

Yes, I was aware of that.

The Captain America sandwich joke keeps ringing in my head every time I see that Anorexic Bats pic. Mother of fuck, why does DC keep not using Timmverse for their series? Did they piss off DC in some way?

Renzo wrote:

I find The Brave and the Bold to be charming. I havent seen too much of it, but it seemed like a modern day cartoon version of the Adam West show

Seriously, I am so unnerved by this.

Every day I keep praying that we get an actual animated Batman series with a TV 14 rating or something, where we can look forward to awesome stuff like this every week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HziQVWw0Kg

Why? Why won't this happen? You want to make a Batman for kids, fine! Go ahead! But give us adults something to chew on too! The movies are great but they're too far spread out. I want a series with a season-long crime arc.

Dammit. :(

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    RE Scarecrow bits
    I swittched my 360 off the first time the screen went funny. Ofcoursse my 360 was a replacement from another that RROD'd so I was naturally wary of it. That didn't stop it from dying right after the final Scarecrow sequence anyway :lol:
    And yes, I thought it was the game fucking with me again. I got hit twice

I can't see it being too much of an issue on the PC though. I reckon most people will see past it but then I already experienced it before so maybe I'm reading it all wrong.

Skull2185 wrote:
    Featuring Pigman, The Chameleon and that one chick from The Incredibles...?

That's Professor Pyg, a creation of Grant Morrison's who's generally indistinguishable from the Mad Hatter (right down to the mind control and literary-talk) other than the fact that he's fat and more disgusting. As in, his victims get masks permanently bonded to them that can't be removed, even with surgery.

There's really no way they can adapt him to a kid-friendly show without turning him into something from the 60s series.

• l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote:
    I read about this a week ago, I think. They're trying to focus on lesser-known villains. And Batman looks like he's anorexic.

http://youtu.be/bUjG1HSSaGI

Brave and the Bold owns, sorry.

The Brave and the Bold is fantastic

I wonder what it's like to be dead inside

But you know what? Alfred with guns? That doesn't sound completely terrible. Everything else about that picture does though

Renzo wrote:

http://youtu.be/bUjG1HSSaGI

Brave and the Bold owns, sorry.

Oh my lord, yes. Plastic Man, essentially turning Aquaman into The Tick, a musical episode with Neil Patrick Harris, etc. And this is how they chose to end the series (the thing CrappyJack posted was the unrelated intro to this):
    When Bat-Mite has grown weary of Batman: The Brave and the Bold, deeming its formula to be tired and repetitive, he concocts a scheme to make it so bad that the network will have to cancel the show to make way for a darker one. Can Ambush Bug thwart his plan before it's too late?

Yet somehow Batman retains his integrity through out all the goofy weirdness. Good stuff.

• ryvenryven Registered User regular
    that cgi batman series looks awful and thats just from a picture lol

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    If Alfred gets guns, I demand Batman gets a giant robot.

And also that the girl with the sword is a robot.
    tumblr_lhkomhWbkX1qeghpao1_500.jpg

• BebopSamuraiBebopSamurai Registered User regular
    Seems right in line with Cartoon Network's current policy-- FUCK ACTUAL CARTOONS / MORE CGI BULLSHIT AND KIDDIE REALITY SHOWS

I'd heard that they were actually going to leave Scarecrow out entirely from "Arkham City"-- a bit odd, sure, but better than just trying to top/recapture what was already the peak of the first game for a lot of us.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113114-Rumor-Scarecrow-Wont-Be-Terrorizing-Arkham-City

(On the subject of other Rocksteady-Batman games, I kind of feel like they should stop here. The game itself will determine just how much mileage could actually be gotten out of it, but it seems like they're going big and going out that way. Batman Beyond would be a pretty slick setting though...)

Gamertag: DrinksYurMlkshk
    PSN ID: suzukaGongen
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:

I see the main villain this time around will be Star Wolf.

s7Imn5J.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Why the fuck can't we get Genndy Tartakovsky and Paul Dini together for an awesome animated series?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    edited October 2011
    Because it wouldn't be awesome with Tartakovsky attached

Goddamn I hate that man's art style. I'd rather see Stephen Silver

OPINION

EDIT: Whoa, Tartakovsky did animation work on Korgoth of Barbaria? Despite only being one episode, that show was fantastic. The animation wasn't great though! I just don't think his style is a great fit for Batman.

UnbreakableVow on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Then, good sir, we shall be beholden to disagree.

Honestly, I'd just take old episodes of TAS overdubbed with new dialog. ANYTHING.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Why the fuck can't we get Genndy Tartakovsky and Paul Dini together for an awesome animated series?

My heart explodes with joy at the thought of this happening... and it never will :(

Why the fuck can't we get Greg Weisman and Paul Dini together for an awesome animated series?

No offense to Tartakovsky, it's just that Weisman fits better. I guess Young Justice would be the closest end result of that.

YJ happens to be quite good, so I'd certainly like more shows like that.

Looked at the supposed prices for the DLC packs.

Stopped my Best Buy on the way home, used a Rewards Zone cert to get 1600 microsoft space bux for $15.

#partoftheproblem

• Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    For those wanting great animated Batman, I'm pretty sure Year One comes out this month. I caught the screening at Comic-Con and I think it may be the best animated batman film (not gonna compare it to the series) I've seen. Maybe a step behind Phantasm, I'll have to rewatch it when it comes out but I was completely blown away at the time (think way darker than the previous Direct to DVD films, also pretty faithful).

Also yes, I'd like to see the 90s series on a station other than the weird disney cartoon channel that I don't get

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Snugglesworth, where the hell did you hear that the PS3 version of AA is better

It is a bold-faced lie

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/face-off-batman-arkham-asylum-face-off

I hear it a lot too. I think it's based off the "It come with Joker Challenges" line of thinking.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Guys, this thread is about Arkham City and not the various Batman cartoons.

• ryvenryven Registered User regular
    i know, we're all just going batty with anticipation

I'm getting Arkham City close to the release date, but now I'm considering playing it after December 6 just so I can have my pick of costumes for the singleplayer.

This discussion has been closed.